Who Wants a Skip Barber Racing School Car?

We just got this press release in out inboxes and thought you might be interested:

Skip Barber Racing School has received U.S. Bankruptcy Court approval to sell all their assets and intellectual property to Liquid Asset Partners. The school is one of the largest racing institutions in the world. It has a 40+ year history providing racing instruction, defensive and high-performance driving classes, amateur and professional racing championships, and corporate entertainment experiences.

While most of the physical assets will be sold in a three month liquidation sale starting August 29, the iconic brand is available for outright purchase offers or potentially for licensing to regional race schools or tracks that want to grow their race programs.

The three-month liquidation sale will be held in Braselton, GA starting August 29. The sale will include hundreds of race cars and high-performance engines, transmissions, and components for Barber formula race cars, Mazda Miata, Porsche 911, Mustang GT, semi-trailers, trucks, fleet equipment, race equipment, memorabilia, and historical vehicles.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more news.

Comments

8/10/17 2:06 p.m.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
8/10/17 2:09 p.m.

Oh, I'll be checking out the auction for sure

8/10/17 2:12 p.m.

And there are some photos here.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
8/10/17 2:43 p.m.

what formula cars (if any) would skippy school have in this?

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
8/10/17 2:50 p.m.

Always liked running formula skippies in iracing.

Would it be hard to find a way to track one not competitively?

I am pretty sure no hpde groups would allow them.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/10/17 3:02 p.m.

Shouldn't the thread title be: Who Wants a Skip Barber Racing School LLC Car?

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
8/10/17 3:07 p.m.

I now have plans for the 29th.

What's the hove's ipinion on the value of a former track school owned mx5, 911, or mustang?

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/10/17 3:13 p.m.

I didn't think that things rusted in Georgia, quoting from the Miata junkyard.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/10/17 4:30 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: What, no comments? Last time we were at Road Atlanta, we saw a pile of NC Mazda MX-5s. I'm guessing that some might be available for scrap metal values.

We Kind of already discussed this

freetors
freetors New Reader
8/10/17 5:22 p.m.

Wasn't there a thread on here not too long ago stating that all their cars are rolling heaps and constantly breaking down? Or was that another school? I wouldn't mind having a small open wheeler for autocross duty.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
8/10/17 5:52 p.m.

I'm definitely interested.

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
8/10/17 5:54 p.m.

Any link to the actual auctions yet? I wanna do some real nasty things to a Miata.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
8/10/17 6:16 p.m.

If you get a Miata, also get a mustang GT, stir...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/10/17 6:18 p.m.

Am I the only one who wants a semi and race trailer?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/10/17 6:33 p.m.

I tried to buy a Skip Barber School formula car a few years ago. It was a bare chassis with bodywork outside of the race shop at Lime Rock. To my eye, it was way better than the vintage Formula Ford chassis that I had at the time. When I finally found the guy in charge, he said, "I keep telling them to cut that thing up. Somebody's gonna get killed in that car." It looked fine to me, which really got me thinking about how little I know about that kind of thing.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/10/17 6:41 p.m.

IIRC, those cars basically are scrap metal.

jj
jj HalfDork
8/10/17 6:51 p.m.

wow, racing is dying.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
8/10/17 6:57 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: I didn't think that things rusted in Georgia, quoting from the Miata junkyard.

Really things rust badly here... those are new enough that they shouldn't be an Issue.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
8/10/17 7:08 p.m.
GTXVette wrote:

Considering that I had a 2011 vehicle partially collapse on a lift today because its jacking points were more theoretical than structural, I am thinking that maybe the concept of "rust" needs to be defined before further conversation can happen.

Also, when will Japanese manufacturers figure out rust prevention? I mean, okay, Nissan seems to have severe rust as one of its core policies, and Mazda isn't much better, but aren't NCs pretty much gone from the roads anymore because Mazda put cardboard in the front chassis rails which makes the front end just sort of fall off after a few years?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/10/17 7:17 p.m.

Haven't come across that. There were never all that many NCs to start with. It wasn't a huge seller.

All the cars parked in the Skip Barber graveyard were put there by accidents, then stripped of useful parts.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
8/10/17 7:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: And there are some photos here.

From the looks of all those shells, Skip went bankrupt because they couldn't dial the under steer out of the NC cup chassis.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/10/17 8:33 p.m.
kazoospec wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: And there are some photos here.

When we ran our Miata salvage operation, 95% of the cars - all generations - had suffered front hits. We never got intact hoods, but the trunklids were always cherry. I think it's a target fixation thing.

8/12/17 5:03 p.m.

