Gainesville Raceway Schedules Track Repaving in Preparation for $2019 Challenge

Gainesville Raceway is an amazing facility, and hosts tons of top-tier drag racing events like the 50th annual Amalie Motor Oil NHRA Gatornationals. But deep down, we’ve always known that the track has a soft spot for one event in particular: The Grassroots Motorsports $2018 Challenge. Our annual event returns to Gainesville Raceway each October, and challenges competitors to build cars that can autocross, drag race, and look good for a total budget of just $2018.

And build cars, they have. We’ve seen competitors make passes deep into the 9s, and post nationally-competitive autocross times. Their cars look good, too–with shiny paint and details fit for the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.

All of this is impressive, but cars like this have their downside: Even though the NHRA’s Top Fuel dragsters complete a 1/4-mile pass in just over three seconds, it’s the $2018 Challenge competitors that really tear up the track. That’s why, in preparation for our $2019 Challenge next October, the NHRA has moved up their planned 2019 repaving of Gainesville Raceway. They want nothing but the best for the $2019 Challenge, and this advanced timetable will guarantee there aren’t any bulldozers in the way during our competitors’ inevitable hunt for 8-second passes.

However, this fresh pavement does come at a cost. The NHRA has moved their paving window squarely on top of the $2018 Challenge, meaning we’ve had to adjust this year’s schedule to accommodate the construction. Don’t worry–the event’s dates haven’t changed, and we’re still going to have a blast in Gainesville this October. Read full details here.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more $2000 Challenge news.
Comments
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
7/31/18 4:22 p.m.

I guess this could finally be my chance to take the overall title in my LEAF!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/31/18 4:39 p.m.

Where will the higher speed course be placed? The challenge autocrosses have historically been fast anyway and they took the whole area not occupied by parking. Are you guys planning on using the road course?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
7/31/18 4:50 p.m.

We’ll be moving the paddock next to the fuel station (on the return road from the end of the strip), which will give us the entire parking lot for a giant autocross.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/31/18 5:04 p.m.

Do we go through motorsportreg to get a refund on entry fees?  Sadly, after building a top overall car last year we shifted focus to 2/3 of the disciplines and autocross isn’t one of them, so we’re going to have to withdraw and come back next year.

Antihero
Antihero HalfDork
7/31/18 5:14 p.m.

No drag race? Glad i planned on next year and not this year now

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
7/31/18 5:16 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Quickest is to email Nancy at Nancy@grassrootsmotorsports.com. We’ll happily issue refunds or apply your entry fee to next year’s event.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist New Reader
7/31/18 5:35 p.m.

Great job spinning this! I know, you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm bummed though cuz like Patrick, I was planning my build (which is currently in discovery) around the drags and the autocross. I guess I better get the motorcycle engined Miata that's been percolating around in my head on the front burner ... which means finding the Miata to start with! Craigs here we come!

Actually that MR2 I posted in the $2018 Classifieds would've been perfect!

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/31/18 5:51 p.m.
MrJoshua said:

Global warming Bad! Politics Bad! Mumpkin Good!

The plan as of now is to use the area traditionally used for the autocross course AND the paddock area for the autocross course. Paddock wil be moved to the east part of the facility. This gives us a little more room to autocross and a few more course options. So what we're looking at is probably a little more complex course for the 10:00-2:00 session and a bit more open, flowing course for the 5:00-8:00 session.

I'll be heading there a couple weeks before the event to design and mark both courses so we can make the changeover in quick order. I'm even mulling over some wrinkles we can throw into the mix to make things more interesting, like a fixed-length starting straight with separate timing (not for competition, just bragging rights).

I know this is a bummer for some of you, and trust me when I say it is for us as well. But the bottom line was this seemed to be most realistic and least painful of a number of difficult options.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
7/31/18 5:53 p.m.

I wasn't figuring I could make it this year because my new car won't be nearly ready, but this may change things. Need to figure out how to improve my Concours score and go even quicker in two autocrosses with last year's Miata. I have the next 6 days away on vacation to ponder my options. The downside is I've come to enjoy the weekend spent with several people who have become friends and they may not be there.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
7/31/18 5:57 p.m.

This might be premature, but what will the rules be for using the autocross pros? Limited runs on each course? Here's your 4 tickets, use them on whatever course(s) you want?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/31/18 6:08 p.m.
DeadSkunk said:

Current plan is to treat each autocross as a separate event, so that would mean two sets of pro tickets. So you'd get a red set for morning and a blue set for evening or whatever.

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
7/31/18 6:11 p.m.

Well that changes some of my build in a major way. At least we hadn't started that portion yet. Actually kinda makes it easier in some ways.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/31/18 6:15 p.m.
Stampie said:

See? We're helping!

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
7/31/18 6:29 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
Stampie said:

See? We're helping!

