A Supra-powered Plymouth Scamp

Staff
By Staff Writer
Jan 12, 2022 | Plymouth, 2JZ, Engine swap, Scamp | Posted in Features | From the Feb. 2014 issue | Never miss an article

Photography by Richard Truesdell

Story by Richard Truesdell

Sure, there are a few examples of hotrods built in the 1930s, but it’s generally accepted that hotrodding–as we have come to define the term–dates back to the time immediately following World War II. Many returning GIs had received technical t…

This content is available for GRM+ members only.

You can read it for free in 54 days or subscribe to GRM+ to read right now.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Plymouth, 2JZ, Engine swap and Scamp articles.
Comments
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
1/11/22 8:46 a.m.

This isn't the same car that was at the 2021 Challenge, right?  I remember that was a Dodge, but I can't remember the model.  Bumpers were different as well.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/11/22 9:01 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Yes, there was one there, but I agree that this is a different car.

Found my pictures. This one from the 2021 Challenge is a Dodge Dart.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/11/22 9:21 a.m.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
1/11/22 9:26 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, interesting that Dodges are getting the 2JZ so much, but that might be confirmation bias.  Finnegan did it to his Charger last season on Roadkill I think.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/11/22 10:19 a.m.

It's a cool swap, keeping the in line six in these.

In keeping with that, there is some evidence that a Vortec 4200 has some capability for big power on a budget...  wink

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/11/22 10:37 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Found my pictures. This one from the 2021 Challenge is a Dodge Dart.

Dang.  I really like that.  I would daily the hell out of it.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/22 10:43 a.m.

This car makes me feel like a cranky old guy.

I recognize that it's pure hot rodding at it's best and it has all the things that I think are important in a build.  It's well thought out, appears well built, has a cohesive design and I have no doubt that it works well.  However, I just can't get past the fact that it has a Japanese six instead of a good old American V8.  Apparently, I don't care that it's probably a better car with the six.

Oddly, I think a Supra with a 340 MOPAR engine would be awesome.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
1/11/22 10:45 a.m.

What about the Atlas motor?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/11/22 11:00 a.m.

In reply to APEowner :

What I don't get is why you would go 2JZ when you can boost a built Slant Six to the moon, and keep it in the family?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/11/22 11:03 a.m.
Duke said:

In reply to APEowner :

Because when you boost a slant six to the moon it will make like 300hp and rev to 4000rpm

Cooter
Cooter PowerDork
1/11/22 11:06 a.m.

I'm about as MoPar (and old) as they come, and I don't mind it one bit.

The only time I mind is when people like Finn say they are "doing it to pi$$ off the MoPar guys".    Do it because it is better, do it because it is lighter, do it because it is cheaper, heck, do it because you just plain like it.   If you need to get your jollies by "pi$$ing off the H8ers" maybe, just maybe the H8er is you.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
1/11/22 11:53 a.m.

We had a Scamp when I was a kid; we called it the wonder car because it would tolerate monumental abuse. Slammed it down miles of dirt roads etc. When my dad bought a new car he gave the Scamp to me..................if only it was half as cool as this one, I'd have kept it.

jerel77494
jerel77494 New Reader
1/11/22 12:42 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

'Cuz according to Clifford Research, they'll only rev to 5500 safely.  Lack of crank support.  The longer the crank is, the more stress it puts on the center main bearing; crank tries to whip.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
1/11/22 1:07 p.m.

When I saw the title, my mind pictured the Plymouth version of the Dodge Rampage powered by a 2jz. I was initially disappointed to see it was the Valiant version. However, this car is well executed, and I love the idea of it still being powered by straight 6.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
1/11/22 1:08 p.m.
Cooter said:

.....

Quoted for truth.  That episode was hard to watch.

The more I see of Finnegan, the less I like him.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
1/11/22 1:32 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to APEowner :

I have seriously considered holding a match race with Dave once I get the Dart finished so we can get a comparison between this and a turbo slant six.

The fact that "once I get the Dart finished" has been pushed back so much is probably going to be your answer, though.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
1/11/22 7:21 p.m.

I met the owner/builder at car craft Summer  nationals in 2012 or 2013. He did it because it was cool and was really excited about it.

I remember he tried to sell it, including advertising in this magazine, for quite awhile. I always wondered where it landed.

Ul0t6RLEOklbEHuEYVHZpmcPLJ8oorycie6CTTafHdxskSfAE0N3mTWbyp2ZjHwm