Mar 18, 2003 update to the Toyota Celica ST project car

The engine’s good, tire’s fair…

New engine
The Kumho ECSTA V700 uses Kumho's K6A compound, we compared them to the old K8A compound, which is harder. The new compound is quite a bit stickier.

The new engine is back in, and now has about 1k miles on it. We’ll be changing the oil tonight, sticking with conventional “Dino” oil for now.

Our revitalized Celica had its first event on the new engine this weekend. While the engine was awesome, our leftover old compound Kumhos were noticeably worse than the new Kumhos that we had mounted up on the front of the car. The result was a lot of oversteer and a hard to drive car.

We’ve also sent a set of OE Toyota shocks to Koni for dyno comparisons with the single adjustable sports that we’re currently using. It feels like the Toyota shocks are quite a bit stronger in bump damping than the Konis. The OE shocks are actually OE for the GT, not the ST, but work well on the lighter ST.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more project updates.
Comments
View comments on the GRM forums
Sponsored by

GRM Ad Dept

Our Preferred Partners
HQy9E1FKL33231JAYTHepvnUZPltHko7lBos3WdOaWNXKrodeAN2cKZqUMkB0LUG