Just Announced: Mid-Engine Hyundai Veloster

It looks like the Hyundai Veloster N TCR but inside is a bit different: Instead of the typical front-engine, front-drive layout, this new RM19 Racing Midship Sports Car features a mid-engine arrangement along with rear-wheel drive.

The RM19 is powered by an unrestricted version of the engine found in the brand’s TCR car. Output is said to be about 390 horsepower. The layout, Hyundai says, could also accommodate electric and/or hybrid drivetrains.

So, the big question for the rest of the class: Would you rock it?

Scroll down for the formal release:

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 20, 2019 – Hyundai Motor Company today introduced the RM19 Racing Midship Sports Car to global media at 2019 AutoMobility LA. RM refers to the N prototype model’s “Racing Midship” body configuration, a key differentiator providing supercar-level handling balance and low-polar-moment-of-inertia agility for outstanding connection to the tarmac at all speeds and driving conditions.

In 2012, Hyundai embarked on a project called RM (Racing Midship) to develop and connect new high-performance motorsports technologies with future N models. Since the initiation of project RM and via evolution of the RM series (RM14, RM15 and RM16), RM models underwent extensive road testing to validate newly-developed technologies, observe their effects on performance, and improve them for subsequent application on future N models.

The RM platform is a versatile engineering testbed, allowing effective evaluation of various powertrains and performance levels, all on normal roads and environments,” said Albert Biermann, head of global research and development for Hyundai Motor Company. “Throughout the evolution of the RM series, our engineers have gained tremendous hands-on knowledge of high performance vehicle dynamics with various front-to-rear weight distributions coupled with the effects of a fully-weighted, high-strength body structure on vehicle performance.”

Featuring the most powerful 2.0-liter turbocharged, direct-injected engine of its kind, with an output of 390 horsepower, RM19 is expected to yield impressive zero-60 mph performance under four seconds. RM19 shares the 2.0-liter turbo engine with TCR racecars from Hyundai N development. However, unlike TCR racecars which are affected by BOP (Balance of Performance) adjustments, RM19 offers extra boost of its output without these BOP restrictions. RM19 offers racecar-like levels of performance, balance, braking and grip while retaining daily road-going capability.

In addition to the gasoline version, state-of-the-art electrified powertrains could provide clean, yet thrilling propulsion for the RM19. As Hyundai boasts an industry-leading variety of electrified propulsion, including production HEV, PHEV, BEV and FCEV powertrains, various types of electrified powertrains are available for testing a high-performance electric sports car. With the recent investment and strategic partnership with Rimac Automobili, Hyundai works closely together with Rimac to develop high-performance Electric and FCEV prototypes. Hyundai Motor Group has a strategic plan to deploy 44 eco-friendly models by 2025, taking the Hyundai N brand well into the environmentally-focused third decade of the twenty-first century.

The RM19 sports car signals future brand aspirations for Hyundai’s high-performance N brand, solidly moving N into the prestigious arena of supercar-level performance,” said Thomas Schemera, executive vice president and head of Hyundai Motor Group’s Product Division. “Hyundai N will not only increase heartbeats per minute via powerful internal combustion engines, but also through the instantaneous torque and environmental sustainability of electrified powertrains moving forward.”

The ‘N’ of Hyundai N stands for Namyang, home to Hyundai Motor’s global R&D Center in Korea since 1995, where the N concept was born, and for the Nürburgring, home to Hyundai Motor’s European Test Center. The close connection between Namyang and the Nürburgring created the foundation for N, building upon the company’s motorsport experience to bring thrilling road dynamics for those customers who truly love driving. The ‘N’ logo itself embodies this idea, as it symbolizes a classic road course chicane.

Hyundai N’s high-performance technologies are honed at the iconic Nürburgring Nordschleife. Each car taking part in Hyundai Motor’s accelerated durability tests will lap the track 420 to 480 times in both wet and dry conditions, simulating over 100,000 miles of severe driving in just four short weeks. The Nürburgring, with 73 corners and 13 miles of tarmac, is widely considered to be one of the most challenging tracks in the world, with a heritage that is second to none. It is also a motorsports complex and home to Hyundai Motor’s own 3,600 square meter testing center, which is operated by the Hyundai Motor Europe Technical Center.

