Daytona to Get Second Chicane for NASCAR Race

In addition to the traditional Bus Stop chicane located on the back straight, Daytona International Raceway will receive a second chicane for August’s NASCAR weekend. This new chicane will be located just after NASCAR Turn 4.

Also announced: Cars will run the “high downforce aero package” along with the 750-horsepower engines used on short tracks and road course.

So, the big question from the GRM staff: Will this chicane be available for our club events? And how soon until we can practice on iRacing?

Read the full press release here.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Daytona International Speedway and nascar news.
Comments
7/30/20 4:27 p.m.

Sounds like iRacing has already answered one of our questions: next week, we hear.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
7/30/20 4:29 p.m.

Aw, I wanted to see unrestricted stock cars try to cram their way down into turn 1 from 200+ mph and fail miserably. cheeky

wae
wae UltraDork
7/30/20 4:37 p.m.

No practice... No qually... Never raced on the road course before... Just unload from the transporter and get the green flag.  And then I heard Goodyear was bringing the wets.  I have never before planned ahead to watch a NASCAR race, but this is going to be epic.

7/30/20 4:40 p.m.

Looks like Andy Lally will be in the field.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
7/30/20 5:10 p.m.

The chicane would be pretty easy to use for club events it's all pavement there.

back the day daytona also had this layout

this was with the older international horseshoe that went in further and was more open and faster

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/30/20 5:17 p.m.

Isn't that really close to pit in??  Or are they using part of pit in for this?

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/30/20 6:12 p.m.

Wait, NASCAR cars switch engines depending on what kind of course they're running?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
7/30/20 8:06 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) :

I would guess that's the plate vs no plate issue.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/30/20 8:18 p.m.

I'm guessing they did some testing, and soon realized diving into T1 after having it matted from the bus stop was just going to be too much to ask for those cars and that field.  They probably pictured cars spinning all the way to the track pavement at T6.  (see above diagram)

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
7/30/20 8:18 p.m.

Maybe a mid-size plate? I think the Daytona oval and Talladega restrictor plates allow less HP; more like 500.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/30/20 10:11 p.m.

No physical testing was done, but the simulations were showing over 200mph into T1, and I think that spooked them a bit. For reference, the GT3 cars are doing mid 170s. The uncorked Ferrari Challenge cars can actually top 190 there (which is fascinating given the diversity of talent in that series).

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/30/20 11:06 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) :

I would guess that's the plate vs no plate issue.

Oooohhhh, restrictor plates. Not whole engines. I'm dumb surprise

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 Reader
7/31/20 6:31 a.m.

wonder if this is secretly a bid to prevent laptime comparisons to other popular race series?  i was ready to see them hit the brakes at nascar 4 to haul those things down in time for turn 1

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/31/20 6:39 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

I bet there are some very expensive crashes!

NASCAR will be a demolition derby. Excellent....

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
7/31/20 6:49 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) said:
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) :

I would guess that's the plate vs no plate issue.

Oooohhhh, restrictor plates. Not whole engines. I'm dumb surprise

I believe they do quite a bit different things to each engine based on its restricter plate.  They DO have different engines for each restrictor.

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
7/31/20 7:02 a.m.

The really fun items for everyone to consider are:

• There are four series racing over three days (ARCA, NASCAR Trucks, NASCAR Xfinity, and NASCAR Cup)
  • The drivers are specifically disallowed from running multiple series for that weekend (to reduce effective practice time)
  • No practice or qualifying for any of the series.
  • A few of the drivers have done the 24 Hours so there will be some experience with the course, but not in these vehicles with their comparatively tiny brakes. Way back when, there were regularly converted Cup cars entered in the 24 Hours and they ran well, but generally suffered long term cooling issues and never really challenged for the overall, but they sounded awesome alongside the GTP cars.
  • The high downforce, high power configuration for the Cup cars will make corner exit a real challenge as the races are going to be run in the middle of the day and the track will be a little slick (see JG video comparison between GTD and Cup cars).

These events should be fun to watch, but the carnage that returns to the shops will be significant. Not looking forward to the piles of scrap that we have to repair or destroy.

wae
wae UltraDork
7/31/20 7:13 a.m.

