1 2
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/29/20 12:02 p.m.

It seems like a while ago but I wanted to cash out some equity from my VW Sportwagen. Great appliance when I was driving 100+ miles a day for work 3 times a week but now it's only 8 miles to my client and I was looking for something with a manual and still had the HP and handling of the modern cars with a lower price. So when this ad popped up, https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/2001-acura-integra-gs-r-sedan/172716/page1/, It checked all of the boxes and with a quick electronic fund transfer, the deal was done. 

Now the fun part of the transaction, picking it up. I fly into Burbank on Thursday and work my way back to Denver over the course of 4 days. Planning on stops at the Grand Canyon and Mesa Verde on the way. It's about 1200 miles kicking off with a trip down Angeles Crest HWY. I was going to do Rt 141 and recreate my only magazine published photo (Thanks GRM ) but the thought of traffic on I 70 on the 4th makes me want to scream. Not sure 285 will be any better but it'll be a little more fun. 

jfryjfry (Forum Supporter)
jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/30/20 3:27 a.m.

Let me offer a slight detour - go out big Tujunga road out of tujunga, hang a left on Angeles FOREST and drive roads that are smoother and less crowded and just as beautiful as Angeles crest.  You can take a right on upper big tujunga and will end up on Angeles crest. 

or go past and just drive all the way to Palmdale.  Nothing to see or do there but you can flip a b word and head back to upper big tujunga. 

I have a feeling the car won't give you any issues

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/30/20 1:59 p.m.
  • Car is parked at the base of Angeles Crest currently waiting for you.
  • Given you are picking up on a weekday and your time. Angeles Crest will be empty.
  •  The Tujunga suggestion above is great as well. I have grown up here, and haved lived on these curves for most of my life. 
  • I was hoping to get a text you changed your mind. I have stared at the car, knowing I can't ever find another one like this with 100pages of maintenance records. I am very sad. 
  • Car has sticky Yoko AD08R on it. 
  • Car has brand new Yellow Konis on it - less than 1,000 miles. 

Looking forward to meeting you.  Trip should be fantastic. 

6/30/20 3:21 p.m.

JfryJfry, I see it here on the map. Looks like a great option too! 

I'll have to make a game time decision. I've been driving the jeep a lot lately so I'll have to get adjusted again to something with a quick steering response. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
7/1/20 11:19 a.m.

I'm glad it's staying within GRM. I was majorly tempted by this, but I currently own a VTEC Honda sedan (8th gen si) and previously owned a GSR sedan. Enjoy the trip and the 8k redline!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/1/20 11:32 a.m.
clutchsmoke said:

I'm glad it's staying within GRM. I was majorly tempted by this, but I currently own a VTEC Honda sedan (8th gen si) and previously owned a GSR sedan. Enjoy the trip and the 8k redline!

PM sent as I am shopping some 8th gen Si sedans today. Last minute advice needed

7/2/20 10:05 a.m.

And on the way. Bumped to 1st class for the flight so that's always a good thing. Sprawl out and sleep to Burbank. 

Matt B (Forum Supporter)
Matt B (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/2/20 12:12 p.m.

Hey I just rediscovered some GSR parts during a garage clean out.  I had mr2s2000elise in mind, but I see that ship has sailed, but glad you guys "kept it in the family".  There might be a couple of higher value items I might try to sell, but most of it I'll pass on to a GRMer for the cost of shipping.  I'll put a list together and just let me know if you're interested in any of it bmw88rider.

On a related note - I sold my black-on-black 99 GSR coupe (with the factory body kit!) to a close friend's son as his first car.  He actually took great care of it and fixed some stuff I never did.  As requested he gave me right of first refusal when he was ready to sell recently.  It KILLED me not to buy it back from him.  I still miss that car, but I just have too many vehicles to feed already and nowhere to put it.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/2/20 2:18 p.m.

Thanks @MattB for thinking of me!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/2/20 4:14 p.m.

It was a pleasure meeting you BMW88RIDER. Small world of all the people we know, and how similar and sameness our car history is! You do have great taste, if I say so myself.

I am sad to see the GSR go, but I know it went to a very good home. I hope it gives you many years and many miles of pleasure and gives you the drivig joy, that it provided me during my stewardship.

Have a safe trip home, my friend. 

7/2/20 10:53 p.m.

Day 1 in the books. Stopped for the night in Kingsman, AZ. 

Had a great flight into Burbank and a quick taxi over to mr2s2000elise's house. Great guy and would have loved to spend more time chatting but the road called. BTW the FJ looked sweet. 

So I can tell you looking at this trip before hand, I was a little nervous about the first day. For those who haven't travelled the American west, there is a whole lot of nothing for a lot of I 40. So taking a car you don't know across it is a little worrying. But the Integra was flawless. 

Went up Angeles crest and just had a ball. Honestly the most fun I've had in a car in a couple years. The Integra is not fast by any means but it's like a golden retriever. A faithful companion that just does what you ask of it. Saw some serious machines up there playing too which was a lot of fun. The car was just so perfect for canyon carving. Not too fast when you can't push it and it just stuck and was light on it's feet. 

Broke out of the mountains and hit the only interstate section of the trip. Such an easy cruiser.the AC worked like a champ which was good because it was was over 100. Managed to find the most expensive gas in America at $5 a gallon. Sucked it up as options were limited. 

Other than that, you would never guess driving it that it has 205k miles. I have driven cars with 100k miles that were a lot sadder shape. I think 300k is doable.

So tomorrow is stops at the grand canyon, Mesa Verde and overnight in Durango. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/2/20 11:11 p.m.

