1 2 3
irish44j
irish44j Dork
8/26/11 11:27 a.m.

SOLDSOLDSOLDSOLD*

Background: My aunt's friend is recently a widow, and has to sell off this BMW quickly. So I'm trying to help out. Keep in mind as I write this up that she just needs the car gone, for whatever she can get for it. She's not going to try and make every penny its worth, whatever that is. Just more than what the "we buy junk cars" guys will give her.

I went and checked out the car today and took some pics. I am not a BMW expert by any means, but did try to check some areas that people suggested here and on bimmerforums.

1997 BMW 528i w/160k miles.

The good: Car was garage-kept for most of its life and has no rust anywhere that I can find. Paint has a few dings, but not bad for a 14-year-old car, and paint could use a serious detailing. Car was never in any accidents so all paint/panels are original. All trim, bumpers, and lights appear to be in good shape.

Interior: Again, seats look like they have 160k miles on them, but no rips, tears, or notable wear. Interior is a bit dirty, but in good shape overall. no cracks in dash or doors, dash looks very nice, etc.

Electrical: I tested out everything I could think of, and everything worked. Sunroof, all lights, stereo (w/6disc changer) sounded good and all buttons worked. HVAC system worked perfectly and A/C blew cool immediately after startup. Interior lights worked. Power seats worked (icnluding the memory controls). wipers worked. windows all went up and down fine, though back windows had a bit of clunky sound to them, but still went up and down fast.

Exhaust: looks newish, since there is only a bi tof surface rust on flanges and pipes. Was very quiet.

Diff: oily. probably needs new seals or something.

Tires: Kumho A/S with (guessing) 75% tread left in good shape, though a bit low on air.

Wheels: OEM mesh wheels, looked to be in good shape though a bit dirty.

Brakes: Rotors looked newer, and were cross-drilled.

Suspension: visual inspection didn't show anything unusual. swaybars still had original "do not use for towing" tags on them!

Engine: fired right up. No warning lights, no unusual noises. Purred like a kitten as far as I could tell. No fluids were present on the ground underneath, and I didn't see anything dripping. Couldn't see too well everywhere int he bay, but didn't see any particular signs of coolant leaks, oil leaks, etc.

THE BAD: Transmission seems to be shot. It's an A/T. Went into reverse and moved fine. All forward gearss (D, 1,2,3) were hardly existant. Basically felt like the car was in neutral unless you gave it alot of throttle, then it would slip, chatter, and clunk its way forward.

She didn't have all the maintenance history, but apparently her husband was proud of the car and maintained it at a local BMW dealer (not sure which one, but I have the VIN if someone wants to look up stuff).

In short, she is looking to have someone come take the car away (will have to be towed) and give her whatever amount of money is reasonable for it. SHe doesn't know what that is, nor do I. I hear these cars go for $3500-5000 in this condition IF the tranny was good. So with a bad tranny it would drop that number considerably, and likely into the $2011 under range.

SO......if anyone is interested in this, please touch base with me and I'll get you some contact info. Car is located in Clifton, VA (outside DC) and needs to be gone ASAP.

pics in next post.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
8/26/11 11:28 a.m.

note that the car has been outside for a few weeks, since the adjacent garage where it lived for the last decade is currently full of furniture and other things that are beign sold as well.

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
8/26/11 11:58 a.m.

Dang, I want...

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
8/26/11 12:05 p.m.

Ive wanted an E39 for YEARS...

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/26/11 12:25 p.m.

First e39 Challenge car??

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/26/11 12:26 p.m.

Does make you wonder how hard it is to convert those to a manual box.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
8/26/11 12:28 p.m.

you know you guys want to come get it. This is an opportunity to not have to deal with the typical BMW owners who want top dollar for their baby :D

As stated, I doubt any reasonable offers will be denied, since a tranny job on one of these probably costs as much as the car is worth. Worth a try, and she needs to sell it as quickly as possible.

Or, she'll get lucky and a tree will fall on it during this weekend's hurricane, and she can get full insurance value for it, lol.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
8/26/11 12:34 p.m.

I will also note that the car was owned by an older gentleman, so it is highly unlikely that it was driven hard/abused and certainly never tracked or anything like that.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
8/26/11 12:37 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Does make you wonder how hard it is to convert those to a manual box.

