Treading on Thick Ice

Photo by Gabriella Willey

How do you improve your car control in the racing off season? Ever thought about trying ice racing? The Adirondack Motor Enthusiast Club‘s 2017 ice racing season starts this weekend, and their two-day race weekend in Lake George, New York, is scheduled for February 18 and 19.

How much driving time do you get? They run three 20-minute races for each class every single race day.

So what car would you take ice racing?

Read all the latest amateur motorsports stories in your mailbox eight times a year. Subscribe to Grassroots Motorsports now.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more news.

Comments

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
1/11/17 9:29 a.m.

I'd prefer it to be "on Lake George" rather than "in Lake George".

iceracer PowerDork
1/11/17 10:07 a.m.

You can be ON and IN Lake George at the same time.

iceracer PowerDork
1/11/17 10:11 a.m.

I was going to announce the start of our season but now I don't have to.

Location: Lake Algonquin in Wells NY. Easy drive up NYS Rte. 30 north.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
1/11/17 10:48 a.m.
Driven5 wrote: I'd prefer it to be "on Lake George" rather than "in Lake George".

Haha. Let me clarify: Lake George is a town.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
1/11/17 12:13 p.m.

I'd love to see how my AWD 325 hp Yukon XL Denali would do.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
1/11/17 12:18 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: I'd love to see how my AWD 325 hp Yukon XL Denali would do. It's been years since I've driven on frozen lakes. It's more fun than you can imagine.

IIRC, they don't allow any kind of trucks / SUVs Otherwise, I would have taken the Jeep out there by now...

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
1/11/17 12:30 p.m.

In reply to rslifkin:

We have a great (huge) pond that used to (hmmmm, it's been years since we had ice thick enough) that was so much fun.

I was in a 4x2 5spd Ranger and had friends in 4x4's. a plow made an enormous track to "race" on. It was HOURS of great fun.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
1/11/17 1:50 p.m.

Man I wish we had frozen lakes out here. Then again, we have some crazy snow right now, and therefore, after ten pm, my roads are a snowcross.

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
1/11/17 2:23 p.m.

AMEC is very fortunate geographically I think. They seem to get the ice almost 3-4 weeks before us, and we are only 2-3 hours away....east and maybe a little north. I think the lakes themselves are in a sweet spot, and the one we use is just too large. Our smaller lakes are either too well populated and too popular with other recreation, or they have some springs that make thick ice a lot less common. Mike, how long has AMEC been doing the ice races as a group(either as AMEC or something else)?

LanEvo
LanEvo Reader
1/11/17 3:13 p.m.

W2W or time trials format?

iceracer PowerDork
1/11/17 5:27 p.m.

We just completed our 50th year. Meaning we started in 1965. Boy, things were different back then.

1/11/17 5:28 p.m.

wheel to wheel. check out some of our videos.

www.icerace.com

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
1/11/17 6:23 p.m.

What are the chances a rental car would be allowed to run.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
1/11/17 8:08 p.m.

Ahhh, now I'm searching for another NX2000. Are there any left?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/12/17 9:24 a.m.

I'm hoping to take this car to a few AMEC events this winter.

Miata Wintercrosser

1/12/17 10:07 a.m.

In reply to NordicSaab: Sure, as long as it has the proper tires and you have a legal helmet. Odds of it having the tires is slim. NO all-season tires are allowed.

1/12/17 5:25 p.m.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/12/17 6:21 p.m.
iceracer wrote: There have been some questions about running with non complying studded tires. We have the "20-20". Twenty minutes on track for $20.oo. Track day rules apply. This is during our lunch break. Other than Street Legal all others require a roll bar or cage.

So a convertible can run in Street Legal without a roll bar?

Ross413
Ross413 Reader
1/12/17 7:01 p.m.

So, Crown Vic with snow tires would be good to go for 2wd street legal? Might just come up for the 20/20...

Thanks Ross

nymalo
nymalo New Reader
1/13/17 10:46 a.m.

Ross, IF they are true snow tires, you will be fine. Bring your helmet.

