1 2
DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
6/20/17 10:05 p.m.

Tomorrow I'm heading to northern PA to do some Jeepin' in the mountains with a couple hundred of my closest friends. I'm heading to the Jeep Jamboree.
I've owned lots of Jeeps, but currently don't have one. Work is sending me there in THEIR six-figure Jeep to bash around for a few days. I'm leaving in the AM, but the wheeling doesn't start 'till Friday. I'll post pics as I can, hopefully each night. Maybe some videos too.
Here's the Jeep, sitting next to my lowered Volvo

That's a 4-door Jeep, sitting on 40" tires bolted to Dana 60's with Eaton electric lockers in both ends. The long-arm suspension rides amazing, almost as well as the Grand Wagoneer I had many moons ago.
Here's the beast loaded up.

That Cummins pulls incredibly well, can't wait to put some miles under it and see what kind of fuel economy I can get.

Here's a shot of the Jeep in action, on a trip to Moab that I had to turn down.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/21/17 7:44 a.m.

It's a Jeep thing. We all understand.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/21/17 7:58 a.m.

What part of northern Pennsylvania?

If you're going to the Allegany national forrest, be cautious of mud holes. Some are abandoned mine shafts that have filled with water. We lost a few dirt bikes in them back in the 80s.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/21/17 8:04 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: What part of northern Pennsylvania? If you're going to the Allegany national forrest, be cautious of mud holes. Some are abandoned mine shafts that have filled with water. We lost a few dirt bikes in them back in the 80s.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/21/17 8:10 a.m.

Six-figure Jeep?(!)

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/21/17 8:19 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

Yup. Some spooky and dangerous stuff in those woods back then. Probably been fixed by now, but no guarantee.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
6/21/17 8:27 a.m.

In reply to Ransom:

Yeah. They must not have done much to it. Most of the 4dr jeep crowd would be embarrassed to have spent so little on one.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/17 9:15 a.m.

I know all about those mud holes. Use to go to the Allegheny NF all of the time as a kid. Usually spent a month a year there with the different weekends and such. My dad grew up in Bradford so we would camp and hike those woods a lot.

Shoot, I learned how to drive in those woods as a 12 y/o kid in a rusted out jeep.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
6/21/17 11:32 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: What part of northern Pennsylvania? If you're going to the Allegany national forrest, be cautious of mud holes. Some are abandoned mine shafts that have filled with water. We lost a few dirt bikes in them back in the 80s.

We're going to be in/around Bedford. If I retrieve s dirt bike, is there a reward?

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
6/21/17 11:37 a.m.

1st trip report:
Outside Freemont OH, enjoying the best service plaza food there is
The RAM is great! Comfy, great sound system, and the two best features thus far:
1 - a jake brake that makes me feel manly.
2 - seat cooling fans toward off monkey butt.
The truck is getting about 24 MPG

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/21/17 12:35 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider:

You didnt happen to come to kane, did you? I grew up off highway 6 between kane and ludlow.....

Drboost: no reward, but massive kudos!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
6/21/17 12:36 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

Whatever you do, don't fart when you have the seat cooling fans on. It's bad man.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/17 1:45 p.m.

Bedford eh? Hour and a half east of me on route 30.

I might have to wander out and watch.

Feel free to stop by for a bite on your way home after

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
6/21/17 4:12 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: In reply to DrBoost: Whatever you do, don't fart when you have the seat cooling fans on. It's bad man.

To late, already found that out. Then I found the 3rd best part of the truck: the power rear window

GladlyTheCrossEyedBear
GladlyTheCrossEyedBear GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/22/17 12:52 a.m.

Dr Boost!!! Looks like a fun trip and great to see that the battle wagon lives! Sorry to miss you when you were out Portland way. I didn't see your post till days after you'd left. If you come out again, give me a heads up and I'll show you around. Shiny side up!

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
6/22/17 6:16 a.m.

Hey Gladly! The Volvo lives and is great! I get compliments all the time. People are telling me I need to tint the windows to make it look meaner.
This is my second Volvo, first was a doo-doo brown 240. They make very good cars, those Sweedes.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/22/17 10:20 p.m.

In reply to dusterbd13:

Yeah, We went through Kane all of the time. We would usually stay closer to Bradford just because of family. It was the summer ritual where we would go and load up the Winnebago and spend 2-4 weeks in the woods. I grew up in Harborcreek.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
6/23/17 12:20 p.m.

Wheelin' update:
It's been POURING all day, upping the level of difficulty 3 points on the scale easy! I can't upload pics because I fear for the evil photobucket will do to my phone, plus the spotty signlal here. I'll post when I can.
The JL is a big girl, and Dana 60s and 40" tires make it even worse. But no stucks yet (5.38 gears and Eaton lockers help) and no carnage. But the top did come less than 1" from kissing a tree.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/23/17 9:12 p.m.

Forget the wheeling, how is the Jeep Jamboree food?

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
6/23/17 11:28 p.m.

Is the park where you are open to the public for wheeling? I'm a bit west of the area out in Erie but I've been looking for a place to take my truck and play around on some trails.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
6/24/17 5:28 a.m.
Nitroracer wrote: Is the park where you are open to the public for wheeling? I'm a bit west of the area out in Erie but I've been looking for a place to take my truck and play around on some trails.

100% private land. Sorry

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
6/24/17 7:53 a.m.

Don't worry about the trees. If you don't bring it home bent you didn't go wheeling, right?

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
6/28/17 6:17 a.m.

I tried my hand at uploading one of the videos. I think here's a link
Light rock crawling
Naturally, the trails look simple on video, there's just no way to get an idea of how knarley a trail is. Either way, I'll post more vids and pics soon.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
6/28/17 6:19 a.m.

Ok, for some reason that video is low quality. When I play the video in the same size window on my computer it's much better quality. Anybody have any idea why that would be? It was shot with an iPhone 6+

Hal
Hal UltraDork
6/29/17 7:43 p.m.
RevRico wrote: Bedford eh? Hour and a half east of me on route 30.

And definitely not in northern PA! And a couple hour drive south of the Allegheny National Forest. But beautiful country, spent a lot of time in that area.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OcqeBlHYei02O4fGmXNwi4LmgZAj2dG2nzgdKKiotRudHguoAaPUzFnX6ILn9KGq