02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
7/27/17 7:21 a.m.

2001 BMW 525i, 5-speed manual, Cosmos Black over Black leather, 200k miles. Sport & Premium packages, Style 5 17” wheels with BFG Sport Comp-2 235/45-17.

The Good: It’s a straight six, manual transmission BMW. Extensive maintenance (documented) over the ten years and 100k miles I’ve had it, including a fully rebuilt suspension with Bilstein HD shocks & struts along the way. Runs and drives great, especially considering the age and mileage. Had exactly one CEL in my ownership (which was entirely my fault, having somehow missed a spark plug change interval). Interior has held up well (driver’s seat shows some wear, unsurprisingly), stereo sounds great (no dead pixels either), automatic climate control works fine, heated seats too. A very nice place to spend time.

The Bad: It’s a 200k mile, 16 year old BMW. It’s showing its age, and it’s due for some maintenance work, most notably the 100k mile cooling system replacement recommended for the M54 engine (about $600 in parts). The airbag light is on; the code indicates it’s the battery safety disconnect (the thing that pops the positive connection off in an accident).

The Ugly: Prior to my ownership, it seems to have been hit and repaired; those repairs are now showing their age. Paint on the upper surface of the trunk lid and roof are dulling. The clear coat was starting to peel in a couple spots. There is rust starting to break out in the right rear wheel arch and the left rocker panel. I tried to repair some of the problem areas, but my bodywork skills are limited, and the rust is now coming back a few years later.

It would be a great car for someone with better bodywork skills than mine, or someone who isn’t bothered by a little rust. Comes with a full two-volume Bentley manual.

GRM price is $1500. Consider partial trades for set of winter wheels and tires for my new E82 (16 or 17, ~ET47). Car is in NY state.

Useful add-ons:

Full set of 15” Arctic Altimax snows with one season on them (tons of tread left) on alloy wheels. These will fit the 525i and 528i, but not the 530i or 540i. $350

Thule roof rack that fits the special BMW roof mounts with two bike carriers. $200

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/27/17 8:58 a.m.

If you don't sell the snows with it, I might be interested. Depends on what I wind up doing long-term with my 528i.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
7/27/17 9:28 a.m.
psteav wrote: If you don't sell the snows with it, I might be interested. Depends on what I wind up doing long-term with my 528i.

Cool. I'll let you know what happens.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
7/31/17 7:27 p.m.

What can I do to put one of you in this fine automobile? Save me from dealing with the ordeal of CL! Make me an offer. I'd much rather it go to someone here than a 16 year old with a glazed look and a sideways hat.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
7/31/17 8:44 p.m.

I'd love to have it but I have more cars than space now, I love e39s also.

Justjim75
Justjim75
8/1/17 7:00 p.m.

Ok, I've been lurking for months and your ad was what pushed me over the edge. My name is Jim and I believe GRM is my long lost family. I'm in Montgomery Al and I really need German Rear Wheel Drive Manual Transmission or G.R.W.D.M.T. and all of its terrible side effects. Now what? I can come up with some money but will also need to fly and drive or ride and drive (it will make it right?) so I'm open to any and all suggestions. Oh, and my best friend is a retired Mercedes/BMW dealership mechanic so I know what I'm getting myself into both good and expensive. Haha, I didn't say Bad right? My cell is 334 space 202 space 6275

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
8/1/17 8:02 p.m.
Justjim75 wrote: Ok, I've been lurking for months and your ad was what pushed me over the edge. My name is Jim and I believe GRM is my long lost family. I'm in Montgomery Al and I really need German Rear Wheel Drive Manual Transmission or G.R.W.D.M.T. and all of its terrible side effects. Now what? I can come up with some money but will also need to fly and drive or ride and drive (it will make it right?) so I'm open to any and all suggestions. Oh, and my best friend is a retired Mercedes/BMW dealership mechanic so I know what I'm getting myself into both good and expensive. Haha, I didn't say Bad right? My cell is 334 space 202 space 6275

I'm only too happy to enable you, Jim. However, I just spoke to a long-time friend of mine today who, quite unexpectedly, expressed interest. He asked for a day or two to see if he can sell the idea, so when I hear from him, I'll let you know where we stand. If he passes, I'll touch base with you and we can sort out the details.

Obviously I can't guarantee anything 100%, but I would have no concerns getting in the car and driving that distance.

Welcome to the (mildly dysfunctional) GRM family....

Justjim75
Justjim75 New Reader
8/1/17 9:01 p.m.

The mildly dysfunctional part makes me the black sheep oldest brother with a "history"

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
8/5/17 3:00 p.m.

Just sent you a PM, Jim. The car, snow tires, and roof rack are now sold.

Justjim75
Justjim75 New Reader
8/5/17 5:08 p.m.

Glad to hear it......for your sake!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
20RP3RSI0Exxi1mW1n9THX4j2TbABnlyFEz25tPBbfkqmDOI1DIJuql0KekaqYZq