From the Forum: The Questions You Get Asked the Most About Your Car

What's a Saab?

Here's a great question from forum member NickD: What's the most frequently asked questions about your car? "What is that?" "Is that an E30?" "Why is it so loud?"

What say you, what questions do you get asked frequently about your car?

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Grassroots Motorsports news.
Comments
BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
10/12/19 7:29 a.m.

“Is it a Roadmaster/Caprice?” :)

NickD
NickD PowerDork
10/12/19 7:56 a.m.

Senpai noticed me!

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
10/12/19 8:25 a.m.

Usually, it's not noticed, which is useful when I'm commuting at extra legal speed.

The typical question is, "What is that?"

The answer is that it's a good example of how rarity doesn't equal desirability.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
10/12/19 8:38 a.m.

About the Infiniti, "What mods you got?" I guess that's what I get for driving a G35 in a world where most of them are drift cars. Usually asked by younger men.

I also get the, "This your car?" I don't exactly fit the mold of the typical G35 owner.

About the Abomination, "What kind of car is that?" Or, "That doesn't sound stock."

Frequently, "Can I sit in it?" Usually asked by a 5-10 year old with huge eyes and a super happy grin when I say, "Absolutely!"

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
10/12/19 9:11 a.m.

Why didn’t you get the V8, and Isn’t it hard to see out of.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/12/19 9:24 a.m.

Lotus... Who makes that?

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
10/12/19 9:58 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

“Is it a Roadmaster/Caprice?” :)

Oh I remember that one well!

_
_ HalfDork
10/12/19 10:17 a.m.

When I had the '85 Celica it was "hey, is that a deloreon?" (My follow up was always "I'll give you a helluva deal on it")

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
10/12/19 9:07 p.m.

I often get the "you should drop a V8 in that" about my Opel GT. Seems someone always knows someone that did and always bragged at how fast it was. Yeah, was a thing to build Opel GT drag cars that had subframes and usually had a stretched nose or the driver moved back. Another one I heard a lot, it seems someone knew someone that pegged the 160mph speedometer on an all original stock one. Yeah, right. The factory manual says it tops out at 112. Run out of gear ratio. It's one of the reasons I only take it to cars & Coffee or European car shows nowadays.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
10/13/19 12:59 a.m.
wlkelley3 said:

New question for you: are those Miata or BMW wheels?

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
10/13/19 1:16 a.m.

Can I see your license and registration please?                                      said Sammy Haggar.

Eurotrash_Ranch
Eurotrash_Ranch New Reader
10/13/19 1:21 a.m.

That's classic, what is your daily?

Edit: my car is not  a classic, and it's my daily

skutney
skutney New Reader
10/13/19 1:09 p.m.

They want to know what kind of car do I have. I answer, MGB. Then they say, Who makes the MGB? I say, MG. Then they say what does MG mean? I say, Morris Garage. They then give me a puzzled look.

_
_ HalfDork
10/13/19 2:51 p.m.
skutney said:

Or "nice Triumph/Healey/MG/Opel/Mini/Miata/etc."

einy
einy HalfDork
10/13/19 2:58 p.m.

(About my Exocet, while out and about) ... Is that street legal?

Um, yes ... that is why I am driving it on the street !

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/13/19 3:07 p.m.

(About my 400$ corolla that I bought 5 years ago and still DD) Why don't you get a nicer car?

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
10/13/19 3:14 p.m.

"Why don't you drive it?"

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/13/19 6:02 p.m.

None really. I don't think a forum member has ever asked me about cars I have or have had.

LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
10/13/19 6:18 p.m.

I drive my racecar to race weekends, which tends to draw attention during transit. The car is a Mercedes 16v and most common questions/comments are:

(1) “I didn’t know these were Diesel!” To be fair, the top end is quite clickety clacketty when you first fire it up. And it idles a little rough.

(2) “I didn’t think Mercedes made manual transmissions.” Again, not an unfair statement since pretty much every other Benz ever sold around here had a slushbox.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/13/19 7:10 p.m.

My favorite question wasn’t really the question, it was who asked it.

I was driving my newly acquired 1960 El Camino. My wife was with me. I was cheating- didn’t have tags on it yet.

Next thing I know I see blue lights in my rear view. Crap. I knew better.

Cop walks up to the car and says, “I need you to settle a dispute between me and my partner. What year is this car?”

I told him, and he said good night and got back in his car and left.  Never said a word about my tags, license, insurance or registration.

I was pulled over by a cop so he could ask me what model year my car was.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/13/19 7:13 p.m.

Most frequent question?

”What the berkeley is that?”

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
10/13/19 7:36 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

BMW. 14X6.5

Bought BBS labels to cover the BMW label.

And I have gotten that question too. Those that ask look at me funny when I tell them they are BMW E30 wheels. What's an E30? look.

spkorb
spkorb New Reader
10/13/19 8:06 p.m.

If it's the Pantera, I'm surrounded by men asking "Do you impress a lot of chicks with that car?" and no.  No I don't. Obviously :)

If it's the '90 Chevy Silverado they ask "Are you going to be okay?" and  "Do you need a ride somewhere?"

If it's the Fiat 850 Spider they ask "What kind of MG is that?"

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
10/14/19 7:34 a.m.

That thing doesn't sound like a Cadillac - did you do some work to it?

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
10/14/19 9:50 a.m.

what happened to the doors? Is that legal?

RACEC4R
RACEC4R New Reader
10/14/19 1:19 p.m.

How much work did it take to get it in there?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill PowerDork
10/14/19 2:25 p.m.

No one asks...

But I still tell them how a rotary works anyway.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
10/14/19 5:08 p.m.

Usually WTF is that?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
10/14/19 5:26 p.m.

When I was driving the Trans Am: "Does it really do 170mph?" (It has an aftermarket Trans Am Specialties 170mph speedometer, but there's no way in hell that car ever did above 120mph on a good day downhill!)

The Power Wagon: "WHAT YEAR IS THAT THING???"

The Mazda 3: Believe it or not, it's good for one "That's a wicked shaaap cahhh. What is it?" per year. Usually after washing/detailing it.

mSoxAAPQYogFV8aMlDxbZo5AGJ2a9CRsJhxBnmt16CKvGWsO1INT1uUINNGhIIZd