Have a rare or desirable car? Share it. | Column

David S.
By David S. Wallens
Jun 22, 2022 | Radwood, Column, The Amelia | Posted in Columns | From the May 2022 issue | Never miss an article

The ’80s were fun. I remember them fondly. We had the best cars, the best music, the best times. We beat the Russians both on and off the ice.

Who cares if we didn’t have the internet or iPhones? We had three networks plus MTV. And really, we were out exploring all of creation on our BMX bikes.

Tim and Margie launched this magazine during that decade, with the first issue carrying a date of November/December 1984. Performance had returned, with the malaise era finally giving rise to 5.0 Mustangs, turbo Buicks and hot hatches.

A Rabbit GTI might have made only 90 horsepower, but it could still deliver world-class performance. And for those who wanted more, the burgeoning performance scene offered Callaway turbos, sticky Yokohamas and sport-tuned Konis.

1984 also gave us a wisecracking Detroit detective let loose in Beverly Hills, three Ghostbusters set to save New York City, and a cyborg assassin who didn’t feel pity or remorse or fear. Then add in legendary releases from the likes of Prince, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen and Iron Maiden.

Into that year, I would return.

Time machine?

No, Radwood.

After watching from the sidelines, I finally did my first Radwood earlier this year. When show officials added one for The Amelia weekend–walking distance from the famed Florida showfield–I announced my plans: in.

For more than 25 years, The Amelia has been the place to see some of the world’s most storied cars. If it’s there, it has a tale to tell, whether it’s a Le Mans-winning Ferrari, a factory prototype or a custom one-off from the world’s most legendary builders. Instead of just one Ferrari 250 GTO–now worth tens of millions–how about a whole class of them? We’re talking about sharing the world’s most valuable cars with an eager public–all with no ropes, no special connection required.

Which car would I bring to Radwood? That was easy: our 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera wearing era-appropriate Yokohama A008 tires. To complete the vibe, it also sported some period-correct SCCA and IMSA GT stickers–thank you, Decal Shop, for the hookup.

On the dash sat a recent eBay score, a mint Cobra radar detector picked up for the princely sum of $15.50. The shipping cost nearly as much, but the sting faded the moment I saw the copyright date on the owner’s manual: 1984.

Now, to literally top it all off: a BMX bike from the era, a reissued Skyway frame I had built up several years ago to resemble a skate park bike from, coincidentally, 1984. Craigslist and an open-box special provided the necessary Thule hardware to mount the bike to the Porsche’s gutters.

[Rad car, rad bike, Radwood | Project Porsche 911 Carrera]

The Thursday evening before shoving off for Amelia Island, I felt like it all needed one more detail: the proper license plates. So I dug through the stack in my garage and, miraculously, came across a pair of New York plates from the first half of the ’80s. I’d be carrying a piece of home with me.

But what to wear? Not all of us were into neon, popped collars and Members Only jackets. I’d be the day’s minor note. Agent Orange provided our skate punk soundtrack, so I wore one of their caps along with a T-shirt representing Curb Dogs, the San Francisco BMX freestyle team that blew up the scene during the summer of ’84. On my feet were my usual Vans high-tops.

At 4:45 the morning of the event, I headed north for Amelia Island. By 7:30 a.m., show officials had me parked on the field, the rig was clean, and I could (finally) relax and welcome guests.

I saw a lot of people that day–GRM forum regulars, fellow BMXers and even John Oates, a guy who contributed much to the ’80s soundtrack. (Hall & Oates’ 1984 release “Big Bam Boom” spent an astonishing 51 weeks on the Billboard 200.)

Since the event–and the announcement that Hagerty had purchased Radwood–I’ve heard more than a few people lament that they’ll never get to enjoy the cars of the ’80s. It’s all going mainstream, they say, with prices to follow suit. Cars will be locked away.

Yes, true, values for perfect examples of significant cars have gone up. Credit supply, demand and a sad lack of time machines. Hopefully, however, those cars are going to owners willing to share with the rest of the class. I could have skipped Radwood and left my car, bike and extras back home, but what’s the fun in that?

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Radwood, Column and The Amelia articles.
Comments
Dwight
Dwight New Reader
4/29/22 8:18 a.m.

I own a 1982 Porsche.

I have   owned for almost 20 years. I have had problems getting it back on the road. Finally, it runs well. I have tried to sell it over and over. As I have several other collector cars. The last offer was for $8K .

A  guy came with his 16 year old son. Looked the car over and left. Soon sent me a text and offered $1200.00!  And since I have well over $6K in the car, I turned down.

