2020 Corvette Stingray C8: What We Know and Our First Impressions

First, let's get the known stats out of the way:

Price: The starting price for the entry-level 2020 Corvette Stingray: "Under $60,000" (Potentially this means the Z51 package, Mark Reuss, GM President was slightly ambiguous here.)

Engine: LT2 6.2-Liter OHV V8 mounted amidships with a new dry-sump oiling system.

Drivetrain Layout: mid-engined, RWD

Horsepower: 495.

Torque: 470.

0-60: "Under three seconds when equipped with the Z51 package."

Transmission: Eight-speed Dual Clutch Transmission "Shifts faster and better than a human". No word on any manual options down the road, so this sounds like the only transmission.

Like it or not, the Chevrolet Corvette is one of the cars that define our scene. From local autocrosses to international endurance racing, and at every point in between, Corvettes tend to run at the front of the pack while serving as one of the yardsticks by which performance is measured for other cars in the segment. So it’s no surprise that when Chevy revealed the most significant update to the model in its history–nothing short of a clean-sheet design that changed the entire layout–it was a Big Deal®.

When you roll out a mid-engined reimagining of iconic sportswear, you don’t just hand out a few thumb drives to jaded journalists at the airport Marriott. You start by renting a blimp hangar. Inside that blimp hangar, you put a stage worthy of Metallica, display historic examples from Corvette history, and even get a couple of astronauts to hype up the crowd of 1000-plus before you roll out your new creation.

We can’t really even begin to communicate the level of hype from the crowd at this event. In addition to automotive journalists–who, like we said, tend to be a mostly jaded and low-key bunch–Chevy invited hundreds of current Corvette owners, online influencers and dealer personnel to this worldwide unveiling.

The pre-event hype was downright Marvel Studios-like, where for months prior to the high-profile release nerds worldwide pored over the latest official and unofficial spy shots from movie sets in order to piece together Captain America’s possible fate. For months, fans have been analyzing disguised spy shots, official “leaks,” clearly bullcrap leaks, unofficial renderings and grainy pictures of C8 Corvette bits.

In the huge grandstands inside that SoCal blimp hangar, we saw people actually people vibrating with anticipation as the lights went down and the show began. Honestly, it was cool to see people so excited about a car.

And the actual car revealed to us mostly justified the hype. Yes, there are nits to pick–no car is perfect, certainly–but overall my initial feeling is there’s a lot more to like here than to complain about. So here are some observations from the morning after the big show:

• The biggest enthusiasm gap I’m seeing seems to be between current Corvette hardcores and non-owners, with the latter being more excited about the new version. I’m on the mailing list for our local NCC chapter, and the first few reactions have been somewhat lackluster. Likewise, I was in an elevator with a guy completely decked out in Corvette gear last night. When the door closed, he looked over and asked, “Well? What do you think?”

I began to respond: “So I think there’s going to be some excitement fr….” where he immediately cut me off and emotionally burst out, “Man they screwed up! The performance is there, but the looks?!?! The branding!?!? It’s just not a Corvette!”

So maybe the biggest discussion we’ll be having around this car is not whether it’s intrinsically good, but whether or not it’s a Corvette.

On the other hand, my autocross and track friends are pretty universally stoked, with maybe a few holdouts from the ones who hate everything anyway. (You know who you are.)

• Maybe the biggest shock of the night was the revelation that the car will be available starting at less than $60,000. That’s huge. Obviously, the good stuff will cost more. I’d estimate another $10,000 to $15,000 to turn a sub-$60k base model into a Z51 with better tires, better aero, more power via a sport exhaust, more aggressive gear ratios, an e-diff and trick software tuning for chassis and drivetrain. But, still, find me another 500-horsepower, mid-engine car with clear track intentions out there for less than $75,000. You can’t. That’s Cayman money for something that is clearly a lot more gnarly. The Corvette has always had a strong value proposition, and the C8 continues that trend.

• The other upside of that price point is that they’re going to sell a metric crap ton of these things. That means that in 10 years, their value on the used market should be downright affordable. Even if you can’t afford a new one, you should be excited that a used C8 could be realistically on your radar before long.

• No official word on higher performance models or designations, other than there are plans for them. There is a dedicated space in the chassis that would neatly swallow a large battery pack if that tells you anything. Corvettes have always added meaner version after the initial release, and when the intro car is doing zero to 60 in less than 3 seconds, the prospect of a Z06 or ZR1 version offering even higher performance is darn exciting.

• Chevy is fully bought in to track culture with this car. The next generation of the Performance Data Recorder setup will feature a database of tracks from around the world–and not only with start/finish lines but segment times and also the ability to compare info through user databases. Basically, the new Corvette comes with a competition-style data acquisition system.

• Overall, I like the looks. From the back of the doors to the front of the car, the looks and proportions are really, really good. From the back edge of those doors to the tail of the car, things get a little, well, less good.

The proportions of the rear are long and heavy compared to the front. Shorten the distance between the rear edge of the doors and the rear wheel wells, somehow, and you have an epic package. Right now, it’s good, but not perfect.

One of the most common criticisms I’ve heard regarding the styling is that it’s a little “generic supercar.” Uh, okay. I mean, I guess you could be more cynical and jaded, but you might need a special permit or something. A generic supercar is still a supercar. I’m ultimately going to choose to judge it by lap times and not a few styling missteps.

• You can say that changing the traditional Corvette layout to mid-engine is a flaw, but the reality is that this is what Zora Arkus-Duntov always wanted. He was pushing for a mid-engined Vette from the 1950s. So, you can say it’s a big change, but I don’t really think you can say, “It’s not what a Corvette should be,” when it’s literally what the guy who invented the Corvette always wanted.

We've made an abridged version of the live reveal right here for you to watch. Enjoy!

Join Free Join our community to easily find more C8 Corvette and Corvette articles.
Comments
Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
7/19/19 1:11 p.m.

So the real question:

Will we see a 2020 Corvette Stingray sell for sticker (under $60,000) in the next year?

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver Reader
7/19/19 1:24 p.m.

I'd go with a hard "Nahh!".  Any Chevy dealer with a soul might "sticker" one, but the rest will surcharge it so badly you'd think the price should be in Euros.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
7/19/19 1:26 p.m.

The interior layout is worse than the c7.  With the fact that new cars are manufactured with such modularity, someone out there (maybe even GM), should/could make different interior "packages" for these.  Spend $5k-10k more and get the '53 look or '67.  Spend a little less and get a track-ready package with flat carbon panels and comfort delete.

Just anything besides what was in the reveal car, please.

Scooter70
Scooter70 New Reader
7/19/19 1:29 p.m.

In reply to oldrotarydriver :

I think they have the capacity to build them in such quantity that anyone who wants one and is willing to do any research beyond walking into the dealership in their little town with a checkbook in their pocket the week that they first hit dealer lots (there are plenty of dealerships around the country who do long-distance sales) that getting one without dealer markup should be relatively easy.

te72
te72 Reader
7/19/19 1:29 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:

So the real question:

Doubt it. Pretty much any noteworthy enthusiast car tends to have significant dealer markup (and even more so in the secondary market in many cases) for a while. No worries though, if there's one thing I have, it's patience...

So, I'm gonna be the first to say it, the new Supra is screwed. I'm as big a Supra fan (and overall Toyota guy in general) but at this point, if you buy a Supra over the C8, well... that's on you. Personal taste aside, if you're after performance as a priority, you'd have to be downright foolish.

Now, that said? What a time to be an enthusiast. Mustangs are great, Corvettes are finally mid-engined, the Supra is as back as we're gonna get, Miatas are still awesome, Dodge sells any number of things with irresponsible power levels... new golden age? I think so.