Tell that to the crying 10 year old that wanted to see us in the 13s this year!  JK he took it in stride.  You can thank Mama Mae for the guilt trip. She taught me well.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
7/31/18 6:38 p.m.

Interesting... Good job making the best of the situation. This should be a unique year. My van might now have a halfway decent shot of placing well. See you all in October.

nachostang95
nachostang95 New Reader
7/31/18 6:40 p.m.

If I didn't spend half my vacation on picking up my Allroad, this would have been my chance to trip the SVX out and not embarrass myself in the drag portion! Maybe next year.. Do coilovers count as equivalent replacement parts if OEM parts don't exist and I spec a near-factory spring rate while running dampers loose? ;) I guess I can probably find $400 worth to sell off of it to bring it back into budget.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
7/31/18 6:41 p.m.

Time to take the nitrous out of the budget, won't be needing that. Should have purchased a Miata. Can we get a 200tw vs hoosier class?

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
7/31/18 7:46 p.m.

I don’t really even like drag racing...

but

this seems like a major screw job by the track. You guys have been hosting this event there for like 20 years!

I usually focus my efforts in autocross, do 2 or 3 drag passes then park the car, grab a beer and watch the speed demons run.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
7/31/18 7:47 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 :

No comment.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/31/18 7:51 p.m.

With as much rain as Gainesville is getting I am shocked anyone is on schedule for anything construction related much less several months ahead. I actually recently wondered how flooded the grass parking area around the track might currently be.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
7/31/18 8:01 p.m.

Interesting, very interesting.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/31/18 8:09 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

In reply to Lof8 :

No comment.

Silence speaks volumes.  I’m very disappointed but not upset with you guys at all.  This year’s build was intended to make an autocross parade lap and go drag racing and explode heads for the concours.  I can’t justify bringing it just to park in a pavilion.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
7/31/18 8:29 p.m.
MrJoshua said:

That's a good point. Rain does funny things in Florida, so it's entirely possible that it caused the change in schedule due to flooding, damage, etc. Who knows....

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
7/31/18 9:16 p.m.

OH come on, those Datsun's can't be any worse on a road course than A Fiero  on a drag strip. Patrick  you did good in auto cross last year.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/31/18 9:20 p.m.

Is the road course possible for the high speed autocross? It is amusing enough to make up for some of the loss of the drags. You could set it up for hot laps with pit in/out like the local club used to do using some sort of transponder set up for timing. The local club ran 30-50 participants starting in the AM and most everyone got more track time than they or their car could handle by noon so it should fit into a 1/2 day.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/31/18 9:28 p.m.
MrJoshua said:

We thought about it, but there's too many variables there as well. Get a hard week of rain leading up to the event and that area is basically useless. It also requires a lot more on-site safety and resources, not to mention moving our entire operation over there at mid-day. Not to mention it's sketchy AF, even in the best of conditions. One off (and there will be an off) could potentially end the day while we extract a car from the swamp.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
7/31/18 9:30 p.m.

TO Tell you 2 months out is kinds Rude, doesn't leave much or any time to find another venue with a dragstrip and parking lot. like daytona, atlanta speedway, road atlanta(front straight) or atlanta dragway

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/31/18 9:42 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Drama doesn't really slow it down over there more than anywhere else. During one event they put a Beefy Cobra Replica into the power pole and the shed and broke all 3, Gene spun in the dirt, several others went off, etc and the event went on.  During Mumpkin testing we attended an event there where everything was flooded and they just kept a 4 wheeler handy to pull everyone out who went off.  Parking is ugly but it just means we all park on pavement. Formula cars managed to get through it.

The EMT thing is ugly. They were expensive and insisted on parking the ambulance in a runoff area and sitting in it despite the protests of the event coordinator.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
7/31/18 10:53 p.m.

Well good thing I have my weekend to work places squarely on this years event... While my Ranger has the largest available sway bars installed I don’t feel like testing the limits of door handle scraping...

Besides, I’m a drag racer not a cone masher....

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
7/31/18 11:04 p.m.

Can we postpone the wagon class until next year?  I'm (hopefully and prayerfully) bringing a Miata and a wagon but at 4500 pounds I was relying on the drag race to help the wagon on points

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Dork
7/31/18 11:20 p.m.

Dang it, don’t even know what to say.... two autocross courses, half the cars will show and the staff will have to work twice as hard. Bummer all the way around.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
8/1/18 7:28 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Ahhhh... just replace the evening drag race festivities with a smokey burnout contestsurprise

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/1/18 7:47 a.m.

The one year that the event is JUST autocross for the dynamic event...  Dang.

Robbie- your Fiat may win this thing, if you get it right.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
8/1/18 7:48 a.m.

I doubt my car will bark the tires.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
8/1/18 7:52 a.m.
alfadriver said:

The one year that the event is JUST autocross for the dynamic event...  Dang.

