Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE!: The New Veloster N

Live from Thunderhill Raceway, this show we will be taking an in-depth look at the Veloster N, the newest high performance offering from Hyundai. We already like the Hyundai Veloster Turbo R-Spec—in fact, it received praise from all on staff who had the chance to get behind the wheel. We’re pretty excited to see what happens when the wick’s turned up with the Veloster N, and you should be, too.

Join us for Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! presented by CRC Industries Thursday October 25th at 9 p.m. Eastern on GRM’s Facebook Page or catch the upload a little later on our YouTube Channel.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Hyundai news.
Comments
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/24/18 3:19 p.m.

DUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!!1!!!1!!!!1ONE!!!!!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/24/18 3:59 p.m.

Hmmmm.....strange that bobzilla would be enthused by this one!  :)

I'm actually as eager as you guys to hear what JG has to say.  I really, really liked the Turbo R---- I'm hoping this is even better.   I have to admit though, even if the N is spectacular,  I'll still think the R model is a heck of a buy at $22K.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
10/24/18 4:25 p.m.

I agree, I was super impressed by the Turbo R and the value is almost unsurpassed.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/24/18 5:05 p.m.

I think they actually look good as modern cars go.

Miles Wilson
Miles Wilson Reader Services
10/24/18 5:53 p.m.

I agree with everyone so far, which is rare.

Then again that’s exactly what happened with the R so I’m also not surprised!

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/24/18 8:43 p.m.

Technically we won't be live from Thunderhill, but rather a Holiday Inn in the central valley of California or some such hellhole I've reserved for myself. We did get some Thunderhill track time today, though, and had some good chats with Hyundai brass. Long story short, the car is the real deal. Tune in tomorrow night and we'll chat about it and I'l bust out some video.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
10/24/18 9:19 p.m.

Now that's red!  I like it.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
10/24/18 9:24 p.m.

I'm so unreasonably excited for this car.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms New Reader
10/25/18 6:45 a.m.

Cannot wait to hear about this thing. Thinking it might be the replacement for my Fiesta ST.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/25/18 7:05 a.m.

I planning my day so my evening is free for this.

My regional manager is coming in and we might grab dinner so I might have to throw down a reason why I have to leave early.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast New Reader
10/25/18 7:55 a.m.

YES CANT WAIT.

Please ask pricing and color options!

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
10/25/18 8:05 a.m.

3 years ago I would have been equally enthused.  However, after living with AWD for 2+ years, I'll never go back to FWD.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast Reader
10/25/18 8:57 a.m.
jstein77 said:

Really depends what kind of driving and racing you're doing. I'm personally sick of the super heavy and understeery nature of the current AWD cars available: Golf R, STI, WRX, S3, RS etc.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
10/25/18 9:08 a.m.

An enjoyable review - the host talks a lot with Albert Biermann. Excited to see GRM segment tonight.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
10/25/18 9:17 a.m.

In reply to goingnowherefast :

Please don't include my RS in that group of AWD cars.  It really doesn't handle like that at all, hence its performance advantage over all those others.  In addition, the latest Sti's have improved a lot over earlier versions.  Here's proof - the FTD-winning vehicle at last Sunday's DeLand autocross was a completely factory-stock RS identical to mine.  You also might notice that an Sti took fifth overall:

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast Reader
10/25/18 9:37 a.m.
jstein77 said:

In reply to goingnowherefast :

No offense, but I just don't think you can base a car's performance off a small showing local autocross. Hence why people don't do that.

As for my experience in one, I have 3x track days in an RS and I think I have instructed maybe 5-6 students with them. Truly I am tired of having RDU shutdown issues that lead to even more understeer conditions. 235 tires and not wide enough for a almost 3,500 pound car with nearly 60% of the weight up front. Of the group mentioned, I actually like the newest STI the most. Most of the bad habits are dialed out easily with camber and a large rear sway bar. In addition, considering you can get a Mustang GT or Honda CTR for the same price that will run laps around the RS when stock, even more so when modded (CTR can fit 285's up front with no modifications), yeah I just don't understand the RS. Great roadcar, not good track car. Just my opinion, don't take it too seriously.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/25/18 9:40 a.m.

