Which of these modern roadsters offers the best experience?

Scott
By Scott Lear
Nov 10, 2022 | BMW, Honda, Mazda, Porsche, Miata, convertible, Boxster, S2000, Roadsters, Z3, Buyer's Guide, comparison | Posted in Buyer's Guides | From the May 2011 issue | Never miss an article

Photography Credit: Tom Suddard

There’s a running gag on the Grassroots Motorsports online forum that insists the answer to any question is “Miata.”

Anyone have a good suggestion for a daily driver in the suburbs of Chicago? “Miata.”

Okay, but what if I need to carry six people? “That’s easy, you just need three Miatas.”

What should I have for lunch? “Miata.”

Start a forum thread with any …

This content is available for GRM+ members only.

You can read it for free in 63 days or subscribe to GRM+ to read right now.

Already a member?

Join Free Join our community to easily find more BMW, Honda, Mazda, Porsche, Miata, convertible, Boxster, S2000, Roadsters, Z3, Buyer's Guide and comparison articles.
More like this
Comments
buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
9/9/20 12:50 p.m.

An S2000 weights ~100lbs less than a Z3 and feels like it weighs about 300lbs more. Around town the lack of torque makes the car feel slow and heavy off the line, only really coming alive after 6000rpm. Sure, the gears are WAY deeper to make up for the torque difference but then you spend all your time shifting. And on the street, it's a little impractical to rev out every shift just to keep up with a highschool girl in a new V6 camry.

I'm sure it's different on track.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
9/9/20 1:15 p.m.

I compared the facelift NC and a 2.7 Boxster. I ended up with the Boxster. It's heavier and the sport seats are...not great, but it has so much more character and that's what drew me in. I was ready to buy the Mazda and I really wanted to like it but I found it lacking. The transmission was decent but the cockpit was cramped and the engine was too bland for me. It would rev but it never got exciting. The 2.7 isn't a power house but it at least makes a good noise!
I do wonder sometimes if I made the right choice. The Boxster is wonderful but I blew my budget and anything worth changing is $$. The Miata would have been cheap fun modding and its reputation is so well known I can't help but wonder if I missed out on something.

aw614
aw614 Reader
9/10/20 9:15 a.m.

First thing I was wondering when I saw the top picture was if that was Dan Shield's Boxster that I see at the local Suncoast PCA events, guess I was right lol.

Coming from a 4 cylinder na eco car, I never had an issue from the lack of torque off the line in an S2000. I can see the lack of low end noticeable if you are coming from a 6 or 8 cylinder car, but for me, it was hey, this thing has some power over my non VTEC integra

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/10/20 9:21 a.m.
buzzboy said:

And on the street, it's a little impractical to rev out every shift

Isn't that the point of owning a Honda?

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
9/10/20 10:46 a.m.

I drove a S2000 before buying a Boxster.  Two things stood out, first you have to push it extremely hard to enjoy it, and second, it drives a lot like a Miata at low revs.  In the end, I thought the Porsche was a better all around car, but I did enjoy my time in the Honda.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
9/10/20 11:41 a.m.

Do you like to drive hard (maybe had a competition background?). Go for the S2000. They usually have two kinds of owners - the youthful females who likely never get the rpm above the magic 6K mark and the guys that know what they can do and use it all the time.

Do you like to drive hard once in awhile? The Porsche is probably the best all round choice (although I'd opt for a Cayman S)

Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter)
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/10/20 12:09 p.m.

I'm gonna get eviscerated for this comment, but at city/around-town speeds, the S2000 feels like a Civic with the roof removed. They are only "fun" when you have space to wind 'em out.

I'm also a little dour as my roommate died in one and another friend unintentionally lost his roommate in one. Both cases experienced some form of snap oversteer and the cars went in the air and into trees. They are not forgiving for drivers with little or no HPDE-type experience.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/10/20 2:00 p.m.
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) said:

Ouch! That does tend to put a damper on my excitement for a car.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/10/20 2:33 p.m.