I think the only way it could be better is if Robbie Gordon showed up with his ramps and they also ran the Stadium Super Trucks.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
7/31/20 7:50 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Somebody please make this happen.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/31/20 9:22 a.m.

This may be the best NASCAR race to run in decades.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/31/20 9:40 a.m.
stylngle2003 said:

I don't think NASCAR fans care.

The only series that has shown any interest in how thier cars match up to others is F1.  And now that they see how much slower Indycars are, they have also lost interest.

On an editorial note- it's interesting how many people think this is exactly what NASCAR needs- as if their fans don't count.  If this was REALLY want they needed, they would be adding many more road course races for decades.   IMHO, there's plenty of road race series out there for me to watch to really worry if NASCAR is on a road course or not.  And having watched some recent races on road courses- and the carnage that always happens at the end- I'm not planning on watching.  Segments, competition yellows, LOOOOONG yellows, and sloppy driving late in the races after yellows may be appealing to thousands and thousands of others- just not to me.

SuperDave
SuperDave New Reader
7/31/20 12:19 p.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:
stylngle2003 said:

I don't think NASCAR fans care.

About as entertaining as a sumo wrestler trying to dance ballet.

IMHO a better race would be take the Cup cars to Bowman Gray Stadium for a 100 lap event.  Caution laps don't count and leave pit crews at home.

RacingComputers
RacingComputers Reader
8/1/20 10:54 a.m.

I do not believe that this will not be the wreck fest some of you are wishing for.

YRMV

kevinatfms
kevinatfms Reader
8/3/20 1:22 p.m.
RacingComputers said:

YRMV

Have you seen the Charlotte ROVAL races? Its absolute carnage.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
8/3/20 1:40 p.m.

Skittles in a food processor?

8/9/20 11:40 p.m.

Just bumping this up since the big race is this coming weekend.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/10/20 6:40 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Just bumping this up since the big race is this coming weekend.

What channel do they usually show NASCAR on? I definitely want to watch this one.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
8/10/20 9:38 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Second half of the season, which we're in now, will be on NBC or NBC Sports or some other NBC-related thing like their streaming service.

I usually just go to the NASCAR reddit and find the race thread, because they link sketchy free streams in there so I don't have to be near a TV.

8/13/20 6:30 p.m.

I remember someone asking about tires for the upcoming NASCAR Daytona road course weekend, and this info was released by NASCAR today:

Goodyear update

The NASCAR Xfinity Series will run Goodyear Eagle Road Course Radials on Saturday for the 19th race of the season.

Each team will have six sets of tires for the race. After doing research it was determined that the Watkins Glen tire was the best fit for the Daytona Road Course. Because speeds are expected to be close to what Cup Series cars run at Watkins Glen compared to a slower and more technical course like Sonoma Raceway.

Goodyear will bring its wet weather radials for use by teams in all three series this weekend. This tire was last run over the weekend at Road America for the Xfinity Series. The obvious difference is the tread pattern versus the dry weather slick tires, but another difference is the "Goodyear" and "Eagle" lettering is white, not yellow.

Like all road courses, the teams will not run inner lines and all four corners of the car will have the same Goodyear tire code.
Error404
Error404 Reader
8/13/20 6:39 p.m.

I expect this will be in a tv near me this weekend. I'm actually somewhat interested in watching so I will likely tune in. Hopefully these Central FL thunderstorms give them enough time to get some racing in.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/14/20 2:14 p.m.

i guess the very first lap ever of NASCAR's on the Daytona Road Course saw three cars in the tire barriers and 8 more with damage by the time they got everything unstuck. Bret Holmes' 9:34.295 currently stands as the track record until they get it all unpacked.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/14/20 2:15 p.m.

BRB headed to the track with my Leaf to reset NASCAR track record.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
8/14/20 2:43 p.m.

is there an online link to watch this, for people outside the US... one which doesn't require a 'paid' account?

8/14/20 2:52 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

BRB headed to the track with my Leaf to reset NASCAR track record.

I think I can even run a 9-something at Daytona. Actually, I should see what my wife ran there (on foot).

tqLuYLAARAWMDUSWWiWWhWo98lYkdAiJzvCKX6G2r7qDhGRQToe7ceIryaQzW6Hu