Rate It: Rally-Spec Civic Honda Type R

Ever think that the newest Honda Civic Type R would make a great rally car? The folks at Ralph Hosier Engineering thought so when they built this one-off, off-road Type R for Honda UK.

Said to take "huge influence from Rally Raid, Overland and Safari models from the world of rally and adventure holidaying," this Civic retains the production engine and gearbox, but has the addition of 3 inches of ride height and beefier BFGoodrich off-road tires.

Even though this Type R was built as a one-off concept, Ralph Hosier Engineering has said that it would comfortable building more examples for "discerning customers."

Like what you're reading? We rely on your financial support. For as little as $3, you can support Grassroots Motorsports by becoming a Patron today. 

Become a Patron!

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Civic, Honda, Rate It and type R news.
Comments
View comments on the GRM forums
shane86
shane86 New Reader
8/17/20 12:25 p.m.

3 pix...? I need MOAR.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/17/20 12:48 p.m.
shane86 said:

3 pix...? I need MOAR.

 

 

 

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/17/20 1:09 p.m.

where are the other 2 lug nuts? also, only 18s? good luck finding actual rally tires for non tarmac. Seems like a gimmick more than anything but still looks GREAT. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/17/20 3:09 p.m.
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) said:

where are the other 2 lug nuts? also, only 18s? good luck finding actual rally tires for non tarmac. Seems like a gimmick more than anything but still looks GREAT. 

Also missing this one other minor detail called a roll cage...  

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/17/20 3:53 p.m.

First picture appears to show a cage. This looks like an interesting idea; the main questions are what class it would run in and whether it would be competative there.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
8/17/20 4:03 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) said:

where are the other 2 lug nuts? also, only 18s? good luck finding actual rally tires for non tarmac. Seems like a gimmick more than anything but still looks GREAT. 

Also missing this one other minor detail called a roll cage...  

If you look hard enough there is some tubing in there. I'm guessing it's likely just a harness bar. 

Seems like a cool concept that isn't quite completed yet. 

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
8/17/20 5:21 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

 

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) said:

where are the other 2 lug nuts? also, only 18s? good luck finding actual rally tires for non tarmac. Seems like a gimmick more than anything but still looks GREAT. 

Also missing this one other minor detail called a roll cage...  

Lug nuts and the roll cage are the least of their problems. Good luck without any axles.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/17/20 5:37 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

First picture appears to show a cage. This looks like an interesting idea; the main questions are what class it would run in and whether it would be competative there.

Looks like a basic bolt-in 4-point bar with a single diagonal, at best.  So, the same thing every Civic Si "tuner" has been installing for 20 years :)

As to classing, I would imagine it would run in Open (or equivalent) with the STis, Evos, etc....I'm sure someone will do it at some point.

 

On a related note, here's what an actual "rally spec" Civic looks like (404 not found: jacked suspension, big all-terrains, etc)

Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (ARA)

 

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/17/20 5:43 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) said:

where are the other 2 lug nuts? also, only 18s? good luck finding actual rally tires for non tarmac. Seems like a gimmick more than anything but still looks GREAT. 

Also missing this one other minor detail called a roll cage...  

its just a rollbar? I didn't check the link...

 

bah - well the Jag did this not too long ago and was same "concept"

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/17/20 6:25 p.m.

Yeah, I mean it's no different from the "Baja" Porsches......it's like a style look these days where the fake versions are more "rally look" than actual rally cars lol. 

Still makes me chuckle when I see the STi at work whose plate is "TRU RALY"......it appears to be a stock STi with street tires mounted on Braids, with Rally Armor flaps. Keep hoping to run into the guy to ask him what stage rallies he's run in it :D

All that said, give it a few years and I'm sure one of the many "privateer rallyists who have too much money" will build one just because they can afford to. Won't name any names, but I'm sure you know of a few of the teams I'm talking about that just throw money at their rally cars and still are behind you, and hanging with me in the mid-pack :)

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/17/20 6:31 p.m.

Kev, also did you notice....that harness is a TRS latch-and-lock (not homologated, for show only). I didn't realize anyone still made those things any more with camlock being so much better....I'm guessing it's a 4-point (https://www.trs-motorsport.com/nascar-4-point-superlite-harness.html) since else they'd have to somehow cut a hole in the Type R seat (no way they'd do that...) to pass through the sub straps.....

Rons
Rons Reader
8/17/20 9:06 p.m.

Remember this Honda was done by a British firm. The car could well run in "brisk" TSD rallies. As for classing? There is multiple Championships in Britain and we would probably E36 M3 ourselves over the shortness of tows.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/20 7:31 a.m.

