1 2
RossD
RossD Dork
10/18/10 7:39 p.m.

Hello GRMers,

I am offering up my '77 Mercury Capri. It has the ubiquitous Lima 2.3 liter with Holley's version of the Weber 32/36 DFEV carbuerator, and a new filter assembly. It's a 4 speed manual transmission. Its the Ford Type F with the external linkages, and the shifter is sloppy due to worn bushings in the shifter mechanism itself.

Here's my link to my GRM garage page for the Capri.

The reason I'm selling it is because the previous owner never found the title and I've given up on him finding it. I dont think he ever had it titled in his name either, so he would have to get a bonded title, which is the same thing I would have to do. I dont want to stick that money into the car.

The car is drivable but since I dont have a title I've never driven it longer than the 4 or 5 miles through the neighborhood to my parents house (for winter storage last year).

The car came from Los Angeles and got put through a car auction somewhere between 1994 and 4 or 5 years ago and ended up in Green Bay, WI. It's now in Appleton, WI 54915.

I should have some higher resolution pictures up soon of the few rust spots and all the rust free floor boards and structural parts. Its actually in really good structural shape. All the glass is good but the door rubbers and side window rubbers are all shot. (It also comes with an extra cracked front windshield thats out of the car at the moment; the one in the car is great )

The seats are from an early '90s Mercury Tracer and dont fit the best (you sit too high, if you're 6'-1" like me, but still drivable).

Most of the emissions stuff is gone and patched up. The electrical system has a draw on it and I disconnect the battery after every one of my little test runs around the neighborhood. I have some new tie rod ends and lower control arms ready to be installed but the parts on the car seem pretty good yet. I have the back seat out but I still have it.

The transmission has the Xflow/Pinto belllhousing pattern on it so a Zetec would be a doable swap. I have an additional 4 speed from a '77 Mustang II (Borg Warner SR4 or RAD-4) that could be for sale if the price is right.

The Sumitomo HTR 200 are basically new on some 14" mustang rims and the original set of 5 rims come with the car too.

Priced at $1000. (edited for new price as of 02/27/11)

Feel Free to ask questions. I'm not looking for trades (at least that's what I'm telling myself) and I can't help with transporting the car.

Come buy my car!

-Ross

pjr300
pjr300 New Reader
10/18/10 7:53 p.m.

I always wanted one of these!

RossD
RossD Dork
10/18/10 7:56 p.m.

Now is your chance! We dont even have snow on the ground here,...yet.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Reader
10/18/10 8:15 p.m.

Looks nice. Great to see some Capris here.

RossD
RossD Dork
10/19/10 2:28 p.m.

I'll have some good pics up tonight.

RossD
RossD Dork
10/19/10 6:19 p.m.

Flickr Picture Set of the Capri

The front rotors and pads have been replaced, too. The rear looked okay.

RossD
RossD Dork
10/19/10 6:22 p.m.

Look at that beautiful frame rail !

This car already has a map light for all your rally/targa needs.

RossD
RossD Dork
10/20/10 5:13 p.m.

No one is interested? Price is too high? $1000 obo? (edited 02/27/11)

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/21/10 12:26 p.m.

Hmmm.. I posted on this last night and now it's gone.

I was wondering, do you think it would make it to the Detroit area?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
10/21/10 12:37 p.m.

You gonna swing by Upstate and pick up a SC V-6?

RossD
RossD Dork
10/21/10 3:05 p.m.

I would like to think it could make it to Detroit. But since I havent been able to drive it much more than the 4 or 5 miles at a time, I cant say for sure. (I didnt want to drive it on the road without a title and plates.) My only concern would be that the battery draw is pretty heavy when its off but it seems fine when it's running. The battery was new earlier in the year, so that should help. The carb could probably go for a good tuning/cleaning, since I really dont know anything about carbs.

914Driver wrote: You gonna swing by Upstate and pick up a SC V-6?

If it is not gone by December I may...

Back to the Capri.

I will talk to Bobby, He is looking for a Capri, the fact that car was Orange may sell it.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
10/21/10 9:54 p.m.
Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho wrote:
If it is not gone by December I may... Back to the Capri. I will talk to Bobby, He is looking for a Capri, the fact that car was Orange may sell it.

Hey, Camacho. I remember shipping a Porsche part to a dude in Michigan by that name. Is he you?

Also, if you were more confident about the long distance legs of this car, I would totally come get it and drive it back to ATL. I have always wanted to go on a car road trip.

Platinum90 wrote: Hey, Camacho. I remember shipping a Porsche part to a dude in Michigan by that name. Is he you?

That wasn't you, it was a Maroon 91 Buick TR7.

RossD
RossD Dork
10/22/10 7:11 a.m.

Since it doesnt have a title, I just havent driven it enought to say: yes, it'll make it. I would like to think it would, but I can't be too sure. The ghost draw when it's off would be the main obsticle. When its running, it charges the battery nicely, though. I suppose you could always push start it if the battery died.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
10/22/10 7:36 a.m.
Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho wrote:
If it is not gone by December I may... Back to the Capri.

I meant for the Capri.

Dan

RossD
RossD Dork
10/22/10 8:27 a.m.

A zetec will bolt up to the transmission in the car.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic SuperDork
11/5/10 6:55 p.m.

Do you still have it?.

jimbbski
jimbbski Reader
11/6/10 8:56 p.m.

There is a Yahoo group for Capri lovers. Post it there and you may sell it.

RossD
RossD Dork
11/8/10 7:25 a.m.

Yeah, I'm a part of that but I hate the user interface of yahoo groups. Why can it just be a forum. But I'm also on the caprilist forum too, but there is not much of a following. It is still for sale. I'm going to try to make myself more confident in its long distance driving capabilities over the winter, unless someone wants to haul it onto a trailer and take it away.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/8/10 7:44 a.m.

I wonder what that might look like as a mid-engined, tube chassis...

-the-voices-they-plague-me-

RossD
RossD Dork
11/8/10 8:01 a.m.

Like this, I suppose. I'm guessing thats not quite what you meant by mid engine but it is between the axles, mostly.

RossD
RossD Dork
2/27/11 6:29 p.m.

This car is still for sale! Apparently the price is too high! For $1000 or best offer: you can take this car with the 14" mustang rims with the new tires on them, the Borg Warner SR4 (or RAD in the Mustang II world) 4 speed for the 2.3 Lima, the 6-3/4" rear end from the MII, and the original 5 rims with the crap tires, new lower control arms (not installed), and what ever else I have for the car. The car still does not have a Title and is the main reason I am selling the car. The front brakes have new discs and pads, and the back looked good when I pulled the drums off. The car is on the verge of being considered road worthy but just needs the last couple of things. If the price is still too high, just shoot me an offer. I'm looking to put something else in the garage and this has got to go!

JP_CDN
JP_CDN New Reader
2/27/11 7:31 p.m.

WTF is it with the DMV in the US? If I lose the title to my car, I go to the local licence bureau, and tell them I lost my title (ownership, registration, vehicle permit...). Then I show my ID, and $10 later I have my title back in the glove box. Why do they make it so difficult? If you do not know the previous owner, and never transferred it into your name, then I could see it being harder.

That would make importing it to Canada a real bugger...

RossD
RossD Dork
2/28/11 7:16 a.m.

Some states are either than others. I guess its not hard in Wisconsin; it just takes $1500 I'd rather stick into another vehicle. I think in NC all you need is a bill of sale; It varys by state.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
24Ov1QVNeDyskxlA4zWdePMJi8tLNwPhZiwjmci6fZZ0wibBSvmNly7fik5bsTvx