RedGT
RedGT Dork
6/2/19 10:48 p.m.

Perhaps against my better judgement I've gone and put a deposit on a 1997 Camaro to be my new short-distance daily (my commute is 9 miles of twisty back roads) and track car.

It's in Omaha, Nebraska and I am about 1200 miles away near Allentown PA. This will be a fly and drive.

I get into Omaha at 8:30am CST on June 28. I have free lodging in Columbus, Ohio on the 28 or 29th. I need to be back in PA by the 30th, the sooner the better because family.

We drove exactly this route coming back from Solo Nats last year, but we were 1) towing 2) exhausted and 3) it rained all the rain all the time.  Seriously we learned that after 1200 miles of straight downpours, a bone stock 2010 F150 starts ingesting enough spray through the factory intake system to misfire.  All. the. berkeleying. rain.

So I have done the drive but definitely did not see the sights.  Technically we went through Indy and pointed at the speedway in the distance but just kept rolling.  I am open to any route and stop suggestions anyone may have. My initial plan was to banzai the first 12 hours to Columbus on Friday after doing the paperwork on the car, which probably means a midnight arrival, and then sleep in and do an easy 8 hours home on Saturday. However I could be convinced to only do 6ish hours on Friday, get a hotel, do a leisurely 6 hours again on Saturday and get into Columbus early, followed by an early AM Sunday departure to get back home in time to enjoy Sunday afternoon.

So, if you know any good stops, especially food or automotive related, along the Omaha-Columbus-Allentown route, please let me know!  While the car is theoretically in great shape with low miles, I am a little nervous about taking an unknown car a long distance with a deadline of work on Monday.  So I have avoided planning frivolous stops any along the way myself but the trip would definitely be better with some cool stuff to break up the long interstate haul.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/13/19 1:08 p.m.

DANG! That is one fast canoe.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
6/13/19 5:19 p.m.

Beer Baron's brewery is out in Columbus no?

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/14/19 7:31 a.m.

In reply to The0retical :

It is.  https://endeavorbrewing.com/   

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/14/19 7:38 a.m.

Smokey D's BBQ is right off of I-80 in Des Moines if the timing works out for a stop for lunch.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/14/19 7:46 a.m.

I’m in Columbus and would try to be part of any meetup!

There is a lot to do here and I’ll try to come up with some suggestions for the dates involved. 

RedGT
RedGT Dork
6/14/19 2:14 p.m.

Woah a canoe brought this back to life?

I  have basically decided to do the long boring interstate cruise/speed run on Friday.  Overnight stop in columbus with brother and college friend where I get to poke a supercharged Z3 and a 70's 911 for a bit in the morning.  Then back to the interstate for 8 more hours on Saturday.

Smokey D's for lunch would be just about perfect.  It's 2 hours from Omaha and I am hoping to leave omaha between 10am and noon.  Perfect.  We actually tried to stop there on the way TO nats in the trip mentioned above but it was closed for memorial day.  And then I promptly forgot about it.  Thanks for the reminder!

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/21/19 12:42 p.m.

I would also be up for a meet up in Columbus, its been a while.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SmaWmkk30ZXE0ZTuh1n97IPiq8Kso0BwYNn3CgPGLzLq8kFRmHUa12DuxKcWhRTi