Robbie- your Fiat may win this thing, if you get it right.

I know - the fiat would be perfect for a double autox. Ian and I took 3 days off of work around July 4th this year simply to work on it and at that time we decided we would take the time to do it right for $2019 since we have so much in front of us on it. 2 days ago I made the commitment in my mind to run the saab truck in likely its final showing.

But now hearing this I'm like: what is the bare minimum I need to do to field the fiat!!!!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
8/1/18 8:23 a.m.

We're still playing with site plans, but we're pretty sure we're going to be able to have a nearly 1/8-mile straight to start the second autocross. We'll time that portion separately and give out a special trophy to whoever is fastest.

Still working on details, but that's at least a little bit of a chance to drag race.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UltraDork
8/1/18 8:51 a.m.

Well, damn. I guess it's a good thing that I've not had the chance to get up to Cinci and buy the sets of drag tires for the Rampage... and means that I don't need to worry about getting it out to the local strip for testing. And means my AX tires will be the 'free' set, freeing up another $80 in the budget.

Will miss the drags though- that's always a lot of fun.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/1/18 9:07 a.m.

I suppose we have to stay within the rules of the site insurance and I suppose there are things that can't exactly be done like drag racing on the entry road of the site.

But...

I propose setting up one SCCA approved style Pro-Solo course.   The course design should be such that when this first curve does come into play there will be ample room for all people running this "auto-x course" to "run-off" headed straight.   It is a shame that likely all competitors will DNF for this course.  However, course design would just happen to be such that the finish light happens to be straight in-line with the start line, about 1/8th of a mile from the start.  This way, all these DNF'ing cars who missed the turns will still trip the lights at the end of their DNF run.  At least all the DNF'ing competitors will be able to compare times.

In the morning portion of the event we will only run half of the course.  The morning session will not include the straight portion of the course, just the curvy portion of the course.

Sample Pro Solo Pics:

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
8/1/18 9:16 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

That's pretty cool at least.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/1/18 9:16 a.m.
John Welsh said:

But...

I propose setting up one SCCA approved style Pro-Solo course.  However this course will probably be such that from the start light to the first turn will be more that 1/8th of a mile long.  The course design should be such that when this first curve does come into play there will be ample room for all people running this "auto-x course" to "run-off" headed straight.   It is a shame that likely all competitors will DNF for this course.  However, course design would just happen to be such that the finish light happens to be straight in-line with the start line.  This way, all these DNF'ing cars who missed the turns will still trip the lights at the end of their DNF run.  At least all the DNF'ing competitors will be able to compare times.

Sample Pro Solo Pics:

The entry road is neither a quarter mile long nor straight. I mean, if we're going to do this why not just release a bunch of hungry leopards into the paddock? At least we'd get a few cool wildlife shots.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
8/1/18 9:17 a.m.

I have to say, this does increase my odds of placing semi-well. Still have a lot of work to do though....

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UltraDork
8/1/18 9:29 a.m.

So, discussing what all of this will mean in terms of changes to my plans for the car this year with another GRMer, it brought up an interesting question: With not doing the drags does this mean that some of the rules that are in place because the NHRA rules require them, for example the one that I'm looking at: requiring an externally-accessible cutoff switch for a relocated battery, will no longer be required?

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
8/1/18 10:01 a.m.

I've always felt the tech guys are drag racers and they tech like drag racers.  I could be wrong.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
8/1/18 10:17 a.m.

Pro solo would actually be a sweet idea all by itself.

There's the autox in the morning, participants get pro drivers if desired.

Pro solo in evening, you have to drive your own car. You can look at morning results to pair cars up for good races.

I do also like the "1/8th ish mile" (can we just call it eminem-ish?). No track prep and autox tires makes it a different ball game, but still would be cool.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist New Reader
8/1/18 10:41 a.m.
Robbie said:

Pro solo would actually be a sweet idea all by itself.

There's the autox in the morning, participants get pro drivers if desired.

I like your thinking. Well except for the "eminem-ish" thing; my answer would be NO.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
8/1/18 11:00 a.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

Palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy. There's vomit on his sweater already: mom's spaghetti. He's nervous but on the surface he looks calm and ready...

wink

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/1/18 11:00 a.m.

Not really enough room there for a Pro Solo-type of mirrored course.

But there is room for a pursuit-style course... Hmm.... I may have to investigate that a bit.

Right now the plan is for a morning autocross in the typical Challenge fashion, just a bit bigger wince we'll be using more space.

The evening course will be faster and simpler than the morning course. Tentatively we're also planning on doing a set-distance "launch straight" that will have separate timing and a separate time display. It will be a pure acceleration zone before the first corner or brake input. We're hoping to make this straight somewhere in the 300-400 foot range, but we'll have to go do a site survey to figure that out exactly.