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
7/19/19 1:34 p.m.

Current C7 owners that sat in the cars last evening report there is truly more interior room.

You forgot to mention the front end auto raise feature.

More details available here;

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
7/19/19 1:36 p.m.

In reply to te72 :

If you like the current Camaro, better buy one before they are discontinued again.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/19/19 1:41 p.m.

McLaren or Italian influence?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/19/19 1:43 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

I think it's great.

Will there be a mid-engined Camaro come back after the current one is discontinued?

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
7/19/19 1:45 p.m.

It's time for a $30k Fiero now.

7/19/19 1:47 p.m.

Here's something that JG and I discussed before the release: Will the new car look like a Corvette? I think the answer is yes.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
7/19/19 1:49 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to 914Driver :

Nope.  Camaro needs a back seat.  Hard to put two kids on each side of an LT2.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/19/19 1:50 p.m.

You could buy a C7 for sticker in the first year. Hell, you could order one for sticker. Not at my local dealer, but there are some high volume Corvette dealers that make this all reasonable.

My theory is that this car will appeal less to the "I bought C4, C5, C6, and C7 from the same dealer" Corvette enthusiast leaving some of the initial production for car enthusiasts instead of Corvette enthusiasts.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
7/19/19 1:50 p.m.

I'm pretty excited to read about test drives, once those start.  GM has mostly gotten the Corvette right for the last 20 years, from a performance level.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
7/19/19 1:50 p.m.

Unpopular opinion: I kind of like the interior. A lot.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
7/19/19 1:52 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

...and that's a good thing.  I felt the C7 did the same thing moving the needle in this direction.  The C7 elicited massive groans from the Corvette purists.  It didn't even have round taillights!

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/19/19 1:58 p.m.

I'm very curious to see how lap times compare to the C7 Stingray.  I foresee that the new Z51 will mop the floor with much more expensive cars in track tests.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/19/19 2:05 p.m.

Interior is a little odd looking, but I can confirm there’s way more space and headroom for the driver than any corvette in recent memory. Passenger... not so much.

Steering wheel is better in reality than in pictures. Spikes are low, but you can grip it at 9/3 and get full wrap around wheel. So they moved the spokes to where they weren’t ideal for thumb placement, but at least they moved them so far that they weren’t in the way.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
7/19/19 2:14 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

• You can say that changing the traditional Corvette layout to mid-engine is a flaw, but the reality is that this is what Zora Arkus-Duntov always wanted. He was pushing for a mid-engined Vette from the 1950s. So, you can say it’s a big change, but I don’t really think you can say, “It’s not what a Corvette should be,” when it’s literally what the guy who invented the Corvette always wanted.

This is a great counter argument to the "traditionalists".

I wish Zora Arkus-Duntov was around today to see his vision come to life sad.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
7/19/19 2:17 p.m.

I expected it to look like the camo'd mules, and while they definitely carry the same features, it somehow looks better than what my mind was imagining under the camo. Need to see one in person to really get a good feel though.

I was thinking $65-70k starting price, so to be under $60k is just a massive bargain for something with these kinds of chops.

Power is a little higher than I thought it would be too. I was figuring 475ish HP instead of nearly 500.

So in all, it's impressed me. I'm sure everyone at GM will sleep a little better tonight knowing that a random guy on the internet approves.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/19/19 2:21 p.m.

I can't believe that the 1982 Corvette buyer was the same as the 1984 Corvette buyer.

They have been trough a radical departure before...

1982

1984

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
7/19/19 2:22 p.m.
stanger_missle said:
JG Pasterjak said:

This is a great counter argument to the "traditionalists".

I wish Zora Arkus-Duntov was around today to see his vision come to life sad.

I was so very happy to see them not only display CERV-I/II/III but to also discuss them at length. And given how many times Mark Reuss mentioned that CERV-II/III were AWD, I'm anticipating an AWD Z06 announcement.

7/19/19 2:23 p.m.
xflowgolf said:
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to 914Driver :

Nope.  Camaro needs a back seat.  Hard to put two kids on each side of an LT2.

Haven't you ever had a back seat "hump?" We had one in our '78 Camaro. It was a natural barrier between my brother and I. It was like our own little DMZ. smiley

ebelements
ebelements New Reader
7/19/19 2:24 p.m.

I've wasted a good chunk of today reading/watching everything I can find about the C8. Never thought I would seriously crave corvette ownership even though I really enjoyed the C7 test drive I took last year, but I'm fully on board now. Not even mad about it being auto-only... the C7 really didn't work for me as a manual (on the street anyways). Seemed like the only real shifting was 1-2, and even then you were breaking laws. The ND was a far more rewarding manual experience.

Can't wait for the magazines to get their hands on these.

TreDeuce
TreDeuce New Reader
7/19/19 2:28 p.m.

The acquisition price is amazing... Thanks! And kudos to GM engineering and production processes. Truly first class.

As someone who experienced the sales  debut of the Mustang _ 240Z _ MX5, the over pricing(ADP) from sticker will be excessive, as I believe at the price of a short stack, people will be crushing down the doors to get one, and for a while.

As for styling, as stated by the author, a bit of a hit & miss with clearly Corvette/Sting Ray/Stingray styling bits, but a touch of Boy Racer, plasticky 60's kit car? Will hold judgment on that until I see one in the flesh.

Overall it gave me an hour or so of car fever, but that has passed for now.

We will all stay tuned with enlivened interest to see how this plays out over the next year or so. So it could be a lot of fun.

KurtK01
KurtK01 New Reader
7/19/19 3:00 p.m.

My observation is that the rear end is too busy. May be the first thing GM re-designs.

Depending on how the C8 sells, you may see more price drops for the C6s and C7s.

Samebutdifferent
Samebutdifferent New Reader
7/19/19 3:02 p.m.

JG, I believe you hit the nail on the head

"There's more to like than dislike".

Strangely enough, that is what will keep the C8 relevant and mostly popular for many years to come.  Consider the preceding generations where "advancements" and "cutting edge design" translated into watered down final products.  Yet, even with lack luster performance and cheap interiors, the car sold and people rallied behind them.  Every generational change brought forth the same comments and dare I say negativity from the nay sayers.  In this time of hiding behind the curtain of the world wide web, it just that much louder and more aggressive.

JG is our trusted source on this because he was there.  However, we can all look at the pictures and draw our own conclusions as to what we like or dislike.  Regardless of your view, the interesting constant with very few exceptions is the move of the engine.  This was previously thought to be a key element which would drive away the hard core Corvette enthusiasts but instead it was greeted very warmly.  Styling aside, that is a huge win for Chevy.

Until I see one in person, sit in it or maybe if I'm lucky enough, drive one, I'll with hold full judgment but I will state the following;

I do like the exterior styling overall.  It's a bit edgy, continues the C7 lines and is generally well thought out.  Could some areas be refined?  Sure, but this is the first round of what will be many iterations over time to address issues based on our feedback.  The interior is where I need to really see it up close.  I have to believe the pictures do not do it justice and only when you are in the car can a better assessment be made.  However the 20 buttons in question are familiar to any one with a GM product but their placement still seems a bit odd.

For me, I like have always liked the 63 split window in red with knock-offs and fuel injection.  To my eye, it just looked right for the times however others will feel different.  I also like the C6 platform because it seemed to clean up the misgivings from previous generations.  The C7 seemed to improve on the things that mattered performance wise but the styling was hard for me to really like.  That's why I find it interesting I actually like the C8 design because it shares many of the sames lines with the C7.  I guess the stying from the C7 is growing on me.