We certainly could have talked all day. Sorry I kept you, chatting away. 

You forgot to sign the most important paper before you left! The agreement between us, that when you get rid of it, I have first right of refusal on it!!

Car looks great! Glad you enjoyed the roads, and A/C was cold. No doubt it can easily make 300K. Forgot to mention the timing belt/water pump and that full $3,100 service was done between 185-190K, should be in the paperwork folder I provided. 

7/2/20 11:27 p.m.

You got it on the first right of refusal. May be a few years though.

One more picture

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/2/20 11:28 p.m.

I am a patient person!!

GOD for years I was jealous of the pop up sunroof, first seen on the 93 EX coupe/Si. So jealous of yours now. One of my favorite parts of the car. 

Ok I swear, I won't dirty up your thread any more :)

7/3/20 6:17 p.m.

So just landed for the night in Durango.

Just want to say, 160 is the most decilate road I have been on for a long time. The Navajo nation pretty much have most things closed so not even many places for a bathroom break.

So anyways, started the day early to get to the grand canyon before it got too hot. Left at 5:30 and got there around 8. 

Pictures don't do it justice. I need to plan a spring time trip to go and explore more. Walked the rim trail for a couple hours and headed out. 

Turn to go east out of the park and drive a little and went and activated my nav and well crap 64 east is closed for construction. This didn't come up when I was planning. So hmmm. What does the navigation suggest because the alternative that I knew was a long way back. So it comes up with a fire road that connects after the construction and it'll save an hour. So I know fire road equals dirt road so I'm like well I'll try it for a little bit and see. Well it turns out ok. Very dusty but the car wasn't shaken too bad. 

So the Teggy completed probably it's first ever rally stage....whoops. someone will be getting a good bath when I get back to Denver.

Just a note....the Yokos are not the best dirt tire. Some reason it just didn't like the gravel. Go figure.

Because of the delay, I didn't get to Mesa Verde in time to give it justice so I'll just have to bring the jeep out and play and hit that up.

So tomorrow....I'll be back to Denver by the end of the day. Not 100% sure of the route yet. Going to look at some stuff after a cold one and some food.

Durango is one of my favorite places on earth.  Enjoy!

7/4/20 3:19 p.m.

All tucked in at her new home.

7/5/20 11:32 a.m.

So overall a great trip. Not a lick of problems with the car. Everything you would expect from car with a book of maintenance receipts like this one has. I got a little surprise when I got home and was cleaning out the car. I found not listed in all of the receipts the first owner added an aux jack into the disc changer port of the factory head unit. That made me happy so now I can keep the factory head unit since it's a good quality Alpine manufactured unit. 

So the car really needs nothing other than maybe a new speedo gear to get the speedometer a little closer. With the change to 50 series tires, that threw the speedo way off. I have to change the oil soon as well. Beyond that, It's just going to be driving the car and enjoying it. 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/5/20 12:25 p.m.

I had a 96 green/tan sedan on starfish wheels. Excellent DD. I wish you could still get a modern version of this.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/5/20 1:52 p.m.
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) said:

So I know fire road equals dirt road so I'm like well I'll try it for a little bit and see. Well it turns out ok. Very dusty but the car wasn't shaken too bad. 

So the Teggy completed probably it's first ever rally stage....whoops. someone will be getting a good bath when I get back to Denver.

Just a note....the Yokos are not the best dirt tire. Some reason it just didn't like the gravel. Go figure.

Because of the delay, I didn't get to Mesa Verde in time to give it justice so I'll just have to bring the jeep out and play and hit that up.

So tomorrow....I'll be back to Denver by the end of the day. Not 100% sure of the route yet. Going to look at some stuff after a cold one and some food.

Been away from this thread for a few days.  Yeah the $800 YOKO aren't good dirt tires

Can't believe the pics. NEVER EVER saw dirt in my ownership. LOL. I cringed at the pic. Then raelized, its not my car anymore. YIKES

Glad you made it home, safe, my friend. Thanks for the text. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/5/20 1:58 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

I had a 96 green/tan sedan on starfish wheels. Excellent DD. I wish you could still get a modern version of this.

I looked all around, and the 11 Civic Si Sedan I picked up, to me comes closest to this. 

7/5/20 2:19 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

I figured you would a bit. surprise It cleaned up nicely though and looks as good as when I picked it up with a little time at the car wash today. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/5/20 3:48 p.m.
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

I figured you would a bit. surprise It cleaned up nicely though and looks as good as when I picked it up with a little time at the car wash today. 

Hehe good to hear. Just pulling your leg. I am really proud that I found it such a good home. 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
7/8/20 9:15 p.m.

ha...just now catching this story after mr2s2000elise's recent Si thread.  such a great hand-off of a legendary sport compact from one owner to the next.  such a cool older Honda and great to see its in good hands.  i had to laugh at the accidental rally stage on those advans, talk about the wrong tool for the job but you still made it work.

ebelements
ebelements Reader
7/10/20 1:09 p.m.

Oh man, I remember when mr2s2000elise picked that one up and I kept telling myself that if it ever went up for sale I hoped I wouldn't notice because I would probably drop everything and buy it. Well I didn't notice and now I'm sad. Absolutely gorgeous GSR, not many like this around any more!

I'm going to follow this thread, fawn over your car, and once again...  tell myself that if it comes back up for sale that I hope I don't notice.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kywIbv0vzU6fEC5ZJc23CkRXep4Y1PCtasHsGE6Nm2kNskCowcXQTJxLdaI03yX4