So here's the big question: Are the times on that launch straight part of the competition or simply for bragging rights? Keep in mind that since this will be in the parking lot, burnouts will likely not be allowed.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/1/18 11:08 a.m.

I want the Mumpkin back. wink

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
8/1/18 11:10 a.m.

If the "launch straight" is part of the competition (which I would like it to be), then you might still see some teams change tires/setup.

if the afternoon session is timed like autox (best run counts) I bet you will see teams running different setups, one to make the straight time and one to make the total time.

Just a consideration.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/1/18 11:15 a.m.

How about requiring the builder to drive their own creation on one of the two autocross sections as mentioned earlier.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/1/18 11:23 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

You’ve got mail.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/1/18 11:27 a.m.
pimpm3 said:

Easy for you...

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
8/1/18 11:42 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

I'd lean towards keeping the "drag" portion a non-scoring part of the event. However, measure and record times and give out a "What a Drag!" trophy to the fastest time. I think that's what Andy got awarded in 2011 when the drags got rained out. The sentiment is similar here.

I'd say embrace that this year is going to be different and more focused on handling performance. I'm genuinely excited to see how things shake out with this double autocross format. I agree that it's not quite to the original spirit of the event (fastest, low expense car, in drag reachingra autocross), but that doesn't mean it won't generate interesting and informative content for the magazine.

And whatever happens, it will all go back to "normal" next year. And that should be a fast year because all of the drag racers will have had an extra year to develop their cars. Maybe the current 9.51 second record will fall.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
8/1/18 11:50 a.m.

I’d just like a firm direction so I know what to plan for in the next week.

Not that there aren’t excellent ideas, but this is a big change late in the game.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
8/1/18 12:07 p.m.

Firm Direction:

Two autocross courses. One normal, one more open. Launch straight that will be a separate trophy, but not part of the overall scoring.

All tech rules will remain the same, even the drag-centered ones. This is a one-year deviation, not an ongoing change.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist New Reader
8/1/18 12:19 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Firm Direction:

Please define "more open". If this means a course that doesn't play to the Miata (and yes, I know Miata is always the answer), so perhaps something else that's not short course compromised can make up some ground, I may be able to proceed with my build. Otherwise, I would expect the top five places to variants on the Miata or its ilk... like the MR2 I posted as NMNA in the $2018 Classifieds last week (Apparently sold, the ad isn't answering my emails now.)

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
8/1/18 12:30 p.m.

I think the more open courses can actually favor the miata like cars as they don't have to slow down for the corners. The tight courses can favor the vette's because they can get from turn to turn faster.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/1/18 12:31 p.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

Where are you based?

You apparently have an interest in an MR2, and I’ve got a nice one. wink

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
8/1/18 12:48 p.m.
Robbie said:

Actually, now that I think about it, ill put it like this.

I heard someone once say that all autoxes are just combinations of slaloms and u-turns. slaloms favor the skinny, light, low HP cars since they carry more speed through the slalom. U-turns favor the wide, heavy, high HP cars (mostly because they aren't slaloming).

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/1/18 1:07 p.m.

How about we'll say that one course will be a bit more complex and transitional and the other course will be simpler and more sweepery. Does that help?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/1/18 1:12 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Sweepery. Good technical word!!

Does the firm direction also confirm that pro drivers will be available for both events?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/1/18 1:15 p.m.
Robbie said:
Robbie said:

Actually, now that I think about it, ill put it like this.

You need to get out to more events.  You will find that power negates that ability to not slow down.  More than negates it.  Tight courses are hard for bigger cars, and Vettes are bigger than Miatas.  If you are still in SE MI, go to a Vette event, and then go to an AROC event- notice the relative difference in performance of cars at those two events.  You'll see that small cars light tight courses, and power cars like open courses.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist New Reader
8/1/18 1:24 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to rdcyclist :

Where are you based?

You apparently have an interest in an MR2, and I’ve got a nice one. wink

San Jose, CA. Undoubtedly a coupla thousand miles from the location of said "Nice One"...angry

rdcyclist
rdcyclist New Reader
8/1/18 1:26 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Sure does. Probably. I think.

I still have no idea what I'm going to be doing in the middle of October but I guess we'll see when the time comes. Hey, if it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would get done.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
8/1/18 1:54 p.m.
alfadriver said:
Robbie said:
Robbie said:

Actually, now that I think about it, ill put it like this.

I AGREE I need to get to more events!!

However this is coming from an admittedly small personal dataset that does seem to contradict conventional wisdom. I used to go to 3-4 autoxes per year, and for 4 or so years I would play "miata or vette" with myself at the event. It was actually something I would log on a sheet of paper (I had a notebook to track car setup and my own personal results vs ftd and pax, etc), I had a checkbox for course favors miata or corvette. I'd look at the results to see if the car with the faster times was a corvette or a miata.