I can only image what the performance possibilities of a Z06 or ZR1 version will hold.  Hopefully we will see said versions before the electric cars take over completely.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/19/19 3:46 p.m.
John Welsh said:

They have been trough a radical departure before...

1982

1984

To my eye, the real radical departure took place between C1 and C2; the rest look evolutionary.

vettelocke
vettelocke New Reader
7/19/19 3:52 p.m.

JG, you told me a few years ago the Vette needed a dual clutch tranny to be considered one of the better performance cars of the world;  job done!

I've been a NCCC member since 1974 and yes, the most outspoken people in our Club complain it doesn't look like like a Vette. Heard that with the C5, C6 and C7. Maybe it will grow on you, maybe not.

Hopefully the new car will breath life into the National Council of Corvette Clubs but only if us old farts welcome and embrace those who are two generations younger than ourselves. We may have to move on from autocrossing to track days and time trials.

JG, when you get one to test, let me know.

Locke,  North Florida Corvette Association

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
7/19/19 4:01 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

• Overall, I like the looks. From the back of the doors to the front of the car, the looks and proportions are really, really good. From the back edge of those doors to the tail of the car, things get a little, well, less good.

The proportions of the rear are long and heavy compared to the front. Shorten the distance between the rear edge of the doors and the rear wheel wells, somehow, and you have an epic package. Right now, it’s good, but not perfect.

One of the most common criticisms I’ve heard regarding the styling is that it’s a little “generic supercar.” Uh, okay. I mean, I guess you could be more cynical and jaded, but you might need a special permit or something. A generic supercar is still a supercar. I’m ultimately going to choose to judge it by lap times and not a few styling missteps.

You can't shorten the gap between rear of the door and the rear wheel wells...there is an engine between there. That length is necessary on a longitudinal setup. The only way that distance could be shortened is going to a transverse setup.

EVERY MID ENGINE CAR WITH A LONGITUDINAL SETUP HAS THIS "GAP".

DeTomaso Pantera, Lotus Esprit, Ferrari 348, F355, F360, F430, F458, F488, Pista, Tributo, Lamborghini Gallardo, Huracan, Audi R8, etc.

The only mid engine cars with a shorter "gap" are all transverse setups: Fiat X1/9, Lancia Beta Montecarlo, MR2 (all three gens), Fiero, etc.

Be glad that GM FINALLY kept their word and actually made the damned thing. And don't criticize what YOU can't improve. I'll be waiting for your styling designs...

dragrasr58
dragrasr58
7/19/19 4:05 p.m.

Because I work for a GM supplier for the Corvette, I hope sells like gangbusters,

And price of the C6 Z06 I'm hunting for, comes down even further.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
7/19/19 4:16 p.m.

C5Z is the next hot ticket.  Doug says so.  Gives it a higher Doug Score than an S2000.  Suck it fan-boyz.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/19/19 4:21 p.m.

BarryNorman
BarryNorman New Reader
7/19/19 5:22 p.m.

Yes it looks like a Corvette. The committee that was responsible for this interpretation did ok balancing the Corporate and Race team goals. But it doesn't replace Ford's outgoing GT as America's best.

Now if there is a track spec version with itb's, 180 degree headers and capable abs.  you'd have a bargain that Ferrari couldn't match. And no one would care what it looked like once they are behind the wheel.

adam525i
adam525i Reader
7/19/19 5:34 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:
stanger_missle said:
JG Pasterjak said:

This is a great counter argument to the "traditionalists".

I wish Zora Arkus-Duntov was around today to see his vision come to life sad.

Now imagine that AWD system is actually a Hybrid system like in a current LMP1, that would really blow the traditional Corvette guys away

Adam

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
7/19/19 5:39 p.m.

GM is clearly tired of people swapping LS motors into miatas to make a superior car. Thus they're killing the Camaro, making the Vette midengined and putting massive I4 turbo lumps into Silverados.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
7/19/19 6:05 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:

So the real question:

In the next year it will be only markups!
In 2021 you will be able to get a z51 for $55k OTD and slaughter everyone else on the track. What a time to be alive!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/19/19 6:22 p.m.
Dave M said:
Jordan Rimpela said:

So the real question:

In the next year it will be only markups!

I really wish the manufacturer's would clamp down on these dealer markups. It does nothing but bolster ill will with the majority of people toward the dealership model.

Only the most die hard people are willing to pay 15/20/40% markups over MSRP which just slows sales.

I've already seen a post about a Toyota dealer marketing a new "Zupra" at a $45k dollar markup.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
7/19/19 6:27 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Dave M said:
Jordan Rimpela said:

So the real question:

In the next year it will be only markups!

If people would stop paying them, the dealers would stop doing it.  I know its a bit of a chicken-egg thing.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
7/19/19 7:08 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

The markups are crazy, but the manufacturers can counter them by building supply. That's why a Vette markup will be short lived, while Civic Type Rs, GT350s and their ilk have long lasting markups, and/or rapidly increasing MSRPs.

GM of late has combined overpricing with over estimating demand for their products at the MSRP. So you end up with a fire sale once inventory has built up to unreasonable levels. Hence, silly things happen, like a Vette Grand Sport costing less than a Camaro ZL1.

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
7/19/19 7:08 p.m.

THis is exciting!  Much better value prop than the new Supra, not to mention significantly better looking.

They've really upped the game with this car - 500hp, 0-60 under 3 seconds, 3,300lbs, video/data logger for track.  Amazing!

RossD
RossD MegaDork
7/19/19 8:04 p.m.

I will reliterate: ITBs, flat plane crank and snake bundles for exhaust

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/19/19 8:14 p.m.
te72 said:
Jordan Rimpela said:

So the real question:

Now, that said? What a time to be an enthusiast. Mustangs are great, Corvettes are finally mid-engined, the Supra is as back as we're gonna get, Miatas are still awesome, Dodge sells any number of things with irresponsible power levels... new golden age? I think so.

I like dodges current ethos. We didn't redesign anything, because there's still room in the engine bay of this one for a larger motor. So- here's a larger motor.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
7/19/19 8:21 p.m.

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but I think I  read somewhere that it gets supercruise? Because if so that's awesome. An amazing technology.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/19/19 9:23 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

Supercruise?

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
7/19/19 9:41 p.m.

The z06 and zr1 are gonna be awesome.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
7/19/19 10:00 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Close.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/19/19 10:07 p.m.

So I guess I should go see what a c7 is selling for tomorrow. They will either be trying to give them away or there will be a run on them by those wanting the last of the old style corvette.

cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
7/19/19 11:07 p.m.

I just want to see them use the frunk for progress - like an electric 4wd system similar to the i8. Give me 30 miles of electric only travel and we have a deal.
Business in the front and party in the back. I'd drive that every day.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/20/19 12:04 a.m.
Dave M said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Many have, and it's killed many cars the Focus RS, there were lots of dealers asking $55k for them.

When you could buy a C7 for the price.

And it's killed many cars, you can still find a new Focus RS even though how long did production stop?? It's ruining cars

I would have bought a Focus RS 20 months ago but I couldn't drive one or buy one that didn't cost as much as a base Vette

If you don't think that matters I'm not sure what to stay.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/20/19 12:50 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Respectfully, Dean

It's not hard to find a C7 for under $50K right now. Especially if you want a manual, since those are apparently sitting on the lots.

I just watched Jay Leno's short video about the C8. I like it. More than I did when I first saw the pictures. Especially the rather understated blue car Leno looked at.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
7/20/19 12:56 a.m.