Why is this?

Simple. It is a despised car. It is  924 turbo.  FRONT ENGINE , REAR TRANSAXLE AND IS WATER COOLED.  SOME WILL SAY, IT'S NOT A REAL PORSCHE. It was designed for VW. Yet it has the same brakes and suspension as a 911! It has 150 HP. which was good  for a 2 litre engine in 1982.

So what to do?

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
4/29/22 9:08 a.m.

I think my car is desirable - 91 turbo MR2

Get lots of comments and such about it regularly and it looks rough (needs paint).

I love that thing

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/29/22 10:48 a.m.

In reply to Dwight :

I think your car is cool. I'd hold onto it and hopefully enjoy it, pretty much every other Porsche has gone up like crazy so maybe your 924 Turbo is next. I'm sure there are a decent amount of people out there that unloaded an old Porsche and now look at what they are worth and wish they had held on.

ian sane
ian sane Dork
4/29/22 10:49 a.m.

Rare? 1500ish made that year.

Desirable? Eh. Kind of?

My '91 trans am convertible is in that weird spot where it's really an 80s relic but had that GM "refresh" to bring it's style into the 90s. Don't get your mullet caught in your fanny pack kind of thing. But I've had it for just under 20 years so I'm definitely sticking with it.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/22 11:33 a.m.

Rare? Not at all when new

Desirable? To about a few dozen crazies in the lower 48.

Share with class? Who wants to take an autocross fun run in a 93 Escort GT, think of it as a 2 door protege LX of the same vintage with a much cooler grill and hatchback sensibilities.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
4/29/22 11:43 a.m.

Mine is more of a rarely seen model (Datsun 1200); while it is a 70s car we bought it in 1984. We were broke 20 soemthings and the car could be had for $270.

Did a few road trips to things like Oingo Boingo's New Years Eve show in Long Beach.

This grainy pic is from back in the day.

manindandism
manindandism
4/29/22 11:47 a.m.

First post --

I own a 1995 Nissan Skyline GTR VSpec, a 1991 Toyota MR2 with a 3VZFE V6 swap, and a 1982 Saab 900s.

None of these were particularly rare when new, but would be considered as such from my neck of the woods today. I would say each is desirable to the groups of people to which they appeal.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
4/29/22 11:54 a.m.

We also have a Radwood Era race car, a 1987 Novakar F500.

Formula 500 started in the early 80s as F440 using snowmobile engines and went to 500cc engines in the early to mid 90s.

This is the car number 3 of the original 6 that Ford engineer Jay Novak built.  Anything that's the size of a golf cart and goes 140 mph has to be rad.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
4/29/22 11:57 a.m.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but the only car I have that is desirable is probably the Samurai. It draws a lot of comments and thumbs-ups.

20150907_110122_zpsjpyefysj.jpg

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/29/22 11:59 a.m.

1999 Honda Prelude Type SH.  Maybe not too unusual, but the Type SH version is relatively rare.  And people seem to like it.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/29/22 12:12 p.m.

Rare? Not really, but they are rarely seen on a typical commute. Too many people went 2 fast and 2 furious with them over the decades...

Desirable? Definitely, to some, but often overlooked by certain types. I believe the 2 seat, twin turbo, manual transmission is the proper configuration to tip it towards sport versus touring.

Share? To those who don't know me: the key is in the ignition, don't bother being gentle with her because I sure as hell aint! Warm her up a little, cool her down a bit... but dont sweat it broken parts can always be replaced.

I am planning on taking my '91 300ZXTT to my first Radwood in a few weeks and am looking forward to it. I've had it less than a year but I really enjoy the driving experience of it. Everything feels very direct and analogue, all of the switches need to be activated by the driver and the infotainment system just plain doesnt exist!

Personally, I dont love to show off much and am new to having a shiny car with fancy rims parked in the VIP section... mostly I want to show my daughter all of the cool cars the I remember from back in the day that I used to drool over, lose races to or show my tail lights to back when cars where cooler and I was kinda rad.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/29/22 12:13 p.m.

That seems to be my trend for the last two years, have a bunch of "rare" cars at this point, all run, but do need various levels of restoration.

Most recent pickup is a 1972 Citroen SM.

1977 Lancia Scorpion (found here on the GRM forum)

1980 TR8

Less rare, but still fun are the 1973 914 (recently restored), 2nd 914 is a 914/6 tribute project, also have an X1/9 and a GT6 project, and the MR2 V6 that is current for sale and my turbo Spitfire.... might have too many cars.....

mr2peak
mr2peak Dork
4/29/22 3:43 p.m.

