Toebra
Toebra Dork
12/26/18 8:56 p.m.

I have never been troubled by allergies much, so don't take a lot of benadryl.  I know a lot of people do, and diphenhydramine is in a lot of stuff, as ubiquitous as acetaminophen.

Scary numbers on dementia  

When the researchers examined the use of anticholinergic drugs, they found that people who used these drugs were more likely to have developed dementia as those who didn’t use them. Moreover, dementia risk increased along with the cumulative dose. Taking an anticholinergic for the equivalent of three years or more was associated with a 54% higher dementia risk than taking the same dose for three months or less.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/26/18 9:41 p.m.

I've been aware of this for some time. I think it's a valid study, although I haven't read it.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
12/27/18 11:38 a.m.

I wonder if hydoxyzine does the same thing.  I’ve been taking low dosages of that for years for itching.  

Toebra
Toebra Dork
12/27/18 12:51 p.m.

hydroxyzine is a a first gen anti-histamine, so yes, it could be expected to do behave similarly.

Nugi
Nugi Reader
12/28/18 8:01 a.m.

I occasionally suppliment choline. I wonder if there is any benefit. Stuff tastes terrible, so i ha ent as often, but might start. 

Also heard rumour that some substances mitigate the effect of anticholinegenics. Cant recall the name now, but its a common nootropic. I will look later. Maybe Aniracetam?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/28/18 8:09 a.m.

According to the link, they looked at 3K people over time.  Those that took anticholinergics had a higher incidence of dementia.  I saw nothing in there that implied causality.  And nothing in there that addressed why people were taking these drugs.  Yeah, diphenhydramine is  an anticholinergic, but the other drugs listed, if you can drill through and find the little PDF handout in the broken link of the article, are some serious bad but necessary drugs, like powerful anti-psychotic meds.  People who take anti-psychotic meds do so for a reason.  They're PSYCHOTIC.  Those people alone have higher incidence of dementia.  Extrapolating all that to "Benadryl be bad 4 you" is a bit of a stretch.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/28/18 8:15 a.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

Thanks for the clarification. '

'Needs further study..."

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
12/28/18 9:08 a.m.

Oh man, I think I take a lot of that medicine but I can’t remember....

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/28/18 9:11 a.m.
jfryjfry said:

too soon?

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/28/18 4:09 p.m.
Robbie said:
jfryjfry said:

too soon?

How would he know?

Toebra
Toebra Dork
1/2/19 6:59 p.m.

I don't think anyone extrapolated it to "benadryl be bad for you", but even without a causal link, the numbers are pretty distressing.  Even if all the people in the study were already on psych drugs, why would you want to put yourself at higher risk?

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
1/2/19 7:20 p.m.

Hardest to pronounce thread title in GRM history

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/2/19 7:29 p.m.

Hmm, i take chlorpheniramine maleate for alergies mostly, i wonder how it fairs

dorri732
dorri732 Reader
1/3/19 6:41 a.m.
Toebra said:

I don't think anyone extrapolated it to "benadryl be bad for you"... 

...why would you want to put yourself at higher risk?

I think you just extrapolated it to "benadryl be bad for you".

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
1/3/19 9:03 a.m.

I used to take Seldain (SP?) it was taken off the market in the early 90's.  It worked great.... turns out it wasn't good for you.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ki0BdaRfnpbVxcV6bw1MN3JQh17MITjyO0B9Jwo93CWpNf6wL8A6ErtfYIka9Bqd