Hurricane Dorian Disrupts Regularly Scheduled Programming

If you haven't heard, Hurricane Dorian is headed straight for Grassroots Motorsports' world headquarters in Holly Hill, Florida, and that, unfortunately, means that instead of bringing you loads of amazing stories, we'll be preparing our homes and families for the coming storm. After the damage we received from Hurricane Irma, we aren't taking any chances with this year's preparations. Our editorial office will also be closed today through Tuesday at the very earliest, but those with subscription questions can still call (877) 677-6878 for assistance. Don't worry–you'll still see new content posted on our website throughout the storm, and the next print issue of Grassroots Motorsports will mail on time. Have your own Hurricane Dorian stories or plans to share? Post them in the comments below. And stay safe.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Hurricane Dorian news.
Comments
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/30/19 12:53 p.m.

PS: We've also canceled our trips to SCCA Solo Nationals for JG and David. The Tacos and Talent welcome party will still go on as planned with guest host Shane Donahue in charge, and senior freelance editors Andy Hollis and Carl Heidemann will be there covering the event for us while Perry Bennett and Rupert Berrington take lovely photos.

In the meantime, we secure in place, stock up on survival gear and wait. Maybe I'll do a live feed from the eye if I'm not outside picking my gazebo off the lawn.

06HHR
06HHR Dork
8/30/19 1:01 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Long as your not picking important bits of your house up off the lawn, you can live with that.  Stay safe brother..

aw614
aw614 Reader
8/30/19 1:08 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

jeez missing nationals 2/3 years really sucks, and the one year you go it was that crazy storm in lincoln. I'll never forget your fb live video of your run in that rain.

Stay safe, also preparing over on the west coast in Tampa for this storm

Ransom
Ransom UltimaDork
8/30/19 1:27 p.m.

Take care, all of you, and everybody else in the area!

I cross my fingers that everybody's people and things are okay, and to be able to go back to reasonably champing at the bit for news of the MGB GT autocross tangent without bigger concerns...

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
8/30/19 1:31 p.m.

All of you down there stay safe and keep us posted.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
8/30/19 1:32 p.m.

Hang in there and be safe. As a Alabama Gulf Coast resident I know the pain in the butt it is to prepare and how the waiting for the storm can seem like an eternity. However it’s better to prepare well and not need it then to not prepare and have a direct or near direct hit. We have always stayed (not directly on coast and am on high ground) but a category 4 may be a good reason to get out of its way.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
8/30/19 1:35 p.m.

Just to add a little levity to the situation while we can...

300zxfreak
300zxfreak New Reader
8/30/19 1:37 p.m.

It’s a really good time to live in Ohio.......just sayin’.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/30/19 1:39 p.m.
300zxfreak said:

It’s a really good time to live in Ohio.......just sayin’.

Yeah let's not be ridiculous here.

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
8/30/19 1:45 p.m.

Batten down the hatches and good luck! Stay safe!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
8/30/19 1:57 p.m.

Stay safe there guys!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
8/30/19 1:58 p.m.
300zxfreak said:

It’s a really good time to live in Ohio.......just sayin’.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
8/30/19 1:59 p.m.

Stay safe and see you on the other side.

FYI: I talked to Dorian ( my GF)  about taking it easy on everyone, she said would put in a good word. No promises.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
8/30/19 1:59 p.m.

Let me add this to the reasons not to live in Florida.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
8/30/19 2:11 p.m.
akylekoz said:

Let me add this to the reasons not to live in Florida.

I'm in the same county as the GRM headquarters. We're prepared.

I figure this is the price we pay for not having to shovel snow. I'm good with that, plus I can have multiple autocross opportunities every month, year round!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/30/19 2:18 p.m.

Come on, somebody try showing Hurricane Dorian its portrait to see if it shrivels up and dies. I don't think I'll get a chance to do that myself, although a couple of the tracks on the spaghetti model show it coming through Atlanta. If it does, I'm totally going to try that.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
8/30/19 2:21 p.m.

My wife’s family are in the DIRECT path as of 3:20 on 8/30/19. And 2/3 want to leave and the other 1/3 refuses.

2/3 are over 60 with health issues and 1/3 is younger and healthy and wants to get out.

Its GD maddening.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
8/30/19 2:22 p.m.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/30/19 2:24 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

Bwahaha thought the first thing when I first heard the name laugh

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/30/19 2:24 p.m.

Don't worry about the stories... we got this. Hell, you could probably throw together a magazine just from the E36 M3 we have all shared here. Talk about making it easier for you. We could call it "GRM, the other side to the zany mag we all love".

