Video: Drifting Is Not the Only Thing Keiichi Tsuchiya Is Good At

https://www.youtube.com/embed/A9Pfwd2isqA

Keiichi Tsuchiya may be best known for his drifting prowess, but don’t let that fool you into thinking that he can’t hold his own in wheel-to-wheel racing.

Here he is showing off some fancy footwork at the Tsukuba Circuit in Shimotsuma, Japan.

Like what you're watching? We rely on your financial support. For as little as $3, you can support Grassroots Motorsports by becoming a Patron today. 

j_tso
j_tso Reader
10/29/20 11:29 a.m.

He supposedly got the title Drift King by drifting in races to shake off people behind.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/29/20 2:43 p.m.

I've watched bootleg Best Motoring and Hot Version videos for years and years.  Dori Dori is the real deal.

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
10/29/20 2:50 p.m.


uhhh.... 2 time lemans winner. I *think* the man can drive. Classic case of "oh drifting isn't racing". People think because you CAN drift you CANT race. Utter nonsense. 

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/30/20 9:17 a.m.

I didn't realize he was the same age as my dad. The thought of my dad driving like that is entertaining. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/30/20 9:36 a.m.

I saw a video the other day interviewing him and he said that he would get such a lead in races that he started drifting the car to entertain the crowd.  People seemed to like it and the rest is history.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/30/20 12:40 p.m.
Vigo (Forum Supporter) said:

I didn't realize he was the same age as my dad. The thought of my dad driving like that is entertaining. 

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
10/30/20 1:42 p.m.
nderwater said:

I've watched bootleg Best Motoring and Hot Version videos for years and years.  Dori Dori is the real deal.

I love watching those. Yeah, the dude can wheel. He's got some pretty fast friends, too.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/30/20 2:57 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I saw a video the other day interviewing him and he said that he would get such a lead in races that he started drifting the car to entertain the crowd.  People seemed to like it and the rest is history.  

That's the way I'd heard it, too.  He wasn't fast because he was drifting, he was drifting because he was so far in the lead that it gave him something entertaining to do.

 

See also: Gilles Panizzi, 2002 Rally Catalunya

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/1/20 9:12 a.m.

Best motoring is a high water mark for motojournalism imho. That and sport compact car when Coleman and Kojima were around. 

You'll need to Log in to post comments.

More like this
Our Preferred Partners
1dO1NBaK3SnbtWdVneYZ0ZXD66xVqDSvjuzwRTqBxb0kQYURKkA0bPBlMIZSxqsZ