They seem more desirable every day.

My '97 Bathurst X with a few RZ and Spirit R parts, Re-A widebody, maxed-out twins, all new suspension and some other goodies. Like most FDs it's due for a rebuild, and will soon be blessed with an EFR single.

Stock cars are great to look at and reminisce , but I'll choose to drive modded every day I live.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
4/29/22 4:05 p.m.

'86 Fiero GT fastback 4spd is the rarest of my cars

GeddesB
GeddesB Reader
4/29/22 5:03 p.m.

I think they imported 269 of these with the factory supercharged option.  It was featured here: Classic Motorsports Article.  I bought it a month after the feature and didn't see it in the magazine until after I had it.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
4/29/22 7:11 p.m.

In reply to tb :

I'll have to look for you at Radwood Philly as though we talked and I bought a car from you we have never met.  I'm bringing the NSX and 84 Vette.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/29/22 7:37 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

Definitely, I'll keep an eye out for you as your cars are pretty distinctive and desirable, too. I showed my daughter an NSX  recently and she was blown away that the enging was in the back!

My memory is full of holes these days but I think we met at the challenge sometime around 2010ish? My cell is still:

2 one 5 2 eight 0 0 seven three 0

If you are searching for me there

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/29/22 7:50 p.m.

one of 35 lapis blue 97 neon acr that my daughter and i fully restored

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/29/22 8:21 p.m.

I'd say all my cars are somewhat rare. The 190e sportline being the rarest age the XJR being the most common but none of them are particularly desirable. A manual w108 is rare but it's a low trim inline model so not desirable.

Oh and I have an 87 Conquest sitting in a lot in California. The property owner recently asked when I'm coming for my cars to which I said "cars? You mean car?" And he replies "your 88 Starion is here too". I COMPLETELY FORGOT THAT HE WAS HOLDING TWO CARS FOR ME FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS! surprise

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
4/29/22 8:26 p.m.

This is one of 150, all built in December of 1993 as the 1994 BMW 325is. The M Technic was built as a proff of concept for BMW USA, someone needed to be convinced that the M3 would sell in the american market.

Mine is a 205,000 mile, driver.  This shot is me at Laguna Seca, headed down the cork screw.  Yes, this is really that fun. Really.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/29/22 8:29 p.m.

I have some neat stuff but I can't really speak to rare or desirable.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/29/22 8:58 p.m.

My Rampage is pretty rare really, MR2 is less rare but still cool

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
4/29/22 9:17 p.m.

I like rare cars, usually doesn't equate to desirable though.

1 of 2800 total

1 of 1800 that year

1 of 48 so optioned (according to 128addicts)

In the past I've owned three 2.3 16v 190e, a few AMG built Mercedes, an individual 528it sport manual, a 67 Triumph 2000, a special order 97 Dakota R/T, a triple blue 91 944 S2 cab, etc...etc...

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/29/22 9:31 p.m.

Mine is fairly rare.  E46 2006 330ci ZHP.  140k mile driver quality car with auto trans, so no doubt less desirable than its stick counterparts.  However the car has been well cared for throughout its life and has both decent power and handles well.

I think the color and overall design are absolutely beautiful.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/30/22 12:01 a.m.

My 1996 Camaro SS might be a one of a kind based on options, but I don't think anyone really cares.  I'm going to do my own thing with it because collectibility went away about 100k miles ago.

mr2peak
mr2peak Dork
4/30/22 3:20 a.m.
yupididit said:

We are gonna need pics. I remember the last Starion I saw in the wild, it was back when I still had a mk1 MR2, so 2006-7? These things just faded away. Was parked near the top of a winding California mountain road on a pullout, looked perfect sitting there in it's white square fendered glory

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/30/22 6:11 a.m.

Rare? Only imported into USA for one year. Desirable? Well, only imported into the country for one year, so that answers that.

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart wagon. It's been a reliable daily driver for me since 2010, and has served as a backup/bad weather autocross car. I finished second in H Street at the cold and wet Florida state championship in 2020. Edit: 2021.

It's now my son's daily.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
4/30/22 3:27 p.m.

My tow pig is the fairly rare quadrasteer suburban.  Probably not terribly desirable.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
4/30/22 3:28 p.m.

since it's a one of one, the Zoomboni is my rarest ride.

You tell me if it's actually desirable.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/30/22 3:43 p.m.

Nothing more radwood than a 1993 VW Corrado, with all the OEM+ Euro parts!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/30/22 3:55 p.m.

