1 2 3
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/25/15 10:04 p.m.

Some of you may remember my son from the Challenge. He's a Florida boy born and raised. He's never seen snow and really wants to. I've been hearing it for a couple of years so last Christmas I told him that we'd go find some snow the day after Christmas this year. I bet he's the only 7 year old in Florida that got snow gear from Santa.

The plan is to get in the truck tomorrow morning and make our way to Maine by Monday before the blizzard hits. We'll stay a couple of days then hopefully make our way to Ohio to pick up truck parts then make our way back to Florida.

We can't make it that simple so there are going to be added bonuses for hitting Craigslist along the way in search of Miata parts. He got real excited when I mentioned that we'd be near NYC so we'll do a fly by of central park. We're also going to try and hit every state on the east coast. One of his Christmas presents was a map of the United States and stickers. Tonight we marked the states that he's been to.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/15 10:09 p.m.

What kind of Miata parts do you need?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/25/15 10:15 p.m.

Do you know that is the warmest year on record for the midwest/east coast?
It was a high of 50 here today in Northern Ohio and expected similar most of the week.

I'm not sure if Maine even has snow.

Stampie
12/25/15 10:16 p.m.

Good question. I'm looking for a white NA passenger fender, decently light 15 inch wheels, and a glass window top.

I'd also love to find a decent lathe. 18 to 36 inch. Nothing fancy but something that won't break the bank and isn't E36 M3ty.

Stampie
12/25/15 10:18 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Do you know that is the warmest year on record for the midwest/east coast? It was a high of 50 here today in Northern Ohio and expected similar most of the week. I'm not sure if Maine even has snow.

I was worried about that until I saw this

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/15 10:20 p.m.

Unfortunately I have none of those things. Sounds like a fun trip but you definitely won't find snow in Ohio.

Edit: I wish Ohio was on the above map, I want some snow already.

Stampie
12/25/15 10:22 p.m.

Yea my hope is that by then he'll be sick of snow. This kid wants a jacket when it dips down into the low 60s. I spent a year in South Korea so I've had my fill of snow. There's a reason I moved to Florida.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/15 11:40 p.m.

Don't head north, head northwest. 164" of snow on the mountain on the edge of town so far this year with more coming down. And Miata parts? I might know a guy.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
12/26/15 4:54 a.m.

I think you may be disappointed by the amount of snow in ME.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/26/15 5:43 a.m.

Wood or metal lathe?

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
12/26/15 6:19 a.m.

No such thing as a flyby in NYC. Just getting in and then out of the city is going to take half a day in the best case scenario. If your ultimate goal is Maine, come up 84 to the Mass pike and avoid New Jersey and NYC. Don't get sold on the storm hype. Nobody watches the news anymore, so the thing the ratings boosting thing is to portray every snow event like its going to be armageddon to get people to watch. Last year was the biggest snow year ever and we got thru relatively unscathed.... except for all those roof collapses and the fact that the transit authority didn't deem it necessary to plow the tracks.

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
12/26/15 6:21 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: I think you may be disappointed by the amount of snow in ME.

No snow in southern NH or ME at the moment, I hear there is some in the northern parts of both states in the mountians. It is also looking like that be corrected on Tuesday. Also looks like I need to put the snows on the gfs car tomorrow.

Drive safe.

Steve. In NH, literally a stones throw, if u have a good arm, from Maine.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/26/15 7:27 a.m.
  1. I think the general idea of driving the young`n to snow is a cool idea, even though this may be a less than perfect year.

2. Flyby and NYC, Central Park, is a tough combination. Even though NYC between the holidays will be a little less busy, "less busy NYC" is still the busiest place there is.
    Also be mindfully that you will be nearing some of the highest priced hotels you can find just about anywhere so plan you timing accordingly.

3. Truck parts in Ohio. What part of Ohio? I'm located in the Northernmost part of Ohio, on Lake Erie between Cleveland and Toledo.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/26/15 8:07 a.m.

Truck parts in Ohio. What part of Ohio? I'm located in the Northernmost part of Ohio, on Lake Erie between Cleveland and Toledo.

The closest to snow you'll get in Ohio right now is inside Castle Noel (Christmas museum in my town) . There were people out on motorcycles and convertibles with the top down yesterday.

If you're road tripping all over anyway, try to save a day to go to the Air Force Museum in Dayton.

Regardless of weather, what an awesome father-son road trip!!

Stampie
12/26/15 8:11 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Wood or metal lathe?

Metal. I'll need one to get the Challenge car ready this year.

