Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE!: TIG Welding for Amateurs

Is it time to add a TIG welder to your shop? Are TIG Welders magic? Are you skilled enough to wield that magic?

We wonder that, too, so we went and bought a TIG welder in order to find out. Tonight’s edition of GRM Live! Presented by CRC Industries will be less a discussion of TIG welding tips and practices, and more of an analysis of how suitable TIG is for the novice or hobbyist. There will also likely be second- or third-degree burns.

Join us live at 9pm eastern on the Grassroots Motorsports Facebook Page and YouTube Channel

Join Free Join our community to easily find more news.
Comments
stafford1500
stafford1500 HalfDork
11/7/18 11:35 a.m.

Make sure you have an auto-darkening lens for the camera. I hate watching welding videos when all you can see is the arc flare blinding the camera.

I hear lots of caffiene before a welding session helps too...

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/7/18 3:25 p.m.
stafford1500 said:

I hear lots of caffiene before a welding session helps too...

SteveO

We do have an auto-darkener for the camera. His name is Chris and he was instructed to wear long sleeves because TIG puts out a lot of UV.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/7/18 3:48 p.m.

Woohoo!  I’m really looking forward to this. I haven’t welded in 20 yrs or so and I’m thinking about getting a small welder.  I think I’m going to need it for my current auto project.

te72
te72 Reader
11/7/18 10:22 p.m.

I want a TIG setup, but new tools take away racing budget... I don't do a whole lot of fabrication for cars, but man... that might change if I had a TIG welder. Definitely a chicken or egg situation for me!

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/7/18 10:40 p.m.
te72 said:

I mean, I watched a few YouTube videos and pretty much made functional welds with five minutes of practice. By my second bottle of gas I expect things will look fairly good. I see reaching for this a lot more than the MIG welder, actually. It works much more in tuned with my skill set than MIG does. I thought the pedal would be a distraction, but it really makes the process fairly intuitive.

Kreb
Kreb UberDork
11/8/18 4:43 p.m.
fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
11/8/18 4:47 p.m.

Practice

Practice

Practice

have fun y'all

te72
te72 Reader
11/8/18 10:10 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

I think I would be in the same boat, having seen the process a LOT via youtube (check out MichaelCthulu if you're into sword making), and I think the biggest plus in my book about TIG? It takes longer, because you can control the heat better than with MIG.

I can make functional welds with my MIG setup, but intricate and / or pretty, they are not. Call me a bit of a perfectionist, but I like parts that look like they were well made, especially when they're hand-fabricated.

MPldTWIhhBIBX1SlIh0aWcQwUfXREbvkRgKUZRRSTMOmOwEYQjaWSlSGh01PB3PL