Dec 8, 2010 update to the Lincoln Mark VII project car

Finally-the Cage Match

First step for this session: Yank all of the glass for better access to the roll cage.
We also cut off the driver's-side door.
To provide a bit more room for our drivers, we also slightly tweaked the A-pillar bars.
Geoff helped with tonight's cage fitting.
We're making some progress, as the main cage is mostly attached to the chassis.

We’d love to go with 16-inch wheels, but we don’t really have the budget for that.

Time to finish welding in the cage, and tonight we got some help: Geoff Thompson, setter-upper of many GRM project cars, came over to lend some assistance. Geoff has been involved in many race car builds, from local roundy-round machines to ones bound for the Rolex 24 At Daytona.

His first suggestion: Yank all of the glass for better access to the interior. Our Lincoln’s doors had been welded shut (think “Dukes of Hazzard”), so we cut open the driver’s-side one—also for better access. The hinges were still present, too.

We also made a few tweaks to our cage. We used our Eastwood tubing bender to open up the A-pillar bars. Since we don’t have to clear a dashboard or any interior panels, we can take advantage of the open space and give our drivers a bit more room.

We used a hydraulic porta-power to spread the rear cage legs. That will cure the fact that our cage was a tiny bit too narrow for our mounting pads.

We also investigated tires. Right now we have some ancient 215/70R15 Kendas on some 15x7-inch steel wheels. Looks like a 225/60R15 Kumho Ecsta ASX may be the hot setup: only 4.5 percent shorter and slightly wider. We’d love to go with 16-inch wheels, but we don’t really have the budget for that.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more project updates.
Comments
View comments on the GRM forums
Sponsored by

GRM Ad Dept

Our Preferred Partners
65RXVnTWstU2BWEJvFfrgJFhU7O2AnsnhTF7p3CGOE2BOBOPhK1zUZFyvg58D5hb