I can tell you that most of the time the miatas won courses I would've described as big and open and the vettes won the tight ones. I was almost always surprised.

That said I will admit that my "study" is highly flawed because it depends on who shows up, car prep level, drivers, conditions, etc, not to mention sample size is probably low...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/1/18 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

The hard part is that it's not a general Miata v Vette question.  It's more about driver A in Car B vs. Driver X in Car Y- and noting the relative difference in those cars.

I'd never make a general statement about how fast Vettes are at a Vette event, but there were 4-5 Vette drivers who I knew very well, and you could use their data to make a comparison.  One of those drivers was the fastest driver in an Alfa at an AROC convention back in 2007, when we let some people volunteering to help take our loaner cars out.  They were great drivers.  So on an equally time long course (not distance), the distance between the best Miata/Alfa drivers were closer at an AROC event than a Vette event.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
8/1/18 4:15 p.m.

just make a Roebling Road type course,  plenty of straight's plenty of turns. Fast sweepery's , tight turns  short straights.  divide by two, 1 lap by a pro 1 by owner. or ringer but Alan Mc. can't be the ringer and the Pro.nor can anyone else, MY ego wants to drive, my age and reaction time say otherwise.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
8/1/18 4:17 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

I guess this could finally be my chance to take the overall title in my LEAF!

Only if the new high-speed autocross course includes a cliff.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
8/1/18 4:57 p.m.

two  kegs   of  beer    and  bring back the sliced beef   and  more  meatballs     and   anything bacon

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
8/1/18 5:15 p.m.

Well, I have a $2,000 NC to put back together.  If it shakes out as well as I hope and expect it to, double autocross is gonna be right up my alley!

And, just an aside here, I feel like having the “pro-driver” wheel your car to a fast time should at least have an asterisk by the result.  Drive yo own E36 M3 people!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/1/18 6:01 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

Realistically, the asterisk goes to the driver who drives their own car.  FTD in the owner driven car is pretty darned rare at the challenge since the pro drivers were introduces in 2003.  Remember, this is a competition of cars, not drivers.  And having driven my own cars at a Challenge, I'm totally Ok with the pro drivers.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
8/1/18 6:47 p.m.

Any chance of finding a banked oval? I like the thought of building my 2 1/2 ton v8 Caprice as if NASCAR had a wagon class in the 90s

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
8/1/18 7:11 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

YES! so much YES!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/1/18 7:45 p.m.
GTXVette said:

Datsun is over budget now and retired from challenge duties.  Plus i’m a drag racer.  I can make a car handle if i care, but when the current build gets trotted out you’ll understand where my head is.  Maybe, nobody including myself really knows where my head is.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
8/2/18 7:21 a.m.
alfadriver said:
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

I agree, the competition is more about the cars than the drivers, for me at least. Last year I did not use a pro driver at all, mostly because I was troubleshooting the car all day and there wasn't much to be gained. If the car is in good shape this year I sure will let a pro drive it, just to see how well it can do.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
8/2/18 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Too bad I guess, I've said before I spent 30 years on Hi Banked Ovals and an occasional flat track, as a Kid though I was all about Road racing . after buying a couple cars and racing against Castrol, Jaguar and Factory sponsored Teams For Plastic Trophy's. moving over to a show that Pays Cash was Easy . Any way, here we are.

Wonder if we can get an event started that runs every W.E.in season, that brakes up cars in competitive classes and ran 1 or 2 hour races with about 4 classes For CASH Money. It Cost me 25.00 dollars to come through the Gate with a car, Late model Paid around 2000.00 to win 2nd 1000. 00 3rd was 500, and so on through 10th. lower classes paid less but even Street Stock paid a grand.

I think the champcar and crap can cars cost as much to start a race as we would win, That's way Out Of Proportion. unless you have a chance to win it back.

But this is about the Challenge, I say Make Laps at Road Atlanta, Drag on the Back straight (or front) drive across the street to the Oval make some Laps and /or Then drive them up to Atlanta Drag way. Yes I said Drive, I am sure we could get a Parade permit to allow us to drive up there. And Hey GRM can close the season with the Challenge and open it with the Mitty at Road Atlanta.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
8/2/18 11:05 a.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

Wish I could give more than one thumbs up

Antihero
Antihero HalfDork
8/2/18 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Or some sort of road course would be awesome

FWIW.....im bringing an 84 Caprice to the challenge next year

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
8/2/18 12:39 p.m.

Just curious.....why would Gainesville tell you the  Challenge is harder on their facility than the GatorNationals?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/2/18 12:45 p.m.
Jerry From LA said:

It’s a joke.  Tom was pulling out his inner JG

i’m excited the track will be fixed for next year, the surface and especially the shutdown area past the first turnoff are whooped big time

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
8/2/18 12:55 p.m.

