1 2
Ottawa
Ottawa GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/18/17 5:47 p.m.

Congrats and sounds like it excelled at the grand touring portion of the event, devouring interstate miles in comfort.

I did the 2,000 mile drive from Grand Junction back to Canada in a much less donk-endowed Miata a few years ago

I assume you did most of it with the top up to maximise the A/C impact? My wife has a penchant for driving her Z4 with the top down and A/C on max, which is not the first thing we disagree about I guess.

There are a lot of articles about/with Atomic Betty, I would suggest saving/printing them and keeping a scrapbook with the car.

Ottawa

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/17 6:03 p.m.

Yeah. I kept the top up most of the journey. It was way too hot to cruise at the speed I was cruising with the top down for my tastes. I'd do it when I riding my motorcycle back in the day. Big difference is now I got home today and feel refreshed and invigorated from the trip where then, I was usually beat up for a few days after.

I actually did already start a scrap book. I got the back issues of autoweek and Classic Motorsports it appeared in and have a few of the photos from the build and some of these from this trip that I'll print out.

Part of the fun of having a car like this is the story behind it. That's part of the reason I paid up for this particular one.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/17 7:14 p.m.
bmw88rider wrote:

I like that one. Mind if I post it on the FM site?

I've got higher rez versions of the online pics if you want them. I can put them on Dropbox for you.

Don't forget the Automobile article with the original Cobra. I think the R&T article may have been online only. And there's a GRM blurb too. You can see links to everything here: https://www.flyinmiata.com/articles/. I may have some spare copies of you need them.

bmw88rider
6/18/17 8:29 p.m.

Go for it Keith. Use which ever ones you want.

I'll take what ever you have. I was a little dazed when I was up there. Combo of waking at 3:00 AM and getting an awesome car.

bmw88rider
6/30/17 1:21 p.m.

So Betty became a Texan officially today. Just got her plates and registration stickers.

So as a wrap up to everything. I've already got almost 2K miles on it with smiles on my face for most of those.

1. I would buy this car again with absolutely no regrets at all. Bill, Keith, and the whole team there have put together a really great package. To have a car that is this fast, corners this well, but will comfortably soak up 1200 miles in 3 days is a heck of a feat. I thought the magazines were a little over the top calling this the perfect car but man they weren't too far off. There are only other 2 snake named cars that I can think of in this type of ball park and I couldn't easily afford those.

2. You can register a V8 swap very easily in an emissions county in Texas as long as you have the right computer that sends out the ODB II codes. I had no problems with any step of the process.

3. Once I took the Flyin Miata windshield banner off (Sorry Keith it blocked my vision) It just blends into traffic very stealth like especially with all of the trucks around here with similar sounding LS based motors under the hood. It's not till you crack open the throttle or get by yourself do people notice.

So far, I've made a couple of small mods. Had to get rid of the aluminum shift knob and I replaced it with the polymer Voodoo knob. AL + Texas sun meant burnt hand. Changed out the Silver roll hoop covers with body cover ones. With the Bronze wheels, they just looked wrong. Added a front license bracket unfortunately. It's at least a nice custom one that is off set and doesn't block airflow to either the radiator or brake ducts.

So what does the future hold for Betty? Well for sure, I'll have her out at COTA here in the Fall. I'm looking forward to taking her on track there. I'm sure I'll hit a few of the Spokes events once the temps cool some. Mostly see a lot of driving. It's just so good that even driving it in traffic isn't a chore. My buddy in Tennessee is already asking when I'm going to come over there and hit the back roads with him in his MSM. So I'm sure at some point I'll head that way for a little bit of a tour.

What a great experience and thanks for listening.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/17 2:25 p.m.

I do love a story with a happy ending.

Body color roll hoops - makes sense. She didn't wear those wheels for long, and I'll admit I never noticed the mismatch. Nice detail there.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eAWppZ24qwFpzgHYghE7kyE5p5GprHrohj0YNfdZt2GFurum08VPoERSxMp6X8F2