1 2
sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
4/22/17 3:50 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342:

Very cool! You should put some pics of it in your Garage. I see you're from ID...Man I want to get out there someday. My wife and I considered moving out there when my work opened a store near Boise and offered a transfer bonus. But family kept us on the east coast. I've never been out west past Colorado, but man do I feel the pull of the mountains and wide open spaces!!

Recon1342
Recon1342 New Reader
4/23/17 1:28 a.m.

In reply to sethmeister4:

When you decide to head this way, gimme a heads up. I'll show you all the good trails!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
4/24/17 9:56 p.m.

New tires are on and the Sorento is ready to tackle some trails this weekend! Well, except for that broken wheel stud that I have to replace.

failboat
failboat UberDork
5/5/17 5:31 p.m.

Bump for updates. How was the trip?

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
5/6/17 3:29 p.m.

The trip was awesome! A full update with pics will come soon.

Recon1342
Recon1342 New Reader
5/8/17 1:06 p.m.

Cool!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
8/8/17 6:59 p.m.

I'm kind of glad I never got around to uploading pics to this thread, b/c I got hit by the Photobucket trainwreck and the pics wouldn't have worked anyway! I do need/want to get some pics on here though. We're already planning (very early stages) an October trip back out to the mountains, and hopefully I can do a few more things to the Kia before then! I'm thinking some lift spacers and a few maintenance items. We'll see.

failboat
failboat UberDork
8/9/17 1:44 p.m.

Sweet. I took our Outback out to a different trail in GWNF I think the same weekend of your last trip and was seriously impressed. With the rear swaybar disconnected I get over 12 inches of articulation with the wheels still on the ground. Didn't get stuck anywhere, didn't scrape on anything. About the only thing I am uncomfortable with right now on the trails is not having a fullsize spare.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
8/13/17 11:47 a.m.

In reply to failboat:

Awesome, glad to hear it! Yeah, a full size spare would make you a bit more comfortable, no doubt. I sure do love it out there, it's beautiful country!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
11/14/17 8:27 p.m.

Well, another trip is in the books.  A smaller group of us headed out to our favorite spot again this past weekend, and it was again a blast.  There were only 4 of us (Land Rover, Suzuki SX4, Pathfinder, and my Sorento), and it was pretty chilly (temps down in the teens overnight), but it was still a good trip.  It was the last one with my Sorento as I will be selling it soon.  I just can't justify the gas guzzling anymore, and I could use the extra money that a fuel sipper will provide.  I bought a 2000 Sentra 5 speed last week with cold AC, hot heat, and a fresh state inspection for $400, so the Sorento will be on Craigslist soon.  

I'm hoping to get some pics on here this time, so stay tuned.  And if you ever get a chance to explore western VA, take it!

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
11/15/17 1:28 a.m.

In reply to sethmeister4 :

Whatcha gonna do for the dirty thrills?

You could rally the Nissan, I guess. I’ve never had a rig that was not capable off-road. Too many places to explore around here...

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
11/15/17 9:21 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I'll have to tag along with one of my friends for now.  Hopefully another 4x4 is in my future, but for now this is the right decision for my family.  The Sorento wasn't exactly my dream vehicle anyway, so I'm not too sad.  Something cooler will come at some point, hopefully not too far down the road.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qgJLcwlqaigUJAsqG9Dsue7E8TzoWIf3WHiUXz5Yykyhp3e8dHbDSuKaKlTkMhTT