1 2 3 ... 5
eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
8/22/19 7:08 a.m.

...or how to cut a few thousands off your ET on the drag strip.

We're about 9 weeks out from the challenge, so it's about time for everyone to start eating more junk food as you live in the garage trying to get done in time.  I think we've had weight loss threads here before, but I don't know if we tied any of them to the challenge. 

My plan is to drop 10 lbs before the challenge, which should be a reasonable goal for the amount of time we have.  I'm 172 lbs and "skinny" fat.  I work a desk job, so I'm just not in good shape.  My method to get there is simple, just eat better, and start exercising.  I'm trying to cut out sodas and eat out less.  Eating at home more is easy this week, as the street in front of my house is torn up, and I don't want to drive on it until it's been fixed.  Next week when it's done will be the test of willpower.  As for working out, I have an exercise bike I need to get back to using - maybe this'll be the weekend.  I'll try to report in every week or so with progress.

Anyone want to join in?  Heck, even if your goal is to not gain weight before the challenge!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/19 7:49 a.m.

I’ll get on the scale later and see what my baseline is

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/19 7:59 a.m.

172? Are you 4' 3"? 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
8/22/19 8:47 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

172? Are you 4' 3"? 

Nope - 6'.  So, I'm well inside the healthy BMI range, if you can trust BMI.  However, due to my utter lack of exercise, and my sitting all day, I actually have to wear  38" waist pants, although one or two of my 36" waist shorts sort of fit me now.  If I could just replace the fat with muscle and not lose any weight, I'd be pretty happy with that, too.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/22/19 8:55 a.m.

I'm on the same path--I was at 179 at the beginning of the month and am at 163 today. It's nice to be able to button my pants again blush

BMI is a bunch of baloney, btw. The formula is 190 years old and is rooted in casual observation, not any hard science.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/22/19 9:10 a.m.

I couldn't get off work for the challenge this year, but I'm in the process of doing this. I'm shooting for a 10 lb drop, which probably won't make much of a difference in my ES miata, but can't hurt.

I've always been thin, but I accumulate belly fat, and the last few years my resting glucose level has hovered right around 100 to 102, which is just at or above the reference range. Abdominal fat is also a risk factor for heart attacks.

I'm 6 feet, and trying to get to and stay at 160. The problem for me is that my set point has crept up. I've had good success so far, just by cutting out foods with refined sugars.

I don't drink soda, and rarely drink any alcohol, so that part's easy.

The challenge for me it's going to be keeping my weight down long enough for a shift in my set point. That gets tougher as you age, and I'm going to be 64 next month.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/22/19 9:24 a.m.

My goal is also to drop 10 pounds, or stay the same weight and drop 2 inches on my waist.

Good luck

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/22/19 9:30 a.m.

225lbs at 5'9.

I'm fat. Horsepower is easier....

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
8/22/19 10:42 a.m.

Hmmm weighed in a 218 this morning. Could probably hit 200 by the challenge. 

What is the prize? 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
8/22/19 11:33 a.m.
Andy Neuman said:

What is the prize? 

A quicker drag time ( 10 lbs is probably a hundredth of a second or so), and a healthier you!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/22/19 3:08 p.m.

I'll "weigh in" tomorrow morning. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
8/22/19 6:05 p.m.

I am in as well.  I will weigh in tomorrow morning.

Robbie
8/23/19 11:14 a.m.

182 (181.8 lol)

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
8/23/19 1:37 p.m.

210.8 lbs

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/23/19 2:18 p.m.

199.4 pounds.

39" waist at the fattest point.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
8/23/19 3:01 p.m.

Ugh, i need to do this.  great reason to start.  weighing in tonight.  

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/23/19 4:13 p.m.

10 lbs would put me right about where I want to be, but it may be challenging for me to get there. That last 10 lbs has been resistant. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
8/25/19 1:33 p.m.

A bit of a setback this weekend, somehow I gained 4 lbs on Saturday.  I'll be working that off for a bit.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/19 1:42 p.m.

My starting point is 257 

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
8/27/19 11:34 a.m.

Sigh. I should do this.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
8/27/19 12:00 p.m.

Looks like a good chunk of that weekend weight gain was water.  I think I drank over half a gallon at the rallycross, and it wasn't hot enough for me to sweat much.  Finally hit the exercise bike this morning - only managed 15 minutes, though, I am way too out of shape.  Tomorrow might be dangerous - meeting up with coworkers after work for dinner out at a place that has awesome chicken tenders and bbq sandwiches.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
8/27/19 12:50 p.m.

This may be why I'm faster than my team mates in our 110hp car.  155 for the last 25 years, my shape has changed a little but I weigh the same.   I'm afraid to work out, don't want to get too buff.  Maybe I'll do a weight gain challenge, of all muscle.

laughdevilcryingenlightened

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
8/27/19 6:27 p.m.

I have somehow gained 4 lbs.  This sucks!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
8/27/19 6:49 p.m.
pimpm3 said:

Piece of advice I’ve read, but have a hard time following, is just weigh in once a week, at the same time.  Your weight can vary by a few pounds during any given day.  

Robbie
8/27/19 9:50 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
pimpm3 said:

Piece of advice I’ve read, but have a hard time following, is just weigh in once a week, at the same time.  Your weight can vary by a few pounds during any given day.  

We have a scale just sitting on the bathroom floor. I weigh myself like 6/7/8 times a day because I'm a nerd.

I'm usually lightest right before dinner and heaviest right before bed. The difference can easily be 3 lbs. 

Salty food (not like eating some potato chips, more like going out for sit down breakfast and dinner on the same day) will make me carry 3-5 lbs of bloat weight for the next day or two.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HLAgPrhIyzDDjId9H2ATp4Ze8sWJWLFBfABWczCEgbDnqMlE7pJfg2PD5tEPwc1h