This is my best and only chance to own a current mid engine true sportscar. When they depreciate enough, I may ignore the alarm bells of "old-fart-buys-aVette LOLOL" and at least see what the fuss is about.

bigben
bigben Reader
7/20/19 10:25 a.m.

To me the C8 looks better from the back than the front, probably because it reminds me of the tail of the current Camaro.  Although, I do wish they had brought back the signature round-ish Corvette tail lights. At least they fixed the worst aesthetic of the C7 by detaching the tail lights from the rear panel vents. I can't look at the back of a C7 without seeing Kiss.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
7/20/19 10:32 a.m.

I’m a bit conflicted as I really liked how it came out after hating literally every spy shot...

TopNoodles
TopNoodles New Reader
7/20/19 2:52 p.m.

The nose of the car vaguely reminds me of the 1992 concept car.

Ozzy
Ozzy New Reader
7/20/19 4:41 p.m.

I want love it but no manual is a deal breaker for me.  I still prefer to be involve in driving experience not just a passenger.

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/20/19 5:10 p.m.
Gingerbeardman said:
JG Pasterjak said:

EVERY MID ENGINE CAR WITH A LONGITUDINAL SETUP HAS THIS "GAP".

Valid point, which leads me to the crackpot idea I just thought of. Someone (not me) should make a "ripoff" C8 by taking a wrecked C7 and wedging a transverse V8 in the back. Like, the LS4 from a 2000s Monte Carlo SS. YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

mspeedP5
mspeedP5 New Reader
7/20/19 5:53 p.m.

I'm excited about the advanced PDR! Can't wait for someone to figure out how to upgrade my existing one in my ZL1 1LE! cool

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
7/20/19 6:13 p.m.

I read an article on the internet by one of the developers.

The main reason they went to mid engine was the lack of traction on the front engine cars.  They couldn't keep adding power.

Early development cars used a PDK transaxle.     Developing the new transaxle was the hardest part.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB HalfDork
7/20/19 8:09 p.m.

I have never been the biggest fan of corvettes except for the FRC Z06 so I am yawning a bit at the hype. But I am looking forward to the Italian rebodies of the C8 that will inevitably happen. Your name wouldn’t need to be Glickenhaus to afford a one off Italian beauty.

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
7/20/19 8:38 p.m.
GTwannaB said:

The FRC/Z06 C5 are the only other corvette that I genuinely love (prior to C7, which i do think look good in upper level trims), but I can't get enough on the C8. Super excited to see one in the flesh. I've seen many, many camo-ed cars and was unsure, but I fell in love with the revealed body and colors!

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
7/20/19 9:22 p.m.
iceracer said:

PDK as in a Porsche-developed dual clutch gearbox? How did they make it work? I want to know for... reasons.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/20/19 10:55 p.m.
KurtK01 said:

it's busy, but remember, being mid-engined, it needs the vents to exhaust the air that keeps the engine compartment cool. While you can say that the Mr2 and Fiero didn't have that much venting, they also did not come as a slippery fastback either. I think they will fine tune it, but it's still going to remain perforated with venting no matter what they do

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
7/21/19 2:03 a.m.

In reply to Ozzy :

Go testdrive one. If this gearbox is even in the same ballpark as a PDK in a GT3 is, trust me.... You Will Be Involved.

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
7/21/19 8:13 a.m.

Looks like a Ferrari with a Corvette front end slapped on..

7/21/19 8:41 a.m.
Ozzy said:

Electric power steering that kills feel, drive by wire that controls the engine as an interpretation of what it thinks you think you want, divided by what it is programmed to allow you to have, braking that is closer to brake by wire at this point and has integral handling control... and shifting with a paddle on the steering column instead of an H gate is your hangup?

Horse is waaaay out of the barn, man.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
7/21/19 8:43 a.m.

Ever since the C5 Z06 I've thought "yea, I could own a Corvette", but now I'm finding myself really wanting one and even as a long time manual fanatic, I don't even really care that it doesn't have one.

7/21/19 8:45 a.m.
iceracer said:

I read an article on the internet by one of the developers.

I could swear that I read that in an article about the C6 Z06, in Car and Driver.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/21/19 9:45 a.m.
Ozzy said:

So what you're saying is, "I've never driven a modern dual-clutch gearbox and why are those clouds there!"

MTechnically
MTechnically Reader
7/21/19 9:53 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Are you really going to claim that it's not possible to prefer the driving experience of a manual transmission over a dual clutch?

Don't get me wrong dual clutch transmissions are great and can be engaging when you're really starting to push whatever car is equipped with it. But if you're just cruising around doing a little spirited driving a manual transmission is still much more engaging, in my experience.

Different strokes and all that. A dual clutch transmission isn't a deal breaker for me, but I understand if it is for some.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/21/19 10:18 a.m.
MTechnically said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Are you really going to claim to take things seriously on the internet?

It's a joke, it's just playing around,s I understand all "I prefer manuals" talk. For me, it just depends on the car.

A Miata, BRZ, Mustang GT, sure, I do want a manual (I've owned all 3). A mid-engined supercar meant to be the fastest/baddest on the block? I want the DCT (like I had in my 135i).

7/21/19 10:19 a.m.

In reply to MTechnically :

I don't really see any driving experience difference in any of the transmissions.  Unless your engine has a WRC-like flat horsepower curve, you're always in the wrong gear anyway.  Twin clutch transmissions at least allow you to shift near-instantaneously into a less wrong gear, like a good hydraulic automatic, with the minimal driveline losses of a manual.

Some people like to shave with straight razors, too, even though modern zillion-blade razors work better.  It's the connection with the past that people like, not necessarily the end result.  See also- retro designed everything.

MTechnically
MTechnically Reader
7/21/19 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

You don't see how the experience of perfectly executing a rev matched heel and toe downshift gives you a different sense of satisfaction over just pulling a lever?

Your point about instantaneous shifting and not finding yourself in the wrong gear is related to what I like about manuals. There is stronger negative feedback for "bad" driving. I like the extra challenge that a manual provides.

7/21/19 10:47 a.m.

In reply to MTechnically :

My point about the wrong gear is, unless you have a CVT, you are always in the wrong gear.  (Or even if you have a poorly calibrated CVT)

And no, I get no satisfaction from that, just dissatisfaction if it isn't 100% perfect.  I tolerate manuals because nobody makes a torque converter that will reliably tolerate 10,000 rpm.  Manual transmissions are just so slow.  You have to lift off the throttle every time you upshift or downshift, and unless you melt the clutch, they're slow in traffic too. (And then you need to either upshift to 2nd while that truck is bearing down on you as you make a left turn into traffic, or you scream the engine up to redline in 1st like an shiny happy person and risk getting a street racing ticket)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/21/19 10:52 a.m.
MTechnically said:

In reply to Knurled. :

The old "Not a true a Scotsman" fallacy.

Have you made that perfect "heel/toe" on two wheels? See that's the real enthusiast, that's the real person that enjoys going fast!

See how easy it is to say something that doesn't really make sense?

7/21/19 10:53 a.m.

Now I wonder about a CVT with a manual lever, where the lever position sets the engine RPM.  That'd be pretty cool.

7/21/19 11:01 a.m.

Regarding the idea of a "challenge"... the most fun cars I have ever driven were the ones where I could keep my head outside the car.  The challenge should be the road/course.  There is nothing but frustration in having a car that you know could be faster if only a glaring deficiency wasn't holding you back.

I rode in two very different mind-bogglingly fast cars yesterday - a built STi and a slightly less built Evo X.  The Evo was very fast and the driver was always in the gear he wanted because he could hit the shift lever (steering wheel paddles are a moving target) and the car WILL be kn the gear he wanted, no worrying about having to time the shift while on a straight or something.