My 1960 El Camino

There were only 14,000 made, but that was 60 years ago. Very few remain.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/30/22 4:17 p.m.
SV reX said:

My 1960 El Camino

There were only 14,000 made, but that was 60 years ago. Very few remain.

In 1975, there was one of these abandoned on the railroad right of way that was complete except for the four barrel, air cleaner and seats.

I had to send a letter to the DMV to find out who was the registered owner. I got the phone number, and talked to his mother. He was out of the country and had no interest in helping me get the title. I'm sure it got crushed eventually.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/30/22 4:52 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

See no one cares.  But let's show how rare this one is since I found the numbers again.  In 96 SLP made 2410 SS's for GM.  The SS is a 2 sticker car.  Mine had all SLP options available in Feb 96.  All of them.

Total cars = 2410
The total of 2263 is for U.S. cars only and the total 2410 is for both U.S. and Canada.
147 were built for Canada.

Red = 831 or 36.72 %
Coupe = 690 or 30.49 %
6-Speed = 1496 or 66.11 %
Exhaust = 2072 or 91.56 %
Torsen = 1263 or 55.81 %
Suspension = 905 or 39.99 %
Hurst Shifter = 1354 or 90.51 % (of 6-spd cars)
Floor Mats = 1947 or 86.03 %
Car Cover = 1221 or 53.95 %
R1 Tires = 93 or 4.11 %

Mine did not get the oil cooler since it was not an option until mid-year.  Having the R1 tires on a separate set of wheels and being a slick top with all of the other options the car could be 1 of 1 or very few.  The extra wheels and car cover are long gone but the SLP 2nd sticker matches their database and the car is verified legitimate.  I got it for cheap too.  I'm going to build a drag and drive car out of it and enjoy it, but no one cares about rare 4th gens.

5/3/22 11:11 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I remember the press materials mentioning the second set of wheels for a set of R1s. That's pretty hardcore.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/4/22 9:47 a.m.

To me, options don't make a car rare. If I have a Camry that came from the factory painted pink, it's just a normal car painted weird.

IMO, a rare car is defined by production runs. And probably production runs over time.

A common car that is optioned well is just that.  A rare car that is also optioned well does make it both rare and more desirable.

There were only 5674 Miatas produced in 2011. That doesn't make Miatas rare.

ian sane
ian sane Dork
5/4/22 10:50 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

Quadrasteers always blow my mind in parking lots.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
5/4/22 12:22 p.m.

Rare, yes, desirable, maybe.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
5/4/22 12:32 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
SV reX said:

My 1960 El Camino

There were only 14,000 made, but that was 60 years ago. Very few remain.

I was blown off the road in the early '00's by an extremely cute, heavily tattooed, goth girl who winked as she went passed in her black '60 Chevy that was smoking out of both pipes.  That's my only '60 Chevy story and what I think about every time I see one.

Opti
Opti Dork
5/4/22 1:16 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I do. I think what you meant was no one cares about rare lt1 powered 4th gen. Im seeing crazy stuff for ls1 and lt4 powered cars.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
5/4/22 1:20 p.m.

None of mine are rare, I think they're all (at least somewhat) desirable!

1998 Camaro LS1/T56 with T-Tops. Fun to blast around in!

1975 Datsun 280z

1975 Ford Courier.

I need to get the '75s back on the road.. the Courier used to draw so much attention, everyone knew someone who had one. I think it's a great fleet. If they were all running, the Camaro would be the first to go. But it's the only one running, so I'll keep it for at least this summer :)

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
5/4/22 1:22 p.m.

Technically my 6 speed manual Outback is rare.................it's also desirable to me.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/4/22 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

I don't think many care about those either but the few that do drive up prices.  I've seen GMMG cars and LS1 Firehawks that don't sell fast lately.  There just isn't much demand for rare 4th gens.  But you are right, no one cares about the LT1 cars.  I was actually looking for a Firehawk when this car fell in my lap.  Now I figure it's my job to save it.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/4/22 1:29 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

The funny thing about it though is people that don't really know cars they want to talk about it.  I hear so many my friend had a Camaro stories now.....  only my 3rd gen Vette got more attention from the average person.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/4/22 1:50 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
SV reX said:

My 1960 El Camino

There were only 14,000 made, but that was 60 years ago. Very few remain.

Flat top or bubble top?

IIRC, 1960 wsa the only year that had both.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/4/22 4:32 p.m.