In 2014 I had bought about a dozen Honda Del Sols (after a CRX stint). The Del Sols - even B20 swapped - were fun, but felt like a cheap toy. I wanted a more 'refined' car. S2000s had just come into my price range and I started searching for one. I didn't find a S2000 locally, but my Craiglist search turned up a "2000" Porsche Boxster  "S" instead. I had never even considered a Boxster, thinking they were priced similarly to a 911. I have now bought over a dozen Boxsters and still think I'd enjoy a high revving Honda just as much.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/10/20 3:13 p.m.

Good comparison, it's hard to go wrong with any of the test cars.

It's wild to think how spoiled for choice we were a few years back.  Today a base Boxster starts near $65K, a Z4 starts from $50K, and the Honda is no more.  Can't get a manual in BMW and Mercedes roadsters and Fiat is killing off the Spider, so it's left to Mazda alone to hold the torch.

P.S. -- I'm finding fewer than 50 new Boxsters in the country with a manual transmission.  Almost all of them are priced over $85K and half are over $100K frown

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/10/20 3:33 p.m.

Yeah, that was a good era for sports cars.

10+ years later and all four are still great looking cars, especially the BMW.

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/11/20 10:29 p.m.

Zzw30 mr2 belongs in this comparo.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) HalfDork
9/11/20 10:54 p.m.
Carbon (Forum Supporter) said:

Zzw30 mr2 belongs in this comparo.

They had one booked but there wasnt enough cargo space for the owner to bring both his helmet AND driving suit, so he couldn't put it on track ;).

Great driving car, and you're right it would be a good addition to the group.  Just pack light.

350z247
350z247 New Reader
10/7/20 10:15 a.m.

"Miata is always the answer" has always bothered me. 90% of people running a Miata would rather be running a Boxster/Cayman if they could afford it. A used 981 Boxster/Cayman S will run you the same amount as a new ND Miata with the BBS wheels, Recaro seats, Brembos, and Bilstein dampers; yet, the 981 will outperform it in every way and look better while doing it. A used 987.2 will run you the same as a properly built NA/NB with a turbo. By the time you build a Miata that can lap with a the Porsche, you've spent more money. With FCP Euro, there's no excuse to say maintenance and consumables are too expensive, especially with how reliable modern Porsches are.

I'll gladly pay more for a better car; life's too short to drive around with less than 200 horsepower. The Miata and BRZ/FRS/GT86 offer a great canvas to build a fast and fun car, but a used Porsche already supplies a better car. Just buy and enjoy.

twowheeled
twowheeled New Reader
10/7/20 10:36 a.m.
350z247 said:

I'm in the other camp. I tested a 987 cayman prior to getting my NC. Neither car felt fast. Coming from motorcycles they both were varying shades of slow. I don't like the light front end feeling of a MR car, so I bought the miata. I've since added a turbo and even at 300whp or so it doesn't feel quick. I should have just left it stock and enjoyed the car for what it was.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/7/20 11:48 a.m.
350z247 said:

As a dedicated Miata enthusiast who also owns a 981 Cayman S I have a hard time agreeing with this, even when comparing late model years.  I've never seen a clean 981 CS sell for less than $40k, most with the right spec are pushing $50k.  You can get a ND2 Clubsport for low $30's new, mid $20's used.  Track wheels for the Cayman are $2000-5000, Miata are $600.  Tires for the Cayman are $1000-1200, Miata are $500-600.  Track pads for the Cayman are $400-700, Miata are $300-400.  etc.

The Cayman is the best car I've ever owned.  It's amazing on the street and downright magical on the track.  I cross-shopped it against the ND and it's way better than a Miata in every way, full stop.  It is dead reliable, basic maintenance is manageable for a DIY'er, and parts aren't any more expensive than any other euro car.  But it's very expensive to campaign for motorsports, so I still have an NA Miata track ho that I can slay all day for next to free.

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
10/7/20 12:18 p.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

I was going to write a similar response, then I remembered that models other than the Cayman S exist. If you're cross shopping miatas you're presumably at least okay with a boxster, if not prefer it. Manual base boxsters are pretty widely available for less than a new ND and boxster S are about on par with a brembo package ND. And both of those will still be far better overall experiences. I'm honestly not sure they're that much more expensive to track aside for tires being a bit more expensive.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/7/20 9:05 p.m.

Stock for stock, my 987 is more capable than than the NA/NB Miatas I’ve owned, but the Miatas were more for to drive and easier to explore the limits in.

