Interesting Entries for the $2016 Challenge

The Grassroots Motorsports $2016 Challenge Driven by General Tire and sponsored by CRC Industries and Miller Electric is about three and a half months away, which means there’s still time to create your own low-buck racing machine. We already have 23 entries signed up. Among the cars registered are a “Fiat SVT 1/9,” a “Pontiac Ghettocet” and a Buick Roadmaster. Sounds like a pretty great field so far, right?

Want to join in? You can register right here. Remember, current 24 Hours of LeMons cars are automatically eligible, provided they meet the spirit and intent of our rules.

Want to get a feel for this one-of-a-kind event? Here’s our recap on last year’s Challenge.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more $2000 Challenge news.
Comments
maschinenbau
maschinenbau Reader
6/13/16 12:13 p.m.

Aw yeah, Roadmaster got a shout out!

captdownshift
captdownshift UberDork
6/13/16 12:50 p.m.

There's about a 20% chance that I'll have an entry. I should know more in the coming 2 weeks.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
6/13/16 12:59 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

Hope to see you there!

captdownshift
captdownshift UberDork
6/13/16 1:20 p.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham:

You and me both!

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
6/13/16 1:20 p.m.

i just found out the subby wagon is not coming back if I wanted to. the frame turned out to have really bad cancer on the rear subframe and its not even safe to autocross. i will daily drive it for a little while while looking for a new challange car...sigh at least now i can get mey challange car quicker and get some time to build it....meybe at least 30 minutes build time this year instead of 15 like last time.....hehhehe

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem New Reader
6/13/16 1:57 p.m.

Has a schedule for the different events been set yet?

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
6/13/16 2:54 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem:

We do not have a set schedule yet, but it will most likely be similar to last year's layout: Autocross Friday morning, drag racing Friday evening and parc expose Saturday morning.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
6/13/16 3:08 p.m.

Not sure if my teammate registered us yet but I should be there.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
6/13/16 3:30 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem:

To expand on that schedule.
Friday is the planned big day. Head to the track about 8 am.
Get your car offloaded and ready as well as tech inspection.
Autocross runs like 10:00 till 3:00. Plenty of time.
In the past, your first 6 runs count. These runs can be done by you or done by a Pro driver of your choice from the 5 or 6 on site. Plenty of time for additional "fun runs" that don't count.

After autox, a catered BBQ dinner is served at the track.

After dinner the drags are open as Temps cool in the evening air. Rough times of 6pm till 10pm for drag track. Plenty of time if your car is not breaking.

Saturday, get to track about 9am. Judging about 10:00 till 2:00.
Saturday dinner is the banquet room back at the hotel 6pm-ish giving you time to get a shower before y'all sit in close quarters.

Contingency: They'll autox in the rain but no drag allowed in the rain. The two day format does allow for the change of judging and or autox on Friday in the rain and then drags on Saturday morning so hang loose.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Reader
6/13/16 3:38 p.m.

Don't forgot the Thursday late-night hotel parking lot builds!

Antihero
Antihero Reader
6/13/16 5:31 p.m.

I really really hope I can attend this year, I'm holding off sending in my entrance fee because there's a chance that family issues may come up

Also.....happy to know I can have a pro driver try the autox because I'm a total noob at It. Can I split it in half and have 3 by me and 3 by someone that actually knows what's up? That way I can see how bad I'm doing lol

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/13/16 6:01 p.m.

In reply to Antihero:

Yeah, you can have the pro driver take none, some or all of your runs. A lot of noob entrants choose "some" and then their event becomes mostly about beating the pro. Whatever you choose, there's still BBQ and bench racing when you're done, so no real wrong answer.

Margie

Stampie
Stampie HalfDork
6/13/16 6:28 p.m.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem New Reader
6/13/16 6:46 p.m.
Stampie wrote: Last year I had the pro do the first three laps and I did the last three. He made a comment about the tires finally getting warmed up the third lap so I think this year I'll take the first three and hopefully get the tires warm for them.

You mean you don't have tire warmers? What kind of amateurish effort is that?

Hint: we buy electric blankets from Target during their summer sales. Best performance is from the Star Wars designer collection....

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem New Reader
6/13/16 7:11 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Hey John....quick question. Will our team have to take Intoxylizer tests before we're allowed on course?

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
6/13/16 7:12 p.m.

captdownshift
captdownshift UberDork
6/13/16 7:20 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Stampie
Stampie HalfDork
6/13/16 7:31 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem:

Trust me I've considered that but even on sale that'd take away from my drinking budget to much.

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
6/13/16 9:11 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to patgizz: Pro tip, take advantage of the opportunity to let the pro drive then ride along with you driving and get lessons from a pro.

1 seat

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/14/16 7:01 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Consider adding a seat.

