Subaru Finally Gives the BRZ an STI Badge

What have people been begging for ever since the launch of the BRZ? An STI version. The Subaru factory tuning shop has been long known for their WRX rally-born monsters.

Subaru Tecnica International (STI) today announced the release of the Subaru BRZ tS. It’ll go on sale on June 30, but unfortunately, only in Japan. And the production run is limited to 300 cars. However, we still can’t help but get excited. Who knows, maybe it’ll make its way to the U.S. in the future. The tuned coupe makes 200 horsepower, but its main focus is handling. An STI-tuned suspension and Brembo brakes sound like excellent improvements. Please make more and send them over here, Subaru.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Subaru news.
Comments
View comments on the GRM forums
Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
6/30/15 2:36 p.m.

Doesn't the normal BRZ make 200hp?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/30/15 2:41 p.m.

So... not really an STi badge but an tS badge. Basically coilovers and brakes maybe some more tire/wheel. Meh... keep it there until it has 300HP to go with the extra stop/turn then send it over.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
6/30/15 2:42 p.m.

So basically it's a BRZ with probably SPT and STI suspension parts. Much like the Mugen Civic SI. Nothing of note IMO.

I was hoping they would put the TRD supercharger in and not sell it for $15000 more.

However with suspension and brembos this should be on the top trim BRZ as it is for almost ANY performance car.

I feel like the Abarth 124 is going to give us what we wanted from this car from the beginning. And actually sell it in the United States. Basically Nissan already sold the car that this was supposed to be, just not in the US, as the S15 Silvia.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
6/30/15 3:34 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: So... not really an STi badge but an tS badge. Basically coilovers and brakes maybe some more tire/wheel. Meh... keep it there until it has 300HP to go with the extra stop/turn then send it over.

^^^This. STi = Turbo/300 hp.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/30/15 4:14 p.m.

I was going to post how the fanbois will be up in arms because "STi no turbo bra, no 300 horsepower, bra." It looks like they did it for me.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/30/15 4:26 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: I was going to post how the fanbois will be up in arms because "STi no turbo bra, no 300 horsepower, bra." It looks like they did it for me.

No fanboi here - I would just do my own brake/coilover/wheel package. Everyone does this anyway for anything going to the track more than a handful of times (even if it was an Evo or STi). But give me something I CAN'T do to it myself and maintain a warranty for the premium model, eh? Like atleast give it the same power as the Outback R Limited (256HP/247TQ). It's parts bin stuff for them. Otherwise - why bother?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
6/30/15 4:34 p.m.

That not going to do anything to fix whats wrong with the Twins, which is the enthusiast market.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/30/15 5:02 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

I don't think there is anything wrong with them now... but slap a badge on something that has same power and I'm still buying the base car.

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
6/30/15 5:10 p.m.

So what do you guys think is holding Subaru back? It seems such a no-brainer to boost the damn thing!

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
6/30/15 5:22 p.m.

No idea, there are multiple Forced induction kits for the car that bring it anywhere from 250whp to 330whp and maintain reliability on the street and the track.

You can make 280whp on the stock fuel pump and injectors!

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
6/30/15 5:24 p.m.

Or drop in an advanced version of the engine already in it! How hard would that be?!?!? Cams and compression. Tuning. Bam. 50hp

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/30/15 6:20 p.m.
Kreb wrote: So what do you guys think is holding Subaru back? It seems such a no-brainer to boost the damn thing!

how many BRZs have been inadvertently backed into things at a high rate of speed?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
6/30/15 6:38 p.m.

From what I can tell, Toyota and Subaru as still holding their breath on the engines making it past warranty and not ruining the show. The DI is not without issues and there have been some fires due to injector seals. Even if they don't go up in flames, failed injector seals seems to equal dead engine.

The word on the street is that boosted engines don't live long and are not without issues. Cant see the factory wanting to push this engine platform. The fact that they have not tells me that they know something that I don't.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
6/30/15 7:12 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: Or drop in an advanced version of the engine already in it! How hard would that be?!?!? Cams and compression. Tuning. Bam. 50hp

it is already something like 14 to 1...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/30/15 8:00 p.m.

Adding big brakes and coilovers usually voids warranties.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/30/15 8:03 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Adding big brakes and coilovers usually voids warranties.

