Mopar “Hellephant” 426 HEMI Crate Engine To Have 1000 Horsepower

Photos Courtesy Fiat Chrysler Automobiles

Mopar wowed attendees at this week’s SEMA show by announcing the Hellephant 426 Supercharged Mopar Crate HEMI Engine and Kit, a 1000-horsepower beast loosely based on the Hellcat engine. (The “Hellephant” moniker is a nod to the original Mopar 426 Hemi, which was nicknamed “elephant” thanks to its prodigious power and size.)

At SEMA, the slick 1968 Dodge “Super Charger” Concept was used to showcase the full engine package, which will be available in early 2019.

Here’s what you need to know:

This new all-aluminum engine will offer 1,000 horsepower and 950 lb.-ft. of torque from the factory, with nearly plug-and-play installation thanks to accessory kits designed for pre-1976 and off-road vehicles.

The Engine Kit supplies an unlocked Powertrain Control Module and all accessories, wiring harnesses, etc. needed to extract full performance from the engine once it is installed in the vehicle.

An optional Front End Accessory Drive Kit includes an alternator, power steering pump, and belts/pulleys to make everything function as it should.

All of these options are reminiscent of the “Hellcrate” engine kit revealed at last year’s show, but with an even higher power level available.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Chrysler and Dodge news.
Comments
GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
10/31/18 1:02 p.m.

Why.

I'm legit asking. How many new levels are needed? How many new engine combinations, Challenger types and subdivisions, and boxes to check do we need? How many SCAT packs and monikers? It's one thing to be pushing your technology and engineering to new heights; it's another when your company has no stability and your prime seller is running a body and chassis nearly 10 years old.

I love to death that Dodge is smashing OEM numbers and expectations, but I hate how it's a one-upping game only with themselves. At this point, I just look at this and go 'eh'.

NickD
NickD UberDork
10/31/18 1:06 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

This isn't going into an OEM application. This is an aftermarket crate motor.

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
10/31/18 1:36 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

why put coilovers on?

why put sticky tires on?

why put lighter wheels on?

why put a turbo on?

why reduce weight?

why add aero?

why do an engine swap?

because sometimes its just fun to do hoodrat stuff with your friends.

glueguy

NordicSaab Dork
10/31/18 2:12 p.m.

MSRP?

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/31/18 2:12 p.m.

" Well, huh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Man, firecrackers, ya stick 'em in mailboxes, you drop 'em in toilets, shove 'em up bullfrogs asses. "

-Joe Dirt

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
10/31/18 2:18 p.m.
glueguy said:

That will fix a Prowler.

2800lb's with 1000HP. Yeath that would do it. Thought there are a few hellcat prowlers running around now so its not so far fetched.

Also MOPAR while you are still high on cocaine build a 2nd gen Prowler for me.

Image result for hellcat prowler

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
10/31/18 2:26 p.m.

Mastodon would have been a much better name.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/31/18 2:41 p.m.

While I don't share GIRTHQUAKES dislike of the craziness, I will say I have driven a few high HP cars on the street, for me, it does get a little old after awhile.

I want the car to hook up and go, I don't care about doing rolling burnouts at triple-digit speeds.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
10/31/18 2:56 p.m.

Phew! For a minute there I thought they might be doing something crazy, like introducing a new car design. Good to see Dodge is sticking with its tried-and-true "just make more horsepower available and keep making decade-old car designs." 'Murica!

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
10/31/18 3:05 p.m.

I wouldn't kick it out of my garage.

_
_ Reader
10/31/18 3:38 p.m.

What kinda warranty on that?

Cooter
Cooter Dork
10/31/18 3:41 p.m.

I'm just trying to figure how to get the FMV low enough for a recoup...

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
10/31/18 3:57 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I didn't read the whole thread, and hope I'm not the first to reply thusly:

Seriously, I do see your point, but on a planet we're rapidly killing, which in turn kills us, ...maybe I'd better shut up before I go political/dark.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
10/31/18 4:02 p.m.

In reply to _ : What kinda warranty on that?

10 years, 100,000 Miles, 3 burnouts, or 5 drags races whichever comes first.

_
_ Reader
10/31/18 4:59 p.m.

Kind of seems like the drag races should be more and the burnouts should be less, but that’s one hell of a warranty!

honestly, if they don’t specify how long a burnout is, with 1000 hp, I could make a burn out last a lifetime

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
10/31/18 5:37 p.m.