My '78 Crossle 32f is fairly rare.  While the 32f had one of the largest production runs from the manufacturer they only made it for two years (77-78) and only built 140 cars in that time.  Since they're 44 year old race cars there aren't too many of them still around.

My motorcycle is not as rare (and also, not a car) but still somewhat unusual.  It's a 1983 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo.  Also the second year from a two year run.  Yamaha made 5,500 the first year and 1,500 the second.  I bought mine new in the crate as a 5 year old leftover in '88.  Here it is shortly after I bought it.

Here it is after I did a full restoration with some updates in 2015.

That's pretty much what it looks like now although it's showing some wear and tear since I ride it regularly.

5/4/22 4:45 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Out of all of the Formula Fords, the 32F has to be one of the prettiest.

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
5/4/22 6:25 p.m.

I have a bone stock 2012 Honda Crosstour. Uncommon, not desirable.

I won't bother you all with a pic.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/4/22 6:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to APEowner :

Out of all of the Formula Fords, the 32F has to be one of the prettiest.

Thanks.  I've always liked them. They're also pretty darn good race cars.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/4/22 9:33 p.m.

I have an '88 BMW 325iX, they weren't necessarily rare but production was limited.

I also have an '86 BMW M535i which is pretty rare, at least in the US.

I also have a '61 Pontiac Bonneville with a tripower engine and a four speed transmission which make it pretty unusual.  It also came from the factory with special order paint colors, so that most likely makes it a 1 of 1 car.

Opti
Opti Dork
5/4/22 10:00 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

My C5 got a ton of attention. My 4th gen got attention from other 4th gen owners, and generally only to try and set up a race.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
5/4/22 10:07 p.m.

not sure how rare, but an 01 330ci 5 speed seems fairly desirable based on what others have said.  I had a 323GTX, a Matrix XRS 6 speed, C3 Corvette......

LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
5/4/22 10:08 p.m.

Both of my track/fun cars are oddballs.

My racecar is an '87 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 "Cosworth." All the expense and maintenance of an E30 M3 with 0% of the aftermarket support. My new hillclimb car is a '94 Mitsubishi Lancer GSR Evolution II. Again, practically zero support for this platform; and whatever information you can find is in Japanese.

karplus2
karplus2 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/5/22 2:02 p.m.

Desirable...meh but it is pretty rare. Less than 300 made with 3 pedals.

jh36
jh36 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/7/22 6:11 a.m.

Pretty rare and unusual in my neck of the woods. 1939 RR Wraith Park Ward Limo, WXA-99. One of the last cars they rolled out before WWII.
It has an electric divider, suspension oiling from the driver's seat ...it had onboard hydraulic jacks which someone unfortunately removed at some point.
It is a precise machine and fun to turn a wrench on.

footinmouth
footinmouth Reader
5/7/22 7:19 a.m.

my 2001 tacoma flare side , I've seen 3 in 20 years and only 1 that was a 2wd .

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
5/7/22 11:33 a.m.
footinmouth said:

my 2001 tacoma flare side , I've seen 3 in 20 years and only 1 that was a 2wd .

That looks great!

mdshaw
mdshaw GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/7/22 12:16 p.m.

My 76 CVCC wasn't rare when made but not many around now. This one has a very high winding 11:1 D16Z6, lsd, BCR's, 4x100 & home brew rear discs.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/7/22 12:32 p.m.

I have a 1969 Triumph GT6. I'm not sure if it qualifies as rare, but certainly not common.

sevenracer
sevenracer Reader
5/7/22 1:30 p.m.

My  submission.

Pretty rare - less than 3000 coupes made for N America. Desirable? People seem to love or hate the styling.

LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
5/7/22 4:12 p.m.

In reply to sevenracer :

Put me down in the "love it" column

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/7/22 4:32 p.m.
jh36 said:

It is a precise machine and fun to turn a wrench on.

Beautiful!

jh36
jh36 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/7/22 9:23 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Thank you!  I feel fortunate to be watching over her. She oozes of history and uncompromised design. The tolerances on it are amazing. I would enjoy showing any GRM'er a tour of her.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/7/22 10:03 p.m.
LanEvo said:

Both of my track/fun cars are oddballs.

Love the cosworth and love that somebody is racing it. It's such a good looking sedan!

MiniDave
MiniDave New Reader
5/7/22 11:49 p.m.

73 Mini Innocenti 1300 Export, Belgian built -  rare - well, now maybe. Not many made and few survive. Desirable? I think so anyway.....

Green one in the background is also somewhat rare, also Belgian built, but for the German market. Both LHD

sergio
sergio HalfDork
5/8/22 4:59 p.m.