We talked it over last night and decided that The Challenge is ... well a challenge so bring it on.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/2/18 1:09 p.m.
Patrick said:
Jerry From LA said:

It’s a joke.  Tom was pulling out his inner JG

I was thinking they might be talking about fluid spills and metal parts dragging on the track cheeky

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/2/18 1:14 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Patrick said:
Jerry From LA said:

It’s a joke.  Tom was pulling out his inner JG

Or perhaps the tennis shoe residue from pushing a car down the track.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
8/2/18 2:16 p.m.

Or the pavement-softening effects of barfed-out  Pep Boys ATF.

FIYAPOWA
FIYAPOWA Reader
8/3/18 7:45 a.m.

Has using another geographical location ever been considered?  I know it would be further to drive for GRM staff, but you might attract some different competitors...

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
8/3/18 8:18 a.m.

In reply to FIYAPOWA :

The Challenge really does take the efforts of the whole GRM crew to pull off. I’m not sure they could do it anywhere further than a couple hours from GRM HQ.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
8/3/18 8:42 a.m.

I like going to Florida in the fall. A few years back they threatened to have it in June at hyperfest. Much closer to me, but at a poor time of the year for me to take off.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist New Reader
8/3/18 9:28 a.m.

In reply to FIYAPOWA :

Apparently they tried an event in California and got ONE competitor. California would be perfect for me 'cuz Gainesville is about as far from as you can get in the continental US. I would welcome a central US location (Nebraska?) but considering the amount the entry fee is and the level of participation by the GRM staff, I understand the logistics don't really work for an off-site site.

FIYAPOWA
FIYAPOWA Reader
8/3/18 9:28 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Very true.  Throwing it out though, it'd be possible to out-source work and scheduling (I don't have a Challenge car, but I'd be happy to just work or help out).  Just considering that it's a long weekend event at a drag strip/parking lot, it wouldn't be impossible for it to happen at another venue.  You know, how SCCA moves the Runoffs every year (I think)?  As a side idea, combine the Challenge weekend with a LeMons/Champcar event, and there could be a road course event, plus you might have some pro drivers there anyway.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
8/3/18 12:11 p.m.
alfadriver said:
GameboyRMH said:
Patrick said:
Jerry From LA said:

It’s a joke.  Tom was pulling out his inner JG

Or perhaps the tennis shoe residue from pushing a car down the track.

I am having them recapped now,  That really was kinda Slap Stick Comedy wasn't it, I had a ball.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/3/18 1:59 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

I think that’s a pretty awesome compromise.

SaulGoode
SaulGoode New Reader
8/4/18 6:53 a.m.

It's not called the Easy, it's called the Challenge for a reason.  This is not just a drag racing event with other stuff thrown in to fill the rest of the weekend.  Honestly, to me it is more about camaraderie, supporting the event, and hanging out with a bunch of good people.  Saul Goode racing has switched gears (with no clutch, lol!!!) To make our creation competitive for the current event list.  I challenge all of you to do the same.  We will be there, and I hope all of you will be too.

Just a suggestion.  How about in the future, we have a mystery event that gets told to the builders at the track.  That way, people have to build multi-purpose cars that do everything well?

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
8/4/18 7:10 a.m.

GREAT Idea, One year at Road Atlanta, STAINLESS STEEL BRAKES DID A 0 TO 60 TO 0, THEY HAD A V-8 SOLTICE,I had my Buick, the fastest was a supercharged crown vic with 13" brakes.  so a (stealing here) launch box start and a narrow box to stop in, that could be a hoot.

p.s. Parachutes Optional. HEY it's the Challenge.

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
8/4/18 7:20 a.m.

In reply to SaulGoode :

I like the idea of a Challenge Roulette.  Let's see we could have short autocross (open and tight), long autocross (open and tight), reaction time, 60 foot time, 1/8 mile (ET and Trap), or 1/4 mile (ET and Trap).  That'd give us 10 events that could be chosen from randomly right before the Challenge.  Know it won't happen but the looks on some people's faces when they see 1/4 mile Trap and reaction time selected would be priceless.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
8/4/18 7:23 a.m.

Scoobie took 3 seconds to get off the line...... had an Amazing top end.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/4/18 9:09 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to SaulGoode :

Just to point out one thing- reaction time is 100% driver skill, not car.  And IMHO, 60ft time is about 50/50.

And since this is an event to feature the cars.....  Well.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
8/4/18 1:01 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I just wish they’d have pro drivers available for the 1/4-mile too. Surely Garlits wouldn’t mind helping out next year?

Antihero
Antihero HalfDork
8/4/18 1:32 p.m.
FIYAPOWA said:

As someone who lives in north idaho....closer would be great.

40 hrs of driving one way prevents me from doing this every year. If it was half the distance i would have done several challenges by now

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
8/4/18 3:03 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

If I had to drive 40 hours one way, I'd consider filling the car with spares and tools, ship it and fly down.

