Veloster N, Now With More Dual-Clutch

Earlier today, Hyundai teased on Instagram that they will be adding their eight-speed, dual-clutch transmission as an option for the 2020 Veloster. As of yet, we haven’t heard when availability will start.

We reviewed the 2019 Veloster N not too long ago. The short story? We loved it. If you want the long story, we went in-depth with a Veloster over on YouTube.

What do you think? Would you be more likely to buy a Veloster N now that there will be an automatic option available? And will this help Hyundai sell more to the masses?

Like what you're reading? We rely on your financial support. For as little as $3, you can support Grassroots Motorsports by becoming a Patron today.

Become a Patron!

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Dual-Clutch Transmission, Hyundai Veloster N and Hyundai news.
Comments
MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
4/13/20 4:40 p.m.

I think it is a good idea, It makes it and the DSG in the GTI/R the only hot hatches with autos. The fiST/FoST are dead, so is the FoRS, the 500 abarth is dead, the only sporty hatch honda sells is the Type R, Subaru doesnt have a sporty hatch.

4/13/20 4:42 p.m.

Always nice to see development on a car aimed right at our people.

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/13/20 4:46 p.m.

Sweet. Now I want one even more.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
4/13/20 4:53 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

Sweet. Now I want one even more.

I am averaging an indicated 27 mpg over 8500 miles according to mine.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/13/20 5:24 p.m.
MrChaos said:
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

Sweet. Now I want one even more.

I am averaging an indicated 27 mpg over 8500 miles according to mine.

I'd stab someone with a plastic spork to get the v6 tib to get that good of fuel economy. And I'm doing it with almost half the power!

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
4/13/20 6:38 p.m.

This is relevant to my interests!  I bought mine four days ago.  I think a dual-clutch setup will be a good addition, but I can't imagine having anything but the manual.

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/13/20 6:50 p.m.

In reply to bluescooby :

That’s nice. I love the blue

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
4/13/20 6:58 p.m.

I had one for a week-long review last year and it was SO. DAMN. GOOD. Of the ~20 cars I got to experience, it and the ND2 Miata were tops. Forget the fact that it's FWD, the differential can put the power down with ease. It drives extremely well, sounds great, will give you a big ol' exhaust crack if you run 1st gear out to redline before shifting, and looks funky in a good sort of way.

More of my thoughts on YouTube and my website.

The DCT will make this car accessible to SO many people who can't or won't buy a manual transmission for whatever reason. I love a good DCT but the manual was a really good one with an easy clutch, so I'd probably still pick the three-pedal car if buying. Glad to see Hyundai working to keep cars like these around, and frankly, much of what they're putting out right now is just phenomenal. I had a Palisade Limited last month that was very impressive.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/13/20 7:17 p.m.
Colin Wood said:Earlier today, Hyundai teased on Instagram that they will be adding their eight-speed, dual-clutch transmission as an option for the 2020 Veloster N

I am suddenly interested in further developments.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
4/13/20 7:32 p.m.

I would like an orange color. or a color scheme like the rally cars. or an i20 N

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/13/20 9:08 p.m.

I read their Instagram handle as "Hyundai_n_word.". Oops.

Sweet that they're putting a DSG in it. Does that make it the most affordable car with one?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/13/20 9:11 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) :

Dunno.  Can you still get an Accord with the twin clutch trans?

That one drives so well I didn't realize it was twin clutch until I was looking up specs on it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/13/20 9:58 p.m.

Cool.  I hope its reliable.

Veloster forums are filled with complaints about the DCT in the 1.6 Turbo.  Also there was a class action lawsuit over that one.

4/14/20 7:58 a.m.

In reply to bluescooby :

It does look so good in the hero color. Congratulations.

_
_ Dork
4/14/20 10:12 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Cool.  I hope its reliable.

That's supposedly been addressed. Supposedly.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
4/14/20 10:31 a.m.
_ said:
ProDarwin said:

Cool.  I hope its reliable.

That's supposedly been addressed. Supposedly.

Is it a different transmission than the one in the 1.6T?

Also I see it as only boosting their sales as it opens the car to a broader market of people who don't know how to operate that third pedal. Or those that want a fun commuter that's easier to drive in traffic.  I still want to trade my Si in on one but I need to trim my fleet

OldGray320i (Forum Supporter)
OldGray320i (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/14/20 11:27 a.m.
Brake_L8 said:

More of my thoughts on YouTube and my website.

Dude, that's seriously high praise for a car.

I'm thinking about something new soon (probably not before the madness here ends), and it was going to be an ND or an 86 - but I will add to the list.

Of course, I might just pick up an old pick up, because GRM cheap,  but, if I go new I'll be driving one of these, too.

And the blue color scheme on these is the business.

Cactus
Cactus Reader
4/14/20 12:33 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

The manual ones have auto-revmatching. You pretty much don't need to know how to operate a clutch to drive one.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/14/20 12:58 p.m.

When I looked at a GTI, I wanted the DSG. As much as I love a manual, for a daily driven car that you might share with a SO, the DSG makes so much more sense. I find it hard not to hoon 100% of the time in my Fiesta ST because of the great manual box, a DSG would allow me to calm it down when needed.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/14/20 6:04 p.m.

I know it is highly subjective, but to my eye the GTI is a much better looking car than the Veloster.  That said, it sure seems like Hyundai is on top of its performance game these days.

Peabody here
Peabody here UltimaDork
4/14/20 6:11 p.m.

Are these not based on the Accent/Rio platform?

I would think that performance pkg in either of those (hatch) body styles, which I believe were available as 2dr's in other markets, would be significantly more attractive to most potential buyers.