The liquidation company has posted some photos on their Facebook page.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/12/17 6:17 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Funny that an auction facility from here in little Grand Rapids, Mi is is charge of a GA auction.

logdog
logdog UltraDork
8/12/17 8:32 p.m.

Apparently they already sold all the computers. They never sent an email telling me "tough luck, the class we rescheduled you for after we cancelled your class in March, has been cancelled. Sucka!". After the court date was scheduled we called to check the status and they said they were trying to restructure, but were honoring classes scheduled through the end of the year. A week before the court date I got an email offering an upgrade to the 4 day class for a discount (I ignored it). So it would appear they wanted to shake us down for more money right to the end.

Luckily, after over an hour working with the credit card company yesterday, we were given a tentative credit for the money. We have to wait for another case worker to call next week.

I wonder if I can cash in the 1000 "Skip Barber Bucks" they gave me for the last minute cancellation on some used car parts.

logdog
logdog UltraDork
8/12/17 8:37 p.m.

The management of Skip Barber Racing School can bite my....

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
8/12/17 8:45 p.m.
jj wrote: wow, racing is dying.

Nah. There are 400 to 500 racers right now doing 24 hours of vir that probably wouldn't be racing at all if it weren't for the cheap and easy to enter racing leagues going on right now.

I see racing growing like crazy at the grassroots level.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project New Reader
8/12/17 10:10 p.m.

I'd gladly take one of those beat up Miatas off their hands. Or maybe even something else. Wonder what kind of prices we will see...

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
8/13/17 6:39 a.m.

I can't imagine any of those miatas or formula cars will get more than 4-6K. They were looking pretty rough. Provided the chassis is straight, it'd make a really run track day car for under 10K all in though.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
8/13/17 8:53 a.m.

A realy clean example of one of those formula cars would be in the $12-$15k range.

I am expecting them to go for 1/3 of that and hoping for 1/5 that.

Wonder if the racing suits and shoes and stuff will be sold individually or as a lot?

Wouldnt mind picking up a setup cheap.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
8/13/17 9:44 a.m.

Some of the stuff being sold off.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
8/13/17 9:46 a.m.

Some of these cars look in pretty rough shape.

ncjay

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
8/13/17 9:52 a.m.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
8/13/17 9:55 a.m.

5489 Technology Parkway, Braselton, GA. Selloff starts Aug 29.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/13/17 12:24 p.m.

The thing with the Formula cars is that unless they already slot into another existing racing class, they're pretty much lawn ornaments. Can't take them to (most) track days and if there's no class, who are you racing against?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
8/13/17 12:39 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

With that many, all your friends and family!

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/13/17 12:55 p.m.

Anybody know what transaxles those are?

stroker
stroker UltraDork
8/13/17 3:27 p.m.

Anybody know max driver size on those formula cars? We need a list of forum members who plan to attend that thing.

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
8/13/17 4:24 p.m.

I'm guessing there's no online bidding?

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
8/13/17 5:54 p.m.

there are enough formula cars to start a class, like Very Stock engine and transaxel,just like what NCJay showed.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
8/13/17 7:21 p.m.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
8/13/17 8:19 p.m.
stroker wrote: How the hell do you do a 90 day auction? Surely they must have some sort of schedule as to what items will be up for bids by calendar date...

Exactly! Anyone have any information on how the process is going to work?

logdog
logdog UltraDork
8/14/17 10:26 p.m.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
8/15/17 7:35 a.m.

In reply to MrJoshua:

I asked to.be included on the sellers website but haven't heard anything from them yet. There was also a phone number. I may try to call that today.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/15/17 8:47 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Exactly! Anyone have any information on how the process is going to work?

Well yes actually!

I've been communicating with the firm holding the liquidation sale (Liquid Asset Partners) and although they don't have all the details yet, here's what they know so far:

We will have a list of items for sale – hopefully by Wednesday or Thursday of this week. A lot of people that we’ve talked to already regarding this sale are confused as to how the process works. It will not be an auction; it will be an on-site, extended-negotiated sale. The first day of the sale will be August 29, beginning at 11:00am at the location in Braselton, GA, and will be open 6 or 7 days a week there-after for about 3 months (hours and exact dates of the sale are TBD, but we should have that information narrowed down soon).

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
8/16/17 8:08 a.m.

Thanks for the info.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/16/17 10:02 a.m.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/16/17 10:38 a.m.

More info will be available soon---- they are scheduled to publish a full list of items coming up for sale within a few days. Look for a web banner on this site that will lead you directly to the link. It should be up by tomorrow.

