By 2022, Hyundai Will Have a Total of Seven N-Branded Cars

Although we currently have the Veloster N, the Sonata N-Line and the Elantra N-Line, Hyundai has confirmed there are four more on the way, all set to debut by 2022.

The first of the four, the Elantra N, is speculated to be powered by the same 275-horsepower, turbocharged inline-four currently found in the Veloster N. As well, the model would be sold alongside the current 201-horsepower Elantra N-Line—a sort of refresh of the Elantra Sport of old.

The other upcoming model is an N-Line version of the brand-new 2022 Tucson that is powered by a naturally aspirated 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine.

Rated for an estimated 187 horsepower, the engine is shared across the whole Tucson lineup, save for the hybrid versions that do with a 1.6-liter turbo-four mated to an electric powerplant.

No information has been offered on the other two models to be unveiled, but our guess is that at least one of them is a full N version of the Kona, already spied testing on a few racetracks.

Currently, though, the Kona is available with either a 147-horsepower, 2.0-liter four-cylinder or a 175-horsepower, 1.6-liter, turbocharged inline-four depending on the trim you opt for.

Until they do get revealed, what do you think—or hope—those other two models will be? And how many of these N performance models will trickle over into Kia's lineup?

In the meantime, we’ll keep our fingers crossed for a real version of that April Fools Day Palisade N.

Like what you're reading? We rely on your financial support. For as little as $3, you can support Grassroots Motorsports by becoming a Patron today.

Become a Patron!

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Tucson, Sonata, N, Elantra and Hyundai news.
Comments
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/10/20 2:18 p.m.

First....

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/10/20 2:21 p.m.

OK, now that I've had time to read... they were developing a Kona N and now an Elantra N. I may have to risk a divorce in about 2 years

Also Inje Speedium looks like my version of heaven.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/10/20 2:29 p.m.

I looked at a new Veloster N - auto Tranny only and one power level now pushed it out the door close to $38,000 with all taxes.   Guy said I won't find a stick shift one for a while.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/10/20 2:31 p.m.

Wow, the N branding got watered down really quick.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
11/10/20 2:36 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Wow, the N branding got watered down really quick.

Is it Turbo to want more out of life?

Yep - I was wondering how seriously they could be taking the N-line if they have a Tuscon in it. Unless the Tuscon N-line turned out ot be either a very capable off-road package or something absurd like the Grand Cherokee SRT8, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/10/20 2:38 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Ummm.... what? https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicles/veloster-n Come standard with a 6-spd manual. The 8-spd dual clutch is optional.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/10/20 2:48 p.m.

You can buy one but manuals are rare for 2021 models.  Here is the cheapest one without taxes or plates.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/10/20 3:30 p.m.

Yeah that 2021 price bump is nuts

GTwannaB
GTwannaB HalfDork
11/10/20 8:29 p.m.

I want a Kona N with a six speed since the Elantra hatch is no more.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/10/20 8:44 p.m.

N line or not, it's nice to see that Hyundai's styling has finally come into it's own.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms Reader
11/10/20 8:46 p.m.

Elantra N looks delicious in sedan form with a performance pack(LSD!!!!!!!). Might look better next to my Elantra Chump Car than my Fiesta ST?

I want, want, want, want, want, want, want x1000 an I30N so badly. Id sell kidneys and maybe a testicle for one in the US. Not both testicles....only one. Wife wants another kiddo so need something to make them.

For real though, the last two sheet covered ones could be a hatch and an SUV. Is the Kona the same size as the Elantra hatchback? If so, that is definitely intriguing.

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
11/10/20 9:36 p.m.

Stick shift option or “N” will translate to “Not interested”

One of my neighbors has an Elantra GT hatch with a 6 speed stick and loves it.  It’s a nice ride however I think they dropped the stick option.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
11/10/20 9:50 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

There's actually two lines: N and N-Line.

N is the real, actual performance stuff that enthusiasts will care about. N-Line is the sporty appearance package stuff without the performance. Kia has the same deal with the GT and GT-Line. Yes, it's confusing.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/10/20 10:16 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine (Forum Supporter) :

Laughs in new Sonata

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
11/10/20 10:24 p.m.

I believe Kona is smaller than Elantra hatch was..

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/10/20 10:43 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Yeah that 2021 price bump is nuts

they eliminated the non PP trim, which was a good change, otherwise the price went up about $1500 over the old PP?

a bit much, but not as crazy as it might have looked at first glance.

jb229
jb229 New Reader
11/11/20 2:04 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

There's actually two lines: N and N-Line.