1/13/17 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Woody: Yes

car39
car39 HalfDork
1/13/17 3:36 p.m.

Good people to play with. I did an autocross with them a couple of years back, had a blast.

Hi Dave!

1/13/17 5:15 p.m.

CONFIRMED : We are racing on Sunday the 15th. 12/15 inches of ice and no snow reported by the ice checkers It will be a pylon/cone race until a small berm gets built up. Hitting a cone is a stop and go penalty.

nymalo
nymalo New Reader
1/13/17 5:52 p.m.

If you never have been to a AMEC ice race, this video a great overview. Very Grassroots.

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
1/14/17 3:36 a.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham: We race here in Minnesota on the hard water but working on your car in 40 below windchill takes a special sort of masochism

1/16/17 10:03 a.m.

Perfect day for ice racing. Smooth ice, very smooth. No snow, temperatures in the mid 20's. Abundant sunshine and a full field of enthusiastic ice racers. They could even have a hot lunch served if they ordered at registration.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
1/16/17 5:47 p.m.

Jealous,we're still 2 weeks from our 1st weekend.

Latest planned start in my 20+ yrs

1/16/17 6:04 p.m.

Last year we only got two weekends in. The last one as pretty sloppy.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
1/16/17 6:07 p.m.

Whoa,2 weekends isn't worth the effort I put in for car prep.

The worst season we ever had was 4 weekends,normally 6 as scheduled isn't much of a problem.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/16/17 7:27 p.m.

In reply to iceracer:

I was hoping that you would give us an update today!

I had to work yesterday and my car wasn't quite ready anyway but I'm hoping to make it to the next event.

Do you have any photos or a link to video of yesterday's race?

1/17/17 10:58 a.m.

Perfect weather, very slick ice, race studded cars chewed up the ice for some traction. Getting off the track resulted in a very l-o-n-g slide. Go to www.iceace.com and the message board. You may need to join or log in for the message board. Lots of pictures and videos. A great day was had by all.

nymalo
nymalo New Reader
1/18/17 10:55 a.m.

Track view from a drone.

nymalo
nymalo New Reader
1/18/17 10:58 a.m.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
1/18/17 4:04 p.m.

That's pretty much the exact track layout we've used for years,we run it each direction on the 2 days each weekend.

We have snowbanks to define it though.

1/19/17 10:53 a.m.

That is just one of the layouts we use on Algonquin. Often we short of follow the shoreline making many different turns. How about a right turn around a small island and then a sharp left turn around a point then down the lake. For this race, with the glass smooth ice we had to stay away from any natural obstacles.

1/20/17 6:26 p.m.

We are good to go this Sunday. Jan. 22.

Same location

1/21/17 6:13 p.m.

Race cancelled. Water on top of 14/15 inches of ice.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/21/17 6:59 p.m.

In reply to iceracer:

Thank you for the update. My car is ready, but I knew that it was in the mid 40s up there all day. I'm three and a half hours away and I was worried about wasting the trip up.

Fingers crossed for a cold snap!

1/22/17 1:37 p.m.

Out two day weekend at Tupper Lake also is iffy. It is supposed to get below freezing later in the week.

So maybe.

We might possibly be back at Algonquin.

1/25/17 10:13 a.m.

For more info: icerace.com

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
1/25/17 11:33 a.m.
iceracer wrote: Tupper looks good for this weekend. Confirmation on Friday afternoon after plowing. Just think, Pits on land. Heated rest rooms. McDonalds and others across the road. NAPA and others open on Sat. Party Saturday evening with food. More racing on Sunday. For more info: icerace.com

Sounds just like every event we have.

2/4/17 11:26 a.m.

Racing is on for this Sunday 2/5 at Wells on lake Algonquin.

18"of smooth ice, wide track with one foot snow banks.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
2/4/17 12:50 p.m.

Two things I miss after moving south from CT to NC - the food and ice racing. Spent a brief time on the ice racing 4 wheelers in the unstudded tire class. Now that was fun !!!!

2/6/17 1:46 p.m.

There are some great ice racing photos of Sundays race on the AMEC message board. icerace.com then click on message board.

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More