Dec 21, 2010 update to the Lincoln Mark VII project car

Suspension Surgery Continues

The Lincoln is starting to take shape. Kinda.
Snip, no more parking brakes.
We needed upper strut mounts. The answer came from the scrap bin.
We now have some lights, too. These are the latest in swap meet specials.
Safety is important here at GRM, so we have been beefing up the cage. It's now tied to the body.
And, look, a dashboard. We figured we should mount our gauges and switches somewhere. This is simply some scrap aluminum bent over a very, very simple frame.

The GRM crew has been busy with the Lincoln, and most of that time has been spent undoing past sins. Whoever first prepared this car should have their wrenches confiscated and their butt kicked.

The GRM crew has been busy with the Lincoln, and most of that time has been spent undoing past sins. Whoever first prepared this car should have their wrenches confiscated and their butt kicked.

The rear suspension was a mess, and we think we have it banged back into shape. After more than one try, we found some OE-grade shock absorbers that fit. Their mounts did require some grinding, however.

While we were back there, we also removed the parking brake. Snip.

The front suspension also required some work, as the upper strut mounts had been unceremoniously hacked apart. We didn’t even have an upper strut mount bushing to work with. The car did come with some homemade camber plates, and they served as our starting point.

Tim had an idea, and most of the base materials came from our local Lowe’s: rod ends, some bolts and tubing. The angle iron came from the scrap bin. The resulting creation locates the top of the strut and should withstand a few curb hops.

We also fabricated a dashboard, as we had nowhere to mount our gauges, switches, etc. The solution was simple: a piece of scrap aluminum riveted to some square stock. The gauges and switches are a mix of swap meet finds and the ones that came with the car.

We also beefed up our cage, tying it to the A- and B-pillars. Now it’s starting to look more like a race car.

We still have a long to-do list:

R&R coolant (It’s gross)

Replace the brake calipers (They’re gross, too)

Source brake lines (One’s missing)

Plumb fuel system

Mount tires

Finish installing the seat

Fix shifter

Install a kill switch

Install window net

Install battery box

Fix waterpump (We think it leaks)

Wire lights

Change fluids

Flush master cylinder

Flush steering rack

Reinstall glass

More wiring

Install side-view mirrors

Join Free Join our community to easily find more project updates.
Comments
View comments on the GRM forums
fifty
fifty HalfDork
12/21/10 7:44 p.m.

Flush the clutch master cylinder also (if it's a man. trans.) - the 38 year old fluid in our Lemons car prevented the clutch push rod from returning, and we smoked a clutch!

ww
ww SuperDork
12/22/10 3:21 p.m.

It's a Lincoln Mark VII... They were never made with a manual unless you do a Mustang tranny swap! ;)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/22/10 9:03 p.m.

Yep, it's an automatic. I'm not saying that means that the fluid still doesn't need to be changed.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/17/11 11:44 a.m.

Whoa, seat sliders? We used a thick foam pad. No fancy schmancy seat sliders for us.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
3/22/11 11:22 p.m.

I saw one of these on my local CL this weekend for $2500, after seeing this project car I am sorely tempted to go find that car and take a closer look. I won't be turning it into a racer if I like what I see, but will use some of your ideas for "improving the breed", so to speak.

Unfortunately, the only Mk VIIs I ever run across either look like the project car here, and are just as hacked to bits, or are VERY high mileage examples and the electronics are shot....especially the ones controlling the rear suspension.

Sponsored by

GRM Ad Dept

Our Preferred Partners
7DZG5bqDPr8cHmfAxbquA66LIYVTgEQBf0SCA7Z6A94HjTA31VUJZGYRE0EAMaFF