Live Coverage: $2018 Challenge

Want to follow all of the low-buck action from the $2018 Challenge without making the trip to Gainesville Raceway? We’ll be broadcasting live from the Challenge all day on Friday starting with the morning autocross. We’ll be live with all the action during recurring half-hour segments throughout the competition on Friday and Saturday, culminating in the awards banquet Saturday night. Tune in for the action on our Facebook page and YouTube channel.

You can also chat with other Challenge fans and see updates and photos from event staff on the Grassroots Motorsports forum.

Want to see live results? As long as the track’s internet holds out, we’ve got you covered there, too. Click here to view $2018 Challenge Live Timing.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more $2000 Challenge news.
Comments
RevRico
RevRico UberDork
10/10/18 11:08 a.m.

Awesome! This was great to watch last year, and with how your videos have grown over the year should be even better.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
10/10/18 11:16 a.m.

It's almost time for the Challenge! We're loading everything up now.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/10/18 12:10 p.m.

Your mom is probably happy i’m not coming to destroy more of her shiny cones

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/10/18 12:14 p.m.

I may have to have an office day on Friday so i can watch.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
10/10/18 3:58 p.m.

Competitor packets are getting stuffed now!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
10/10/18 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Thanks to you we no longer have shiny cones. :(

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/10/18 4:17 p.m.

How many entries did we get this year?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/10/18 5:56 p.m.

For those spectating in person (me) what sort of addresses do I need?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/10/18 6:44 p.m.
Mndsm said:

For those spectating in person (me) what sort of addresses do I need?

Hotel

4200 NW 97th Blvd, Gainesville, FL 32606

Track

11211 N, N County Road 225, Gainesville, FL 32609

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
10/11/18 6:18 a.m.

Turns out the trophies are going to be a bit of a parking lot build, too. I finished them up at 2am, then realized I was out of silver spray paint. To the parking lot!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
10/11/18 9:14 p.m.

I can't wait for the videos!!!  Wish I was there.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/11/18 9:37 p.m.

I brought my full compliment of paint markers. See yall in the am.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/12/18 6:44 a.m.

When will you be starting the live coverage?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/12/18 7:32 a.m.

I hope they are live for Jeremy's "reveal" of his "yet unseen" wagon.

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
10/12/18 8:40 a.m.

Wish I could be there.  I am hoping to see some of this on line.  I did see the "Wagon" on another thread.  Very crazy awesome.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/12/18 8:51 a.m.

In reply to Mike924 :

Probably not the same wagon.  The one I'm talking about looks like a Studebaker.

EDIT: Yes it is on FB

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/12/18 10:05 a.m.

Oh my god

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
10/12/18 10:08 a.m.

And we'll be live on Facebook and YouTube in about 2 minutes.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/12/18 10:32 a.m.
John Welsh said:

I hope they are live for Jeremy's "reveal" of his "yet unseen" wagon.

is the 2x4 pointed at the windshield an homage to a certain porsche replica from a couple years ago?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/12/18 10:35 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Expect two "photo runs" with body and then remaining w/o body.

I too commented about that "spear"

The thing is generally impossible to see out of.  Imagine dodging cones with this view.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/12/18 10:37 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

if it's a "conestoga wagon" riff... maybe it should be considered the "yoke" ?

*note this thread has required that I spell-check two words already

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/12/18 10:44 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

And we'll be live on Facebook and YouTube in about 2 minutes.

Link?

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
10/12/18 10:45 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:
Tom Suddard said:

And we'll be live on Facebook and YouTube in about 2 minutes.

Link?

first post!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/12/18 10:49 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:
Tom Suddard said:

And we'll be live on Facebook and YouTube in about 2 minutes.

Link?

This link should get you to the previous segment that was live earlier

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/12/18 10:51 a.m.
crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
10/12/18 12:01 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Something New this year, LIVE TIMING AND SCORING

WOW, shoutout to the Lumina van crew for that morning autocross time. Impressive

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/12/18 12:04 p.m.

Are the blanks in the results from people who are there that could not run, or they didn't show up?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
10/12/18 12:09 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Just a few extra cells in the sheet. Fixed.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/12/18 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I was thinking more the 8 cars that have 1000 second first runs.  I remember that there were many who registered but could not make it when we ran- and given the hurricane that just crossed the path to the event- that a few more than normal could not make it.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/12/18 1:20 p.m.

I still can’t figure out the youtube live feed, but i’m working up on a roof right now so it’s more for tonight

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/12/18 1:25 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

stream #1:

stream #2:

stream #3:

if you go to the channel page and refresh, it should show when it's live... but they're only doing ~30min streams per hour... that way they pace J.G.  wink

channel page:

edit: I accept no liability if you fall off a roof because of my providing these links
laugh

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/12/18 1:28 p.m.

Almost done on the roof, couple more pieces

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/12/18 3:49 p.m.

livestream #4:

you'll be on your own for the rest, it's getting late here

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/12/18 3:54 p.m.

coverage just crashed mid interview with the Wreck team.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/12/18 4:06 p.m.

back on- every time I watch, I put together an idea car.

This year, it's back to a DP or DM/EM Spider.  I think a EM would be the most straight forward, although not one that would be competitive with the ultimate MG.

It's interesting to consider that the more modified car can be built cheaper- but I think it's pretty true.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/12/18 11:47 p.m.

here's the fifth stream, if you want to watch it "after the fact"...

bluej
bluej UberDork
10/13/18 11:08 a.m.