An actual oversized Honda rally car:

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/20 7:43 a.m.
EvanB (Forum Supporter) said:

An actual oversized Honda rally car:

And don't forget the undersized Honda rally cars that were at that rally....the Fit and the CR-z :)

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/18/20 12:11 p.m.

damn them and their air conditioning! I was mad jealous at SOFR last year with that beast. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
8/18/20 2:29 p.m.

The gatekeeping is strong in this thread. I 100% would drive this and jump it off of any curbs I found.

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/18/20 2:39 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

good luck with your 3/5ths lug nuts

 

but honestly If I was at work and had to prepare something like this to get taken professional photos and I gave it to them so half assed done like this they (and the customer) would be pissed. 

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
8/18/20 3:01 p.m.

I'm liking the WTF turn this has taken. Calling something a real rally car when it isn't chaps my ass like a wet saddle. Yes, you can do all the tribute stuff you like. Just don't call it a rally car!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/18/20 3:42 p.m.
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) said:

where are the other 2 lug nuts? also, only 18s? good luck finding actual rally tires for non tarmac. Seems like a gimmick more than anything but still looks GREAT. 

Step 1 for rally, I'd think, would be removing the turbo and throwing it away.  Or fitting a thumb sized restrictor.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/20 3:46 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) :

It's a UK car - it's usually easier to find smaller tire sizes in Europe than over here.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
8/18/20 4:28 p.m.

It's like you guys can't read past the title:

From the body: Said to take "huge influence from Rally Raid, Overland and Safari models from the world of rally and adventure holidaying,"

 

It's a rally inspired long travel civic, they themselves call it an "off-road special" and appear to be having great fun in spite of the fact everyone here is sure they're posers and that the car had already exploded in a ball of fire and missing lug nuts.

https://m.facebook.com/rhel.co.uk/posts/10156579713488250

It looks to me like they built this one for someone and the internet lifted information from Facebook/Instagram posts and played telephone like usual.

 

Also also:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_rally

 

Grumble, grumble, grumble

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/20 4:46 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) :

It's a UK car - it's usually easier to find smaller tire sizes in Europe than over here.

Most of us over here buy our rally tires direct from Ireland lol. that said these days there are several US distributors of most of the most popular brands. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/20 4:48 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

It's like you guys can't read past the title:

From the body: Said to take "huge influence from Rally Raid, Overland and Safari models from the world of rally and adventure holidaying,"

 

It's a rally inspired long travel civic, they themselves call it an "off-road special" and appear to be having great fun in spite of the fact everyone here is sure they're posers and it had already exploded in a ball of fire.

https://m.facebook.com/rhel.co.uk/posts/10156579713488250

It looks to me like they built this one for someone and the internet lifted information from Facebook/Instagram posts and played telephone like usual.

 

Also also:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_rally

 

Grumble, grumble, grumble

I mean.... This is the internet. Would this be a more fun thread if every post just said "whoah that is super duper awesome" over and over? 

I mean if that is what you are looking for there is probably a thread that reads like that over on Honda-tecg forums where everyone is a fanboi.

We all read the article and are well aware this is not an actual Honda rally car effort......that doesn't mean we cannot have discussion about the pros and cons of what they are showing And what WOULD make it into an actual rally car, which would probably be very awesome.

 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/20 4:52 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

The gatekeeping is strong in this thread. I 100% would drive this and jump it off of any curbs I found.

the ironic part that every one of the actual rally drivers in this thread commenting could probably add up the expenses of their rally cars together and it would STILL be less than whatever this customer spent...

We are all simply jealous that somebody can throw so much money into a car and not have it actually be a rally car, since none of us can do that lol

 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
8/18/20 4:53 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Right, but the entire "discussion" is centered around the title of the thread that has nothing to do with the car. It's not rally enough, etc. Well of course the car built for "adventure holidaying" doesn't have a full roll cage and isn't spec'd for stage rally. I'll post a picture of a fish next and we can discuss how bad of a chicken it makes.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/18/20 4:54 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

That depends on if the fish is being marketed as fried chicken.

 

 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
8/18/20 4:58 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Are you implying that Ralph Hosier Engineering called it a rally car? Because I'm not seeing that anywhere on their pages, just the title made by grm.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
8/18/20 5:20 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
accordionfolder said:

The gatekeeping is strong in this thread. I 100% would drive this and jump it off of any curbs I found.

the ironic part< ... snip ... > the actual rally drivers in this thread  < ... snip ... >

Irony: Exhibit A.