Last year of the FB. 85 GSLSE

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/8/22 5:43 p.m.
footinmouth said:

my 2001 tacoma flare side , I've seen 3 in 20 years and only 1 that was a 2wd .

Today I learned these existed. Neat truck.

infernosg
infernosg Reader
5/9/22 3:30 p.m.

Mazda made hundreds of thousands of 1st gen RX7s but I've always thought of the first two years as rarer. Lots of incremental changes make the early cars interesting/unique. The 79s got the ancient points ignition whereas you could get the LS trim in 1980. I'm told mine is somewhat rare being Spark Yellow and having no sunroof despite being the GS trim. Desireable? Not sure about that as these cars have a somewhat dubious reputation outside of the rotary scene. Mine is a very early VIN from the first month of production, though (March '78).

jmc14
jmc14 HalfDork
5/9/22 7:08 p.m.

Today was beautiful in upstate NY and VT.  I had business in Brandon, VT.  I drove from Elizabethtown, NY to Brandon. Stopped in Middlebury for A&W lunch. I drove a car that I built almost 20 years ago.  It has a 4 inch round tube based frame, C4 Corvette suspension, Chevy ZZ4  engine (has Vortec heads now) and a body that my buddies and I shaped, made molds and the fiberglass body.

I had a good day!

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
5/10/22 1:05 a.m.

I've got a rare car that is desirable. The problem is that it's so rare that it's only desirable to a few people. It seems to have mostly avoided the spike in interest in '80's and '90's cars, despite being the rally homologation special cousin to one of the more popular tuner cars of the '90's.

My Subaru Legacy GT Wagon falls into pretty much the same camp. Rare one year only turbo wagon, but the only thing super rare about it is the transmission choice. Unlike the Galant VR4 where pretty much everything under the sheet metal is different than a regular Galant, including the unibody.

footinmouth
footinmouth Reader
5/10/22 7:11 a.m.

In reply to chandler :

Thank you and  I'm the only truck at track days.

LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
5/10/22 9:52 a.m.

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

There's a Galant VR-4 that's been sitting in the lot of a local gas station for the last 3-4 years. I've offered to buy it twice, and the owner snapped at me like he was offended I was asking. I'll try again one last time this summer.

IKR
IKR New Reader
6/22/22 12:39 p.m.

I just had to hang on to my 1990 Integra. While I could pass smog at tailpipe and had all the smog equipment functioning  my 1990-91 B16A JDM motor was called out by the smogman. I have a built 1992-93 GSR engine (B17A) that I'll drop in this summer. I love the car no matter what but I'll attend Radwood and other car events to share it with others as I'm curious to see if there's interest in this model.

nedc
nedc Reader
6/22/22 1:28 p.m.

1993 Mercedes 600sl. Been in the family for a while- now it's my turn to take care of it. Had/has the usual for the year crumbling insulation on the wiring. Most of it has been replaced/repaired. Working on the lower engine harness now. Hopefully she'll be fully sorted after that.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
6/22/22 1:36 p.m.

Just about everything I have owned is more or less rare. Not sure why as I have owned a few mass market cars in the past.

Current fleet is 09 Pontiac Solstice coupe (<300 made with manual trans, total production 1270), BMW Z4M coupe, Jensen Interceptor Mk 3, rebodied (Jamaican) 56 MGA, MGA Mk 2 coupe, and 58 MGA Twin Cam race car.

Sold when we downsized - 1965 Jensen CV8 (plastic body, big block Chrysler, 500 made), Lamborghini Islero S (100 made) , 88 Fiero GT, 69 MGC.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/22/22 2:01 p.m.

Midlana qualifies as "rare", as in there's only one like it, but as for "desirable", well that's being determined now on BaT

Luwi67
Luwi67
6/22/22 2:43 p.m.

I have a 1993 Ford Probe GT with 70k original miles in great condition. Original owner with all paperwork. It's red and is identical to the Motor Trend Car of the Year test car.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
6/22/22 2:47 p.m.
kb58 said:

Dude, I'm cheering you on from here!

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/22/22 4:01 p.m.