Not on the engine/trans/diff. Just on the suspension and brakes.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/30/15 8:07 p.m.

But I imagine people want those things AND warranties - BAM STi.

But I agree, an STi should be something special.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/30/15 8:13 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Kreb wrote: So what do you guys think is holding Subaru back? It seems such a no-brainer to boost the damn thing!

how many BRZs have been inadvertently backed into things at a high rate of speed?

I had a student take me for a ride into a concrete barrier backwards at about 80 in one. It was a hard stop. Totally his fault. It was catch-able - he just didn't pause long enough. His video probably had me saying something like "not yet, not... berkeley! Both feet in! BANG/CRASH/SCRAPE/BANG Ow... my liver. berkeley, OW, berkeley... you OK?". It ruined my semi-new $450 helmet. Totaled the car.

But just because he was punching above his weight class in the rain does not mean the rest of us should suffer. Do I really have to buy a Mustang to get hoon powers!?

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
6/30/15 8:34 p.m.

I thought that many of the enthusiasts complained because it didn't have 250-300 hp. Maybe even the potential customers that just wanted a cool car.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
6/30/15 8:43 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: I was going to post how the fanbois will be up in arms because "STi no turbo bra, no 300 horsepower, bra." It looks like they did it for me.

Kind of an insulting statement friend. I am no fanbois either. Would you want a ZR1 with the base Corvette motor or a Shelby with the standard 5.0. Probably not I think. I have had 5 Subarus including STis and currently have a 2015 WRX. A STi is something special and the motor should reflect that.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
6/30/15 9:15 p.m.

I don't see anything wrong with the twins except the price tag. There are plenty of cars just as fun for a few grand less. I even considered trading in my STI for a BR-Z but could you believe the Subaru dealers are the ones giving me the worst trade in value?

I would rather see this car be competitively priced with it's competition (Si, ST cars, Miata, etc). I was getting my STI serviced the other day (free service you cant beat) and was looking at BR-Zs again and still can't believe they sticker for 27-29k....For that price yes it should have some more HP because you can walk 100 yards away to the WRX and get 68 more ponies.

They also depreciate worse than any other boxer powered car on the market.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
6/30/15 9:31 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
Trackmouse wrote: Or drop in an advanced version of the engine already in it! How hard would that be?!?!? Cams and compression. Tuning. Bam. 50hp

it is already something like 14 to 1...

12.5:1

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/30/15 9:37 p.m.

Look up the new STI Forester and tell me STI still means what it used to. I swear when they capitalized the i things started to go wrong.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
7/1/15 12:22 a.m.

I think y'all are overlooking the fact the tS has Recaro Sportster CS seats, which would be reason enough to get a tS ($6k in the 2 seats right there because of the airbags...and totally blow away the stock seat in comfort and putting you IN the seat - the stocks still sit you ON the seat...and too high as well). I'm actually current fabbing up mounting for a Recaro Sportster CS going in as the new drivers seat for my FR-S (really disliked the stock seat ergonomics from day one, just finally have the means to purchase the Recaro recently and correct one of the worst things about the FR-S...)

Some may cry at the no power increase/no boost in an 'STi' model. Honestly, if it were available only as a boosted Subaru motor I would never have gone with it to begin with. I already have misgivings about a Subaru motor being forced in the car to begin with...don't make it worse by adding boost to the car. Should have had a high revving NA I4 Toyota motor to begin with... but that's for a different thread. When the FA20 in my FR-S blows (it's a when, not an if proposition in this car...but hopefully at least get 100k out of the motor) it's going to be a toss up of what to replace it with...an F20C from an AP2 S2000 would be what I think is ideal for the chassis as a daily driver, but then I really like the Vorshlag LS conversion prospect as well... Why would I want to burden this chassis with yet a different Subaru powerplant...give me a 2.0L+ Toyota or Honda I4 or an LS V8 motor!

So yah...Subaru keep the motor unboosted - but please work on making it more robust/reliable as a daily driver. Fix the way too low oil pressure and coil-pack failures from heat related issues...