HonestSpeedShop
HonestSpeedShop New Reader
8/16/17 11:14 a.m.
slefain wrote: I want to know what is in all those MOPAR parts boxes? I can't quite make out the part numbers. Their in-house open wheel cars ran a Neon engine, so I'm wondering if there may be some rare performance bits up for sale.

I hope so, there are a few things i need for up coming build i have planned :D

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
8/16/17 12:58 p.m.

Sounds like GRM scored some advertising bucks.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
8/16/17 8:04 p.m.

Have a feeling when they were going down the drain they stoped fixing stuff.

Didnt realise that some of those formula cars are 10 years old.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
8/16/17 9:37 p.m.
Fr3AkAzOiD wrote: Item list is up. Looks like some cars are going to Mecum auctions, lots of parts cars with bent frames. Have a feeling when they were going down the drain they stoped fixing stuff. Didnt realise that some of those formula cars are 10 years old.

List? What list?

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
8/16/17 10:20 p.m.

cars and tires

parts

Think I am going to pass on a car.

Not sure if a 13-14 hour round trip drive is worth saving a couple hundred on couple sets of tires, a race suit, shoes, and helmet.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/17/17 6:56 a.m.

I'd love to get one of those complete Formula cars, but I don't see myself making a trip to Georgia anytime soon.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
8/17/17 7:11 a.m.

Looks like there are some unused formula frames.

Who is going to step forward and make a single seater Exocet/Atom clone with stupid big power?

crewperson
crewperson Reader
8/17/17 7:16 a.m.

Those so called "lists" aren't worth the time of day. No real details, pictures or prices. Not committing to spend money on a promise.

eebasist
eebasist Reader
8/17/17 1:43 p.m.

What frustrates me is I have no idea if this is live auction, sealed bid auction, or priced. A ton of people may or may not be interested depending on how they price it. I can see the complete cars going to decent auction houses, but the rest that we want, we need a price

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/17/17 2:00 p.m.

In reply to eebasist:

Well yes actually!

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
8/17/17 2:36 p.m.

Sounds like its a yard sale, show up and haggle.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
8/17/17 2:50 p.m.

Let's assume a dozen of those formula cars end up in GRM hands... Think of the possibilities...

eebasist
eebasist Reader
8/17/17 4:20 p.m.

6-7 day extended negotiation sale....what kind of BS is that. Does that mean I come with a trailer, make an offer onsite and maybe they let me take it home then or treat it like a sealed bid auction that they will let the winners know 6-7 days later? If that's how they plan to handle it, it will be a disaster for the items we'd be looking at since the value is very "iffy"

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/18/17 9:34 a.m.

Liquid Asset Partners

eebasist
eebasist Reader
8/18/17 3:19 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: eebasist------ as the description stated, this is not an auction. Feel free to contact them for any questions you have about the sale. While we haven't worked with Liquid Asset Partners before, they do this for a living. I'd be amazed if this sale turned into a "disaster". If you are serious about purchasing something from the Skip Barber sale, contact them.....I'm sure they'd be happy to answer your questions: Liquid Asset Partners

Emailed when it first was listed, and again 2 days ago. I'm dissapointed. Whats the hive think one of the formula jobs is worth? Specs on them were pretty weak but would be fun to play with

crewperson
crewperson Reader
8/18/17 4:33 p.m.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/18/17 6:42 p.m.
eebasist wrote: Whats the hive think one of the formula jobs is worth? Specs on them were pretty weak but would be fun to play with

I'm not even sure what engines they had in them at the end. I know they were using Neon engines for a while, and then Mazdas I think. The chassis were made in Northern Ireland by Mondiale back when I went to the school.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
8/18/17 7:19 p.m.
crewperson wrote: I don't understand either. Show me some pictures and put some prices on them. How tough is that?

X2

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/18/17 10:57 p.m.

Their only failing is releasing preliminary info too soon. Inventorying, photographing, and pricing a million+ in product is not an overnight task. They've given a start date for the sale and we're not there yet. Getting ticked off now is jumping the gun.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
8/19/17 7:25 a.m.
Woody wrote:

According to the innernets they're made of mild steel, not chrome moly, which surprises me a bit.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
8/19/17 7:48 a.m.
stroker wrote:
Woody wrote:

Not me... chrome moly is technically a stronger metal than the common types of mild steel, but it can be more brittle, and it's kinda sensitive to how it's welded. (Which is why most bikes made with the stuff were brazed)

In a no holds barred weight saving fight, the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. But for a "spec class" where being tough and repairable is more important, mild makes a lot more sense.