Ok, I am sure there are those here who will vilify me for having more than one subaru and even more so for trying to pass any of them off as either desirable or rare, but hear me out. I have an 05 Wagon 5 spd that is maybe a bit crusty and rusty, but serves as occasional track toy and daily driver when its running. Yeah I can hear the laughter.... nevertheless, this humble looking machine provided considerable challenge to much more expensive and sophisticated hardware in the slower corners and a boatload of driving fun for me that day. From my perspective this is the best looking car Subaru ever built and one of the best handling they ever built, and the number of them left for enthusiasts to snatch up and play with are frightenly few. And that was true when I bought this one several years ago. Hard to find even one for sale in driving condition now. So does that meet the criteria for rare? I would say so. Desireable? It is to me, I know its quirks and have made peace with them.   Then there is the 2009 WRX that is still in very nice shape. Something of a garage queen. Hasn't been run to death on the drag strip or autocross course, tastefully modded so that it is indecently quick, still reasonably usable as a form of rapid transit should the need arise. But mostly its for those Sunday afternoons on a crooked backroad where you can exploit the boost as desired and feel the suspension work. Or just enjoy a leisurely drive. Desireable? Sure...ask any 19 year old if they want it. Rare, getting that way because most of them have been used up, wrecked and sent to the crusher. Mine has less than 65k on the clock and still looks good and runs better. So I dont know which one would be rarer or more desireable....guess it depends on who you ask.

at VIR in 2019

burgermeister
burgermeister New Reader
6/22/22 5:49 p.m.

Semi Rare kit car, and getting less so each year.  It goes to rolling active car shows, aka HPDEs.  I have never turned down any interested party for a ride, and offered plenty, though some folks just don't fit.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
6/22/22 6:05 p.m.

In reply to tb :

I concur with your evaluation of the Z driving experience. I had a '90 SlickTop NA, bought new and kept for 13 years, before foolishly selling it to get more "practical", and I currently own a '90 TT that is just such a joy to drive. Probably won't ever sell that one.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/22/22 6:23 p.m.

In reply to livinon2wheels :

I hear you.  I've been shocked how much fun I can have in my cheap beater Subaru.  It's honestly the most fun I've ever had in a car, and I've owned far more desirable cars.  I'm really looking forward to getting a more hardcore rally car and doing rallyX, hillclimbs, and whatever else I can get into.  If I find a navigator stage rally might be on the menu too.

Raszaron
Raszaron New Reader
6/22/22 10:39 p.m.

Nothing rare when new, but these days...

1997 Nissan 240SX SE with 5spd manual, 99.9% stock and never used as a drift missile!

2003 C5 Z06, it's my autocross/nice weather driver.

Ive owned a few cars that I'd like to have back though, 1993 RX7, 1992 3000GT VR4, 2007 Subaru STI, are just a few...

Raszaron
Raszaron New Reader
6/22/22 10:43 p.m.

The Z06.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
6/22/22 11:15 p.m.

It's only a w211 E55, but the previous owner sent it off to Brabus for the full K8 treatment. I've always only considered small light manual trans cars but I've put more miles and more years on this than any other car I've owned.. Rare? I think there are 4 or 5 others in the US. Desirable? Well it is at least to me!

MyMiatas
MyMiatas New Reader
6/22/22 11:28 p.m.

How about this?? There not like butts, everyone has one. I have never seen one driving on the road. I never seen one at any of the car shows I have been too. To me it was worth purchasing. It has the original motor, tranny, carbs, air cleaner. It may have had been a race car/autocross in the past.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
6/23/22 2:41 a.m.

Your Datsun could be a 1600 or a 2000.  What year is the car?

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
6/23/22 11:08 a.m.
Jay_W said:

Count me in as well

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/23/22 11:13 a.m.
chandler said:
Jay_W said:

Count me in as well

This seems like a valid answer to the "What Car for a Cross Country Trip?" thread.

ascott
ascott GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/23/22 11:21 a.m.

I'll just assume it's desirable since it was mentioned in the article and I can't go to the gas station without somebody walking up and asking me, "how much?"

1987 Buick Grand National

It's heavily modified now, but I do still have the original engine and transmission in it, though they've been gone through.

It keeps up with current equipment just fine. Had a guy in a GT3RS come up to me at Road America last summer to let me know I'd walked him down the front straight. Pulled a 7.77 1/8th mile on just 14 pounds of boost. The Falken 660s really couldn't launch the car with it set any higher, I'll need to get some drag radials and go back to the strip sometime.

It made it to the Optima Invitational in Vegas in 2018 and 2021, and went to Saudi-SEMA in Riyadh in 2019.

It still gets miles. I drove my kid to the doctor in it through a thunderstorm just yesterday.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
6/23/22 1:47 p.m.

In reply to ascott :

It's entertaining to follow around NCM as it starts smoking and then bursts into flames.

I was glad that the fire was put out quickly.  You need to set up a showdown with the MaliBeast one day.

