1 2
PoisonousBeef
PoisonousBeef New Reader
7/28/10 1:32 p.m.

NEW PRICE: $1400 UPDATE: Center console now installed, stereo back in and functional. 1988 Volvo 740 Turbo 5 Speed (Converted to use a Ford T-5) 120k Miles Runs and drives great Very clean underneath Clean black leather interior (some mild wear) Gate for 2nd gear is stiff/notchy in cold weather but otherwise the transmission is good. The T-5 conversion means it is very easy to find replacements compared to the Volvo trans. Car has a newer full exhaust and good tires. Also has both front and rear sway bars, plus mildly lowered on aftermarket shocks/springs. I bought this from a friend a few months ago (fellow GRMer HeavyDuty) and realized I'm not gonna get to it. I'd like someone to enjoy it instead of just watching it sit. It's actually so clean for the year that I'm almost sad to think about it being cut up for the Challenge. Car should really need nothing to drive anywhere and I'm happy to have it freshly PA state inspected for the buyer. Car is currently at a friend's garage in Butler, PA (16001). You can contact me here or send gmail to [null].

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
7/28/10 3:06 p.m.

Sweet ride, too bad its not a wagon or I'd be tempted.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
7/28/10 3:47 p.m.

It's not a wagon and I'm STILL tempted. Problem is location.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
7/28/10 5:16 p.m.
mndsm wrote: It's not a wagon and I'm STILL tempted. Problem is location.

I can relate. Thats one of the cleanest leather interiors I've ever seen on a brick.

PoisonousBeef
PoisonousBeef New Reader
7/28/10 5:40 p.m.

The interior is definitely in very good shape. The only real "blemish" is a split in the dash vinyl. You can just barely make it out in the photo below. The previous owner (before HeavyDuty) had the console partially apart because of the T-5 shifter (the original T-5 the car came with had about 1.5 or maybe 2 actual gears so it was swapped last year for the used unit in there now). The PO also had just left the hole in the trans tunnel wide open, so heat would get swept right up into it from the exhaust (good when the blower motor was broken in winter, not so good in warm weather). We started remedying this by attaching some sheet metal but if the new owner was making this a daily driver you would want to give it some attention (e.g. a little insulation and possibly some sound deadener).

Part of making clearance for the shifter cutout while wanting to return the car completely back to stock interior trim meant that we had to put spacers underneath the central fuse array. This was a giant pain in the ass but back then there were no intentions to get rid of the car.

This picture shows the center console situation a little better:

If someone was serious about a fly-in-drive-out deal I would help get them from the Pittsburgh airport up to the car (about 1 hr drive). If I needed to drive this car for some reason I wouldn't have any second thoughts about taking it anywhere - it holds stock boost as it should and is an overall good runner.

I can get other pictures of specific areas if someone really wants them.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Reader
7/29/10 8:38 a.m.

. .sigh . . . to far way . . . GLWS!!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/29/10 9:42 a.m.

I see a tasty RWD Corolla in the background!

Clem

Ian F
Ian F Dork
7/29/10 9:53 a.m.

Damn... I so wish I had spare cash and storage space... the drivetrain is EXACTLY what I want swap into my 1800ES eventually... (sigh...)

PoisonousBeef
PoisonousBeef New Reader
7/29/10 10:44 a.m.
ClemSparks wrote: I see a tasty RWD Corolla in the background! Clem

There are actually 2 of them. One is tubbed, tinned and caged, set up for GNX power, while the other is running and driving stock with bad rear shock towers but some clean street/inspection parts that were destined for the race car (the dream was of course a street legal monster). They are for sale as a package though they aren't mine.

captain_napalm
captain_napalm Reader
8/1/10 4:25 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: I see a tasty RWD Corolla in the background! Clem

I see several, what's the story on them?

usa4cheer
usa4cheer New Reader
8/1/10 5:14 p.m.

I like the corolla's but I got my eye on the cvcc civic hatch, like the one I had in high school. I would like a shot at another one of those .

Tim

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/1/10 8:25 p.m.

Is that a yellow Corolla wagon in the backround there? I am interested in that.

How about that Renault LeCar you have?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/1/10 8:44 p.m.

Yea I think you may be right, I am interested in it all the same

PoisonousBeef
PoisonousBeef New Reader
8/2/10 8:33 a.m.