The STi just had big-block like torque and absolutely no turbo lag I could feel from the right seat, so he just left it in one gear and drove the course.  No need to waste time shifting once 30 feet or so from the starting line.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/21/19 11:51 a.m.

In recent years I have been softening my "stick shift or die!" attitude. And honestly, having just returned from a couple of days driving western NC/East TN roads (Tail of the Dragon plus others), it's softened even more. Yes, it was fun driving the MINI there and that car is a 6 spd manual, but was it really only fun because of the transmission? No, not really. It's not a race track, so I wasn't pushing the limits of the car or traction to the point where I really needed to heal-toe very often, or even try to. A good manu-matic would have been just as good if not better and probably just as much fun.

So at this point in my life, whether or not a C8 is available with a manual transmission is not something that concerns me. And I am absolutely someone who could consider one of these if I really wanted to readjust my financial priorities. At this point I'm not willing to, but life can change.

MTechnically
MTechnically Reader
7/21/19 11:58 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Yeah, it wouldn't make sense to say that's the only way to enjoy a car or be a real enthusiast. It's a good thing I never said or even implied something like that.

Sounds like the only fallacy being used here is the strawman.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/21/19 12:05 p.m.

Also: You can’t be a REAL <insert south park harley episode nomenclature> unless you’re berkeleying CONSTANTLY revving in neutral/clutch pedal in.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/21/19 1:28 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

Obviously, what's the point of having a V8 if you don't rev it like a Harley at every intersection.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
7/21/19 2:56 p.m.
z31maniac said:
poopshovel again said:

I can't remember where I read it, but pulling both paddles in a C8, at any speed, and in any gear, gives you neutral. Chevy gets it.

Ozzy
Ozzy New Reader
7/21/19 2:59 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Ozzy said:

Nope that's not what I said...  You are obviously much wiser than I so please interrupted it as you want.  Actually my money my choice.  In that $60-$125,000 price range where I assume the new Vettes (GS, Z06, ZR1) will end up there are enough other things I would rather spend my money on, that I can still row thru the gears manually, so the new Vette is off my short list.  Besides with a starting price around $60,000 I can see it ending up like the modern Mustang, Challenger/Charger & Camaro where every other driveway has one.  I prefer to have something a little different.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/21/19 5:02 p.m.
Ozzy said:
z31maniac said:
Ozzy said:

So which $60k-$120k car are you trading your Hyundai in for???

I don’t need to test drive an AT Veloster to tell you that transmission sucks. In your $60k-$120k range, the lines get a little blurrier.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
7/21/19 5:14 p.m.

I think I can settle the debate once and for all. Someone bring a manual C7 and a new C8 to Gingerman, I'll spend a day thoroughly evaluating (for science, of course,) and then report back which is more engaging.

My impressions: From some angles I see a bit of C6 in the front end and I like it.  The Z06 is going to be freakin epic. There are some nice color options.

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
7/21/19 6:07 p.m.

I don’t get why wanting a manual is so controversial all of a sudden.. on an enthusiast board no less. There is a market for that product, and even Porsche head of GT knows that there’s a segment of their customers where technical perfection isn’t the main goal and improving 0.05 seconds just isn’t important.

From his interview recently:

“I think we have an advantage in the market over the competition because everybody has skipped and deleted the atmospheric engine and deleted even the manual gearbox. That’s a mistake! Because if you look at the take rates on the GT model side, in some markets half of the cars are manual and everybody is longing for a car like this with a normally aspirated, high-revving engine,” he enthused.

For buyers of these cars, an engaging drive is important – maybe the most important.

"It’s not an A-to-B means of transportation. It’s something you do for yourself, it’s something you do for pleasure; and in that case it’s a healthy car, it’s like medicine because everybody is grinning and that’s healthy," Preuninger said.

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
7/21/19 6:54 p.m.
mad_machine said:
KurtK01 said:

Not only this, but GM went way way out on a limb with this car, so my assumption is that all the aero stuff, thermal management and vents is to prevent the opportunity for overheating and fires. Like it or not, those vents are there for an actual reason.

The Corvette team does NOT want a Fiero rehash, nor to be compared to all the mid-engine supercars burning to the ground. Let's see, we have Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche GT3, Ferrari 458, McLaren (number soup) etc. example videos that have been recorded on fire.

Between all the bad press they got from overheating Z06 and ZR1 C7's on the track, and the potential negative feedback from current Vette owners with the move to the mid-engine platform, I think the last 5 years of development has been taken as seriously as GM has ever pursued a new platform.

That this is most likely the last hurrah for a high performance ICE platform from any manufacturer before electrification and hybridization become the defacto norm, and that the Corvette name is the most profitable car for GM, indicates to me that they went all-out on this generation.

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
7/21/19 7:04 p.m.

This car has actually made me completely rethink my stance on building my own supercar.  I'm actually contemplating buying a new car for the first time in 2 decades.

This is the car that I wished the C7 had been.  I'm waiting to see how things develop, but I'm actually psyched at the level of performance and potential of this platform.

I've been trying to find a local-ish dealer that is part of the C8 pre-sales tour so that I can see it in person and sit in it. That might be all it takes to push me from the "enthused" to the "committed". My supercar build fund might very well go towards a deposit on the C8...and I'm ok with that. I've never been more excited at the prospect of what the aftermarket comes up with for this car!!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
7/21/19 7:25 p.m.

Did they have any of them driving ?

The blimp hanger is a cool place that goes not get much use anymore ,

I have been to a car show there and they also  had a vintage car race there.....

But lots of room for test drives and a few speed runs !

7/21/19 7:30 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

"That is a sacrifice that I am willing to make!"

300zxfreak
300zxfreak New Reader
7/21/19 8:59 p.m.

I see a perfect example of a thread gone astray.....again.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/21/19 9:33 p.m.
bcp2011 said:

From his interview recently:

That’s totally valid. But again, if Chevy was offering two transmissions, every car, with either transmission, would likely cost more.

I’m sure there was a “Should we offer a manual” discussion, followed by some cost/benefit analysis, and predictions on how many manuals would actually SELL.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/21/19 10:11 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

Hyundai did that with the Genesis (G70?) They offered a manual, knowing full well the auto would out sell it 10 to 1. berkeleying Hyundai!

Brian_13
Brian_13 New Reader
7/21/19 10:20 p.m.

I don't know how much the over-MSRP premium will be, or how long it will last, but if I won a lottery and went into the local Chevy dealer I would not ever expect to buy one for the list base price. Dealers will presumably carry only higher trim levels, just as they do with every other model; the base price is a marketing gimmick, not a product price.

For an example (sorry, not from GM), the Ford Ranger pickup here starts at $31K (and all are 4WD), but everything on the lot is a $50K+ loaded package.

Brian_13
Brian_13 New Reader
7/21/19 10:27 p.m.

If there is ever an AWD version, I think it's safe to assume that it will be a hybrid with electric-only front drive. After going to the extreme of a mid-engine configuration to put weight on the drive wheels, the rear wheels are going to stay the primary drive wheels and driving the fronts would only be for stability control and better regenerative braking. Squeezing a shaft past the engine to the front just isn't worth doing.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/21/19 11:02 p.m.

A hybrid mid engined AWD ZR1 would be interesting. I doubt I would pull the trigger on even a new $60k version unless I had an unexpected windfall. Too much money for me to spend on a toy, but this car does have me interested.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
7/21/19 11:07 p.m.
Knurled. said:

False. When you want to go backwards, you use reverse. That is the only gear for that purpose, hence, it's the right gear. laugh

Anyhow, can we get back to what an amazing performance bargain this is shaping up to be?