RM19 (N Brand Prototype - Internal Combustion Engine) Specifications

Concept Name RM19 (Hyundai N brand prototype)

Concept Mid-ship Rear-drive high-performance vehicle with
gasoline-powered, turbocharged internal combustion engine

Body Configuration Two-seat, Two-door Coupe
Aluminum extrusion front subframe
Steel tube and plate rear subframe

Powertrain Layout Mid-engine, Rear Drive

Aerodynamics Large wing spoiler and rear air ducting for powertrain

Engine Enhanced Touring Car Racing (TCR) engine
2.0L Turbo with > 390 horsepower (TBD)

Gearbox 6 Speed Sequential Gearbox
(Identical TCR gearbox w/optimized gear ratios)

Top Speed > 250 KPH (> 155 MPH)
* speed limited for public road driving

Suspension Type (Front) MacPherson / (Rear) Double-Wishbone
(Adjustable hard points and geometry)

Dampers Conventional gas-pressure dampers

Brake 6-piston (front) / 4-piston (rear)

Parking Brake Mechanical type, in rear

ABS System Motorsport ABS M5 (Bosch)
* Not valid for public roads

Steering Assist Rack-mounted Motor-Driven Power Steering

Steering Wheel Design Veloster N TCR Design (with Paddle Shifters)

Overall Dimensions (mm) 4319 (Length) x 1945 (Width) x 1354 (Height) /
2672 (Wheelbase)

Overhang (mm) 899 (front) / 748 (rear)

Minimum Ground Clearance 100 mm

Tires (Front) 245/30R20, (Rear) 305/30R20

Wheels 20” X 8.5J (front) / 20” X 11.0J (rear)
One-piece Lightweight Forged Aluminum Alloy Wheels

Larger, flared wheel housing design

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Veloster and Hyundai news.
Comments
Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/20/19 1:58 p.m.

The rebirth of the Renault Clio Cup car, except with less kill you.  Cool!

I'd rock one, as a post-Powerball track toy.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
11/20/19 2:02 p.m.

I think I missed something.  What did they announce?  That they have a testbed car like this?

Its not a car anyone can buy and its not setup to participate in any race series, right?

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
11/20/19 2:08 p.m.

Hawt

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/20/19 2:16 p.m.

I'm curious if we'll see a street-going version. Seems unlikely, but then again, we got dumb stuff like the Juke R and and the AMG G63 6x6, so there could be a chance. Either that, or maybe some insane soul will somehow put one on the street like that guy with the Saleen SR Widebody.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
11/20/19 2:22 p.m.

What did they announce?  That they have a testbed car like this?

The way the release is worded makes it seem like the main point of talking about this car is to convince current and prospective Hyundai/N buyers that there are big things in the works specifically for street cars.  Which makes sense, because if you showed me this car and didn't explicitly convince me it was relevant to a street car I would immediately lose interest.

_
_ Dork
11/20/19 2:23 p.m.

I'd drive it to work every morning. For less than 55k. And it better have that warranty.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
11/20/19 2:27 p.m.

I think I squeeked a little

11/20/19 3:06 p.m.
Duke said:

The rebirth of the Renault Clio Cup car, except with less kill you.  Cool!

I'd rock one, as a post-Powerball track toy.

See also: Renault R5 Turbo. smiley

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/20/19 3:10 p.m.

Love it, but what racing series is it eligible to run in?

It seems like a press release saying they built a cool car you cannot buy and they cannot race, which makes it a bit hard to be too excited about it.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/20/19 3:16 p.m.
Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
11/20/19 3:20 p.m.

Pretty sweet! So is this green lit for production for Homologation purposes, or is it purely a concept?

GIRTHQUAKE said:

I think I squeeked a little

The euro-spec AMG CLA45 S makes 415hp. It does beat the regular CLA45 with a "measly" 382hp.

Shadeux
Shadeux Reader
11/20/19 4:31 p.m.

Given Hyundai and Kia's recent push into awesomeness, I could see this as a little version of the GT-R.  Honda and Toyota need to keep an eye on things.

gunner
gunner HalfDork
11/20/19 5:21 p.m.

Hard top, mid engine RWD? They could cut the power in half for the street and I'll buy a new one the second year they produce them. Edit: but only with a three pedal manual transmission.

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
11/20/19 5:42 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Something something C8.  In other words, this has to be $45 or $50k or what's the point?

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
11/20/19 5:56 p.m.

Oh helllllllll yes

BullManUGA
BullManUGA New Reader
11/20/19 7:58 p.m.