Antihero
Antihero HalfDork
8/4/18 3:20 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Ive considered it, it comes out to about the same as driving, and amtrak auto train is only from washington dc.

At least with  along road trip theres a fun element to it......but we are literally talking about 12 days total including the challenge that i have to put aside.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/4/18 3:42 p.m.

"it's not called the EASY" made me LOL.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/4/18 3:43 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

You guys need to learn to drive together and overnight. My friend would do a 30 hr drive to Bonneville, race for the whole week, and it’s less than 12 days.

Our drive was a pedestrian 16 hours, but we would do it mostly at once.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
8/4/18 3:58 p.m.

I’ve been looking for a long distance fly and drive if anyone wanted to build my streetable challenge car.

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
8/4/18 4:58 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

I'll build you a "streetable challenge car" for the grand total of $2018.  I think you already have my PayPal address.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
8/4/18 5:02 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I’d like to request a Miata with 700/400 lb springs on coilover sleeves with a 225 200tw tire and the 3” lift kit.

I’m still thinking whoever ponies up for new Hoosiers this year has the best chance at winning.

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
8/4/18 5:14 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

Cost to pick up your hooptie from the seller are exempt. If you wish to ship it to Seattle and pick it up from me there then go for it. Note that "streetable" wasn't define in miles.

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
8/4/18 5:15 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

In reply to Stampie :

I'd like to surprise you.

Antihero
Antihero HalfDork
8/5/18 1:11 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I could definitely cannonball it and never stop.....but that doesn't leave much for a fun road trip. 12 days is if we, fiancee/wife by next challenge, take in some sights etc.

It's 40 hours driving one way so technically I could do it in 2 days without stopping one way.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/5/18 8:09 p.m.

This would be an excellent opportunity to temporarily relocate the event to Pennsylvania, New Jersey or even Maine.

In fact, GRM once hosted an event near Cape Cod, so we know that it is do-able.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
8/6/18 7:48 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to alfadriver :

Maybe not technically "pro drivers", but I'm sure there are plenty of Drag veterans on other teams that would be willing to drive a pass or three to help out.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/6/18 9:23 a.m.

I leave for the summer and things around here go all wonky. Crimeny.

I'm not sure this influences any decision I might have had about entering any of the crap sitting in my yard as it's all ugly and uncompetitive, but my schedule did firm up so I'll certainly be there in something or another.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/6/18 9:57 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Welcome back!

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/6/18 10:17 a.m.

Thanks for the positive and understanding response to what is a tough situation for all of us. We're going to work even harder this year to make sure the event is fun and rewarding for all concerned.

As far as the suggestions that we move the Challenge, we've experimented with the idea in years past, including one live run of a possible venue, but there are a lot of moving pieces that all combine to give the event the character it has; that makes moving it much more complicated and risky than it seems on the surface. And at the end of the day, we are not the SCCA devoting its large organization and volunteer force to a years-long process of planning and implementing a rotating road show. We are publishers that put on event-sanctioning hats a couple of times a year.

Now, would I rather Le Mans happened in the U.S. so I could get there more easily? Sure. But it happens in France, just as the Rolex 24 happens at Daytona, the Hawk happens at Road America, and the 12 Hour Race happens at Sebring–and the Challenge happens at Gainesville. That doesn't mean we aren't going to constantly work to make the event better.  Hope to see everyone there.

Margie

rdcyclist
rdcyclist New Reader
8/6/18 10:42 a.m.

Thanks Margie! While I would love to see The Challenge in, say, San Jose, California I completely understand the logistics of moving the event with the resources available to GRM. I also totally got the gritted teeth in the title and Tom's first post but I can see how that goes for the Gainesville facility. It's not like we're going to attract tens of thousands of spectators (Hey! Why not?) to buy beer, hats and hot dogs. All their schedule impacts in this case is about 50 competitors and another 50 spectators.

I'm really glad you've got something planned to keep this from being a Miatafest, not that it would be a bad thing, but my build revolves around a little more than a really good autocross car. I was initially going to pass but the 1/8 mile straightaway autocross course might work well for me. I know I'm going to get killed in the short course so the hope is to make up some of that shortcoming with the long course. We'll see...

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
8/6/18 11:54 a.m.

That's the Spirit,   This change benefit's cars like mine  so yea,

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
8/6/18 12:28 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

.....–and the Challenge happens at Gainesville. ...

Margie

I fully endorse keeping the event in Gainesville.  As a competitor there is something special about the event, the location, the track, the hotel and the opportunity to go to family friendly activities nearby.  If GRM decides to take this on the road we will follow,  But Gainesville is like a favorite pair of sneakers...it has a very comfortable feel that is part of the event.