Yea I understand the NYC thing but if you'd seen his eyes light up at the mentioning of NYC you'd understand why we have to do it. We're hoping to be hitting it mid morning. It is what it is and we'll deal accordingly.

The Ohio stop will be in Akron. Still not sure on it as I think we're going to be in a get home mood by then.

We hope to hit the road in an hour or so.

Here's the latest 48 hour snow cast.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/26/15 8:53 a.m.

Head west young man!

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
12/26/15 9:50 a.m.

My local ski area has some snow.

All man made.

sergio
sergio Reader
12/26/15 9:56 a.m.

Go to Amarillo Tx blizzard forecast for Sunday thru Monday.

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/26/15 12:17 p.m.

Nothing on the ground here (Ottawa, Ontario) yet. Ski hills in the area are hoping to open as soon as the weather gets cold enough that the made-man snow won't melt... Forecast for Tuesday says we should expect 15 to 20 cm (6 to 8 inches) of the white stuff ... Glad I didn't buy a season pass this year...

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
12/26/15 6:16 p.m.

Snowed like mad in El Paso today during the SUN bowl.

Bet some of those Miami guys saw their first snow.

Stampie
12/26/15 9:24 p.m.

So this afternoon we got to our first stop at my Dad's house in upstate South Carolina. A little out of the way but we decided to surprise the family here as it was the planned family Christmas dinner and who doesn't like free housing and meals on a road trip.

The drive went smooth and we even turned off the radio totally between Savannah and Augusta Georgia. We both enjoy old things so we pointed out all the neat old cars, trucks, barns, and houses along the country road. We saw this Chevy in Plum Branch, SC and had to stop for a picture. In true Florida redneck fashion he didn't want to put his shoes on.

The truck has a for sale sign inside and faint writing on the door with the last price being $1000 obo. The two buildings you see are for sale by the same person for $65,000 and I'm sure you could get them to throw the truck in for free.

Once we got to my Dad's the first thing I see in the open garage is what I consider the reason I'm a car guy.

That's my Dad's 1964 1/2 D code 289 Mustang. You see growing up my Dad was a car guy but what I'd consider a talk about it car guy not a hands on car guy. All I remember was him talking about how he wanted a 64 1/2 Mustang one day but he never got one.

About 15 years ago I was looking at buying my first for fun car, a 1970 Cadillac convertible. I was on the fence because I really didn't have the money and I knew it would be a lot of work. I was about to pass on it when I thought about my Dad never getting his Mustang. I bought the Cadillac the next day and that's led to my hands on passion for cars that I have today.

The Christmas after my son was born my Dad called and said that he was ready to get his Mustang. I found this one about an hour from him and he's had it for 7 years now. It's a really nice #2 car but he's afraid to drive it because it's too nice. But at least he finally got his 64 1/2 Mustang.

Tomorrow we leave in the morning for a long drive to a little town in New Jersey called Hope.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
12/26/15 9:28 p.m.

Sweet. Good luck with the rest.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
12/26/15 9:51 p.m.

Sounds like a great trip. Glad you are having fun.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/15 9:52 p.m.

Central Park can be a bit difficult but not impossible. Plan for it taking most of the day and if you are driving into Manhattan it will be bit frustrating because of the park's location and lack of parking. If you are driving into the city Wednesday and Thursday will be your worst days. Wed. is matinee day on Broadway so there will be more people here and Thurs. is New Years Eve so starting at noon large chunks of midtown will be closed causing traffic to be diverted north towards the south end of the park.

If I was driving in I would try to enter the city before 7:30 am or after 10:30am through the Lincoln tunnel from NJ. From there I'd head uptown and look for a garage on 9th or 10th aves north of W60st and walk into the park from there. While you're at the park it's a relatively short bus ride or walk to the tree in Rockefeller Center and Times Square if you want to see them too. When you are done leave the garage, find the West Side Highway north and get out of the city and back on your way.

Another option depending on where you choose to stop the night before may be to park north of the city at a Metro North Railroad stop in Westchester and pick up the train into the city. It won't save you any time but it may be less frustrating than driving in, particularly if you do come on Wed or Thurs. It will let you off in Grand Central and then you can again walk, take a bus or subway up to the park.

If you have any questions feel free to text me at five one six, 298 eight seven one six.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/15 9:58 p.m.

john,

truck parts are at my house. you can head this way, xlr99 lives nearby, maybe we can do something with michael.

speaking of that, i guess i should send you my # and stuff stampie.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5vG7BBy3VINSjacupELWwFVDJAXjijl3cFizaD018Twn5AqSpl2fDlNRgsDT1GQk