Let's rehash this again:

$60k! FOR THAT!  They could probably paint something really offensive on the hood of every one and still move them all out the door.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/21/19 11:16 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

My strategy was to ignore the side conversation about whether or not it is acceptable for someone to have a different opinion than mine so I feel compelled to argue with them because I am sure I can get them to see things my way if I just make up strawman arguments and then rebut them. I see your approach is to try to steer the conversation back to something we can all agree on. I like your spirit, but don’t share your optimism.

te72
te72 Reader
7/21/19 11:31 p.m.
deaconblue said:

In reply to te72 :

Can't see out of them, never been my thing to drive by faith. A car's belt line should not be higher than my actual belt line, and while I'm not tall by any means, I am mostly legs. Great driving cars though, love everything about them other than the poor visibility. Nothing like having 700+hp, in my friend Tony's case, and driving effectively with 3 of 4 windows that are basically useless.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
7/21/19 11:49 p.m.

This is all going to make a 7 spd C7 Z51 a real bargain oh so soon......

te72
te72 Reader
7/21/19 11:49 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Agreed. There is no incentive for a guy like me to buy a new car when it is priced above what the manufacturer says to sell it for. Then again, if the market will bear it, then so be it, I suppose. Just means less overall sales, which... last I checked, is the whole idea of making a car.

I've seen a few ridiculous Mk5 listings as well. Honestly, if you're willing to pay 100k for a Supra, you'd just buy a super clean Mk4. At least it won't likely depreciate.

te72
te72 Reader
7/22/19 12:01 a.m.
Knurled. said:
Ozzy said:

Horse is waaaay out of the barn, man.

Shhh... don't ruin the dream for me too haha. This is one of the few new cars I'll probably seriously consider. Up until now, most cars... I could do better in the garage for the same money, maybe even less. Funny enough, some of the cheapest cars at our autocrosses in Wyoming are among the fastest, so obviously doesn't take money to have fun. That said, I really don't think I could do better than a C8 for that price. Factory Five GTM comes to mind, but "better" is not something I suspect it would be. As fast? Perhaps, if driven quite well.

Either way, I just wanted to comment that I have a ton of newfound respect for you, Knurled, for using a username picture from xkcd's "What If?" series. Made my night.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/22/19 6:41 a.m.

There is a reasonable chance that the choice of transmission has something to do with future hybrid variants. They could certainly still do a manual with ICE cars, as does Porsche, but they can also offer that later.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
7/22/19 8:25 a.m.

One thing to consider about the lack of a manual is that they probably wouldn't get nearly the same 0-60 or 1/4 mile times as the dual clutch car and maybe no launch control either. Those are important metrics to some and show up in just about every magazine test.

7/22/19 11:58 a.m.
RX8driver said:

Hmm...  Clutch by wire?

They already have automatic rev matching for the manuals. (Automatics too!  Still mesmerized by that ZL1 video)  And the dual clutch trans already is programmed to slip the clutch just right, so there's no reason that couldn't be done with a "traditional" manual.  (See also: BMW's fancy automated manual whose name I have forgotten, Smart's ForTwo transmission, which was just a fully automated manual)

At some point, the main difference is what the shifter looks like.

7/22/19 12:03 p.m.
T.J. said:

A hybrid mid engined AWD ZR1 would be interesting.

Give it the ability to tow 20k pounds, seat six, and get 50mpg, and it would hit all the marks for the GRM Perfect Car that Nobody Bought because they waited to buy one used.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/22/19 12:39 p.m.
Knurled. said:
T.J. said:

A hybrid mid engined AWD ZR1 would be interesting.

Don't forget, it has to be brown, a wagon (shooting brake), and cost less than a new Mazda 3!

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
7/22/19 12:47 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Knurled. said:
T.J. said:

A hybrid mid engined AWD ZR1 would be interesting.

And there has to be a diesel option.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
7/22/19 12:49 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:
z31maniac said:
Knurled. said:
T.J. said:

A hybrid mid engined AWD ZR1 would be interesting.

And there has to be a diesel option.

Three on the tree.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/22/19 1:16 p.m.
Knurled. said:
T.J. said:

A hybrid mid engined AWD ZR1 would be interesting.

Wow. Thanks.

7/22/19 3:09 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

I'm merely in awe that these are the times we live in.

We're talking about a car that was the bullE36 M3 session ridiculous idea award winner... and now it's in all likelihood going to be production.  Full stop.

Wow.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
7/22/19 5:16 p.m.

Here's how I'd spec it, with the red interior. Z51 2LT and HRE P101s:

For anyone worried about markups, places like the Kerbeck Corvette Superstore gets HUGE allotments and will most likely be selling them at or near invoice in a few months after introduction... They've done it for the C6 and C7s, as well.

7/22/19 6:53 p.m.

In reply to Chris_V :

From that angle it kinda looks like a 7/4ths scale Europa.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/23/19 7:09 a.m.

In reply to Chris_V :

I like that blue as well, although I'd go with the tan interior:

For those curious, the online builder is here.  It's a bit laggy.

I agree about Kerbeck. They currently show four 2019 Coupes in stock with manuals for just under $45K, although part of the fine print is some of the "Additional Offers" discount applies to "current Corvette owners of at least 30 days". So... go buy a derelict C4 for peanuts and flip it afterwards.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/23/19 8:38 a.m.

I bet the Honda Engineers and management are crying in their morning coffee. The new NSX is already having a hard time. Now here comes the C8, obviously set up for a future electric/hybrid AWD version that will most likely still be way under $100k. That will be the final nail in the NSX’s coffin. It’s already too close in price to a base McLaren and now GM have a platform that looks as good, will eat the NSX for lunch by the time you add another 100-150hp to. The front wheel with electric power at 2/3rds of the price.

Count me in the like column.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/23/19 9:14 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Count me in the like column.

Acura's unoffical selling point on the NSX has been "It's not a double priced Corvette; it's a half priced Ferrari!" With the Corvette now aimed squarely at the "looks and runs like a Ferrari at a faction of the price" market, I'll bet Honda is worried here.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/23/19 9:39 a.m.

It does look good in blue. I'd have the black interior. I also like the transparent roof option:

wspohn
wspohn Dork
7/23/19 11:32 a.m.

Like the blue - if only because the trim they decided to paint black doesn't show up as glaringly (if I had any other colour C8 I'd probably paint the trim body colour.

Disappointing that it is so heavy. Losing a driveshaft = an even heavier car?  Like a quarter ton more than comparable super cars??  They probably  won't sell them at the proposed list price anyway - they'd have been better to have tacked on $10K and put it into lightening the car.

Having said that, I do like it way more than I thought I would based on the test mule pictures. The Transformer toy approach to the aesthetics of the C7 made that one a non-starter for me, but this isn't bad at all.  Still not quite what I'd want ideally, which is probably along the lines of a 600 bhp modern day Miura, but that's probably too much to hope for (although a modern Miura wouldn't weigh 2800 lbs. any more unless they used a lot of modern materials)..

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/23/19 11:43 a.m.

The weight is likely the side effect of meeting that price point. It's still fiberglass with an aluminum chassis.

Throwing out some WAG speculation, the Z06 could have a mild power increase combined with various weight saving changes - more carbon fiber, for example. The ZR1, big power and AWD; maybe using hybrid bits, maybe not (we would need to see what provisions they made with the car on a lift - maybe if/when GRM gets one to test, JG?). The GS, somewhere in between.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
7/23/19 11:44 a.m.