Our decision to skip this year is directly tied to the Drags being eliminated.  It was and still is with great heartburn.  We love this event.  However, for this year we were building 2 cars that were intended to back up last years efforts and for the post Challenge life they will be subjected to.

We weighed our options very quickly.  One option was to continue the current builds and drive them around the autocross events.  We build Challenge cars.  The cars have to do all three parts and they would not be bad A-x'ers, but they would not be the high(est) performers.  And as JG wrote in a great article, we all have to devise a plan to capture the points needed to win the overall.  2018 was going to be our grand finally for the Drags, as we plan to do an all out attack on the only discipline we didn't win after this year.  That is now going to have to wait.  I am thrilled to share that Fuzzy (Calvin) has many runs deep into the 10s in testing on his own tune and has over a dozen 130+ passes.  A goal this year was to get him to a point where he could get his Pro License.   The car was immediately altered with the announcement of the event change.  More will be heard on these cars and specifically the one Fuzzy is testing now.  Option 2 was to throw the Vette together and come down.  Had the announcement come 2 weeks earlier we would have brought it.  Option 3 was to bring Bugzilla back in A-x dress.  It has placed in the top 10 each time it competed in the A-x, and finished in 2nd in 2011.  But ... we are running points in Bugzilla and we are currently 2nd in the points in our class.  The series final race is immediately after the Challenge and we can't afford a failure or the time to switch things back and forth.  Option 4 - we debated the merits of running another competitors car.  Buying a set of tires for one weekend did not make sense.

Long story short we are very disappointed that we can't share what has been a 1000+ hour effort to prepare 2 cars that will be very successful in the intended post Challenge venues.  For those of you following the X-Bomb build, we started installing higher dollar parts onto the car the day that we got the news about the event change.

We are already preparing for 2019.  We laid out a plan to use information learned this year on the car Fuzzy is testing to help make our 2019 effort even better.

Truth be known, I haven't canceled the hotel room yet...we may just come to visit with enough enticement....we really do enjoy this event.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/6/18 1:23 p.m.

We’ve shifted to fixing the steering on the Datsun to try and run as many local events as possible before it gets cold out.  Apparently you can finish 3rd overall in a car with non existent steering rack bushings and tie rods with almost enough play to pop the ball out of the socket.

I’m thinking of doing a build thread on the currently top secret (now) $2019 car because it’s going to be hard to keep it wrapped up while testing next year, and we’re hoping the two we want to bring next year can squeeze into the trailer.  The V nose might make that possible.

Going to take advantage of skipping this year to do a family vacation that does not require forethought for parking a 34’ long trailer.  It gets old fast trying to find somewhere to stay that has those kind of parking accommodations

i agree it’s called the challenge for a reason, but you’ll understand when you see what i’m building why it’s not feasible.  I’m coming to play on my own terms from now on, in the end I need to live with the cars I build so I’m building stuff I want to own.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
8/7/18 10:59 a.m.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
8/7/18 2:43 p.m.

There's an answer I'd like to get from Gainesville Raceway.  Repaving a racetrack is not an overnight decision.  I would think such a decision was made at least a month or two ago so why would they wait so long to tell GRM?  Motorsport Marketing rents the track for a couple of days.  That would make them a "preferred customer" in my mind so why wouldn't they accommodate GRM by starting the re-paving after the Challenge?

I'm just a guy who follows the event so I really don't have any skin in the game.  However, it looks to me like GRM got the shaft from Gainesville.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/7/18 3:59 p.m.
Jerry From LA said:

G’ville told us earlier in the year that the track was scheduled to be repaved at the end of the year, but that it wasn’t expected to impact us. Although we didn’t get any detail as to why they decided to hit the go button sooner on the repaving, I wouldn’t be surprised if our super wet summer so far either degraded the surface, or made them want a wider time window to get the job done.

Either way, they are in business, and having the track ready for the Gator Nationals in March is going to be more important than keeping it open for the Challenge. I get that.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/7/18 4:39 p.m.

Here in Norwalk, Ohio the local Drag Strip, Summit Motorsports Park did a $1.6M repaving.  It was fraught with weather delays and some "concrete application error" delays.  This local article went on to say:

As a result of the delays, the 37th Annual Spring Warm-Up this weekend, which was to be the season opener at the park, and the Lingenfelter Performance Engineering Wednesday Fun Night on May 2, were canceled.

The 30th Annual University of Northwestern Ohio High School Nationals, which was scheduled for May 6, will now take place on Sept. 9.  This means that these High School Seniors will not be able to compete in this event until early in their Freshman year of College, ha.

I am sure the world of NHRA sanctioned facilities is a very small world and I would not be surprised if the issues at one track did not make G'ville reconsider their timelines.

In this article, the track owner says

“We lost the first two weeks and five total events

j0N5pce3yjNjHV5e68C0k9k2nqgmJwvP881uXa0VetfmaI0rcSOb5WNDG4t0fxVm