1 2 3 4
sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/10/13 9:44 a.m.

[ Edit: This car is no longer on sale. The owner got the engine to turn over, and then chose to keep it to rebuild/restore. There's now a build thread over here. - JoeyM]

This was going to be my new project, but alas it wasn't meant to be. I bought this car from a buddy, he thought it needed a starter. Well, it may have, but it also needs a motor. I was hoping to get it on the road and enjoy it for the summer, but I have no garage and no place to put a "new" motor in. Hopefully someone here can do that (or something else equally cool)!

This is a bone stock, original 1975 280Z with a 4 speed manual transmission. It has not been on the road for many years, but it is in restorable/drivable condition. Everything is there to make it a nice runner.

It needs an engine, d/s window is inop, p/s door latch inop, needs an ignition, and will need the other obvious stuff from having sat for so long. As far as I can tell this car was purchased at Bob Crumpler Datsun in Portsmouth, VA, and has been in this area ever since. Rust is minimal - LR dogleg, bottom of LF fender, and a small hole at the back right of floor. The rest of the floors are solid, as are the frame rails. Car is A/C equipped.

Clean title (from 1979-even the title is vintage!), will need to be towed from VA Beach (23462). Would prefer pickup, but if somebody was willing I would help with shipping. Let me know if there are specific pics you want to see!

PRICE IS VERY MUCH NEGOTIABLE, ESP. FOR GRM'ERS!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
4/10/13 10:03 a.m.

I've a friend who pants over these. Why do you say it needs an engine?

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/10/13 10:15 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: I've a friend who pants over these. Why do you say it needs an engine?

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/10/13 10:20 a.m.

In reply to foxtrapper:

Because I cannot turn it over by hand. Obviously the starter just clicks when you crank it, which is why my buddy thought it needed a starter (not uncommon on these). It was started within the past year, and has been covered and has oil in the motor. I took off all the belts and attempted to turn the engine over with my big freakin breaker bar--no go. I have put trans fluid in the cylinders everyday for the past few days and tried everyday to turn it. I got it to move about 1/2" once, but not any more since. It may be able to be "un-seized", but I wouldn't count on it.

I "pant" over these too, S30 Z's are some of the most beautiful cars ever, IMHO. Tell your buddy I'll give him a good deal on it!

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
4/10/13 10:47 a.m.

Uff. Da.

I'm in Richmond, VA. Up for a beer this weekend? Can't promise I'll take it (yet), but would love to take a look.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/10/13 10:59 a.m.

Yeah, come on down and take a look! I was really hoping to get this thing going on the cheap and have a fun car for the summer, but I have no garage and I don't feel like putting a motor in in the parking lot. Let me know when you'll be here!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/10/13 11:42 a.m.

See, I always wanted one of these, and I know where there is a 1985 Nissan Maxima with a good engine just kind of hanging around.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/10/13 12:21 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

You must mean an '84 Maxima. The '85 is the first year of the fwd V6 Maxima, which is not a good swap idea. The 80-84 810/Maxima has an L24, a version of the 240z motor-also not the best swap idea. You're better off finding a rusted out 280z or zx and using that motor. There's a '77 with a good motor on my local Craigslist!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/10/13 12:26 p.m.

Yes, sorry, and '84- last of the RWD platforms.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/10/13 12:36 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

Yeah, I figured that's what you meant. I think the sump is different on the motors (ie, front sump on the max, rear on the z) or something like that. I don't think it's a plug and play swap.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/10/13 2:01 p.m.

not to be a douche, but was the trans in gear when you were trying to turn the engine with the breaker bar?

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
4/10/13 2:04 p.m.

perfect match

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/82-280zxt-complete-parts-car-pittsburgh-pa/62695/page1/

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/10/13 2:13 p.m.

SWMBO loosing her job today makes me wanna cry, been thinking of an old z-car for a beater for awhile since I can't find an old dart optioned the way I want it.

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
4/10/13 2:35 p.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: Yeah, come on down and take a look! I was really hoping to get this thing going on the cheap and have a fun car for the summer, but I have no garage and I don't feel like putting a motor in in the parking lot. Let me know when you'll be here!

PM'd

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/10/13 6:26 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

Nope, wasn't in gear. Although now you make me want to go check again. My guess is no though since the starter still just clicks. I'll check tomorrow though.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/10/13 6:34 p.m.

Just checked...yup, it's in neutral, out of gear. Still no turn.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/12/13 7:31 p.m.

No other interested parties? It's a great start to a Challenge project! And there's a lot of wiggle room in the price!

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
4/12/13 8:18 p.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: No other interested parties?

I already have too many projects....otherwise you would have gotten a PM from me

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
4/13/13 8:57 a.m.

Not a bad start. Too far.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/13/13 6:29 p.m.

Just had a blast with Cliff (Flynlow)...he rode his bike down from Richmond and we spent a couple hours checking out the car, shooting the breeze, swapping stories, enjoying some Blue Moons (thanks dude!), and generally just enjoying this lovely Virginia weather. Even if he doesn't buy the car I thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon. Thanks Cliff!

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
4/15/13 7:19 a.m.

In reply to sethmeister4:

Likewise! Thanks for showing me the car, always nice to hang out with another GRM'er. If you're ever in Richmond, and want to swing by the shop for a beer, give me a call.

To anyone that's wondering about the Z, it really is pretty well complete, and though there's some surface rust, it's not bad. I'm just debating whether I keep the Celicas or get this......or both, though my garage is filling up!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/15/13 10:26 a.m.

In reply to Flynlow:

Both!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
4/17/13 1:03 p.m.

Starting price is now $1200!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
4/20/13 2:55 p.m.

$1000 now for GRMers!

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
4/20/13 2:57 p.m.

The price is great.....VA is a hell of a long way from FL.

It would be a good candidate for a modernized nissan drivetrain

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WgERoUfR6cVgqVHYn2v9mGreSZbg7WlbOBBFKJhG4qWXFdKdtyao364TDKQ3ELob