I, for one, welcome our new 1000HP crate motor overloads.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist Reader
10/31/18 5:51 p.m.

How much does it weigh?

MrSmokey
MrSmokey New Reader
10/31/18 6:00 p.m.

Are they selling any performance upgrades for this thing?laugh

_
_ Reader
10/31/18 6:14 p.m.

Somebody should do a really fast Dodge for the next challenge, and call it the Heffalump

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/31/18 6:53 p.m.

Who wants to go back to the times when the fastest Mustang had like 245 hp? Not me.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
10/31/18 8:00 p.m.

Why is that guy in the middle up there?  I was on board till they included him in the photos there.....

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
10/31/18 8:25 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I didn't read the whole thread, and hope I'm not the first to reply thusly:

...he typed, piously, from his electronic device made from materials mined by young Congolese slaves and assembled by an eight-year-old Chinese girl sitting on a cardboard box earning $.30/day.

TRoglodyte

_ said:

A neon, perhaps?

Indoobitably, most appropriate

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
11/1/18 9:01 a.m.

Am I the only one who feels the cool announcement was ruined by including that complete butt hole from Graveyard Cars?  His cars are amazing, no doubt, but he is the meanest, rudest, most condescending a-hole there is.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/1/18 9:11 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

I really don't even know who he is, so it makes zero difference to me.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/1/18 10:21 a.m.

Some of the best choices I have made in life are really bad ones.

Wonder if it would fit? Not like I would need a gearbox.

Pete

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
11/1/18 10:29 a.m.
Cooter said:

In reply to pinchvalve :

I really don't even know who he is, so it makes zero difference to me.

Pedantic Mopar guy that agonizes about over spray locations, wax pen markings, and thread locker color... and he happens to have a TV show.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/1/18 10:35 a.m.

To anyone questioning the existence of this engine, there are Toyota Camry forums that are happy to talk about beige.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/1/18 10:39 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

I’m stunned. And I’m being serious here. That is all an act (and he makes sure to make it more than obvious) for the show. I ask without judgement nor condescension: have you ever watched the show?

This post from another site sums it up, although I’m not calling anyone dumb:

“Doesn't anyone get it?? He is just hamming it up for the show! Nobody on the show is offended, and they all make jokes/ remarks back at him! C'mon, you can't be that dumb...I personally think he's funny and like the show.”

He’s playing for the camera but he’s not even just acting, he’s purposefully being a clown the entire time.

Duane from American Hot Rod was a real shiny happy person for example. But this guy is goofing around with this act.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
11/1/18 12:00 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

Yeah that guy is super annoying, can't watch the show he is on.  Maybe they staple his mouth shut it would be tolerable.

If it is all just an act, why act like a jerk, always.  I confess I have not watched much, but I have never seen him be close to amusing.

Awfully large heads on that motor, too wide for a lot of engine bays, and I bet it is heavy.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
11/1/18 12:12 p.m.

In reply to Toebra :

1000hp fixes a lot of heavy.

TopNoodles
TopNoodles New Reader
11/1/18 12:51 p.m.

12 year old me would be thrilled about this engine and that's enough to satisfy 27 year old me.

Time to get my pencils and college-ruled composition book and draw a Hellephant powered Kia Sedona.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/1/18 1:25 p.m.
NordicSaab said:
Cooter said:

In reply to pinchvalve :

I really don't even know who he is, so it makes zero difference to me.

Aside from the TV show, that could be an awful lot of MoPar guys.

And this is coming from a MoPar guy. But not one that really cares about numbers matching or brand superiority that much.  I grew up during a time when we "butchered" Challenger R/T Convertibles to go faster because they were just cars. Guess what? They still are.

(My $750 Challenger 318 "parts car" that I bought for unhacked door panels and a crack-free dash pad for my 440 car. I ended up tossing another mild 440, with 4.56s, Sure Grip, and a reverse manual valve body while keeping the column shift in this one because sleeper beater; people would hate me for what I did to this one, too, but they were meant to be driven)

Since I don't have cable, I will have to wait until he is on Netflix or Amazon to ignore him, though.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/1/18 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Toebra :

All aluminum block and heads. I doubt it is very heavy.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
11/1/18 2:09 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

In reply to Toebra :

1000hp fixes a lot of heavy.

