DRGmotorsports
DRGmotorsports
6/9/20 3:03 p.m.

Hey everyone! First post here! Like a lot of you I dream of doing as much racing as possible. I'd like to do a racing school or some type of driver development course. I have a week of vacation to use this year. I know some things maybe shut down for now. But I'm planning for in the future. Any suggestions? Ideas? I'd like something that can help me as a driver but also a fun city or town to explore with the girlfriend while I'm there. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/9/20 3:22 p.m.

The Porsche Experience Center recently re-opened here in Atlanta. It's a super quick ride from the Atlanta Intl Airport and has a nice hotel on premises. Similarly, the BMW Performance Driving School at the BMW factory near Greenville SC has just re-opened. I've had instruction at both venues and would absolutely recommend a trip to (and tour of!) both.

DRGmotorsports
DRGmotorsports New Reader
6/10/20 9:56 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

Thanks those are great ideas! I'll be looking into them. How would something like skip barber or Bondurant schools compare? 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/10/20 10:08 p.m.

Different focus — the factory schools are partially about exposing you to driver training in awesome cars so that you want to buy them; the racing schools are more about pure driver development.

DRGmotorsports
6/10/20 10:15 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

Ah gotcha, either would probably be a step in the right direction for where I am at right now. I need to do some research. Some of the bmw stuff looked like it was a good bang for the buck. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/10/20 10:20 p.m.

HPDE in your own car is the better bang for your buck, but if you’re looking to use vacation time I’d assume you’re looking for more of a unique experience. What’s your instruction background so far?

DRGmotorsports
6/10/20 11:47 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

Mostly self taught, Read a lot of good things in grass roots magazine, internet and some good YouTube videos. I had a 2014 v6 camaro I bought myself at 22 intending to track it, modified it heavily and sadly had a seizure at low speeds and thankfully only thing I lost was the car. No one hurt no one else involved just myself and a tree. Got cleared from the doctor put on some meds and have been karting heavily since October of last year. I've done a few autoX events in the camaro though. I'm also doing a rental karting league once a month @nola motorsports. I also go to one of two tracks every weekend just to get cheap seat tune in the kart in. If the track is pretty slow I work on setting my best possible time. If it's busy I work at reading other drivers and passing. If it's raining it's usually pretty slow but I work on feeling grip and finding the fastest way around I can in the wet. 
I am looking at getting something to track and get proper seat time in,  I have my eye on a 06 civic Si that would fit the budget. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AsQ6nhMKgZOPk26XdxYUcmRArsZ7QBKZgkMbHJhiUaEajJ6MlnxanEpEKtkzaMg8