DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
9/6/16 2:05 p.m.

He doesn't understand why I enjoy getting greasy under cars but we hang out, bbq and he comes over to shoot the breeze when he sees me in the garage/driveway. A cool guy. Anyway, he was given some tickets to this car show and he knows I'm into cars so he gave me his extras.

!!!

My family vacation got cancelled due to scheduling conflicts at work so I decided to plan a trip around the show since we'd be driving so far instead of just going for the weekend. My son wouldn't start school until after we planned on returning so it was perfect.

We were joined by my girlfriend and her son who had never been to Monterey or SF. Left Friday morning, taking the longer scenic route up the coast so we could experience the drive into Big Sur. There was a fire in the area but the roads were open and traffic wasn't really affected. Getting into Monterey we saw some LeMons cars on a side road, some sort of gathering that had a couple exotics parked out front and then hit traffic, and in this case traffic included another gathering of some sort that was just letting out. A vintage Porsche in front of me, and F type Jaguar beside me, and three Paganis a few cars back.

My buddy calls me to see where we're at and then it happens- a car turns from a side street up ahead and heads in my direction and I frigging lose it. Driving toward me like an every day beige appliance is a low, red, winged Ferrari F40.

Unfortunately I didn't pull the dash cam footage in time and it got recorded over :(

Friday night was just getting checked in (we stayed outside Monterey) and unwinding after the long drive. Had dinner with my buddy and his dad, checked out his RV rig and hung out for a bit.

Saturday morning we went to breakfast at Crepes of Brittany which my son and I discovered our first trip up two years back. His favorite crepes in the entire world and he had been waiting to go back. They had moved locations since but the crepes are as delicious as ever.

While eating we saw some very nice cars drive past us into the auction tent nearby so we decided to take a walk and see if we can get a glimpse. There was a fenced off lot with a bunch of cars and as we were peeking through the fence the guy at the gate asked if we'd like to come inside and get a closer look. The other auction lots were charging but our luck had us at the one free lot.

The Citypass package we bought included passes to a few attractions, after wandering the Russo and Steele lot we took the free trolley to the Monterey Aquarium.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
9/6/16 2:25 p.m.

We were advised to get there early or risk parking hell so we did just that.

17 mile drive into Pebble Beach

Concept Lawn

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
9/6/16 2:51 p.m.

Holy wow. What a cool trip! Some amazing vehicles there.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
9/6/16 3:43 p.m.

In reply to DuctTape&Bondo:

Well played! Thanks for posting those pics.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
9/6/16 6:51 p.m.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/6/16 7:23 p.m.

Cool pictures!

Looks like he got photobombed by Elvis Costello's kid!

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
9/7/16 11:23 a.m.

So much to take in!

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
9/7/16 11:36 a.m.

Not a bad way to turn 34

The combination of an early morning and not being the type of cars the kids wanted to see had us leave before the awards, which was too bad.

These are some of the cars in the (dirt) parking lot.

Drive out of Pebble beach to Compagno's deli

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
9/9/16 11:05 a.m.

Then it was on to San Francisco Super Duper Burgers

The Painted Ladies

The house from Full House

Palace of Fine Arts (Elvis Costello)

Golden Gate Bridge from Battery Spencer Exit

Trusty steed got timing belt, water pump, cam and crank seals, etc... just before we left. 193k and no issues. $5 Thule cargo box was very handy.

Legion of Honor

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle, Bugatti's brother was an artist.

Alcatraz Island was something we really wanted to do last time but didn't get tickets in time. We were able to get it included in our CityPass (Alcatraz, Monterey Aquarium, Exploratorium, Academy of Sciences and a Muni Pass all for $90)

Hanging out at Fisherman's wharf, per the advice of GRMers had the bread bowl chowder at Fisherman's Grotto and empanadas at Tanguito.

Musee Mecanique was a very cool place, their website does not do them justice.

Ghirardelli

Morning Bun from Tartine

Banana Cream Pie

Hot Sauce and Panko, some of the best wings we've ever had. A must for any visit to SF.

Exploratorium

As much as I'm not a fan of dense urban living, we always leave San Francisco wishing we had more time to explore. A third trip in another two years perhaps :)

Dash cam vid of the drive onto the Golden Gate Bridge (sped up)

Dash cam vid of the drive back over the Golden Gate Bridge (sped up)

Dash cam vid of Lombard Street (sped up)

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
9/9/16 11:13 a.m.
crewperson
crewperson New Reader
9/11/16 2:28 p.m.

Thanks for the post. I learned something.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a0xXk11OVOB4gW3O5V9CU36QcEeOgYh5VOyABUrArzH4QvgFTI9rO7G4uxfrKiLz