But seriously... be safe. I'm not afraid to say I'm not mad at anyone that packs up and gets the hell outta dodge when these come through. Y'alls got a bedroom in Indiana for a few nights if you need... but that seems a bit extreme.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/30/19 2:25 p.m.
pinchvalve said:
300zxfreak said:

It’s a really good time to live in Ohio.......just sayin’.

there's a reason so many astronauts come from there....

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/30/19 2:27 p.m.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/30/19 2:35 p.m.

On the bright side, you get to miss the reported concrete dustbowl.

Stay safe guys!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/30/19 3:38 p.m.

Hang on guys and good luck.

I’ll never bitch about a little snow again.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/30/19 4:01 p.m.
914Driver said:

Hang on guys and good luck.

I’ll never bitch about a little snow again.

I'm not dumb enough to make that promise!

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
8/30/19 4:04 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

But, ya know what?  At least we don't live in Illinois!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/30/19 5:14 p.m.
bobzilla said:
914Driver said:

Hang on guys and good luck.

I’ll never bitch about a little snow again.

I'm not dumb enough to make that promise!

I've never not had a real winter, but I very much don't want to be near a hurricane.  My wife grew up with the threat, and she LOVES winter.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/30/19 6:31 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

Its GD maddening.

The 2/3 needs to leave the 1/3.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
8/30/19 7:21 p.m.

I'll be thinking about you all down there.  Stay safe and keep your drawers dry.  Hurricanes alone would keep me from living on the Florida coast.  That and my ginger ass melts in high heat and humidity.

In Denver we only have to deal with baseball sized hail.  Only.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
8/30/19 8:23 p.m.

Well it’s still very early to know where Dorian will actually go but latest model runs seem to show hurricane approach Florida coast and then sharply turning north. Not exactly ideal but let’s all hope the trend continues and possibly the turn north happens before landfall.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/30/19 8:30 p.m.
alfadriver said:
bobzilla said:
914Driver said:

Hang on guys and good luck.

I’ll never bitch about a little snow again.

I'm not dumb enough to make that promise!

36 years of winter. 4 years in florida. 3 years with hurricanes worthy of disney closing. I'll take hurricanes every. single. time.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
8/30/19 8:44 p.m.

In reply to pirate :

I suspect it turns north and makes landfall between Myrtle Beach SC and Orcacoke, NC.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
8/30/19 8:55 p.m.
pinchvalve said:
300zxfreak said:

It’s a really good time to live in Ohio.......just sayin’.

I take it that's in Youngstown.

Foxworx
Foxworx Reader
8/30/19 9:01 p.m.

Be safe

Be well

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
8/30/19 9:24 p.m.

It's been upgraded this evening to a cat 4. I'm almost dead center of the current  projected cone of doom landfall and only 2 miles from the Atlantic. The roof is bad because Irma ripped it up and insurance wouldn't pay. Currently waiting to see what happens with suit filed about a month ago. Spent the afternoon yesterday on the roof nailing down loose shingles and tabs. There are areas where you can see the roofing paper because there isn't shingles covering it. I am NOT a happy camper.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
8/31/19 12:19 a.m.

I also had to cancel my trip to Nationals because of this hurricane. This one looks bad. stay safe everyone

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/31/19 7:11 a.m.

Hello South Carolina!

Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
8/31/19 7:21 a.m.

The update is looking better for us down here, but the models don't agree too much. Lots of uncertainty still.

Reminds me of a smaller version of hurricane Floyd.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/31/19 7:25 a.m.

4 houses boarded so far (big local family), 1 to go. I think we’re gonna make it!

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
8/31/19 10:59 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Hello.

We will have to see if it keeps turning east. One can hope.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
8/31/19 11:06 a.m.

Stay safe everyone.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
8/31/19 11:53 a.m.

The professionals are now following the track I suggested based on wind direction in the mid Atlantic yesterday suggesting the H was weakening and moving east sooner.

8/31/19 12:07 p.m.
echoechoecho said:

Bummer to hear that. This hurricane also canceled my trip to Gainesville this past Wednesday. Next time I'm up that way, I'll let you know.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
8/31/19 2:13 p.m.

With global warming our winters are getting shorter and milder.

So I'll stay put.    Just don't like having to board up my house and running to safety.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/31/19 2:22 p.m.

Looking at the weather you all in Florida May be getting a glancing blow. Here is hoping it tracks north and on out to sea.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
8/31/19 2:53 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I moved to Jacksonville a few months ago, but with family living across the Florida east coast I just couldn't leave. but it looks like we may have dodged a bullet.

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
8/31/19 4:08 p.m.

