1 2
dlmater
dlmater GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/5/08 11:44 a.m.

Yes, that is a breather sticking through the hood. I built and had the car at this year's Challenge. This is a 1984 BMW 318i with a Chevy 4.3L Vortec V6 and 5 speed transmission swap. The motor and transmission came from a 1996 S-10 Blazer. The motor was then converted to a carburetor using an Edelbrock intake and 4 barrel carb. Performance cam and HEI distributor with vacuum advance. 100hp nitrous system with purge installed. 4.10 limited slip differential. Drive shaft professionally fabricated by a local shop. Kuhmo street tires are in excellent shape, aftermarket 16” x 7” wheels have some curb rash. Custom gauge panel. “Grassroots” digital speedometer. Stainless Magnaflow muffler. Tokico performance springs. Volvo radiator and temp controlled electric fan. Modified bumpers. Wheel studs installed.

It ran the quarter in 13.8 at 105 mph on street tires with little traction, lots of tire spin and not so good driver (me). It has more in it

Body is in good shape for its age. Exterior and dash/gauge lights work. No power steering, but the car is light enough that it is really not needed. The power rack is still there. Power brakes using a Mitsubishi Gallant booster and remote reservoir adapted to the stock master cylinder. It is an AC car but the compressor, hoses, and dryer have been removed. Heat works though. Battery has been relocated to the trunk in a metal box. There is a push/pull master electrical cut-off switch. Factory sunroof. Upholstery is good without any rips or tears. Interior is mostly intact, no carpet or radio. The floor has a fresh coat of paint.

Included in the sale are the original BMW bottlecap wheels (4 total but one is bent and painted a different color) with tires and some misc. parts and pieces. I have a good title. Car is located in the Richmond, VA area. $1,600

More pictures available at: http://s462.photobucket.com/albums/qq343/dlmater/

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/5/08 12:12 p.m.

that is awesome.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
12/5/08 1:45 p.m.

That's a screaming deal. This car looked like a lot of fun at the challenge!

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
12/5/08 3:35 p.m.

holy crap

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
12/5/08 4:22 p.m.

wow, I really like this e30...

If only it wasn't totally impossible to smog it in cali...

PHeller
PHeller Reader
12/6/08 12:32 p.m.

Could it be driven on a daily basis? What kind of MPG would you estimate?

A buddy of mine is looking for a quirky cheap DD.

savestheday
savestheday New Reader
12/6/08 1:02 p.m.

Man I want this. Need a Cobra SBF 302 and some money? I'll tow it!

savestheday
savestheday New Reader
12/6/08 1:03 p.m.

Man I want this. Need a Cobra SBF 302 and some money? I'll tow it!

dlmater
12/6/08 5:22 p.m.
PHeller wrote: Could it be driven on a daily basis? What kind of MPG would you estimate? A buddy of mine is looking for a quirky cheap DD.

I have been driving the car around on the street a little here and there without any significant issues. I guess it just depends on what your buddy finds acceptable for a daily driver. It would also depend on your local vehicle inspection regulations for engine swaps and smog. For me, the car qualifies for antique tags in Jan., no inspection required.

I have no idea on the MPG at present. The 4.10 gears will not be as kind at the pump.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
12/7/08 6:46 p.m.

well....in an S-10, the 4.3 with a 3:73 rear gets about 19-22mpg. expect about the same in a car chassis with slighter more aggressive gears

roger69
roger69 New Reader
12/8/08 6:18 p.m.

FrankenBMW. I love it. This needs to be in my driveway!

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
12/8/08 7:06 p.m.

i hate you. if i hadnt bought my vic...i was lusting over this since you posted the first pic of it a while ago.

pinoville
pinoville None
12/10/08 1:19 a.m.

Please tell me that the car is sold by now. Please

dlmater
12/10/08 10:47 a.m.
pinoville wrote: Please tell me that the car is sold by now. Please

Not yet. Have had some interest, but it is still parked in my garage.

maassauto
maassauto New Reader
12/18/08 12:42 p.m.

A friend of mine is interested in your car but his computer is doing strange things and won't allow him to sign in. Can you give him a call or email regarding your car. His phone numbers are 267-285-7838 cell, 215-836-0172 home and crisjl@aol.com Thanks much. His name is Chris.

dlmater
12/19/08 6:02 a.m.

Thanks for the information. I will call him today.

fastasleep
fastasleep New Reader
12/19/08 6:30 p.m.

I'll trade you the kart for it. The turbo lawnmower is almost done so I have no room for it in the shed anymore.

-Les

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
12/19/08 6:53 p.m.

Found a picture of it at the challenge:

dlmater
12/20/08 3:55 p.m.
fastasleep wrote: I'll trade you the kart for it. The turbo lawnmower is almost done so I have no room for it in the shed anymore. -Les

Hey Les, thanks for the offer, but I am really just looking for cash at this point. Besides, that kart and my son would be a dangerous combination. I can see him screaming through the neighborhood at 100mph when I am not at home.

By the way, my son and I really enjoyed meeting you at the challenge.

fastasleep
fastasleep New Reader
12/21/08 8:00 a.m.

Great! Your son is a cool Kat, too! After I roasted a piston on the second pass, I saw him and he said, "What happened to you beating us in the drags?" Man, I thought that was funny!
You guys built a great car last year and I hope you guys come again with another car. I think it is great to include the young guys (and girls) in the Challenge. It was great to meet you both and can't wait to see you next year. If you guys need anything (parts, powdercoating, etc.) please don't hesitate to call or e-mail. It was great talking to ya.

-Les 770-778-7368 lesburchett@yahoo.com

Supercoupe
Supercoupe New Reader
12/21/08 10:43 a.m.

Awesome car, here's one from the Challenge sans hood. challenge photos

Daddy_Rocket
Daddy_Rocket None
12/23/08 5:52 p.m.

Now that is sick. I'm in the RVA area too. I'd like to check that sucker out.

Daddy_Rocket
Daddy_Rocket New Reader
12/26/08 5:08 p.m.

By far one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Black Stig
Black Stig Reader
12/27/08 12:06 p.m.

I am working on a shipping quote NOW!

Daddy_Rocket
Daddy_Rocket New Reader
12/27/08 12:38 p.m.

I just brought this monster home with me today, guys, so stop emailing Dennis.

I am totally in love with that car. It handles like a BMW and has power like an American car. What's not to love? A little tuning to the timing and fuel, and I'll be scaring old ladies and young men alike!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ARgt96ccwQn4ykDhTUG0MKLrERJlqMxqvhC8YxdAyYBqHk43M5XfsnyiS2u2Wfu6