Good one.

klb67
klb67 Reader
1/17/16 11:00 a.m.

Duct tape. Vice grips.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
1/17/16 11:40 a.m.

Bicycle. You may end up stranded a short distance from help. A bicycle is better than walking. A moped is better than bicycling if you have one that would fit in the rental.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/17/16 11:47 a.m.

Bring a couple flashlights and a roadside kit with flares and safety triangles.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/17/16 11:48 a.m.

Glad to see at least one fire extinguisher made the list. I recently picked up a new LED light called Big Larry. It has a strong magnet in one end and the light emits from the side. This thing is awesome and very bright with three modes: high beam, low beam and red strobe. I reccommend picking up at least one for your trip.

Parts list should probably include spark plugs and fuel filter. Edit: D'oh, missed the part where you said points. Forget I said plugs.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/17/16 11:58 a.m.

Does it have a radio? You are going to need a mixtape of some sweet jams.

Also, a pack of 2 part epoxy. That stuff comes in handy.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
1/17/16 12:01 p.m.

Hand cleaner, rags, tub of grease should a bearing need packed. Cheater pipe for your breaker bar because those big lugs can be stupid tight (specs in the 200-500 ft/lbs range), know the wheel torque spec.

I know some old dualies need a special socket to get the inner wheels off (the outer stud screws onto the inner stud and holds the inner wheel), you might want to ask the seller about that.

I'd bring 15w40, not 10w40, heavy duty, good zinc content.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/17/16 12:14 p.m.

Traveling light ain't some of y'all's specialty, is it?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/17/16 12:25 p.m.

You have a one way car rental and I know that costs more than the standard, return to same place, rental.
What is your real additional cost if you drive the rental both ways?
This will then give you a parts runner if needed.

You're bringing your son. Does he drive?

Edit: I guess the plan is to bring every part so no running needed.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
1/17/16 1:09 p.m.

What are the most likely failure points that put you on the side of the road? My thinking is dirty fuel, electrical failure, either alternator or ignition or tires. Maybe a few fuel filters, a good spare or two and a tune up kit (points, condenser and a spare coil. Oh and from the ramp truck experience, maybe toss in a grease gun and juice up any zerk fittings you can find on the u joints and suspension.

I'm between Milwaukee and Chicago. Will send a pm with phone info. Good lights maybe a blanket or two. Weather is supposed to warm up in the next couple of days (single digits for the high today and tomorrow, 20s/30s by mid week).

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/17/16 1:40 p.m.

Umm, just a thought from the ramp truck excursion, pump some grease into the driveshaft u-joints. Maybe give them a shake before that. Random thought over

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
1/17/16 3:44 p.m.

Grease gun to grease u-joints, kingpins and rod ends. Surely that old beast has grease fittings on everything.

The charging system probably has a mechanical external regulator. Failure of one that's been sitting a long time is quite likely. When this happened to my Mustang on a cross country road trip it nearly exploded the battery. For whatever reason the amp gauge wasn't reading high enough to make me concerned, it was the smell of the boiling battery acid that tipped me off.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
1/17/16 4:22 p.m.

Bailing wire, zip tyes.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/16 5:18 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Traveling light ain't some of y'all's specialty, is it?

It's a 56 year old bus that's been mostly sitting for 12 years. It'll be a miracle if it makes it to South Caroling without multiple failures. Packing light isn't an option.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/17/16 5:23 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

I am a 54 year old bus that's been mostly sitting for 20 years. It'd be a miracle if I could make it 50 miles!

I've driven things MUCH worse, MUCH farther with nothing but a Leatherman, a cell phone, and a credit card!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/16 6:15 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

I have too, but it was equipment I was already familiar with. I'm preparing for the worst. I'd much rather be pleasantly surprised it made it home, than spend an hour on the side of the road wishing I had brought more stuff.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/16 8:47 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
Gearheadotaku wrote: What are your future plans for it?
First order of business will be getting some paint on it, so the city doesn't think I'm starting a junk yard.

A good paint job will certainly make the neighbors happy.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
1/17/16 9:07 p.m.

AntiArrhythmic
AntiArrhythmic New Reader
1/17/16 11:42 p.m.

Cool bus!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
1/18/16 7:00 a.m.

Some of the self sealing silicone hose tape. If you are taking your whole electrical service box and two rolls of wire you will be doubling or tripling the electrical content of that bus.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
1/18/16 7:26 a.m.

As the one who posted this ad in the Hotlinks thread, I am both sorry and happy for you! Hopefully it's not -13°F when you are here, like it was this morning.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
1/18/16 8:17 a.m.

As far as paint jobs go, all it needs is some bloody handprints.

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
1/18/16 12:22 p.m.

Publish your route here and see which GRM members along the route would help with a tow, gas, BBQ or just sit and offer bad advice while broken or just resting!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
1/18/16 3:43 p.m.
gearheadmb wrote: As far as paint jobs go, all it needs is some bloody handprints.

How about a "pull me over" special, blood on one side and the front, hippy bus on the other side and back.

java230
java230 HalfDork
1/18/16 4:05 p.m.

HOW Did I miss this?! I fully approve.

Id bring a long extension cord and 120 heater, its amazing where you can find outlets if needed

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 29

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FIGrQu7dQVQgKHMJmLhrOYMCSkc0Kddro1m8bfpLjIfjGtni4CTWxm63MPWfvXqm