Oct 2, 2009 update to the Volkswagen Golf project car

Golf Exhaust Makeover

Here's our Golf, up and properly supported on jackstands.
The primary tubes of the Techtonics header are quite long in order to produce power and torque.
Our catalytic converter matrix had completely broken apart. We found this chunk in the muffler.
The new header installs from the top.
Here's our junkyard-sourced Techtonics exhaust—we saved a few hundred bucks on that deal.

Turns out the converter was broken, and almost all of the internal matrix was actually stuffed inside the downstream muffler.

We had a sneaking suspicion that our exhaust was extra-restrictive. The catalytic converter was rattling and the car felt pretty asthmatic at higher rpm. Turns out the converter was broken, and almost all of the internal matrix was actually stuffed inside the downstream muffler.

After we found a Techtonics exhaust system in the junkyard for $14.99, we went on the hunt for a header to match. We sourced a Techtonics race header and a new mid-pipe to complete the exhaust system from stem to stern.

The installation was pretty straightforward, taking about six hours total. The header, with its long primary branches, actually comes apart so you can install it from the top of the engine compartment. Wiggling it down from the top took some doing, but we got the job done.

Now that the exhaust is done, we’ll be scheduling some dyno time to compare aftermarket chips for the fuel injection system.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more project updates.
Comments
View comments on the GRM forums
Sponsored by

GRM Ad Dept

Our Preferred Partners
zcxZQhSK5wEzcwVpcf7daMil3wnAOzn3XNkUtbO3oOGZhvLqlnlOlabpkzsNxJPy