Yes please.

Too bad the suede and cloth don't come in anything other than black or Grey/Black (not that I object to that combo.)

I'm seriously trying to figure out how to rearrange my finances so I can afford one of these new.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/23/19 12:09 p.m.

I'll take mine in the darker red with body color side vents, tan interior, no roof, and yellow calipers.  Just to piss off the Ferrari people.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
7/23/19 12:12 p.m.

I probably wouldn't go with the silver stripes, but I like how they look with the silver engine cover.

This is increasingly looking like my preferred spec when I don't know prices: Zeus Bronze, 2LT, body color accents, Z51, FE4, suede + natural GT2 interior and belts, chrome badging, carbon flash open spoke.

Brian_13
Brian_13 New Reader
7/23/19 12:59 p.m.
KurtK01 said:

I don't think that's likely. Automotive styling usually gets busier with facelifts, not cleaner. And the current trend in general is to silly excess, not elegant simplicity.

Brian_13
Brian_13 New Reader
7/23/19 1:12 p.m.
Gingerbeardman said:

EVERY MID ENGINE CAR WITH A LONGITUDINAL SETUP HAS THIS "GAP".

Excellent point and illustration. My only contribution would be more examples which illustrate the importance of engine packaging to proportions; any list of transverse configurations like this should include the Lamborghini Miura, and even the Ferrari Dino and 308 show their transverse-enabled proportions relative to subsequent Ferrari models. The transverse engine allowed the Ferrari 308 GT4 and Mondial to fit in a rear seat without stretching longer than typical longitudinal 2-seaters.

Brian_13
Brian_13 New Reader
7/23/19 1:23 p.m.
white_fly said:

It seems pretty straightforward. The C8 uses the classic mid-engine layout of longitudinal engine ahead of the rear axle line, and the transmission portion of the transaxle hanging out the back. Any mid- or rear-engine Porsche transaxle has the same layout, although of course the rear-engine units need to be turned around to work (with a corresponding inversion or ring gear flip to go the right direction). Adapters to mount a GM small-block to a Porsche transaxle are readily available, due to demand for custom swaps and kit cars. Halfshaft compatibility is fixed with custom shafts, presumably using Corvette outer joints and Porsche inner. Electronic engine and transmission management would the usual nightmare, so not a problem for GM staff.

Brian_13
Brian_13 New Reader
7/23/19 1:29 p.m.
Knurled. said:

While a fixed-ratio transmission is never in quite the right gear, the solution is not constant or even driver-controlled engine speed, because you would never be at the right engine speed. A good CVT is programed to take the engine to the best speed for the currently requested level of power (accelerator pedal position); the only manual intervention which makes sense is a mode selection to tell it when to vary from the ideal speed to be ready for suddenly higher power demand... such as running the engine speed higher on corner entry than the modest power level needs, to be ready for the higher power in corner exit.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/23/19 6:07 p.m.

After all of the “It’ll have E36 M3ty parts-bin interior” interior predictions, these seats look like a not-bad place to park my ass (at least the driver’s side)

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/23/19 6:10 p.m.

Also, while I dig the brownish-bronzish, the proverbial “NYG” appeals to my inner 90’s gangster rapper sensibilities.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/23/19 6:54 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

I get that, but I’m still hung up on teal with Sawblades.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
7/23/19 11:17 p.m.

I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on this car in Z51 guise for my 50th birthday in about 16 months.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/23/19 11:19 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

They look so good in white!

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
7/24/19 12:27 a.m.

I'm torn between Torch Red and Wimbledon White myself...I think mid engine cars look best in red, but white is just so CLEAN.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/24/19 7:30 a.m.

Nice to see you can get some over the top and obnoxious interior color combinations...

And you can also make the side scoops body colored instead of black.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/24/19 7:45 a.m.

I need to go back and see how much the body colored accents add to the price... I have to admit they do look better.

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
7/24/19 8:16 a.m.

Can't wait to see this in person. Having a hard time understanding scale in photos.  I know it's pretty big and I don't love Corvettes or larger cars, but still, glad they did this.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/24/19 8:54 a.m.

In reply to turtl631 :

I’ve seen a couple amateur videos on instagram that give a better sense of scale. Like the C7, I have a feeling I’m going to like it better in person than in pics.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/24/19 8:56 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:

I wasn’t seriously considering it until last night. I showed Mrs. Poop the “Zeus Bronze.” She is on board surprise

And agreed: White is the hawtness as well.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
7/24/19 9:15 a.m.

I've always said that for a car design to be truly beautiful, it has to look good in white because white shows all body lines. If it looks best in black then the design is weak because black hides body lines. I've always respected Vettes based on my racing a C5 and a turbocharged Z06 but being a Porsche guy and advocate of mid/rear engine cars, I am now a fan of the C8. What GM has done is incredible and I can see the average age of Vette owner getting lowered a little with this car.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/24/19 9:27 a.m.

The “visualizer” tool is fun. While Zeus Bronze is still a contender, I dig the Arctic White & Blade Silver Metallic, too.

Z51 package, black trident wheels, black optional spoiler & mirrors. YASSS PLZ!

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/24/19 9:44 a.m.

Ceramic Matrix Gray is my favorite color with a little red bling and a wing.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/24/19 10:00 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

Agreed. I see quite a few C7's on the road and they definitely seem to look better in person than in pictures.

For scale, Motor Trend did a comparison to the Ford GT (current) and noted the C8 is actually a bit shorter.  And after watching the Leno video about the car, it doesn't come across as being particularly large.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
7/24/19 10:20 a.m.

A lot of naysayers on another forum I visit are now putting down deposits and the general feelings toward the car have changed significantly after the release of the configuration and pricing.  Sounds like it’s being well received.

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/24/19 11:33 a.m.
Mike
Mike SuperDork
7/24/19 6:31 p.m.

I wish we had pricing. I've reached out to two dealers to get the process started.

Anyone else not sure they want a Z51 pack? I'm starting to think non-Z51 and 2LT instead of Z51 and 1LT.

This is to be a four season car, and I think my ideal but expensive choice would go Z51+FE4+snows, followed by the standard car. The wing looks like a pain for trunk access anyhow. That's the first thing I'll check if the tour comes to Chicago.

I'm wanting some of the purchase experience things, like the R8C museum delivery and number plate set. Maybe take the PIN RPO to get Dad's '53 serial put in the VIN. Maybe see about the track experience too.

Edit: PIN was, based on prior generations, a $5000 option. I'll take a random VIN.

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
7/24/19 7:56 p.m.
Mike said:

Love it - I drove my C6 Z06 in winter here in Milwaukee on base C6 sized wheels with Michelin Alpin PA4.  Even drove in some actual snow storms with a couple inches accumulating on 94.  It did well enough...I never got stuck.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/24/19 8:13 p.m.

Apparently a friend of a friend saw one of these in the wild already. (Not /THAT/ surprising since he does live in Bowling Green) might be delivery blocks still in place but it looked like it rode unreasonably high.

Edit: added the stolen Facebook pic.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
7/24/19 8:34 p.m.

Calling it now... someone will go to a baseball game in their vette, store the speedbumps in front of the stadium in the GPS, and then, six months later, have the axle lifter trigger in an autocross in stadium parking lot. The front end will come up while navigating a sub-25mph Chicago box at some corner of the course.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
7/24/19 9:13 p.m.

In reply to Mike :

Best autocross loss excuse ever.

I'm split on the Z51 package. On one hand I want the extra cooling on the other; how often will it really be put to use?

