Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
4/3/17 7:13 p.m.

This spring event for 2017 was my 3rd time with the Fiat's and always an adventure. 150 cars met the capped attendance, with 3 new Alfa Gulia's, a handful of 4C's, 3-4 new 124 Spiders including a few Abarths, a smattering of vintage including X1/9s and 128s, and the rest made up of 500s and 500 Abarths.

Friday was the Tail of the Dragon followed by the Road to Nowhere (built to compensate for flooding caused by the construction of Fontana Dam, but never finished). Saturday was a Cars and Coffee in TN where if you saw the video of the Viper crash, that happened after we left. But there were plenty of idiots before him trying to make their own crashing happen. Then we hit the Devil's Triangle which i love so much more than the Dragon!

10-15mph 180 degree switchbacks, plenty of curves and some higher speed runs, way less traffic. I managed to get the backend loose a few times, SWMBO was a trooper and never screamed. She did make a few odd noises. After that we had some BBQ and a well-deserved nap lol. Evening dinner and raffle prizes, first year I didn't win something. I bid on 4 tires and she seemed concerned she was going to be riding in the car back to Ohio with a tire in her lap.

Someone got side-swiped on his way there by a semi and the entire passenger side got wiped out. A local Fiat tech heard about it and grabbed a side mirror from warranty and installed it Friday morning before the owner even saw it. Another older gent in a 4C with a foreign accent was overheard offering someone to drive his car, unattended, just because he was interested in it. This is an awesome group of family.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/3/17 8:12 p.m.

Nice! How are these Abarth's aging?

I have many memories of ditching work in Atlanta and hitting the Dragon for an all day blast 203 times a year. Every time you see at least 4-5 crazy cars/bikes and 99% of the people are great.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
4/4/17 8:15 a.m.

In reply to crankwalk:

Very well. I'm just over 3 years, about 46k miles, zero issues. And with 100+ in one spot and traveling from all over the country, pushing them to varying degrees on the drives, I'd say they're holding up well on average.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b5hgAyBa8tbmC5bvA2L4Jk1MR9ywJJygmcqaRtunjFJyyore2qsJjOymBsg6xa5q