I like little ugly hatchy cars, but I can't past the looks of these.

BluEvo210
BluEvo210 New Reader
4/15/20 1:47 p.m.

I wasn't looking for one less pedal in a Veloster.

I was hoping for the N drivetrain to come in something besides a Veloster.

...Like the i30/Elantra body they use everywhere else in the world.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/15/20 2:14 p.m.
BluEvo210 said:

I wasn't looking for one less pedal in a Veloster.

I was hoping for the N drivetrain to come in something besides a Veloster.

...Like the i30/Elantra body they use everywhere else in the world.

Forte Sedan would be pretty awesome.

brakeharder
brakeharder New Reader
4/15/20 11:03 p.m.

Is the DCT version likely to be priced significantly higher than the manual version? Looking for a street legal track day car and the paddleshift option should be slightly quicker around the track plus it opens up easier left foot braking possibilities. Have test driven the manual version Veloster N w/ the Performance Pack (on the street) and the car seemed to have excellent acceleration, brakes and handling during my short stint in the car. Add some some sticky tires, track pads, a roll bar, track seats with harnesses to either the DCT version or the manual version and I would be good to go. Another big plus is the warranty. Hyundai has a one page document that outlines the do's and dont's of mods. Basically, just do not alter ECU programming or stock turbo set up and you can "track" the car with no effects on the warranty.

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
4/15/20 11:46 p.m.

This is pretty cool. Still want to try the manual version.  Thought about this if the M3 does modern BMW failure things and I need a replacement.  Don't know how I feel about DCT in a slower car though.  Anyone rallycross a Veloster N?

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
4/16/20 6:31 a.m.

In reply to turtl631 :

way too new to rallycross one. i imagine they will be decent though. they are way too low fir the local regions location and the front bumper would be sacrificial.

jb229
jb229 New Reader
4/16/20 7:10 a.m.

I'm not sure I'd buy this over the three pedal version, but it'll help them sell a lot more of them in this day and age so I'm all for it.  This is my current most-desired new car (you know, within realistic limits) so anything that means the model won't get dropped anytime soon is good news.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) MegaDork
4/16/20 10:24 a.m.

Yay, more DCTs.

We need cars to get these if they're going to keep improving. Look how far regular auto transmissions have come.

Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter)
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/16/20 7:14 p.m.
OldGray320i (Forum Supporter) said:

Dude, that's seriously high praise for a car.

And the blue color scheme on these is the business.

It deserves all of the praise I and others can throw at it.

I had a ND2 Miata RF in December '19 and just gave back a Toyota 86 Hakone on Tuesday. Those two and the Veloster N are all seriously great to drive. I fit better in the 86 than the Miata (I'm tall and lots of torso) but I think I liked the Miata better, slightly. It's got better shift action vs. the 86. The V-N is fantastic and would be the best "only car" to own given the practicality.

One's a roadster, one's a hatch, one's a coupe. Two are RWD, one is FWD. All have limited-slip diffs and very-good-or-better manual gearboxes. Hyundai's infotainment bests the prior-gen Mazda system (still in Miata) and the setup in the 86. Hyundai had the best sound system of the three, followed by Miata. The 86's seats pushed my shoulders forward, Miata and Hyundai were more comfortable. No heated seats in the Hyundai although I think they are coming alongside the DCT.

I dunno, go drive them all. PM me if you want to chat more about all three!

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
4/17/20 6:20 p.m.

Oh and for anyone wondering I paid $27k for my 2020 N Performance Pack.

karussell
karussell New Reader
4/18/20 7:32 a.m.

Yesterday, Hyundai released official announcement in Korean about Veloster N DCT(https://news.hmgjournal.com/Tech/?p=162911).

There are some new features....

• Smartstream wet 8-speed DCT. When in manual mode, it does not shift up. I think this is the first time on Hyundai cars?
  • N Power Shift. Not only it simulates a manual transmission's 'feel', it also improves acceleration. 0-100km record is 0.5 seconds faster than Veloster N with manual transmission. It is only available on N mode.
  • N Grin Shift(NGS). When the driver pushes the NGS button, it gives maximum boost. At the same time, shift logic also changes to one optimized for acceleration. With premium fuel, overboost function is also activated. However, to protect powertrain, this function is not available for three minutes once activated.
  • N Track Sense Shift. If the onboard computer recognizes that the car is on a race track or a mountain pass, N Track Sense Shift is automatically activated. N Track Sense Shift helps drivers to only focus on the steering input and the corner. With this system, track records are nearly 1 second faster.
  • Infotainment system update. Screen size is the same(8 inches), but firmware is from 5th gen "wide screen" infotainment system.
ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/18/20 9:52 a.m.
karussell said:
  • Infotainment system update.

For the love of god fix the mute/pause button

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/18/20 11:47 a.m.

I like that the shifter manual gate is oriented correctly.

It's worrisome that "will not shift automatically when in manual mode" is somehow a feature.  That is as it should be.  Until they get forward looking radar to see that you're about to enter a corner and that upshifting would be a bad idea, this should be the way ALL manually shifted automatics should work.

Infotainment system is only interesting if the unit can be removed and a decent half-DIN stereo that uses actual buttons can be installed.  Flat screens are cheap, and require taking your eyes off the road to use, and they are hard to use on anything but billiard table smooth roads.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/18/20 11:55 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

The one in my car can be used almost entirely without touching it, except for a couple android auto things which... see my comment above yours.

E9rnAjL1V9pB9qQrGXtFHsBTYMSBZxnkW15G9O3b5G71qYZnLaPyPSb3UoVzdkTd