Sooooo any concourse feed?? I'm dying up here!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/13/18 11:33 a.m.

I don’t know why but that Datsun in the GRM Live intro is just so damn sexy.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/13/18 12:25 p.m.
Patrick said:

I don’t know why but that Datsun in the GRM Live intro is just so damn sexy.

The flat black funny car Z?  Yeah....that is sexy!  J/Kcheeky

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
10/13/18 7:08 p.m.

Who won yesterday?

is the award ceremony going to be live streamed?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/13/18 7:14 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

If I'm seeing right, there has been no livestream all day (concourse day) and GRM FB page has only loaded two pics on this Saturday.

Something seems amiss.

The Justang finished on top Friday. They will probably be hard to unseat for the overall

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/13/18 7:21 p.m.

I have word that Team Stampie has won the half budget class.

John Welsh

John Welsh said:

More Intel...

1st Justang

2nd Georgia Tech 5 series

3rd a Rookie in Ghettocet Miata

That ghettocet was FAST.

Also- I find it comical that the mr2 was faster around course being towed by a Saab. By almost 30 seconds. But there was absolutely no team that worked harder. Nonack and co crushed it.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/14/18 8:10 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

And the results are now live at http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/livetiming/

are the 400' times recorded in the PM autocross going to be published anywhere?

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
10/14/18 8:21 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

I asked and they didn't have the staff to record the 400 times which is understandable. The grid was incredibly busy this year with the longer format so they had their hands full.  There was a timer for it and the fast teams were in the 5.9 seconds range.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/14/18 8:46 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

J.G. mentioned getting "lowest time yet" from the 400' time during one of the livestreams, hence my question.

There's also been some... discussion?... in the past about wanting to have some results with "additional notes" recorded somewhere... since the "raw results" leaves out some context (supra = ford wagon, secret wagon = c4, etc).  However, I recognize that this might be stepping on Tim/Tom/Margie/GRM's toes/IP.  But, it'd be pretty easy for the forum community to setup an semi-open GoogleDocs file populated with the results with additional fields for "notes" and/or "tires" to be populated by "accredited" forum members.  But, if we're going to do that... we probably ought to fire it up soon, while the memory is relatively fresh... assuming we get some kind of "official blessing" for it.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/14/18 9:38 a.m.
sleepyhead said:

In reply to Stampie :

Like 7th with used unknown date road race tires vs 3rd with stickered a7?

I guess the stat geeks would like it but i’m cool with “this is where my $ went and this is how I did”

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/14/18 9:53 a.m.

I have been trying to watch things on YouTube. Will the live feeds be uploaded so those that could not watch live can go back and watch things?

Also. Would GRM be open to having volunteers help with the production/ filming/ end of things?  Say setting a couple more cameras around and or sending out a couple more roving reporters to film/interview the event. All this does not need to be live (but live would be even more cool) it could then be edited down and released as content on there site/YouTube over the next couple weeks.

The little bit of stuff I have seen so far has me wanting more.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/14/18 5:00 p.m.
dean1484 said:

The little bit of stuff I have seen so far has me wanting more.

Love the enthusiasm for the broadcasts, but at this point we can barely muster enough of a volunteer force to pick up an orange vinyl pylon when it falls over, and the leap from "wave this red flag" to "produce and broadcast a live multi-camera sporting event" is fairly broad. Still, though we recognize the need to broadcast and archive this event in a multimedia fashion. Really the only thing standing between us and that reality is re$ources. And the best way to get those resources is to have a viable product worthy of those resources. Literally the best thing anyone can do right now to help expand the coverage in future years is to make sure you're consuming and RELENTLESSLY SHARING our current offerings.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/14/18 5:06 p.m.

Oh, and for those that noticed there was no live feed from Saturday. Internet was actually garbage all weekend at the track, which was the cause of the dropouts in a couple of the feeds. Which kind of sucked because it was great last year, and three weeks ago when we went to do a site survey and set up the autocross courses. I can inly attribute it to a substantial portion of NW Florida's infrastructure getting wiped off the map the day prior to the event.

We did spend Saturday shooting some prerecorded featured on a few cars, which wil appear on a future live show (probably the Halloween special on October 31st).

As for the 400' times, we had one car under the 6-second mark which was the Justang. A few more were in the low 6s. We do have some chicken-scratch notes on the 400' times that we'll try to get into some sort of manageable format.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
10/14/18 9:17 p.m.

Datsaniti went 6.0s in the 400' or so I'm told. I think Wreck Racing and the V8 Miata got under 6.0s too.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
10/15/18 5:41 p.m.

I just want to say thank you to the staff for the shout out with my wagon in the first post on this thread. It cool to see I sneak into the magazine and now I am getting the treads with even trying.....

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
10/16/18 6:30 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Car 16 was a stock Miata 1.8 drivetrain on 195 street tires with only me driving. It's my son's car, but he doesn't have his license yet. No pro driver runs (I did suggest it to him, but he wanted to give me the seat time. 32 days prior to the event, it was covered in matt black (scratch that... chalky, charcoal colored) paint, including the door handles. We disassembled everything we could for paint, and went through all of the "safety and reliability" items. It can get faster next year.

7fcfeoqmBEvJsLhzifoYUwJ3WpoJTy58swx1mfU6PJyD7GYmZXuV1FUB99CGVIXM