Flyman615
Flyman615 New Reader
6/23/22 1:49 p.m.

I've been a 'Porsche guy' since the early 1970s. I was hooked by a 1969 911T coupe. A two-liter aubergine example with Weber carbs and a rare light tan interior. Years later I bought a 1973.5 911T Targa as a 50th birthday present to myself. It's a 2.4 liter with CIS; black leather interior with black/white hounds tooth inserts; 'S' instruments and trim. 23 years later I still enjoy driving it on our twisty mountain roads.

ascott
ascott GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/23/22 2:09 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

That was the Probe.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/23/22 2:22 p.m.

I don't have rare cars or ones that are desirable as the original models, but they are hilariously modified.  I try to let as many people as possible drive them at Autox events.   They are both low prep "EMod" cars and 99% of people will never get to drive something like this.  They both have passenger seats which are always open for ride alongs as well.  There are 0 others like them so I suppose they are Rare, and certian people will desire them but it's not like they are exotica or even a dream car.

The MG is more docile so I will basically let ANY experienced autoxer take a drive in it.  The Subaru at current is a bit more of a handful but I still am apt to share.

I'm planning to get the Subaru out to a few car shows and share it's hilarity in that way also.

Opti
Opti Dork
6/23/22 2:57 p.m.

I wouldnt say rare but it's desirable to me

18 SS 1LE

Sadly I think the most desirable thing I own is a regular old chevy pickup. I get way more compliments and offers to buy it than I do my camaro.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/23/22 3:09 p.m.
nocones said:

This made me smile :)

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
6/23/22 3:33 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Oh yeah. We've done several 17 hr 1200 miles in one gulp road trips and it doesn't hurt to do em. Of course it also doesn't hurt that those trips involve crossing Montana, which helps with the entertainment side of things...

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/23/22 4:38 p.m.
Opti said:

...Sadly I think the most desirable thing I own is a regular old chevy pickup...

I can relate. So I'm cleaning Midlana, my one-off custom car, in the garage with the door open. Also in the garage is a Jaguar F-Type. The UPS guy stop and I hear him say, "Nice car!" I said thanks as I turn, only to see him looking at the Jag. Humbling that was, yes...

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/23/22 6:30 p.m.

Is this what you get if you make a Locost wider?

Great build BTW...

And I got nuthin'.  Unless you count a GS Eclipse with a bad head gasket cool or desirable.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas New Reader
6/23/22 11:35 p.m.

In reply to jr02518 :

It is a 1969 2000.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
6/23/22 11:49 p.m.
MyMiatas said:

In reply to jr02518 :

It is a 1969 2000.

Better chance it's a 68, titled as a 69 (common back then). 69 has front marker lights and different chrome bits.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas New Reader
6/23/22 11:57 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Thank for the reply. They do change items from year to year to make them look different.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
6/24/22 12:11 a.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

Easiest way to confirm is if it has a VIN plate on the dash (where cars have them today) it's a 69. If not, it's a 68. After 50 plus years, fenders and lights get changed, but the VIN plate shouldn't.

footinmouth
footinmouth Reader
6/24/22 6:30 a.m.
mdshaw said:

What wheels are those from? The yellow is an amazing color.

pdqneon
pdqneon New Reader
6/24/22 2:06 p.m.

My 1986 GLHS

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
6/25/22 8:35 p.m.

My forever car - 1984 VW GTI slick top non-ac car.  All modded up for SCCA FSP with all the goodies.  8v motor built up to a raging 105wheel hp.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/26/22 12:56 p.m.

Good looking car!

In reply to 84FSP :

8v motor built up to a raging 105wheel hp.

And THAT is a beautiful thing!

Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter)
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/26/22 9:47 p.m.

I feel like it's too new to be "rare and/or desirable" but they only brought 15k of them to the United States at the most... 2013-2016 Porsche Cayenne Diesel. Very GRM-y appeal and we have several owners on this forum, but in The Real World most people – even car people – have no idea that Porsche put a diesel engine in the Cayenne, that they were able to re-certify them during Dieselgate, or that they can tow open and smallish enclosed trailers remarkably well for what they are. These all use the 3.0L TDI V6 and an Aisin 8-speed automatic.

I've had mine for a year, I'm the second owner, and I really do adore it. It does nothing perfectly but does everything surprisingly well as a one-car sorta deal. Just got home from Summit Point with it.

mX2hiRBT81nbWYqcY5GtdGXwPE89JZgChYUjGouIHHWGjiNQCWXJAaHHFpwQZxyD