1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/8/19 8:58 a.m.

Speak now or forever hold your peace. I'm making the $2000 Challenge Rules (password is miata) official tomorrow. If you have something else to say about them, say it in this thread and say it ASAP.

Thanks!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/19 9:08 a.m.

There is no rule about wartburgs being eligible no matter what the stability factor is or how much was spent on them 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
12/8/19 9:59 a.m.

Sent a pm about stickers...

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/8/19 9:59 a.m.

Nicpicking now.

Exemption for 

Wheel lug nuts, wheel studs and/or wheel bolts

Does that include those items used on wheel adapters?

This exemption

Vehicle title, tax, and registration fees.

Used to be worded as "cost to title and register."  I asked at one point about paying a widow for her time to meet me at the DMV in order to get title and was told that's exempt. Could the wording currently used be loosened but only for those wanting to title their car. Not so loose that repairs are exempt. 

Edit A better example would be paying a bond for a bonded title.

Stampie
12/8/19 10:03 a.m.

The Stampie Rule: Parts borrowed at the event must be added to the budget at purchase price or fair market value.

Can that be changed so that parts can be borrowed at any time?

Patrick
12/8/19 10:05 a.m.
Stampie said:

The Stampie Rule: Parts borrowed at the event must be added to the budget at purchase price or fair market value.

Can that be changed so that parts can be borrowed at any time?

That would be as simple as making it say for the event instead of at the event

Stampie
12/8/19 10:08 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

yes

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
12/8/19 10:28 a.m.

*** I struggled with this and started a thread, then used common sense. I did not get 5 users on most items.

A copy of a GRM message board thread where at least 5 users with more than 50 posts have agreed with a proposed fair market value for your item.

1) GRM message board thread - yes, good source with knowledge

2) at least 5 users, - questionable, seems 3 would be more realistic.

3) more than 50 post - yes, prevents tomfoolery

*** Mostly calcification here, these were questions I had while prepping this year.

If something is not listed as budget exempt in the $2000 Challenge rules, it is not exempt. These items are budget exempt:

• Seat belt or harness - does this include forged eyes, safety wire and backing plates?

• Fire extinguisher - Is a nrha approved mount budget neutral?

• Roll bar padding

• Wheel lug nuts, wheel studs and/or wheel bolts

• Four tires plus the costs to mount and balance them. - I seriously thought about a dually but I understand limits. No biggie.

• One window net - again is the mounting hardware included?

*** Thank you, this really helps ***

Cooling systems may be modified as much as you’d like. We highly recommend running without antifreeze to reduce track damage in the event of a cooling system failure.

****** Done  with Rules ******

I would suggest a separate section that expands on some simple questions and explains limits. Indexed so we could search it easily so if someone had a question about mounting a fire extinguisher they could get guidance with out repeated postings etc.

I will offer to help writing a web page or what ever that could address this. Another possibility is hot linking to specific posts that address the issue clearly.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/8/19 10:29 a.m.

Question about paint:

I have about 40$ worth of ugly yellow paint on the CRX, and want to change the livery this year. 

The rules indicate that unless I remove all the yellow paint I have to include it in the budget, even though it would be 100% covered with a new coat of paint. 

Do I really have to remove the paint to cancel it from the budget, or is it ok if I just paint over it?

davbro
davbro New Reader
12/8/19 5:28 p.m.

Is the crap can clause gone?  If i want to run my lemons car would i have to show all my non-existent documentation?

Patrick
12/8/19 5:32 p.m.

I think lots of lemons cars aren't really in the spirit of the challenge anymore, and I thought the crapcan clause disappeared several years ago.  

davbro
davbro New Reader
12/8/19 5:40 p.m.

I guess i didnt notice that.  I ran mine in 2015, but i have not had a chance to race it since then so i have not entered the challenge....but i plan to do a couple races next year so i was planning on taking it to the challenge.

BMW_e3
BMW_e3 New Reader
12/8/19 8:49 p.m.

This is way too late to the discussion for this revision, but I have always thought an exemption on racing seats would be an obvious addition. Many of these cars have seats that are really behind the times on safety. Exempting race seats may encourage people towards a safer build.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/9/19 7:09 a.m.

Thanks for putting this out for review, and tolerating our bitching. I think this version of rules is more direct and simpler to digest vs. last year.

Bravo!

Tom Suddard
12/9/19 2:46 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. In a few cases, I ignored it here. If a rule seems particularly onerous, it's probably because we are subtly nudging you towards the easier option–like finding actual transactions for FMV instead of message board consensus. 

The rules are now live and registration is open.

Patrick
12/9/19 3:01 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. In a few cases, I ignored it here. If a rule seems particularly onerous, it's probably because we are subtly nudging you towards the easier option–like finding actual transactions for FMV instead of message board consensus. 

In

Tom Suddard
12/9/19 3:25 p.m.

Psst... Patrick if you send me a high-res picture of your car I'll put it on the GRM homepage. 

Patrick
12/9/19 4:02 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Done.  (See you friday?)

Tom Suddard
12/9/19 4:10 p.m.

Woohoo! And yep, I'll be at PRI until Saturday afternoon.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
12/9/19 7:34 p.m.

Aww i was too late. I was going to plead my case on how parachutes should be exempt falling under a safety class for faster vehicles. Maybe next year. Lol

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/9/19 9:42 p.m.
Patrick said:
Tom Suddard said:

registration is open.

In

DAMNIT!

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/10/19 9:35 a.m.

I bought a parts car last year for X and sold it down to zero.  It was not entered obviously.  I have a stash of documented zero dollar parts.  May I trade those parts for stuff to be used on this years entry?  

Stampie
12/10/19 11:19 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Are they related to your current build?  IIRC your car last year was a Mustang but this one is a DSM. That makes the related clause harder.  Is there anything from your zeroed out parts you could use on the DSM?  Also you'd have to claim all the recovery on this years budget. 

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
12/10/19 11:31 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

I'll just ignore you back?  laugh

I went to the forum because I wind up with stuff given to me and have no idea what's it's worth. I didn't make swap meets to have a reference. My new job may open time to do that.

I want to register but I'm not sure I can make it this year. Dang it.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/10/19 11:58 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yes the cars are different.  I'm sure I could use the shift knob or something along those lines or some of the bushings etc.  

1 2

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
XVqtX9CbdtAiyPktJBTjqBS3UriS3uZx8K8prc75UYi84DWSohgtM4oDoV4SNiQl