1 2
Cadman5
Cadman5 New Reader
9/20/18 2:29 p.m.

It's always energizing, but also a bit depressing for me this time of year to see/hear the camaraderie that goes on in the far corner of the US (Challenge $2018) but I can't participate. GRM seems to be filled with folks from the midwest and southeast and I would love to participate, but the distance and time commitment just make it a non-starter. I would love to hear from some folks here in the Pacific Northwest that have projects they need help with, or are willing to lend a hand on occasion on a project. I am kinda far north (Snohomish, WA, a little northeast of Seattle) but not THAT far.. Who else is nearby? You may be just a few miles away and have a GRM build thread going that I just haven't clued into. Or maybe you are a bit farther away (Portland?) and need a hand over a weekend. Let's build some GRM community here in the NW! I could get involved in some of the niche car clubs around here, but I only have so much time and I like the wide-reaching interests of GRMers rather than single make/model clubs. You are my people :). 

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
9/20/18 2:58 p.m.

Snohomish?  thats my town!  I got a STR getting new shocks (in my driveway), a MGBGT getting its finishing touches (next to the garage), a STL CRX getting rebuilt in the garage, and another half dozen projects here and there.  Can always use a hand as I am usually only limited to minutes of car time when I'm home. :)

Don't forget the car show a week from sunday!

Kendall

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/18 4:03 p.m.

Portland checking in.

There are about a half-dozen or so in the area.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
9/20/18 11:50 p.m.

We're neighbors, man. Sorry bout that!

ThatsNoUsername
ThatsNoUsername GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/21/18 12:21 a.m.

Im almost as far awy from the challenge as you, im planning on next year. Its gonna be fun, 5600 miles round trip

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/21/18 12:27 a.m.

Another Portlander here...and although I've been around these boards a while, I've really been slacking on the build threads the last few years!

Like you, I love the diversity among the members here. I used to be a hardcore rallycross/autocross/RWD Toyota guy, and these days I'm morphing into more of a street/backroads enduro/supermoto motorcycle guy, as well as shifting more towards four-wheeled building/restoration/fabrication and not so much into driving. I've still got an AE86 project that has been a 17-year labor of love.

I have a small circle of GRM-ish friends here in the Portland area (if not all actual GRMers) and would be happy to meet up if you are in the area. What are you working on up North?

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/21/18 7:34 a.m.

Another other Portlander here, though I'm terrible about getting out, and the only GRMers I've met IRL so far are the ones I already knew. Unless you count the time I recognized Stefan by his old Porsche in a Home Depot parking lot while we were driving opposite directions...

Cadman5
Cadman5 New Reader
9/21/18 11:51 a.m.

In reply to Kendall_Jones :

Messaged you. (I think...first time...). Let me know if it didn't go thru.

JTNWEvo
JTNWEvo New Reader
9/21/18 1:26 p.m.
Kendall_Jones said:

Snohomish?  thats my town!  I got a STR getting new shocks (in my driveway), a MGBGT getting its finishing touches (next to the garage), a STL CRX getting rebuilt in the garage, and another half dozen projects here and there.  Can always use a hand as I am usually only limited to minutes of car time when I'm home. :)

Don't forget the car show a week from sunday!

Kendall

I'm also in Snohomish!  Small world. I had a red FC RX-7 with a Ford 5.0 swapped in for a few years that you may have seen running around town.

Can't believe there are two other GRM fans in town. We should have a meetup.

java230
java230 UltraDork
9/21/18 2:33 p.m.

In in North Seattle! No project really at the moment....

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
9/21/18 3:47 p.m.

I *do* have a project here but no really good place to work on in. By this rallycar needs to finish getting reassembled, one of these days...

Cadman5
Cadman5 New Reader
9/21/18 3:55 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 :

I just sold a Geo Storm GSi I was racing at the local circle track (they ran us on a "road coarse" that dove into the infield and back out) and I did a couple rallyX with it at DirtFish.

Other than that I'm really busy maintaining the fleet of 90's daily drivers we have (3 camrys, miata, Astro). Right now mainly repairing crash damage on one of the camrys and resurrecting the Astro from 25 years of use.

Soon I'll pick up something else for the local track and RallyX. Thinking a Focus like GRM put together for RallyX. I wanted to buy theirs when it came back up for sale, but it was clear across the country.

Cadman5
Cadman5 New Reader
9/21/18 3:58 p.m.

In reply to JTNWEvo :

"Meetup"...

sounds like Kendall is going to the Snohomish Classic Car Display on Sept 30th

http://snohomishcoc.com/classiccardisplay/

I'm thinking about it. Probably weather dependent.

Cadman5
Cadman5 New Reader
9/21/18 4:01 p.m.

In reply to Jay_W :

explain "rallycar". What ya got? What's holding up progress? Facilities?

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
9/21/18 8:46 p.m.

Hahahalolol... Humpty the Rallykar is an ongoing project. Open class Mazda Protege awd with a Toyota gt4 gearbox swap. Yes, this is a dumb dumb thing. It has a new front clip courtesy of arlington picknpull cuz I found a treestump hidden in the grass in an apex that I um carved a bit too much. But I need to make and install intake numbing and intercooler and see if a radiator and fan will still fit in the nose and other minor details.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
9/21/18 9:52 p.m.
Cadman5 said:

In reply to JTNWEvo :

"Meetup"...

sounds like Kendall is going to the Snohomish Classic Car Display on Sept 30th

http://snohomishcoc.com/classiccardisplay/

I'm thinking about it. Probably weather dependent.

Yep, that's a start.  I'm like 5 minutes from downtown so let's see the weather and go from there. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/22/18 10:56 p.m.

One more Portland check-in right here.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
9/22/18 10:57 p.m.

Langley, B.C. Canada.

Come on up to the Great White North eh?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
9/23/18 7:26 a.m.

I'm in Bellingham, drive past Trans_Maro on my way to AX in Pitt Meadows on a (questionably) regular basis.  

I run with the  Chuckanut Sports Car Club at home and VCMC and the UBC Sports Car Club up in the previously mentioned great white north.

java230
java230 UltraDork
9/24/18 11:26 a.m.

In reply to Jay_W :

More details.... I have always wanted to try Rally!!! Hmmmmm

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
9/27/18 2:57 p.m.

Details! 

Stefan
9/27/18 6:16 p.m.

In reply to Jay_W :

Do you know the Dirty Drifter crew?  I know they are pretty heavily involved in the local rally scene and I know they help organize the local RallyCross series.  I helped build and race a ChumpCar with them back in the day.  Good folks to know if you don't already:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/167503933268649/

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/18 8:53 p.m.

Kelso, WA here, about 40 minutes north of Portland on I5. I have a CAM 96 Cobra that's getting an engine-out refresh this winter and a 92 Bronco project. I'm totally willing to host a meetup once I move in 2 weeks. The new place has a great garage and driveway. 

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/13/18 4:58 p.m.

Seattle checking in here (West Seattle to be specific).

Selling my somewhat project 4Runner to my roomate, in the meantime driving a 2013 C63 AMG (good noises).

If you all ever want to make the trip into town, I suggest a meetup at http://theshopclubs.com/derby/

It's pretty amazing and worth just going by to look at the cars.

Stefan
11/13/18 6:46 p.m.

Here's some pictures of my Focus RS on the Oregon Coast in March of 2017, a few months after I received it:

Seriously, this is an awesome part of the world.  Let me know if there are any meetups (like the IndyCar Race at Portland next year?)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rP4QRa8yn6HS0hgW9m5jGB6HTZRwHIvEp634ymSoE5oiTOXCOrNUaq82fTyHxlrW