The GM wagon is a 70 Impala, 350 with factory air, and I believe he wants around $6 grand.

The yellow car is a CVCC, manual, had it running not long ago but I think the carb needs a rebuild. Has a new fuel pump and a clean title. Not the worst I've seen but of course there is rust, the real "problem" area being the front crossmember, which is not exactly there. He wants $400.

I already posted a link to his craigslist ad for the Corollas.

My 2 LeCars are always for sale for the right price. One in street trim, one crushed and caged for the track.

PoisonousBeef
PoisonousBeef New Reader
8/2/10 11:41 a.m.

Just to clarify since a couple people have asked - the photos I've posted ARE current and the interior "removal" was quite literally limited to plastic panels, mostly from the shifter console but also a couple from the passenger footwell when installing the blower motor. The seats, carpet, dash, door cards etc. are all functional, original, totally intact and have not been removed.

gearhead313
gearhead313 New Reader
8/3/10 9:47 a.m.

Greetings everyone. I'm the amazingly awesome friend that is holding the volvo for P.Beef. I just pulled her in for some under body pictures for everyone. Here they are:

PoisonousBeef
PoisonousBeef New Reader
8/6/10 2:31 p.m.

Friday bump for a sad lonely Volvo

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/8/10 10:39 a.m.

Wow, nice old Volvo! I'm rockin' an 850 wagon at the moment...

PoisonousBeef
PoisonousBeef New Reader
8/15/10 6:34 p.m.

Bump for interior panels being re-installed and stereo being functional again. Also new price, I'd really like to move on from this car before summer ends.

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
8/15/10 6:45 p.m.

Car has a brand new full exhaust

Certailnly not installed, from the pics.

PoisonousBeef
PoisonousBeef New Reader
8/16/10 10:19 a.m.

In reply to triumph5:

Actually that exhaust IS brand new in the last year. It was put on by a local shop (can't remember if it was a Meineke or Monroe) and the PO paid something like $600 for it. I understand you are seeing a lot of surface rust but I personally took the PO to drop it off and pick it up so I can attest to its recent installation. Thanks for your non-interested concern.

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
8/16/10 10:29 a.m.

Brand new in last year, is not brand NEW. And the clamps look much more than a year old. I live in the NE, where this state puts salt down for drizzle, so I know what salt can do to an exhaust system.

And I was very interested in the Volvo, and take a posters words at face value, being true. I went from very interested to not so much anymore--but then why should you care when you're trying to sell something to this group if it's misrrepresented.

PoisonousBeef
PoisonousBeef New Reader
8/18/10 9:41 a.m.

In reply to triumph5:

If you are interested and want to be constructive then great, I'm glad you're in the thread and I think it would be awesome if we made a deal. However, I think making a snide comment about the exhaust and then accusing me of misrepresenting something is inflammatory and really unnecessary, when instead you could have just asked about the apparent discrepancy in the exhaust's condition. I can understand some resulting skepticism, but there is no reason to immediately become accusatory.

I am happy to concede the point that the exhaust is literally not "brand new." It has less than 500 miles on it, but that's probably what I should have said instead of using a phrase that can definitely be read to mean "100% unused." I hadn't been under the car recently myself and once the pictures were up I felt like that was an adequate disclosure, but in hindsight I should have edited the stated condition of the exhaust to explain the photos.

I'm not trying to misrepresent anything. That is exactly why there are over 20 pictures in this thread. I don't want to waste anyone's time, much less my own, bringing people to see the car thinking it's something that it's not. The point of all my photos is full disclosure.

Anyway, all of that said, car is still for sale. Last buyer (a GRM member) found another car before ever coming to see the Volvo. I'm happy to discuss in detail the condition of any element of the car and provide further pictures if there is something specific an interested buyer would like to see.

PoisonousBeef
PoisonousBeef New Reader
8/24/10 8:26 a.m.

I need a new furnace before winter. Price reduced to $1400. Someone take this Volvo home.

PoisonousBeef
PoisonousBeef New Reader
8/30/10 11:50 a.m.

Bump

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZQVywuUusiD6STG209zJIHnkfyI1SAJcaGRqEc8Uf3NVwdbIJAOzq39CDBTnIOoo