My wife digs the Porsche though, way more than the Mazda’s, so there’s that laugh

Yinn
Yinn
4/16/21 8:19 a.m.

Found this trying to figure out what else to buy...and found myself saying "Now what?"

Former owner of:
2006 S2k
2001 Porsche Boxster
2001 BMW Z3 3.0
1990 Mazda Miata

While not the exact cars in this article, in my humble opinion the S2000 was by far my favorite.  It was rough on pot hole ridden roads.  It was not a great daily driver.  But the smiles it put on my face, the way it handled, the way it drove was immaculate.  I regret selling that car.

Second to it, the Miata.  I bought the S2000 when I REALLY wanted another Miata and only bought the used S2000 was a good deal.  It was slow.  Really slow.  But what it lacks in pure speed it makes up in pure enjoyment. It's a great car if you want to be able to full use a car to it's full potential.

Porsche Boxster - I really wanted to like it, but it was just ok.  I eventually sold it because I found myself choosing to drive the S2000 instead of the Porsche the majority of the time.  I eventually sold it for a 2008 Cayman - a vehicle that is same in principle but vastly superior.  The extra rigidity helps quite a bit with the driving dynamics and handling.

Lastly the Z3.  It's a BMW.  It was decent fun.  If you're a town cruiser there's nothing wrong with this car. If you enjoy the thrill of backrounds and pulling Gs, this will do it too but the other vehicles do it better.  I enjoyed my time with it, but I'm not regretting selling this one.  I'm not itching for another.

So here I sit now asking "What other convertible can I buy now that I might like as much as the Miata or S2k?"

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
4/16/21 10:12 a.m.

987/981 Boxster

Elise.

spandak
spandak Dork
4/16/21 10:19 a.m.

ND2?

ND1 with a blower?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/16/21 11:01 a.m.

In reply to Yinn :

First hand experience ... -'06+ S2000 + Hondata + KW Supercharger.

390+ rwhp in an S2000 is an insane amount of fun.

350z247
350z247 Reader
4/17/21 8:10 a.m.

In reply to fatallightning :

I agree on all three. The 986 was a good start, but by the 987.2, Porsche had perfected the roadster. The 981 Spyder is the absolute pinnacle of open top track weapons. If only they had actually produced the Bergspyder...The Porsche Boxster Bergspyder Came Agonisingly Close To Production

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/21 10:26 a.m.
buzzboy said:

I'm sure it's different on track.

when the V6 Camry has 301 hp,  any of the above Roadsters are going to have to work hard to keep up with even the lightest footed grandmother

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
4/17/21 11:07 a.m.
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) said:

No, I think that is a valid comment. If you want a car that you can drive with enjoyment full bore all the time without getting a ticket, you'd have to look for an old Fiat 850 or a Bugeye Sprite.

The S2000 is a car you can drive in the city like a civic, but it has this hidden switch you can hit when road conditions allow, that switches it from A/mundane mode to B/performance mode when you can use it and want to use it. Nothing wrong with that!  It also means that there are  quite a few used ones around that have never been switched from A to B - one young lady I asked about it said she'd never exceeded 5000 rpm in hers.....

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/18/21 11:40 a.m.
350z247 said:

In reply to fatallightning :

roll your own.

as far as the whole "you can't live with a zzw30 mr2" thing goes. I disagree, you have to use the available space wisely but I've used them for dds for years with a kiddo. If you want to figure it out, you will, if you don't, you won't.

350z247
350z247 Reader
4/18/21 12:44 p.m.

In reply to Carbon (Forum Supporter) :

I'm not cutting the windshield off of a limited run $90K Porsche, but I can dream.

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/18/21 10:18 p.m.
350z247 said:

In reply to Carbon (Forum Supporter) :

Was suggesting doing that to a $6000 Toyota instead then kicking the Porsche's ass with it. It is "grassroots motorsports" after all.

spandak
spandak Dork
4/18/21 10:24 p.m.

If it wasn't my only car I would de-windshieldify my 986. Remove the top and windows and a ton of weight. Then run the intake up between the headrests like an Atom. Ugh. That would be epic.
Carbon, your car is an inspiration!

