Your Projects: Neon ACR Rookie Road Racer

Back in the day, a lot of people–us included–took the Dodge and Plymouth Neons racing. The factory offered generous contingency money, technical assistance and the track-ready ACR models. enginenerd is going to make good on a lifelong goal of going racing, so a 1995 Neon ACR has been added to the fleet.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Dodge news.
Comments
8/30/17 2:47 p.m.

When I joined the staff in 1994, we had just received our new project car--one of them new-fangled Neon ACRs. It was actually a development prototype or something, so while it had all of the ACR bits, it also had some extras like a fold-down rear seat. Sadly that car is no more.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/30/17 2:52 p.m.

8/30/17 3:09 p.m.

That's funny. I remember the later cars having the fold-down rear seat, but I thought that the first-year ACR package was only available as an option on the base car. JG or someone else here can correct me. The TL;DR is that technically our car wasn't SSC-legal even though it carried some extra equipment. I think the fact that ours had a/c was also technically not kosher. Still, we had fun with it.

Blaise
Blaise Reader
8/30/17 3:16 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: My 97 acr had the fold down seat. And apparently no protocol for actually checking the cat efficiency. It didnt have one when i got it. Had a rear o2 and a chunk of pipe. But no cat codes, ever.

You had a race ECU. That's why :)

Standard ACR computers were identical other than the speed limiter being removed.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/30/17 3:18 p.m.

I drove from Michigan to Alaska to Southern California and back to Michigan in a base Neon with my sister and a friend. A fold down sat would have made gear storage for three so much easier. And AC would have been nice. Or a working radio. That was a great car.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/30/17 3:20 p.m.

There weren't technically any 1995 m/y base model Neon coupes, so the first batch of ACR coupes were actually built on a Highline chassis. That's why it had the fold-down seat. By '97 the true base model was mostly gone.

8/30/17 3:22 p.m.

Yeah, a/c was nice. I think ours might have had cruise, too--maybe. It was fairly loaded by Neon standards. But then it had all of the ACR bits.

8/30/17 3:23 p.m.

Ours was a sedan, for what it's worth. I might have missed mentioning that part.

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
8/30/17 6:30 p.m.

The ACR sedan did was not available with a fold down rear seat from the dealer, they did come with AC if you wanted it though. My dad bought one new in 1995, a 1 of 15 (as far as I know) nitro yellow green Plymouth sedan.

SwJ8KsKLOvjFbmm9UppUSGNE4xvsADO2LH1sv8FpXDbasLbx6cPXkb2NfgmpJCa5