It's a Gran Turismo Sport Group 3 car come to life.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
11/20/19 8:03 p.m.

huh looks good as a 2 door. I cant tell if they are using the big drivers side doors or the smaller passenger side doors

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/20/19 8:08 p.m.
There’s something in the water at Hyundai. I dig it.
MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
11/20/19 8:18 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
There’s something in the water at Hyundai. I dig it.

I dug it so hard, there is now one in the driveway

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
11/20/19 8:54 p.m.

How much longer do we have to wait for Hyundai to start developing a Miata fighter?

The N-cars are really good, the stinger and g70, and now this mid-engined test bed.  It's all very good.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
11/20/19 8:57 p.m.
Nitroracer said:

i mean they had the gen coupe.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
11/21/19 12:21 a.m.

Until it makes sense?? Don't hold your breath...

Dootz
Dootz Reader
11/21/19 5:35 a.m.

In reply to Nitroracer :

I was so disappointed when I found out this was just an April Fool's joke by Hyundai. Would be perfect with their 1.6T + DCT combo:

kevinatfms
kevinatfms Reader
11/21/19 6:51 a.m.
NickD said:

There are spy photos of a wingless version from a few years ago trotting around the nurburgring and the town around it. They have been testing a mid engine car for years. I think this is just a look at what they have accomplished over that time since the press keeps speculating that its definitely going to happen.

BA5
BA5 Reader
11/21/19 6:57 a.m.

That it's all braced up with just a bunch of structural steel (C channel and that WF in the back) speaks very deeply to me.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
11/21/19 6:58 a.m.

So, the big question for the rest of the class: Would you rock it?

I'd be happy to test it for 5000miles and some track laps the week before Mother's Day, starting/finishing in South Bend.  devil

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/21/19 7:07 a.m.

That would be a fun toy. I would drive one.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
11/21/19 7:53 a.m.

R&T says: A Hyundai insider with knowledge of the RM19 project confirmed to Road & Track a toned-down version of this car is heading for production.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/21/19 7:59 a.m.

The regular Veloster N already sounds rowdy, so the production version better sound downright evil.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast Reader
11/21/19 8:14 a.m.
Snrub said:

Holy christ. If that is the case and they can keep it just under ~$40K, I will have one. If it has a manual of course.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/21/19 9:09 a.m.

The more I look at the pics and the more I think about the more I think this thing is awesome. The idea that it may end up as production car is intriguing.

759NRNG

Dave M said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Two words: stick shift

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/21/19 10:22 a.m.

If it were to go into production, it seems they would have to make the frunk a usable storage space since it looks like the entire hatch is now the engine compartment. I suppose there may be a little room for cargo where the back seating area was, at least room for a few small things behind the seats in front of the firewall.

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
11/21/19 10:24 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Good point!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/21/19 10:27 a.m.

This would be tasty.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
11/21/19 12:19 p.m.

With Ford, GM, and BMyota losing their edge and desire in the car nut market.....  I find myself all of the sudden interested in Hyundai.  Wow, how the world changes.

iansane
iansane New Reader
11/21/19 12:47 p.m.
Snrub said:

To me, "toned down" means 100hp less and putting the engine back in the factory location. Let's hope not.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/21/19 12:50 p.m.
T.J. said:

Why? Why not leave it as completely impractical like the R5 Turbo? Make it nuts, something that doesn't make any sense but gets people excited about Hyundai. It's never going to a high volume seller.

As for the C8 competition, I don't see it. You don't cross-shop a gold-chain 'Vette with a hot hatch with a hand grenade turbo four where the groceries are supposed to go.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/21/19 12:52 p.m.
iansane said:
Snrub said:

They already sell that car.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast Reader
11/21/19 12:53 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

Right? 2019 is very very confusing.

iansane said:
Snrub said:

They already have that in the form of the Veloster N haha. Albert B. said he already wants to make it happen, so we'll probably see a detuned, 2 seat, mid-engine variant.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
11/21/19 1:04 p.m.

Sounds to me like they want to make a hybrid or electric sports car and this is a step along the road in that direction.

Whatever it’s purpose, I think it’s pretty darn cool, and it’s good to see Hyundai letting their engineers play.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/21/19 1:21 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I just want a frunk or some other storage so it would be something I'd actually consider buying. I bought my miata over an MR-s because of the trunk. Other than storage space, I liked the MR-s more.

If I was going to have a road car that I couldn't use for errands (like going to the grocery store or driving to the airport with luggage) I would buy that WCM Ultralite for sale.

captdownshift
captdownshift UltimaDork
11/21/19 6:30 p.m.