I guess it'll depend on how much the package costs in most cases, but it would be a highly interesting head to head (hint hint editors)

Opti
Opti Dork
7/25/19 8:53 a.m.

In reply to The0retical :

In the past I would have always chosen the performance options over comfort and livability options, but I was having this exact conversation with a co-worker yesterday.

I think the limits are so high on this one I'd probably be happy with a base and nicer interior.

Ideally I'd want the 2LT and Z51 but then it might become a 70k car and I'm just a pheasant.

I was wonderingr if I track a base model or autox it and something happens will it be covered or will it be like the crammit where only the 1LE is covered.

Also how much is the gearing and ediff gonna make a difference, cause let's be realistic, im going to drag race it all the time. I mean I have a Miata that's been to one autox but has made probably 40 drag passes, and it's not even fast.

Kreb
Kreb UberDork
7/25/19 9:37 a.m.
loosecannon said:

I'm really interested in how this plays out. I forsee some traditional Vette guys not being willing to embrace the change, but with luck they'll be more than offset by a new crop that's never previously considered the car.

Frankly I think that this puts pressure on many of the absurdly expensive exotics. "Let's see. Explain again why your $500K car is superior to a $75K Vette that's just as fast and doesn't cost me the price of a Hyundai every time it breaks."

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/25/19 9:49 a.m.

In reply to Kreb :

Perhaps, but folks who tend to buy new Italian exotics do so because the high cost to purchase and maintain and the exclusiveness that brings is what they want. It's the same line of thinking that makes some with the means pay exorbitant dealer mark-ups for early cars.

MTechnically
MTechnically Reader
7/25/19 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Kreb :

I think you are right about the C8 drawing in more new customers than pushing away Corvette die hards, or at least I think it's within the realm of possibility. But I think you might have the wrong idea when it comes to how it's going to affect the rest of the market.

I absolutely think that the C8 is going to put pressure on its direct rivals like the NSX, 911, or GT-R, but I don't think it will be doing much to the 720S' and Aventadors of the world. The reality is that part of the reason people buy those cars is simply because they can. These are the people that buy S and G65 AMG's when the 63's are buy all accounts better vehicles. The C8 is insane value for performance, but some people have completely different ideas of what constitutes value.

Edit: I think the more possible scenario would be these people actually considering the C8 as part of their fleet. It's less likely a case of "one or the other" but "both and" when it comes to those types.

Kreb
Kreb UberDork
7/25/19 10:05 a.m.

In reply to MTechnically :

IRT the exotics, you're probably right. But I think of a well-heeled friend who changed over from Ferraris to Porsches. At a certain point he said basically "Why am I paying this huge ego tax?"  You're always going to have your Saudi prices buying their Paganis, but a certain - probably small segment is going to ask "As a smart guy, why am I buying a stupid car?"

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
7/26/19 8:48 a.m.

I heard it is going to be at Corvettes in Carlisle next month.  Definitely might be worth taking my boys (3 year old twins) over for a look.  I wonder if they (GM) will put it in the parade through town.  For the Ford Nationals, Ford had a whole fleet of vehicles that they brought out for the parade, surely GM could drive one C8.

JimS
JimS Reader
7/26/19 1:36 p.m.

It will have to have a much nicer interior to get me out of my 911. I've also owned a number of GM cars to question  it's quality. It'll be fast but numbers aren't everything, especially for a street car.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
7/26/19 2:11 p.m.
JimS said:

The thing is, a 911 isn't a $75-80k car anymore. The 2020 911 has a starting MSRP over $113k. And that's before Porche's infamous options are tacked on. It better be one hell of an interior to justify that $50k+ price difference with the C8. If Porche 911 buyers are even considering the Corvette that's a big win for GM.

For $113k, One could buy a C8 and a Camaro SS 1 LE and still have a few thousand left for track consumables, or extra sound deadening or whatever. Or they could wait for the faster, more expensive Vettes to come along in a year or two.

7/26/19 2:24 p.m.

The Corvette seems like it could be similarly priced to a 718 Cayman, the least-expensive sports car that Porsche currently offers. That's impressive.

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/26/19 2:45 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

At that point the only draw of the Porsche are the badge and the Manual. Which are relevant.

I'll be curious to see how the features of a 718 Cayman S and C8 Z51 stack up against each other  dollar for dollar. I'm sure the Porsche will be more expensive..  But how much is the real question.

‚Äč

JimS
JimS Reader
7/26/19 5:27 p.m.

You don't have to buy a new 911. I chose a used 911 over a new C7 and have no regrets. As I said before I've owned a lot of GM cars and my son has a Cayman S and I have a 911 and all I can say is you get what you pay for. I know performance wise the Corvette is a lot of bang for the buck but there's more to a car than numbers.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
7/26/19 5:36 p.m.
JimS said:

You must have a much newer 911 than I do.  My 80s era 911 interiors are nothing to write home about,  even my past 993 and 996.  Then again I don’t buy my sports cars based on the interior.  I personally really like the c8 and think it would be a nice complement to my German and Italian sports cars,  but I also like variety,  so ymmv.

JimS
JimS Reader
7/26/19 5:59 p.m.

I agree. I have 991 and my son's is a 981. I don't buy for an interior but you need to be comfortable and feel good. I also like variety. I had an s2000 before my 911, a z28 before that, a couple gti's, an rx7 etc. I happen to like the simplicity of the interiors of early 911's. I just think most cars are over styled today. Everyone have different tastes and likes and I respect everyone's opinion. I think the car will be a big success.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
7/26/19 6:20 p.m.

I haven't read every comment in this thread but with the C8 now in the same league as the Ford GT, will it have crazy resale value like the GT has? If you want an American made, mid engine supercar (yes, I'm calling them supercars) would you rather have a V8 or twin turbo V6? I can't wait to see next years IMSA and WEC races against these two

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
7/26/19 6:20 p.m.
JimS said:

I like the simplicity of the 911 interiors too,  but it’s things like the hvac controls that crack me up.  For the heat and ac there are three different control panels to adjust them in the 80s cars if you have ac.  I’m fine with that,  you get used to the quirks,  but these days people would lose their minds over that type of thing.  Back then you were just happy to have even mediocre ac (at best) in an AC 911. laugh

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/27/19 6:44 a.m.
loosecannon said:

Doubtful. One reason for the high GT resale values is the limited production numbers. Once production gets going, Chevy will build more C8s in a month than the entire (current) GT production run over a few years.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
7/27/19 11:29 a.m.

Zora is smiling like a Cheshire cat right now

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
7/27/19 11:43 a.m.
Cotton said:
JimS said:

^^^ I have an 86 Cabrio, fiddled with the HVAC controls when I first got it and got frustrated. Never tried to use the heat or AC afterward.

7/27/19 12:10 p.m.
Kreb said:

That's a feature, not a bug.

You're looking at exotics as a tool to go fast.  The true purpose of an exotic is to show off how much play-money you have.  Or at least, how much play-money you want other people to think you have.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
7/27/19 2:09 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Kreb said:

That's a feature, not a bug.

Some people buy them because they want an amazing sports car.  Weren’t you the one that said not to judge a double parking Camry owner?  Lol

7/27/19 3:14 p.m.

In reply to Cotton :

I'm speaking of generalities, not absolutes smiley

This forum in particular should be familiar with the idea of speed being cheap if you are more concerned with having fun than impressing other people.

And to be fair to the exotics, if they couldn't perform, they wouldn't be all that much of a status symbol.

lpw6BPP7kuIagrb7Tf9jKdMrK31d7Gzl5dsYhiyueETFGHsMtb8hPzTxFEmw9H67