350z247
350z247 Reader
4/19/21 6:25 a.m.

In reply to Carbon (Forum Supporter) :

I'm not sure I've ever seen an MR2 in the low 1:30s at Road Atlanta, but all the same, it's a good look.

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/19/21 11:35 a.m.
350z247 said:

In reply to Carbon (Forum Supporter) :

Just a matter of what mods.

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven New Reader
11/10/22 2:29 p.m.

What is the best casual shoe?  If you can only have 1 pair of shoes, it's a very different choice vs having several on hand.

So, many of the good and bad points of these shoes get back to that first question.

Plus, if you have big feet, a small shoe won't be comfortable for long.

I'm 6 ft...can't be comfy in Miata, S2000.   Boxster I rented for a week was OK for space.

E30 track car was good.  I'm too old now.  My track days are over.

My E30 S50 is my fun street car and DD.

Working on some Mk1 MR2s...for a step toward more extreme street driving adventures.

The BMW M Roadster and Coupe are for fun on a nice day with the wife....spacious for us and cargo, quiet enough, pleasant suspension and engine, reliable....and all my tools work on them.   This last point important for my shop.

All of these cars can have a happy home.

twistedwankel
twistedwankel New Reader
11/10/22 3:01 p.m.

Over the years I have autocrossed all of these cars and owned 2 of them. Could have owned all of them if desired. Raced 3 S2000s found all 3 required egg under go pedal as all wanted to step out rear at the limit. Very quick but not for most drivers. I did not buy one. They look great.

Never found an affordable BMW in pristine condition and no accidents so stopped trying.  They are solid cars with that brilliant straight 6.  Enjoyable touring or autocross cars.

I bought a 2003 Boxster S from a trusted friend with 93k miles. Best stock handling road car I have ever owned. Brilliant all around. Some funky German switch operations tho.  Thinking man's joy.  Has unusual wear items like water pump.

I bought a 1999 Miata SE with 156M road miles - dark green in FL bad idea - had to drive with lights on. Quickest steering on the planet and impossible to spin out. Brilliant autocross car. Sold it for 3x what I paid for it 2 years later.

Not listed owned 2000 C5 Vert Z51 was fastest car I'll ever own. Superb handling autocross and road car. Great for road trips 28mpg. Was in same class as BMW and Boxster S when I owned it. I could out power/beat them both normally.  Sold it to my daughter.  The insurance was 2x what the newer Boxster was. That was a surprise.

I still have my hard driven 2003 RX8 4Dr with moonroof with 95k miles but my days of stickshift are ending at 76 this year.  Longest owned car in my life. Going to son. Will race on.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/10/22 3:47 p.m.

I've owned a few Miata's, and a few Porsche's including a Boxster S.  I've also owned a slew of V8s with more power than any of them.  What did I just buy again?  Another Miata.  Sure other cars are faster, but it's really really hard to find a more fun car to drive that is easier and cheaper to own.  Miata maintenance, care, and running costs are low.  Miata fun is huge.  I honestly considered a Targa top Vette too.  I've owned a few Vettes too. But the ease of use, cost, ease of maintenance etc the Miata won out again.  I can do whatever I want to it as cash allows too.  A Miata is a blank canvass for any car enthusiast.  The biggest knock above mentioned was power.  That can be addressed in several ways.

chpjr
chpjr New Reader
11/10/22 5:11 p.m.

In reply to Yinn :

This is a good comment from someone who's owned all of the test vehicles.  What do you think in terms of fitting in them?  I'm 6'1" and own a Miata.  I really like the cars, but I feel it's about 10% too small for me.  I've cut the seat foam, but it's just not enough.  Can I ask how tall you are?

Is there anyone else who's driven all of these who can comment of fitting in them for taller people?  From the owner comments in the article, it seems like the Z3 might have the most room?

Thanks.

chpjr
chpjr New Reader
11/10/22 5:18 p.m.

In reply to BimmerMaven :

The Z3 and Boxser fit you better then?  I'm about the same height, maybe an inch or so taller.  I like my Miata but wish I fit in it better, height-wise.

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/10/22 5:47 p.m.

In reply to twistedwankel :

Welcome to the forum!

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/10/22 5:58 p.m.