The guy behind the N program was in charge of the M department within BMW for ages, it's absolutely the same thing as M8 vs M850i and easiest to understand it in that light.

If that Elantra N has the full-bore Veloster N engine and a stick at something vaguely competitive with a BRZ/86 that'll be a real contender.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/20 8:02 a.m.
kevinatfms said:

So I'll donate the second teste if it means I can buy it used from you in 2 years. Not sure that's how it works, but I'm willing to try.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/11/20 8:53 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I've heard the term since junior high but is there a market for this sale or donation?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/20 8:55 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to bobzilla :

I don't know but if there is I'm'a be rich. I aint got no need for either of them! They been disconnected for years. Pulled the fuse.

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
11/11/20 9:09 a.m.

Lol.

If they were serious about carving out a performance niche, most of those models would come with a manual. I have no interest in a FWD, multi colored appliance with a DCT or whatever contraption they are using to control the driveline.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/20 9:21 a.m.

In reply to FatMongo :

In all fairness we are the crowd that "if it's not 2200lbs, rwd and makes 300hp for $13k I'm not going to buy it". And when they do bring out what we ask for still don't buy it.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/11/20 9:34 a.m.

Dear Hyundai,

Your engines and chassis dynamics have improved greatly since the launch of the original Genesis Coupe (model, pre brand split). Bring back a modestly sized rwd coupe with the 270hp-ish turbo lump, limited slip in the rear and let the new chassis engineering team work their magic.

Target RX8 levels of chassis goodness with an engine that you just need to turn sideways that will work wonderfully and bring all the giggles. There's a hole between the BRZ/86 and new Z and Supra that you could fill. That hole is also the sweet spot of price versus performance. The mustang would own this vacancy, except it's massive. Take it Hyundai, it's yours there for the taking.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/20 9:36 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Right? If they'd brought the Gen Coupe with this level of engineering available I can only imagine how awesome it would be now. It wasn't bad, it just wanst good enough.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/11/20 2:38 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:
ProDarwin said:

Yeah that 2021 price bump is nuts

a bit much, but not as crazy as it might have looked at first glance.

I don't know what it was in 2020, but in 2019, a N PP was sub $30k.  Now its $32250, so it looks like about $2300 bump.  The price gap between it and the TypeR just closed by almost 33%

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/20 2:38 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

But unlike the Hype R it's not ugly so that's worth some money....

Just checked, the HypeR starts at $37,495. Paint is an additional $395 apparently. Wireless charging is another $314. Destination charges puts it at $39,154. Veloster N starts at $32,450, destination puts it at $33,245. $5909 difference between them. 2019 they were $29,885 and $36,595, a differnece of $6710, or $800. Thats FAR from 33% I do believe.

EDIT Dos: 2020 MSRP for the N with the PP was $30695 with delivery. HypeR $37990, $7295. Interesting that theres more variance in the middle year. Basically $6-7k is the average gap.

Final Edit I swear: 2019 there was an 18% price difference between the two, 2020 was 19% and 16% this year. Thats a total change of 3% from all 3 years.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/11/20 2:40 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

There's actually two lines: N and N-Line.

I understand the difference, but to me that is a watering down of the N brand, just as BMW did with the M stuff.

I'm not saying its the wrong call, it might make sense for them to do.  I appreciate when there is a very distinct branding difference between real performance and 'sport' stuff.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/11/20 2:42 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

But unlike the Hype R it's not ugly so that's worth some money....

Arguing about looks between those two cars is pretty silly.  They are both polarizing.  I have a Veloster, and it is ugly from some angles.  I have an R-spec which is toned down compared to the N which just looks stupid in the back.

The HypeR has a 4th door which its worth quite a bit.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/20 2:56 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I updated with more maths.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/11/20 2:59 p.m.

Good call.  I forgot to check R price 2 years ago.  Also didn't realize that magazines publish #s without delivery fees.  Confusing.

So yeah, ignore me I guess.  Still a bummer that the price has gone up.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/20 3:13 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I don't disagree with that. I always hate price increases. I think the real question I have is how good is the 8speed dct?

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/11/20 4:18 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

And actually decide a direction for it. Make sure it is better than the competition at something. I really wanted to like it, but it couldn't decide if it was a Luxury coupe, a muscle car/pony car, a sports car, or a fun economy car. It didn't do any of them particularly well. It was a really good car, but someone looking for a good car is going to buy a Camry (or a Sonata). So there was always something else better than it, for whatever you wanted it to do. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
11/11/20 7:21 p.m.

Looks like that guy from BMW sure is helping out

bobzilla