Every time I ride with a pro I knock enormous chunks off my time. It's a lot more fun for me when I can drive AND get much better.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/14/16 7:02 a.m.

I might be in an RX8. Does that qualify as "interesting"?

bluej
bluej UltraDork
6/14/16 7:50 a.m.
SVreX wrote: I might be in an RX8. Does that qualify as "interesting"?

Kinda depends on if it's still got doritos out front or "other".

Actually, I'm curious how it'll do either way.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/14/16 7:51 a.m.
patgizz wrote: pro tip - it's my darn car, no pro is sitting in my seat. i'm there to have fun and drive.

You can beat the pro. It's been done before.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
6/14/16 1:06 p.m.
Ed Higginbotham wrote: ....... We already have 23 entries signed up. Among the cars registered are a "Fiat SVT 1/9," a "Pontiac Ghettocet" and a Buick Roadmaster. Sounds like a pretty great field so far, right? ....

Can you share the list at this time?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/14/16 5:23 p.m.
bluej wrote:
SVreX wrote: I might be in an RX8. Does that qualify as "interesting"?

Kinda depends on if it's still got doritos out front or "other".

Actually, I'm curious how it'll do either way.

Spinning triangles this year. LSX next year.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
6/14/16 5:26 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:

You can beat the pro. It's been done before.

Highest ranking Pro came in third this year.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
6/14/16 6:48 p.m.

Haven't registered yet. Working on the Safari for the soccer mom class. Key will be getting it lower and the track wider. V8 ready to go in. Maybe even this week.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
6/14/16 8:29 p.m.
wheels777 wrote:
Can you share the list at this time?

If you go to the registration page you should be able to pull up the entry list that looks like this as of now.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
6/14/16 8:38 p.m.

Intrigued by the bmw 2800 cs. Bat mobile?

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
6/14/16 9:44 p.m.

The 2800 could be a study in rust "control", the number of moisture traps is epic.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
6/16/16 2:10 p.m.

pro tip..... talking al unser jr into being your personal driving instreter for 30mints....pricless. i got al to ride shotgun last year and my times and helping to have extra eyes on the corse helped out a lot. the first two runs where dnf..after that i dropped times very much every time. but, drive the car for the most part cause its very fun to wheel your own death machine here anyway.

captdownshift
captdownshift UberDork
6/16/16 2:12 p.m.

In reply to ckosacranoid:

Your tale from last year is how I learnt that tip

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
6/16/16 3:42 p.m.

I am coming this year, the ride is still under consideration. The work begins this weekend though!

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
6/16/16 9:37 p.m.

i almost zeroed out an LS engine swap donor today

$500 donor - $330 in scrap(the bonus of taking big heavy vehicles as donors). still have the converters to sell. that should zero things out. now whether it ends up $2016 or beyond is the question.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
6/19/16 10:17 a.m.

In reply to wheels777:

When I go to the link and look to the top right of the page where I click "view current entry list" I see 22 entries that include:

Andrew Nelson '68 Beetle
Calvin Nelson '67 Lamborghini

Antihero
Antihero Reader
6/20/16 12:55 p.m.

I get the same no entries listed message here

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
6/20/16 2:09 p.m.

Are you signed in?

spin_out
spin_out Reader
6/21/16 10:02 a.m.

I have to log in first, then select the event, then click "see who else is attending". 22 entries.

Nelson, Andrew      1968    Volkswagen Beetle       York, PA
Nelson, Calvin      1967    Lamborghini Fast    Dear old Dad    York, PA
Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem New Reader
7/6/16 10:09 a.m.

How many entries are we up to now?

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
7/6/16 10:34 a.m.

Balls... I need to enter the BMW 2002.

Robbie
Robbie UltraDork
7/6/16 12:52 p.m.

Looks like we are up to 24 as of now.

3duppiesandadog
3duppiesandadog New Reader
7/6/16 1:01 p.m.

Nordic: Please enter the BMW 2002. Please!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
8/3/16 10:05 p.m.

So what's the latest entry count?

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
8/3/16 10:10 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: So what's the latest entry count?

24 plus your mom

(Sorry I can't resist your mom one liners)

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
8/4/16 6:17 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

methinks there must be a number of people hiding in the bushes

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/4/16 7:31 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem:

There are 25 pre-registered (and pre-paid.) There are likely 10-15 more who are not sure if the car will be done in time or if the car will be even running until up to the week before the event.
The rest just see no incentive to part with the entry fee until the last moment.

Stampie
Stampie HalfDork
8/4/16 11:51 a.m.
patgizz wrote:
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: So what's the latest entry count?

24 plus your mom

(Sorry I can't resist your mom one liners)

Ovid_and_Flem wrote: In reply to patgizz: methinks there must be a number of people hiding in the bushes

That is so wrong.