Sorry, not sorry. I'm feeling fiesty tonight. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/20 5:26 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Are you implying that Ralph Hosier Engineering called it a rally car? Because I'm not seeing that anywhere on their pages, just the title made by grm.

The title of this thread is RATE IT: Rally-spec Civic. Since the owner of the car and the shop are probably not on here we are obviously replying to GRM itself. We are not posting on the company's Facebook page. We are simply rating it as requested.

If this was a GRM forum member's build thread we would obviously be making different commentary. 

but let's throw out the rally car stuff and let me just rate this as an adventure holiday vehicle whatever that means: So, you have a car that still has pretty much no off-road ability beyond driving down the same dirt road any car can drive down, it has big tires, so it will have more traction than stock tires if it gets into some sand or mud. That is assuming that the factory Honda traction control doesn't go batE36 M3 crazy trying to deal with that kind of surface (which would be an interesting discussion in its own right)., Itll be uncomfortable as hell off road because it has hard race seats in it, and has very little practicality in terms of carrying much of your adventure gear, especially because it has a roll bar crammed in it preventing use of the back seats. Then when it tries to go on any kind of green 4*4 trail it will most likely put a hole in that low-mounted intercooler. Really, it's  just a fast Civic with big tires on it. Which is fine if that is what the owner wanted, more power to him. There are certainly a lot of people out there who build cars for looks or for style or for other factors.  But let's not pretend this is anything other than a particularly mall crawler.... And any adventure it goes on is going to be something that pretty much any stock CR-V or Rav4 could do far better. 

 

---

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/20 5:30 p.m.
accordionfolder said:
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
accordionfolder said:

The gatekeeping is strong in this thread. I 100% would drive this and jump it off of any curbs I found.

the ironic part< ... snip ... > the actual rally drivers in this thread  < ... snip ... >

Irony: Exhibit A.

Sorry, not sorry. I'm feeling fiesty tonight. 

What is the irony of that? I mean nobody in here is a WRC driver, but there are certainly several commentators in this thread who drive in competition stage rally and or are heavily involved with it.

And feel feisty all you want. I'm just bored and have no interest in car projects to do so I'm sitting online stirring the pot :)

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
8/18/20 5:34 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Muy excelente! Carry on. 

I would love that thing. In the same way I'd love a lifted, boosted miata. I'm definitely not spending my money on it, but it's super cool to look at it and has a bunch of neat features if you go through the detail pictures on their facebook page I linked.
 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/18/20 5:35 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

One of my favorite current sandwiches to enjoy is.2 beyond burgers with a meatless "chicken" patty in the middle. I call it the McDryhump.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
8/18/20 5:36 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
accordionfolder said:
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
accordionfolder said:

The gatekeeping is strong in this thread. I 100% would drive this and jump it off of any curbs I found.

the ironic part< ... snip ... > the actual rally drivers in this thread  < ... snip ... >

Irony: Exhibit A.

Sorry, not sorry. I'm feeling fiesty tonight. 

What is the irony of that? I mean nobody in here is a WRC driver, but there are certainly several commentators in this thread who drive in competition stage rally and or are heavily involved with it.

And feel feisty all you want. I'm just bored and have no interest in car projects to do so I'm sitting online stirring the pot :)

This rabbit hole was started, seemingly, by my gate keeping comment. Of which you doubled down on by defining what you considered a "real rally driver" - that's text book gate keeping and tasty irony in a tidy package. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
8/18/20 5:39 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I love beyond burgers presently as a person trying to be meat-light, but still a great lover of meat. That sound fantastic and has a great name to boot. I'm giving that a go.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/20 5:43 p.m.
accordionfolder said:
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
accordionfolder said:
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
accordionfolder said:

The gatekeeping is strong in this thread. I 100% would drive this and jump it off of any curbs I found.

the ironic part< ... snip ... > the actual rally drivers in this thread  < ... snip ... >

Irony: Exhibit A.

Sorry, not sorry. I'm feeling fiesty tonight. 

What is the irony of that? I mean nobody in here is a WRC driver, but there are certainly several commentators in this thread who drive in competition stage rally and or are heavily involved with it.