There may be rules in effect too. I'm not sure about the open wheel side of things, but chrome moly is banned in the US as a rollcage material by a lot of sanctioning bodies.

crewperson
crewperson Reader
8/19/17 9:00 a.m.

In reply to dculberson, August 29th is 10 days from now, 6 if we are talking business days. Too soon? Come on apparently they're not rookies at this. I'm not up for a 800 mile trip with this amount of information.

gumby
gumby New Reader
8/19/17 9:58 a.m.

Does anybody have a link or more info on the formula car specs? I am more interested than I probably should be about whether one of these could be CM legal for solo.

eebasist
eebasist Reader
8/19/17 11:20 p.m.

In reply to gumby:

As close to specs as I can see

gumby
gumby New Reader
8/20/17 1:41 p.m.

Thanks for that! I was imagining that without aero these cars would be fairly close to a FF performance wise, but the article repeatedly calls the Barber cars F2000. Based on that, they would keep or upgrade their aero and slot into BM rather than CM. Big jump in PAX and likely an underdog against the sports racers on an autoX course.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/20/17 8:58 p.m.

In reply to eebasist:

When I went to the school (I forget what year it was) the Formula cars that we drove had no wings. The Skip Barber Formula Dodge race cars did though.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/21/17 8:59 a.m.

I drove the Skip Barber Dodge cars, the final year of them. They felt slower then the Mazda3 at the track and even my friends stock Honda Accord.

Steve91386
Steve91386
8/24/17 3:39 p.m.

For the benefit of the GRM community - that is exactly what I did.

I reached out to Liquid Asset Partners (specifically the owner) immediately following the court date. As a Skippy School and Race Series Alum I wanted a car mostly for nostalgia and an autocross toy. I also stated I would take an MX-5 off their hands while I was down there (I live 900 miles away so why not make the trip worth it).

I made a written offer on a formula car and they declined and countered at $17,000

I didn't even ask about an MX-5 after that...

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
8/24/17 3:43 p.m.

$17,000? An unknown formula car that doesn't really fit any series? Wow.

Steve91386
Steve91386 New Reader
8/24/17 3:46 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: $17,000? An unknown formula car that doesn't really fit any series? Wow.

Yes, exactly my thoughts.... and for what it's worth there are very few actual complete Formula cars in inventory (complete body work & wings). My position wasn't really that it didn't fit into a class it was the lack of spares for the car - take a look at their "parts" list - a large majority of the Formula parts numbers show an inventory of zero.

Steve91386
Steve91386 New Reader
8/24/17 4:56 p.m.
drainoil wrote:

X2

They're asking $17,000 for a Formula car. Not sure about the MX-5s

logdog
logdog UltraDork
8/24/17 5:57 p.m.
logdog wrote: The credit card company is mailing us a check for our school fee we paid when we enrolled. So that is good. My wife looked through the legal stuff. It appears they entered a motion to sell instead of restructure on Aug 8. It sold for 830k.

The check came today. One thing I am not spending it on is 23% of a Formula car.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
8/24/17 6:32 p.m.

Pricing may look a little better on sept 2-3

Steve91386
Steve91386 New Reader
8/25/17 12:32 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Pricing may look a little better on sept 2-3

Well don't forget there's also a 15% buyer's premium so at $17,000 it's really $19,550...

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/25/17 4:24 p.m.

Well, at least I never, ever, ever have to think about this ever again. Ever.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
8/25/17 6:58 p.m.

It would be smarter to score a rolling chassis and put in your own drivetrain.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/29/17 7:57 a.m.

Has anybody inquired about the MX-5? was thinking about giving them a call today.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/29/17 9:23 a.m.

The sale begins today at 11am. I'd withhold judgement until we see what things are actually selling for. One high counter-offer on a particular car that we don't know the specifics of, is not enough to disregard the entire sale. Perhaps they will ask to much, perhaps they will come down on price. Perhaps there will be bargains to be had.....perhaps not.

We'll see......

stroker
stroker UltraDork
8/31/17 9:25 p.m.

So has anyone actually laid eyes on any of this stuff yet? I'm still noodling one of those formula car frames...

eebasist
eebasist Reader
8/31/17 9:49 p.m.

In reply to stroker:

I'd drive out if they would at least give me a ballpark number for some of their items. Heck, they wont even give a better description of what formula cars they have. I mean if you're expecting thousands for an item, you might want to put some pictures or at least a better description down for each

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
9/1/17 8:28 a.m.

I am waiting a week to ask about the Miata's. I would have to purchase it site unseen. Would have to be really cheap.

eebasist
eebasist Reader
9/8/17 6:38 p.m.

Anyone get anything?

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More