1 ... 3 4 5
smokindav
smokindav New Reader
8/24/15 9:32 p.m.

I can already tell from the first picture that this is going to be fixing epic and I desperately want to do the exact same thing!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: How the hell did we end up here? Last winter my highschool friend Masterchef, who long ago moved to Chicago, was visiting me in PA. "Hey, do you want to buy an old car and drive Route 66 this summer?" Why yes, yes I do- and a couple of weeks ago we landed at LAX and set off to do just that. This isn't a build thread really, but the story revolves around the car, so I figured this was still the right section for it. I'm going from memory here, so not everything is going to be entirely accurate in terms of time/location (did that happen in AZ? NM? I can't remember, so I'll just pick one).
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
8/25/15 8:11 a.m.

I too felt the urge to hit craigslist after reading this. Only instead of LA to NYC, I was thinking Seattle to Daytona Beach. Then I stumbled upon this gem.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5129611003.html

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
8/25/15 8:16 a.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham:

One of our other ideas was to do the Oregon Trail in a wagon- that looks about perfect

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/25/15 10:53 a.m.
Ed Higginbotham wrote: I too felt the urge to hit craigslist after reading this. Only instead of LA to NYC, I was thinking Seattle to Daytona Beach. Then I stumbled upon this gem. https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5129611003.html

Neat car - shame about the automatic and single-4WD. If it were a 5 spd with dual-range - oh boy...

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
8/25/15 12:08 p.m.

Someone buy the Maverick: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/1977-maverick-ultimate-road-trip-car/105043/page1/

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/15 1:01 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: In reply to Ed Higginbotham: One of our other ideas was to do the Oregon Trail in a wagon- that looks about perfect

oooooooooo. I like this idea. a lot.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
8/28/15 10:24 p.m.

this was a very funny funny threard. thanks for sharing this epic road trip. i think i might have to think about something like this come time for the challange to and from florida to wisconsin vai back roads...sigh and i was hoping to find something that might chanllange the big tanks comeing. not i might have to find something weird to bring....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
9/30/15 1:45 p.m.

Well guys, the car has been sold to a fellow GRM forum member. What is the next journey you ask? Rumor has it the car will head north next summer, but I guess we'll have to wait and see!

java230
java230 Reader
9/30/15 2:18 p.m.

Sweet! Glad a GRM'er picked it up, hopefully it makes another road trip.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/10/18 9:39 p.m.

dammit Chris, for some reason i just re-read this thread again and now I'm spending all evening trying to figure out how I can pull off 6,000 miles cross-country and back in the 924 (both financially and in "trust in a car I can't just get spare parts for in the middle of Nebraska easily").

I still think this would be the ultimate cross-country vintage road trip car if I can build up enough trust that it would make it the whole way and back. Because i really want to drive it down the PCH :)

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/10/18 9:40 p.m.

also, I wish all your photos still worked.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
9/11/18 5:55 a.m.
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/11/18 7:53 a.m.

In reply to irish44j :

A loop around the country is one of my plans for my 1800ES if I ever get it done.  They are such awesome road trip cars.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aZzZGFYHinha2TwaIDzmJ6imwnI0hxSGAXfDSomXg5YwOZVUWzUOKHacmI5zguSq