JG, I'm sure you guys sent my invitation in the mail. We'll just blame the post office for losing it.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
10/25/18 9:43 a.m.

I think we can all agree the off-throttle popping is a great thing. A Hyundai that's main purpose is to be fun and approachable on track - super cool. Maybe this can counterbalance Ford's exit from that space.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/25/18 10:26 a.m.

Ind regards to the traction/stability control: "off means off. All the way off." I like it.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/25/18 11:04 a.m.
accordionfolder said:

The popping and burbling thing is totally a gimmick that provides no beneficial purpose EXCEPT FOR BEING AWESOME!!!!!!!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/25/18 11:08 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Wait, I estimated I’ve spent 750+ nights on the road for work mainly at HI Express’ and I’m going watch you at a Holiday Inn?

You do know the soap, hand lotion, and cinnamon breakfast rolls all smell the same.  They have a theme going at HI Express.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast Reader
10/25/18 11:29 a.m.

KBB just confirmed it will be <30k with the performance package.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlmpFtkde6M

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/25/18 11:36 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
accordionfolder said:

yep. And I love it. The Forte with the header/cat/cat-back would burble nicely on decel. I really miss that noise.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/25/18 11:50 a.m.

I want it to have cool seats. Not just comfortable supportive seats, but cool ones that aren't just black/grey.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
10/25/18 11:58 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
accordionfolder said:

When my RS does it, it makes me feel like a dumbass kid again, but its also nice to be able to put it in "old man" mode and just cruise.  Modern cars can be damned cool sometimes.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
10/25/18 12:00 p.m.

I really, really, really want to drive one.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
10/25/18 12:03 p.m.
Stefan said:
JG Pasterjak said:
accordionfolder said:

I know I'm a total dork, but I really enjoyed that a lot on the RS test drive. I would most certainly do the "burble plus" option if I bought one and had it tuned.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/25/18 12:11 p.m.

It's funny I'm not THAT surprised by the Koreans coming in and making something this awesome because I've been a fanboi for years. But it's fun to watch people that haven't been a fanboi getting excited over something awesome from them. I get to sit back and go "see, I told you."

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
10/25/18 1:18 p.m.

This is the first Korean car that I'm interested in. Pretty big change for both Kia and Hyundai to be making cars we GRMers are interested in. Could I say that even 5 years ago?

That said, I drive a Mazda with Ford badges built by Kia. A Ford Festiva that I love! So I guess I'm not as hard of a sell as some. :)

harlard
harlard
10/25/18 3:51 p.m.

I just want it to be an Elantra hatch and get the Veloster nonsense out of the way.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
10/25/18 5:45 p.m.

In reply to harlard :

I get that, but the 200 pound weight savings over the Elantra hatch goes a long way in my book.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/25/18 7:24 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
JG Pasterjak said:

Update. It's a Mariott Courtyard. Lotion is fine, though.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
10/25/18 7:52 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Is it in a basket?

On the bathroom countertop next to the sink of course.

10/25/18 7:53 p.m.

And we're going live in about seven minutes.

10/25/18 8:04 p.m.

And we're live.

10/25/18 8:08 p.m.

And tonight we're just live on Facebook. Later on you can watch it via tape delay on YouTube.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
10/25/18 9:36 p.m.

And now I'm just hitting refresh on Hyundai's sight waiting for the configurator to go live. Sounds like the chassis is better than the outgoing Focus ST, with more toys than the GTI (and more power) at a significantly lower price point the the Civic R. That's a winning recipe. (Now if they would only offer a trim level similar to what Ford did with the ST-R which was the factory available, caged, body in white).

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast Reader
10/26/18 7:21 a.m.
captdownshift said:

Me too. Please post here when the configuration tool is up!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/26/18 8:29 a.m.

I was so sick last night or I would have been online watching this live. Watching the youtube recap now. LOVE the interview.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/26/18 8:59 a.m.

You know, I was putting Sonata rotors and Tiburon calipers on my Elantra back in '04. Parts bin engineering.

accordionfolder