In reply to goingnowherefast :

$42k is the rumor I've heard...

captdownshift
captdownshift UltimaDork
11/21/19 6:50 p.m.

this is promising...

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
11/21/19 7:02 p.m.

Please have them include the hardware to run a utility trailer to bring the extra set of track rims/tires and a box for the tools/jack.

Please.  I promise to not drive much over 55 when I'm pulling the trailer.

Really.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/21/19 7:47 p.m.

I was a diehard Datsun/Nissan guy then fell in love with my manual tranny Honda Accord.  I said I would buy the 510 if they made it.

Wife owned GM cars for 38 years and loves her 2018 Honda Pilot and was blown away by the service my Accord gave us. 16 year old daughter loves her 210,000 mile 2009 Civic.

Honda? Nissan? I can see myself headed over to Hyundai for this type of car and never looking back.

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
11/21/19 7:51 p.m.
captdownshift said:

In reply to goingnowherefast :

$42k is the rumor I've heard...

If true, amazing!

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
11/21/19 11:34 p.m.

seems like the Corvette may have killed it already.

I did see a headline about the number of C7s still on the lot due to the coming C8.

I still think the next Camaro if there is one should be mid-engined too. enlightened

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
11/22/19 9:31 a.m.

So it looks like this is a 2 door, with both sides the same as the 2020 Driver's side :(

The rear hatch is tiny, which makes me wonder how bad engine access would be.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/22/19 10:13 a.m.

Better than a Boxter :) Or a classic Mini. Maybe you’d primarily access from underneath?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/22/19 11:36 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I was thinking you'd probably become pretty adept at dropping the rear subframe.

Don't old VW guys hold competitions with swapping motors on old bugs?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/22/19 1:08 p.m.

Just posting in this thread to bump this bit of potential awesomeness back above the 3 or 4 Tesla truck threads. Had to look at the pics on page 1 to restore my faith in automotive designers.

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
11/22/19 9:01 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

I'll see your Mustang GT350, GT500, Camaro ZL-1, Z28 and Corvette C8, and raise you a Hellcat anything.

The "locals" haven't lost their edge or desire. Things in the factory hipo world are way better than they ever were in the muscle-car days. They have just consolidated a bit on total models, which is a better thing in my experience.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
11/22/19 9:30 p.m.

I was just telling some friends that I would sell my Porsche Boxster S for this if it actually comes out as a street car with a stick.

I did not say that about the C8.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
11/23/19 8:53 a.m.

Randy Pobst's driving impressions sound really positive. It sounds like the real deal. If they're really going to do this, part of me wonders if you're going to make a mid-engined car, why have it look like your front engined car? If the answer is cost, it might be acceptable. There's have been very few sort of large-small mid-engined cars. Many of course have the footprint of a mid-size, with the interior space and storage of a very small car.

msterbeau
msterbeau New Reader
11/23/19 9:32 p.m.

350hp. $45k. Manual gearbox. 2-door mid-engined coupe/hatch. If it's all that and attractive I'm in. Hopefully that arrives just as I'm paying off my R-Spec. :-)

OpusthePoet
OpusthePoet New Reader
11/24/19 11:10 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

It does appear to have at least some lockable storage under what used to be the hood, but I don't know how much. It really depends on how deep they make that box behind the radiator ducting.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
12/2/19 9:38 a.m.

looks like driving impressions are starting to come out...

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast Reader
12/2/19 11:29 a.m.
Gingerbeardman said:
AnthonyGS said:

Every single one of those cars is over 3,600 lbs (some WAY over) and MSRP at greater than $50K. The locals absolutely have lost their edge in the realm of affordable, lightweight performance cars. Now all the sudden, Hyundai announces they are going to start making an affordable performance car line for car people, that are all track capable (warrantied for such use too) and put fun as a higher priority then lap times. That's why we should be really excited about the N group now, and in the future.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/2/19 3:16 p.m.
goingnowherefast said:

This, right here. Every single youtube comparo with that car against it's competition comes down to the same final comment: It's not the fastest but it's the most fun/One I would buy.

_
_ Dork
12/2/19 4:46 p.m.

Who the guy working for Hyundai now that used to work for bmw? $20 says he has a hand in this. You want brand excitement? Make a race car the blue collars can own.

ive been saying this for years... "if you build a car the enthusiasts want, they will talk your brand up when all the no-nothings go to the family "car guy" for advice. I've done it for Honda and Toyota for years."

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/2/19 9:19 p.m.