And feel feisty all you want. I'm just bored and have no interest in car projects to do so I'm sitting online stirring the pot :)

This rabbit hole was started, seemingly, by my gate keeping comment. Of which you doubled down on by defining what you considered a "real rally driver" - that's text book

gate keeping.dId.k.dd

I Disagree. For instance I know almost nothing about over landing and off-roading (like 4*4 stuff). So while I was building my Raider, I basically was spending a lot of time listening to guys who actually do that kind of stuff and And tell me what I need to do. but not to the Jeep dudes who buy $10,000 worth of accessories and cruise around the suburbs on their 36s that have never seen mud. 

before I started doing rally I will fully admit that I had a huge misperception of what it actually was, And probably tried to lend "rally" advice to friends of mine but at the time was probably complete b******* that I'd read on the internet or something. 

but anybody who knows me will tell you that one of my top goals had been to get other people into the sport, by helping them not make mistakes that I made and not saying stupid things that I said. 

I see gatekeeping is the opposite  - when people hoo do something are trying to keep other people from doing it in order to maintain their special status or whatever.

My comments about rally drivers in this thread was only indicating that a lot of people who do not do it may not be familiar with the actual rules and equipment, since the internet has basically made half the populace think that a stock WRX can just go right out on the stages  but point taken about phrasing it that way.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/20 5:44 p.m.

Also apologies for the terrible grammar and spelling. Between my fat fingers on the phone and it's autocorrect, I sound like a third grader...

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/20 5:48 p.m.

I am surprised you did not call me out on the title of my Raider build thread though, since it does use the word rally in it, while it is not an actual competition vehicle. :D

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
8/18/20 5:48 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

No opinions on what you do in real life my guy - just made my statements based on what you've said in this thread. Even your follow up "review" of the civic.

Alas, it's time for me to make dinner. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/20 5:55 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

No opinions on what you do in real life my guy - just made my statements based on what you've said in this thread. Even your follow up "review" of the civic.

Alas, it's time for me to make dinner. 

Fair enough lol. I actually think I got you confused with accord96(?) Who has been following my rally build thread for years and commenting there, so I may have absentmindedly thought you were him and that you knew where I was coming from! 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
8/18/20 5:55 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

Also apologies for the terrible grammar and spelling. Between my fat fingers on the phone and it's autocorrect, I sound like a third grader...

I can't post from my phone on GRM anymore - it destroys my messages even when I'm careful anymore.....

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/20 6:01 p.m.
accordionfolder said:
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

Also apologies for the terrible grammar and spelling. Between my fat fingers on the phone and it's autocorrect, I sound like a third grader...

I can't post from my phone on GRM anymore - it destroys my messages even when I'm careful anymore.....

There is definitely something funky with the forums software because if you try to fix a word you mistyped It seems to add in other multiple words that are unrelated for some unknown reason. I thought it was just my phone screwing with me but happy that someone else has the same problem!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/18/20 6:13 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

the phone and it's autocorrect

I have to use an iPad at work.  Its dictionary does not believe in the word "its".

 

It also likes to turn "and" into "Andy" for some reason.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/18/20 6:17 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
accordionfolder said:
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

Also apologies for the terrible grammar and spelling. Between my fat fingers on the phone and it's autocorrect, I sound like a third grader...

I can't post from my phone on GRM anymore - it destroys my messages even when I'm careful anymore.....

There is definitely something funky with the forums software because if you try to fix a word you mistyped It seems to add in other multiple words that are unrelated for some unknown reason. I thought it was just my phone screwing with me but happy that someone else has the same problem!

Oh yeah, I had that problem bigtime on my Android device.  I had turned off autocorrect and word suggestions, because I am a man who can make his own mistakes without computer assistance.  However, this did not completely neuter HAL.  The word suggestion BAR was removed but they still EXISTED, and sometimes when going back through and editing, it would enter the suggested words.  I had to turn dictionary checking completely off, which was slightly annoying because 42 year old brain does not remember spelling as well as 12 year old brain did.  Although my cars and bike are a whole lot more awesome, so suck it 12 year old me!

 

jb229
jb229 New Reader
8/19/20 12:50 a.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
EvanB (Forum Supporter) said:

An actual oversized Honda rally car:

And don't forget the undersized Honda rally cars that were at that rally....the Fit and the CR-z :)

Wasn't Rally America selling kits for Fits that would let you homologate a production model for their entry level front-wheel drive class a few years ago?

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/19/20 9:17 a.m.
accordionfolder said:
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
accordionfolder said:

The gatekeeping is strong in this thread. I 100% would drive this and jump it off of any curbs I found.

the ironic part< ... snip ... > the actual rally drivers in this thread  < ... snip ... >

Irony: Exhibit A.

Sorry, not sorry. I'm feeling fiesty tonight. 

we all are.. 

 

:(

Our Preferred Partners
BSqqcNNWeEMNl4CSgxG9yszwBgpsp90YTsrHswvNECzt0goKD1ezoeRWetSwwFZQ