QUOTABLE!

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
11/1/18 3:11 p.m.

You think they'd send me one if I just sent them a photo of my truck with "Pls" written on it in sharpie?

Toebra
Toebra Dork
11/1/18 5:20 p.m.

Think we can get Mopar to do a deal like Vredstein did on the tires so the M in Molvo will stand for Moparriffic?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
11/1/18 6:46 p.m.
NordicSaab said:
Cooter said:

In reply to pinchvalve :

I really don't even know who he is, so it makes zero difference to me.

Ask anyone in the restoration biz.

Mopar guys are weirdos, without exception.
They make the "rivet counting anorak" corvette guys seem normal.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
11/1/18 7:41 p.m.
Trans_Maro said:

Mopar guys are weirdos, without exception.

Am a weirdo, can confirm. Upside is most of us are the good kind of weirdos and not the numbers matching rectum stick kind.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
11/1/18 8:00 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:
pinchvalve said:

This post from another site sums it up, although I’m not calling anyone dumb:

Boyd  from American Hot Rod was a real shiny happy person for example. But this guy is goofing around with this act.

FTFY

...but maybe it was just an act, too.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/1/18 8:33 p.m.
Grizz said:
Trans_Maro said:

Mopar guys are weirdos, without exception.

As a bit of a closet Mopar guy myself, I feel like I've met more of the numbers matching rectum sticks than I'm ok with.

te72
te72 Reader
11/1/18 11:10 p.m.
z31maniac said:

To me, hearing of a 1000hp engine isn't all that weird, I've been hanging out with Supra guys for nearly 15 years now. A large portion of that time was spent admiring the drag racing efforts of that community back in the 00's. Maybe I'm a bit jaded, perhaps. However... this thing has a warranty... and runs on pump gas... and just listen to that throttle response.

Think it'll fit in a Miata? Hmm...

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
11/1/18 11:22 p.m.
SaltyDog said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Why not?

It's because of reports like this one, and so far what I've found for 2018 is that they still haven't come to any deals. My basic problem is that FCA here in the states seems to lean on cheap sales of Jeeps to fun side projects like this and expensive RAM trucks instead of updating their lineup or solving issues with poor reliability. Just makes me think of someone who wants to "go out with a bang", essentially.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
11/2/18 11:21 a.m.
Daylan C said:
Grizz said:
Trans_Maro said:

Mopar guys are weirdos, without exception.

I don't think there's very many chalkmark guys under the age of 50 regardless of marque.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/2/18 12:30 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

These "side projects" aren't losing any money. Nor are they losing money on Jeep or Ram sales.

Take a look at what Ford is doing with their previously robust automobile lineup and what GM is also looking to do before you complain about how FCA needs to put more money into new automobile product.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
11/2/18 1:41 p.m.

Let's look on the brightside - if Mopar isn't making a new car platform, then at least they can't make their new platform cars bigger and heavier...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
11/2/18 3:13 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

I'm not buying it, I have been around plenty of people who spend their day belittling others and blow it off by saying "hey man Im just kidding around". If he or anyone else thinks that a constant stream of insults, put-downs, nasty comments, calling people stupid and generally being a complete tool is funny or endearing, they are delusional. He treats his daughter like a dumb blonde and she is supposed to sit there and pretend it's OK because he is playing it up for the camera?  His DESIRE is to set a horrible example and act like a jerk, assuming that people will know it's not for real?  What about people who tune in for only a short while and don't spend time to research what this guy is like in "real" life.  Why would you want to leave that impression?  If the answer is because people find that kind of behavior entertaining, then he is also contributing to the downward spiral of mankind. He is a bag of douche.  His cars however, are outstanding in terms of authenticity...if you are into that sort of thing.

Bmerchant
Bmerchant New Reader
11/2/18 9:02 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

omg

Bmerchant
Bmerchant New Reader
11/2/18 9:02 p.m.

omg

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/2/18 9:27 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

Ok, you’re obviously free to interpret his actions any way you feel is correct. I’m just suggesting it’s all a purposely over-the-top joke and the person you believe you see doesn’t exist.

RLTY3VDXDHs3tDL2qNuVNNiRtQUqaFV3Co0POaPsMI2NVu7VoyRqPUOGMVJKG0jV