1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 29
XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/31/16 8:29 p.m.

Toymanswife
Toymanswife New Reader
1/31/16 8:32 p.m.

AND they are home!! and the finish line was two rolls of toilet paper! https://www.youtube.com/embed/U_DR275M46Q

toymans_daughter
toymans_daughter New Reader
1/31/16 8:33 p.m.

Dad says greeting to you all! https://www.youtube.com/embed/IpQGp_o9oaU

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/31/16 8:36 p.m.

Are local schools closed tomorrow so that youth can join in on the celebration?

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/31/16 8:36 p.m.

Congrats guys. Gonna sleep well tonight, I bet!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/31/16 8:42 p.m.

Haha! Looks like the bus ate the TP!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
1/31/16 8:42 p.m.

Holy carp, that thing has better headlights than my pickup. Awesome vehicle and an awesome welcome. Good job Toyfamily!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/31/16 8:43 p.m.

It's not a Roadkill episode, the hood is still on.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/31/16 8:43 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde:

I too was thinking, "those headlights are too bright (white) to be the bus."

toymans_daughter
toymans_daughter New Reader
1/31/16 8:46 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo: Sanford has been working hard! He was hungry haha.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/31/16 8:47 p.m.
Toymanswife wrote: and the finish line was two rolls of toilet paper!

That's so SC. Perfect ending.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/16 8:57 p.m.

Here are a couple of quick pictures. I have more on the camera, but that ain't happening tonight.

I'll sit down tomorrow night and write up a blow by blow.

We did 1047 miles home. The good Lord must have been looking out for the foolish this weekend. It could have gone spectacularly wrong in so many ways, it isn't even funny.

All in, it was a stressful, but fun trip. There were times I just knew there was no way it was making it home, and the doubt didn't go away until I shut it down in the back yard.

I just kept remembering the tow bill was getting cheaper by the mile.

I owe RealMiniParker a big Thank You for opening his home to us for Friday night. I probably wasn't a very good guest. I was dead tired from lack of sleep, and frantically trying to figure out what I was going to do with a bus I just knew wouldn't make it to South Carolina. Thanks! If you ever need a place to stay in Charleston, give me a shout.

I owe all of you guys and gals a big thank you as well. Just knowing that there were some cool people, all across the country, that were willing to help this insane endeavor keep on trucking, made this possible. Without you guys, I would have never attempted this.

Thanks!!

You guys ROCK!!!

I also need to thank my wife for putting up with my insanity for almost 30 years. And my eldest son for being a willing participant, crawling around on cold concrete with me in a Autozone parking lot, and for the occasional "We'll figure it out."

More to come, and the build thread will be firing off sooner rather than later.

(Edited)

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
1/31/16 9:03 p.m.

That was epic! Congrats guys!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/31/16 9:21 p.m.

Awesome! Glad you guys made it home safely. I can't even imagine how stressful and epic it was at the same time. Hope to see a build thread soon.

rslifkin
rslifkin Reader
1/31/16 9:33 p.m.

Congratulations guys! This has been an awesome read, and now you've got the start of a great new project!

java230
java230 HalfDork
1/31/16 9:41 p.m.

Man the ToyFamily rocks! Get some sleep guys!

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
1/31/16 9:46 p.m.

Good show Toyman Family!

Welcome home!

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
1/31/16 10:46 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Hey man, you're very welcome. I was more than happy to offer a place to crash on this epic adventure. You were a fine guest. We're glad you and Kevin made it home, under your own power.

hotchocolate
hotchocolate Reader
1/31/16 10:51 p.m.

Congrats!!! Many thanks for sharing this "insane" journey with us. It truly was a lot of fun to follow.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 HalfDork
2/1/16 12:27 a.m.

Just finished reading this epic saga, well done!

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/1/16 4:43 a.m.

All in, it was a stressful, but fun trip. There were times I just knew there was no way it was making it home, and the doubt didn't go away until I shut it down in the back yard.

I'm sure it was a 3 (or 10) day adrenaline trip. It was easy for us to watch via Spot, and yesterday was frankly a bit boring , probably much less so for those actually riding inside the bus for the day.

Glad you're home safe!

I'm wondering when was the last time the bus ticked off a thousand miles? Or even a hundred?

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/1/16 7:02 a.m.

Shoes not a big thing in SC it would seem But y'all got the cat thing covered.

I agree on the lights, were they as bright as they appear in the video?

If I have one comment to make: you two made this look too easy. I know from experience that this had a pucker factor of at least nine for the whole trip. Hell, I had hives following you through the Chicago war zone and I was not even on the bus!

Looking forward to the build thread.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/16 7:18 a.m.

The lights were outstanding. The PO had replaced some of that wiring for me, and they were as bright as could be.

kb58
kb58 Dork
2/1/16 8:19 a.m.

During your writeup, add in some contrived drama because it just went too smoothly.

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
2/1/16 8:58 a.m.

That was a great adventure! Congratulations

1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 29

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vT6sIQpGZ9k0zMp96f9Fze132fifg0ETaGYVwgQDvQciDfpbKDi3vV0l7MVjDk2c