Anyone know the actual rules for TCR cars? If they sold a production mid engined Veloster, could they run this as a TCR car? Or do they have to be FWD? [EDIT: https://www.tcr-series.com/homologated-cars looks like all the TCR cars are FWD, even the Subaru STI, so I'm guessing FWD is a requirement.]

That video just made me like this car more than I already did.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/3/19 7:31 a.m.
goingnowherefast said:   Now all the sudden, Hyundai announces they are going to start making an affordable performance car line for car people, that are all track capable (warrantied for such use too) and put fun as a higher priority then lap times. That's why we should be really excited about the N group now, and in the future.

I didn't see anywhere that said the N model cars have a track warranty?

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
12/3/19 9:19 a.m.
goingnowherefast said:
Gingerbeardman said:
AnthonyGS said:

They haven't abandoned affordable performance at all.

The Camaro 4cyl 1LE starts @ $31k. It's 3400 lbs and does 0-60 in 5.1sec and 13.8 in the 1/4.

The Ecoboost Mustang Performance Pack starts @ $33k. It's 3500 lbs and does 0-60 in 4.7sec and 13.4 in the 1/4.

Both have the brakes and coolers to lap comfortably for long periods of time. They have far cleaner emissions, and far safer designs, and far more comfort/features than their lighter predecessors.

I know that we all complain about the weight gain of these models over the years, but it's not slowing them down at all. They're heavier because they're full of all the stuff that makes them better. And they're still just as fast or faster around a track and down a drag strip.

This Hyundai sounds like it has potential, and more options are always welcome, but there's some stiff competition in the $30-40k performance car bracket (assuming the Hyundai gets the price that low).

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/3/19 9:35 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Counterpoint: the 400HP/400TQ 3700 lb GTO was $31k in 2005 and did 13.0/108 stock, and had IRS and GM's best interior.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
12/3/19 10:14 a.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to STM317 :

You're making my point for me. We're less than a month from 2005 being 15 years ago (?!). $31k back then is equivalent to over $41k now, which comfortably gets you into a current Camaro SS or Mustang GT. Both of them have over 450hp, while being cleaner and safer than the GTO. They're both low 12 second cars in the 1/4,, and pretty well annihilate it on a road course stock for stock.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast Reader
12/3/19 11:15 a.m.
z31maniac said:

I didn't see anywhere that said the N model cars have a track warranty?

slowbird
slowbird Dork
12/3/19 11:38 a.m.

In reply to goingnowherefast :

That is actually pretty awesome. Good job, Hyundai.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/3/19 11:58 a.m.
goingnowherefast said:
z31maniac said:

I didn't see anywhere that said the N model cars have a track warranty?

WHOA! Thank's for sharing that.

That makes the Veloster N w/performance package MUCH more appealing. Although, I've never driven a FWD car on track.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast Reader
12/3/19 12:03 p.m.
z31maniac said:

WHOA! Thank's for sharing that.

slowbird said:

In reply to goingnowherefast :

That is actually pretty awesome. Good job, Hyundai.

It's funny too that they say specifically that they don't care about popular bolt-ons as long as they don't cause a direct issue. That is pretty damn rare (maybe never) where a company explicitly states they are good with a few bolt on parts.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/3/19 12:29 p.m.

In reply to goingnowherefast :

True. But without a tune, none of those things are really going to add power.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/3/19 1:32 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Concurrentpoint? Sorry, I was trying to help and used the wrong word lol. You got my drift though.

Any more word on the MR Veloster N?!?

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
12/3/19 3:48 p.m.

That's huge, Hyundai has explicitly stipulated the kinds of modifications which are allowed under warranty and those that aren't. The explicitly permitted track warranty is even bigger. It's a 10 year, 100k mile warranty for the core powertrain components. These cars might be running in Champcar/Lemons/Lucky Dog by that point! Even for the non-core engine components it's 5-years 60k miles. In some places more stuff is covered under 7 year, 70k mile.

Regarding the weight comments: As much as I absolutely cannot endorse the car, the I4 Camaros start in the 3300lbs range. In this day and age, that's reasonably light.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/3/19 10:47 p.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to STM317 :

Any more word on the MR Veloster N?!?

If I were a betting man, from some other articles I've read, I wouldn't put my own money on it coming to fruition.

Especially not at $40k with a manual gearbox. IIRC, they are already developing their own 8-spd DCT.

QtDxlw997excobtzbJv2nvR217rbZiU4J2kwnmSNenj4En1ZhltCLtsnsWQSRfB6