From what I've read, M/T was the standard transmission on the 528i (with AT optional), so I would imagine there are probably plenty of them around and would bolt right up. Not sure how much ECU issues there would be on a car of this age or not.

Just speculation though...

miatame
miatame HalfDork
8/26/11 12:49 p.m.

JY parts should be plentiful, but this isn't an enthusiast version of the car. I bet with a decent tranny it would be a great DD. I love those interiors. Very classy car overall.

I'd look at it if it were closer.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
8/26/11 1:00 p.m.

yeah, I was disappointed that I couldn't get it out of the driveway. Never driven an e39 before and was looking forward to seeing what all the talk is about :(

joepaluch
joepaluch Reader
8/26/11 1:40 p.m.

e39's are fun cars. Not sports cars, but very sporting for good 4 adult size sedan. I have 2002 e39. 3.0L six and auto with sport package. I love the car. I thas 129k on it I really hate to know what it is worth. I bought in 3 years old with 36k so I paid good money for it. At least I did not take all the depreciation.

Good luck.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/26/11 1:46 p.m.

At the right price (say $1k), it would be worth it for someone to go scoop it up, if for nothing other than to part it out. I bet you could double your money just through sweat equity.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
8/26/11 3:27 p.m.

If someone parts it out I could use the front clip....lol.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
8/26/11 3:48 p.m.

I'd buy it myself and part out, but I have too many projects and already 3 cars taking up all three garage bays. Deconstructed bimmer in the driveway would not make the wife happy, lol.

But one of you locals should....

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
8/26/11 8:20 p.m.

Mrs. Zero would LOVE this . . .even though it's auto . . .

Time to go digging to see what I can find.

PM coming to you Irish . . .

irish44j
irish44j Dork
9/12/11 10:01 p.m.

Mrs. Zero (as women tend to do) changed her mind, so car is still available. I believe the accepted offer by the seller was for $1200, so I would assume anyone else who makes a $1200 offer and can bring a trailer can take it away.

If interested, let me know via email and I'll put you in touch with the seller. Car is located in Virginia just outside DC.

I'm pretty tempted myself, except I have no interest in a BMW unless it's an E30M3

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
9/13/11 12:16 a.m.

^

Yup . . .she changed her mind in mid-swing (she has car ADD worst than I do )

FYI - The manual swap can be done fairly cheap using JY parts. I did a quick figure of ~$800 (used trans, used, driveshaft, new master and slave + fiddly bits (remove stock brake pedal and add clutch pedal and brake pedal). You could roll it in your garage on Friday night and drive it our Sunday evening.

If I didn't have the E34 530, I would've picked this up regardless of what she said

Thanks for the spot Irish. Hope ya can get it moved!!

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
9/13/11 7:02 a.m.

if you were closer, this would be in my garage right now. only with a chevy v8 swap underway

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/13/11 7:37 a.m.

This would be an ideal starting point for my LSx E39 project. That one doesn't happen for a few years still though....

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
9/14/11 6:43 p.m.
CharlieFoxtrot
CharlieFoxtrot New Reader
10/3/11 8:27 p.m.

Only ~$500 in fuel, round trip from FL. Is the car still there? Shopping for a car for my kid, would rebuild the tranny and go. Please send me contact info. Thanks, Irish!

kevin

familytruckster
familytruckster Reader
10/3/11 9:06 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: if you were closer, this would be in my garage right now. only with a chevy v8 swap underway

Well, if I had money it'd be in my driveway-getting a 5.0L/AOD swap!

CharlieFoxtrot
CharlieFoxtrot New Reader
10/3/11 11:04 p.m.

Hey Mike! Fairmont Kevin here! If this thing is still available, I'll be up to Montgomery County after I pick it up...

It's got a GM trans. Cheep rebuild!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
10/4/11 8:04 a.m.
familytruckster wrote:
CarKid1989 wrote: if you were closer, this would be in my garage right now. only with a chevy v8 swap underway
Well, if I had money it'd be in my driveway-getting a 5.0L/AOD swap!

I'm thinking about this for my E34 530i . . . but I don't know how to weld to make mounts

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RqMr9tce4Ef6KfJWbDSjC11xCD2qe6s5mJhNn6xVmXK6kI8vRhcBa6bdHaqvIHNb