1 2 3
Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/3/22 4:21 p.m.

A Fiat 500e is back on the Denver/Boulder CL, some assembly required, I know it was listed before quite a while back after the HV battery discharged itself too far while parked during pandemic.  $2400 asking, previously $3k, maybe cheat as a $2k car + the 2nd set of wheels bought separately?  I think the seller wants cash: "Trade only for an NSX or 911."

NHRA safety rules are the default for the Challenge, and EVs are covered in Sect 4G-4H (NEDRA says these were derived/simplified from their own safety regs).  Could also 'benchmark' safety rules from other race series w/ EVs (PPIHC-- although hopefully not the 120dB audio warning system; FIA-whatever; FSAE)

I see that there are now vehicle-size fire blankets which work on both ICE and EVs.  For ICE cars, the blanket extinguishes the fire by taking away oxygen.  For EVs, the blanket does nothing to extinguish the fire, instead it keeps the fire contained until the batteries finish incinerating themselves (probably along with the rest of the EV, but in theory nothing else).

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/22 9:08 p.m.

In reply to Oapfu :

Wow! Good thing that I have already completed my 1000 mile drive home from near there.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
12/5/22 12:09 p.m.

In reply to Oapfu :

You could probably bring that battery back. It'll have probably poor self-discharge rates, but ES'ers have seen some luck in slow trickle of voltage up to charge voltage with minimal amps, then once little internal resistance is confirmed hitting it with high amps to "shock" it slightly. For some reason it seems to knock off dendrite formation.

No idea what he would be okay with selling it for, however. It's undoubtedly seen degredation being ~8 years old, but only 50K miles...

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/5/22 1:02 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I looked into 500E's a little when it was posted before.  You are right, manually charging each cell could fix the battery.  Owners had quite a bit of criticism for the BMS overall, like it went into production with far too little test/development.

There has also been an old EV conversion 2WD Toyota pickup, now west of Denver/Boulder.  No firm asking price and the seller keeps deleting and reposting rather than editing one post to bump it to the top.  It is obviously the truck the Unique Mobility guy bought, but I think he is not the current seller.  Not exactly high performance.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/5/22 4:57 p.m.

In reply to Oapfu :

Weird....   the ad has been flagged for removal

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UEsPhGvNIQZGYVXnvksKxvQ0jKVjihrwPOJIpKqBZy2T0N6RcF8acsqjoQ5SK0ON