Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
6/28/16 6:33 a.m.

I did the Auto Interests event at Mid Ohio yesterday, opting for the 1/2 day "Track Acclimation" program. Only $75 and I got two sessions with an instructor and some classroom as well. This was supposed to be a no-passing low speed thing that I thought would help my jitters about Track Night in America next month and being in a crowd of cars on a track.

The second session they were already letting passing by point-by on two straights. I ACTUALLY PASSED SOMEONE! It may have only been a VW GTI but he was being pretty pokey and my instructor said "you want to pass him?" I said let's go. And was immediately passed by a Porsche. I do mean immediately too, he was courteous and waited for my point but when I gave it, I could see the cartoon dust and swirls.

I could have spent $100 more to add on 3 more Novice sessions in the afternoon (they were running a full-day Novice, Intermediate and Advanced event at the same time) and apparently an open session at the end of the day. But having registered for the TNiA in a few weeks I figured I'd cut out early and get home at a decent time.

I'm hooked. That was a blast and my only fear was getting clocked by FastnFurious kids in their Civics or 60yr old guys in their GT3 RS's practicing for the next race. Didn't happen. Can't wait for TNiA now!

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
6/28/16 8:18 a.m.

I didn't know you were so close! I'd love to try a track day at mid-Ohio some time. If one comes up and you feel like it drop me an email at my username @ gmail dot com. I need new brakes on the gs430 right now but it would be fun in a hilarious way to try a few laps in it.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
6/28/16 8:53 a.m.

In reply to dculberson:

Labor Day weekend the same group is having an all-weekend Carfest. HPDE, autocross, car show, etc...CarFest

I'm going to look into more days at Mid Ohio. Especially this group.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
6/28/16 9:29 p.m.

Hmm, awesome! And I see they have a women only program on Sunday; I wonder if I could talk my wife into trying it.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
6/29/16 6:00 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/cjw_JPZHALk

Not my fastest, but still my favorite.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ABdyGwPM30WNK69MDIAWkEpg0jrptS7tQxbn1gva66OXPvphylj4dOkqG7DWqrnM