P.S. Did you know the coil packs are a frequent consumable on this car? If you track the car with regularly it will be a yearly replacement expense - at least it's only ~$100 a coil pack...if you just daily drive you should be able to go 3 years between coil packs. My coil pack 1 started going at 2 years of just daily driving with 1 single track day 1 month after I first got the car. The low oil pressure and coil pack issues are for all year models...there has been no solution yet from Subaru/Toyota, even though there have been 3 revisions of the coil packs. The engine bay just runs too dang hot...need to get heat out of the engine bay! But no matter, lets add a turbo into the situation...oh wait, that's why no Turbo!

A turbo motor would be nothing but a nightmare to deal with considering Subaru/Toyota still can't figure out how to deal with the heat issue from just the normally aspirated motor it seems. Engine bay heat issue is why I will be taking some radical action to reduce under-hood temp... opening up fenders to act as vents, heat absorptive and reflective materials where needed, additional heat shielding, forced air ducting, etc... Oil temps get to the 220-230F range for my daily drive to/from work.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
7/1/15 3:20 a.m.

And the official 'Sti' announcement was already made 2 years ago...because the tS has been sold in Japan for a while now...there's already people in the US that have converted to all tS suspension/chassis upgrades as well.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44673

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
7/1/15 12:24 p.m.
Vracer111 wrote: I think y'all are overlooking the fact the tS has Recaro Sportster CS seats, which would be reason enough to get a tS ($6k in the 2 seats right there because of the airbags...and totally blow away the stock seat in comfort and putting you IN the seat - the stocks still sit you ON the seat...and too high as well). I'm actually current fabbing up mounting for a Recaro Sportster CS going in as the new drivers seat for my FR-S (really disliked the stock seat ergonomics from day one, just finally have the means to purchase the Recaro recently and correct one of the worst things about the FR-S...) Some may cry at the no power increase/no boost in an 'STi' model. Honestly, if it were available only as a boosted Subaru motor I would never have gone with it to begin with. I already have misgivings about a Subaru motor being forced in the car to begin with...don't make it worse by adding boost to the car. Should have had a high revving NA I4 Toyota motor to begin with... but that's for a different thread. When the FA20 in my FR-S blows (it's a when, not an if proposition in this car...but hopefully at least get 100k out of the motor) it's going to be a toss up of what to replace it with...an F20C from an AP2 S2000 would be what I think is ideal for the chassis as a daily driver, but then I really like the Vorshlag LS conversion prospect as well... Why would I want to burden this chassis with yet a different Subaru powerplant...give me a 2.0L+ Toyota or Honda I4 or an LS V8 motor! So yah...Subaru keep the motor unboosted - but please work on making it more robust/reliable as a daily driver. Fix the way too low oil pressure and coil-pack failures from heat related issues... P.S. Did you know the coil packs are a frequent consumable on this car? If you track the car with regularly it will be a yearly replacement expense - at least it's only ~$100 a coil pack...if you just daily drive you should be able to go 3 years between coil packs. My coil pack 1 started going at 2 years of just daily driving with 1 single track day 1 month after I first got the car. The low oil pressure and coil pack issues are for all year models...there has been no solution yet from Subaru/Toyota, even though there have been 3 revisions of the coil packs. The engine bay just runs too dang hot...need to get heat out of the engine bay! But no matter, lets add a turbo into the situation...oh wait, that's why no Turbo! A turbo motor would be nothing but a nightmare to deal with considering Subaru/Toyota still can't figure out how to deal with the heat issue from just the normally aspirated motor it seems. Engine bay heat issue is why I will be taking some radical action to reduce under-hood temp... opening up fenders to act as vents, heat absorptive and reflective materials where needed, additional heat shielding, forced air ducting, etc... Oil temps get to the 220-230F range for my daily drive to/from work.

DI seals were fixed 2 MY ago. People put heat shielding around the No. 1 coil.

This sounds like the "OMG ALL MODERN GERMAN CARS DIE EVERY WEEK AND COST MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO FIX!"

kanaric
kanaric Dork
7/1/15 2:09 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: That not going to do anything to fix whats wrong with the Twins, which is the enthusiast market.

The customer is always right in the case of demand. If the customer is choosing not to buy it then the car is what's wrong. It's not catering to the needs and wants of the said enthusiasts.