Looking back to the posts from April 2021 reminded me of a nicely modified 986 Boxster I recently saw at ECR.

dps214
dps214 Dork
11/10/22 6:20 p.m.
chpjr said:

In reply to Yinn :

Thanks.

6'1 ish and above average torso length here, one thing I'd say all of these cars have in common is not being tall person compatible. I've owned an M roadster, a boxster, and an NA miata and have driven an S2000 and NB/ND miatas. The early miatas are just tiny all around. The ND I found probably the most compatible of the bunch, especially the ND2 with the telescoping steering column, but I've heard other tall people have complaints. The S2000 might have actually had the most space but it had seat lowering brackets in it and my only driving in it was a single autocross run so I wasn't paying that muhc attention. My m roadster ended up getting an aftermarket seat that sat like 4" lower than stock, and then I finally felt like I was sitting *in* it, rather than *on* it. Maybe the non-M seats are lower? But honestly none of the non-Ms are worth owning other than maybe the late 3.0. About my only real disappointment with the 986 was the lack of headroom, I had to slouch big time to fit under the top with a helmet on. Porsche did figure it out later on, and the 987 is much better and the 981 even a little bit better I think. So if you can swing one of those that would definitely be my choice (and I did, in fact, make that choice).

chpjr
chpjr New Reader
11/10/22 8:21 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

Thanks for the info.

DoogieT
DoogieT New Reader
11/10/22 9:14 p.m.

Re: self described 'too old now' guy... you're not. Some used to say 'grow up', now all I hear is 'never change'.  We can be  racecar partners for enduros and sharing expense. Then  solo in class races separate events.

Love V8 sound, acceleration and speed on straights, but Miata in turns.

No idea there were so many meaningful choices. I want a used race car with handling of Mazda... speed of a V8.

What would you do?

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven New Reader
11/10/22 10:28 p.m.

In reply to chpjr :

Z3 is roomiest of all.

Oddly, the Mark I MR2 is OK for a few hours, but not all day...size wise

There's always a compromise!

motormark
motormark
11/10/22 10:44 p.m.

First of all, I've ridden motorcycles for 55 years and many have been somewhat peaky inline fours; you rev em to enjoy em, and they enjoy being rung out. Such is the S2000, and I'm on my second, an '09 with Pilot Sport 4s on 8.5 inch Titan wheels all around and Ohlins shocks (lowered half an inch). I love giving it a modest thrashing on back roads. Third and fourth gears show plenty of power. The good shocks and the sticky P4s make it really hard to slide, a huge change from crappy tires and chatter inducing worn out shocks it came with at 90,000 miles. But I'm 6'1" and it's tight. Honda is cheating us on performance cars, but they make tough equipment mechanically and the S2000 is easily one of their best designs ever, and oh what a shifter! I drove a brand new Miata and it was kinda too soft and polite, too much interior chrome, but nice. A five year old Boxster I test drove was excellent, in a different class. In this price range, my old C5 Z06 was amazing but too large. I'm keeping the S2000, but have sold five or six machines and a new Cayman GT4 is supposed to arrive next month after a year wait. Too bad even 2016 cars are way outta this price range and I sure wish you could see the motor when you lift the hood! (General Answer: Buy the most Cayman/Boxster you can scrape together money for.)

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/11/22 11:30 a.m.
chpjr said:

In reply to BimmerMaven :

Try the NC if you haven't already. I love Miatas but the na/b are a bit tight for my tastes. Or the Porsche as someone else mentioned

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven New Reader
11/11/22 11:58 a.m.

In reply to dps214 :

Torso length always important...not just height...

A good friend has a body like Baby Hughy....his head is out of the sunroof on all of my cars.

For reference, I'm 6ft with 34 inch pants length.  He's 6-1 with 30 inch pants length...

350z247
350z247 Reader
11/11/22 1:08 p.m.
motormark said:

That last sentence is the best I've seen on this forum. The Boxster/Cayman twins are pure and simple driving perfection with none of the compromises of the Miatas. Of course, you'll pay extra for that, but you can't take it with you...

xiP7VEzNpfq0nFevxONBY6rapp4ZoTfkC2Fkzdd6i1iEjyAW2KYwGd7Rycg3Dzf0