Everybody along the eastern seaboard be safe (this could go anywhere at this point). The power companies from up here in PA/DE/Jersey already left here.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/31/19 4:16 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Hello South Carolina!

Hey that’s not fair!!

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
8/31/19 4:29 p.m.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/31/19 5:51 p.m.

Hoping it doesn’t follow the new track. 2pm Thursday is high tide here and the track has the eye just off of Cape Fear. Similar to Hurricane Mathew that caused a lot of flooding. I am rooting for the track to keep shifting, so it turns way right and goes out to sea.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
8/31/19 9:48 p.m.

Last time around GRM covered home hurricane prep. After the home is secured, what are some typical preparations for the garage?

Even Ohio has had to deal with hurricanes if you remember the Fall 2000 floods and the super-destructive 2008 windstorm.

8/31/19 10:32 p.m.
GCrites80s said:

Our very limited garage prep:

I put the cover on the 911 in case anything happens to fall off the shelf that's beside it. (Figure a tiny bit of padding is better than no padding.)

Jump packs are charging so we have juice for phones and stuff. We don't have a generator, but our neighbors do and are happy to share so there's a gas can and extension cords at the ready.

I know where the tarps are--just in case. Plus I have a giant roll of plastic sheeting and a stapler gun. Today I checked that they're where I last saw them.

So far that's it.

8/31/19 10:39 p.m.

Oh, I also kinda straightened up in there because someone made a mess. Figure there's a real chance I'll be looking for something in there in the dark.

We don't have much left to do. I want to check the upstairs gutters tomorrow and make sure they're still clear. Once the storm lands, we'll move the plants next to the house/into the screen room.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/31/19 11:43 p.m.
GCrites80s said:

Yeah garage prep is basically like home prep for us as well. Secure, organize, mitigate. Our garage is a 3000sf steel building, so it would take a heck of a wind to cause any real damage. it might lose some skin in truly extreme conditions, but the structure is basically a giant roll cage. Like any structure, though, you concentrate on the weak points, because a breach can substantially weaken the whole system. With a big garage, those weak points tend to be roll up doors. Ours are rated to over 100mph of wincd, but we'll still do some mitigation depending on which direction we expect the wind coming from. Like parking a large vehicle in front of a door, or using a T-brace inside the door to provide a little additional support.

Aside from that, it's mostly a matter of understanding that you're going to lose power at some point, so posting extra flashlights around is never a bad idea, especially near entry doors. I'll have the Corvette, the MR2, my Leaf and my wife's CX5 in the shop. My pickup truck will probably stay outside and provide some additional windbreak for the north facing door.

I've also been doing some research into wind mitigation fabric—basically perforated tarps—which can considerably lessen windload when placed in front of structures. They also don't produce the high-speed vortices that solid barriers can create around their edges. The trick is they need some separation to do their job properly. Like, a windbreak placed 6" in front of a window still leaves the window vulnerable to damage from debris and wind, but a windbreak placed 5' in front of a window can substantially reduce the pressure of air hitting the surface behind it. Probably not for this go around, but I'm thinking of implementing some of that strategy on our pool deck, where we have a lot of glass, but also a nice natural alcove to create a wind wall from.

Depending on how things shake out with this storm, maybe I'll try a live update at some point. Hopefully it's more of a "It missed us but here's what we did to prepare in case it didn't" than a "OH THE HUMANITY" update.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak New Reader
9/1/19 8:26 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Please don’t confuse The MIstake on the Lake with southwestern Ohio, where we have the Bungles to be ashamed of. And, I have to admit, we get the hell out of Dodge in the winter and head to Florida (post hurricane season) Everybody in the path, please be safe.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
9/1/19 8:44 p.m.

Meh, in Ohio it snows and I shovel the driveway/walkway.  Maybe 12-16" of it but whatever.  Hurricane that could blow the roof off the house?  I'll take my chances with frozen bits of water.  (Then again we had Memorial Day tornadoes about 15 miles north of me that they're still recovering from.)

alfabeach
alfabeach New Reader
9/2/19 4:12 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

Last hurricane I did go to Ashtabula Ohio. This time Orange Park, Fl. Ponte Vedra Beach already has mandatory evacuation.

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
9/5/19 8:23 a.m.
akylekoz said:

Let me add this to the reasons not to live in Florida.

tony kozlowicz

There is no good reason not to live in Florida - we get to autocross all year long.

I say that blithely now that Dorian missed us.

Gqndueo8NwgEfzdBZeSsTJM40Y4UMe7RcUejuYHjWVfnHXpusmckdBLS92uluCTK