Enthusiasts wanted a new AE86 (this car but a few hundred pounds lighter) or a Silvia S15 (this car but with a turbocharged engine). They got neither.

z31maniac wrote: No idea, there are multiple Forced induction kits for the car that bring it anywhere from 250whp to 330whp and maintain reliability on the street and the track. You can make 280whp on the stock fuel pump and injectors!

I am unwilling to do that kind of work to a new car. However I AM willing to do that kind of work to an old cheap car like a Miata or to buy a car already done up like that fully covered by warranty and guaranteed by the manufacturer.

The amount of people that want to do what you said is tiny. The people unwilling to do the work and some of those who are willing instead went out and bought 370z, Mustang GT, or older cars like the S2000.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
7/1/15 3:09 p.m.
kanaric wrote: The amount of people that want to do what you said is tiny. The people unwilling to do the work and some of those who are willing instead went out and bought 370z, Mustang GT, or older cars like the S2000.

Good for you, but to say the amount of people who want to do that is tiny? That's laughable.

There are literally thousands and thousands of guys with the Twins running an FI setup.

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
7/1/15 5:47 p.m.

It's Miata/RX8 all over again. Certain manufacturers just don't see the return on big HP versions of their cars. I totally disagree, since so much development work goes into a platform, why not have two versions to appeal to two customer profiles? I know that there's a good chance that the cars won't pan out on a direct ROI basis, but there's also something to be said for a Halo car that everyone's still talking about for years. If the current H4 can't reliably handle the boost, put the STI motor in there.

I've long wondered why Kia/Hyundai or similar emerging company never played the crazy HP card just for the publicity and cred with enthusiasts. Now that they're comfortably established, they don't need the notoriety that a turbocharged V8 would give the Genesis. Or alternately, a 250 HP turbo 4 in a microcompact.

meisterschutze
meisterschutze New Reader
7/2/15 12:19 p.m.

Here's some fuel for the fire...

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/This-is-Subarus-450bhp-BRZ-STI-2015-04-01

kanaric
kanaric Dork
7/2/15 1:05 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
kanaric wrote: The amount of people that want to do what you said is tiny. The people unwilling to do the work and some of those who are willing instead went out and bought 370z, Mustang GT, or older cars like the S2000.

Good for you, but to say the amount of people who want to do that is tiny? That's laughable.

There are literally thousands and thousands of guys with the Twins running an FI setup.

I would need proof of this. You are literally claiming that most of this cars sales have forced induction now when I have only seen one done up with a supercharger kit out of "thousands and thousands" of them that i've seen at meets and events.

How many people even at this website that own a FRS have done it? And this is a serious enthusiasts site. Of which MOST FRS buyers are NOT

Until otherwise I will remain thinking it's a tiny amount, like it is for every other car of this type at this age. Tiny is a very reasonable claim "thousands and thousands" which can imply as much as 1/3 of it's sales is not. I would be surprised if it was even 10% of the cars right now.

You must be thinking of 240SXs.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/4/15 7:25 p.m.

H6 please.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 Reader
7/4/15 8:56 p.m.
kanaric wrote: Enthusiasts wanted a new AE86 (this car but a few hundred pounds lighter) or a Silvia S15 (this car but with a turbocharged engine). They got neither.

Having owned AE86's for a long time, and having a bought an FR-S, I disagree slightly. I don't think you could get much closer to a modern AE86 in today's market with today's safety/power/mileage standards and expectations. The twins have 75% more power than an AE86, 55% more torque, 15% more weight, and 16% more section width to the tires. Given that it has a similar character, similar fun factor, similar seating/interior space to an AE86 coupe and that it is a bit wider and a tiny bit lower, but about the same length within a couple inches, I think they did a damn good job.

I bought one and love it, which seems like a common sentiment among owners. Others have passed on the twins and have their doubts, which means that Toyota and Subaru missed a chunk of the enthusiast market. To each his own, but I am not sure how much more of a modern AE86 could be made.

meisterschutze
meisterschutze New Reader
7/12/15 6:49 p.m.

To be honest, I could care less. Car is too small for me comfortably. Just wanted to see if I could spark something.

I do love watching you guy's go at it, though.

Our Preferred Partners
igU78FnLUPnEJO2Vhsm8hiFLpRB0tu2ehJAcKzwcYWcioatJowXrEQSQqxSD4zwU